facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 13, 2004, 06:24 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Poll: National Anthem before each game

Do you think it will be a good idea to kick off the cricket matches (not only the ODIs/tests we host, but also domestic leaugue matches) with the national anthem? I'd personally like to see it happening. I'm not quite sure if it will increase the sense of patriotism among our players, but it'll be a good gesture nonetheless.

(This poll was created at the request of Carte Blanche)

Old June 13, 2004, 07:31 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

why can't CB open the poll!
anyway, i like the idea. but i'm more on it for oid/test matches, domestic matches, since both are native team. it doesn't matter.
the question is, whether to play both. if we play ours, no doubt, opponents will want to do the same too.
Old June 13, 2004, 10:37 PM
Test Cricketer

No! Playing the national anthem again and again would be over kill and boring. Perhaps anthems of BOTH teams can be played in finals and/or when they give trophies.
Old June 14, 2004, 02:23 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't like patriotism in general as far as long run results, so no.

But I am sure such an action will have both "good" and "bad" (depending on the observer) short term effects.
Old June 14, 2004, 03:11 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
I don't like patriotism in general as far as long run results
ekta natok er kotha mone pore jachhe jekhane etka tiya pakhi bolto "TUI RAZAKAR!"
Old June 14, 2004, 03:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

I dont see the point of playing it in domestic/first class games. But in international matches its a great idea.
Old June 15, 2004, 06:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

the idea is not good, what do u think its not a soccer game with 50, 60, 70 thousand people singing the anthem along with you, theres not that type of crowd in cricket, unless, your in eden gardens, or in some of the aussie grounds. It would be an embarrsament, and i dont think the crowd will go along with it.
Old June 15, 2004, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BDFan
Quote:
I don't like patriotism in general as far as long run results
ekta natok er kotha mone pore jachhe jekhane etka tiya pakhi bolto "TUI RAZAKAR!"
Bohubrihee.
Old June 15, 2004, 08:52 AM
Test Cricketer

In Indo-Pak subcontinent, before liberation, in the cinema hall, movies were started with national anthem. But this instrument was being used for the shake of colonial administration.

British Govt. wanted to get tribute to their nation not for native. French, Dutch, Portugal also maintained this honoring system to national anthem in their colonial states.

Subsequently after liberation India did not continue it, even in West Pak it was also discontinued but Pakis kept this system in the then East Pakistan, obviously for colonial domination purpose. I don't know what is now in BD?

In a mass gathering, and as people are not highly aware, anthem does not get proper respect and attention in our country.

In national level game and sports National Anthem is not required here and there and always.

For specific ceremony, that is different, I think.
Old June 15, 2004, 01:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default i agree tho for different reasons

Quote:
I don't like patriotism in general as far as long run results, so no.

But I am sure such an action will have both "good" and "bad" (depending on the observer) short term effects.
i also dislike patriotism...its a man made folly...under the guise of patriotism citizens of any nation are exploited. no need for anthems. just play the game
Old June 17, 2004, 09:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

i think it gona waste of time. Nother way to do it is nationl anthem can use as a background music in drinks break...:P
Old June 17, 2004, 11:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

i also dislike patriotism...its a man made folly...under the guise of patriotism citizens of any nation are exploited. no need for anthems. just play the game
We're afraid to play the national anthem because the crowd will disrespect it?Apparently not too many people responding to this thread feel particularly patriotic. Another suggestion was to use it for background entertainment during the drinks break? How about during a half-time show or lunch break - maybe it could be made into a hip hop track to make it more appealing?

As for getting rid of nations and anthems altogether - wow - I suppose we can always recite holy scriptures to begin test matches, can't we?

How sad.

[Edited on 18-6-2004 by rafiq]
Old June 17, 2004, 11:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Humans generally need a cause to motivate them. Patriotism is as good as any ( let us not get into the whole "logic behind patriotism" debate). The utility of patriotism if harnessed effectively is quite impressive. But to maximize the impact the national anthem needs to be used on select occasions such as regional finals, cup finals, & international matches.