facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 28, 2007, 07:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bangladesh report cards for the ODI series against Sri Lanka

Bangladesh report cards for the ODI series against Sri Lanka

Despite the hint of competitiveness in the first and third ODI, Bangladesh were soundly thrashed in the recently completed ODI series against Sri Lanka. Bowlers did their best to keep Bangladesh in the contention of winning matches while batsmen failed to deliver when mattered most.

Overall ODI team rating : 6

Batting : Bangladesh batting were in complete disarray throughout the tour and it continued in the three-match ODI series. 165 all out in the first ODI was the highest team total for Bangladesh and it clearly shows the lack of application from our batsmen. Four top order batsmen scored on an average 50.33 runs between them and the tail failed to wag to complete the sorry affair.
Rating : 4

Bowling : Bowlers tried their best on every occasions with very little total to play with. They created perfect opportunities to win the series by restricting Sri Lanka to modest totals in the 1st and 3rd ODI, but was completely undone by the senseless batting. There were genuine lack of 3rd seamer and poor show from Shakib Al Hasan were the blemishes for the much disciplined bowling attack.
Rating : 9

Fielding : Except stunning catch by Tamim Iqbal in the 3rd ODI, fielding was really woeful by any standard. Butter fingered fielder's spilled countless catches on crucial occasions to let Sri Lanka off the hook and threw the advantage away. Ground fielding was sloppy and run out chances were never grabbed to enforce pressure on the much vaunted Sri Lanka batting.
Rating : 5

Captaincy : A refreshing change on the field with more positive attitudes, good use of bowlers and field settings, but the captain failed to lead from the front. On the field, the body languages of the players weren't great, shoulders dropped halfway through the game and the undying spirit was absent. He was as good as a non-performing captain and was very prolific in giving out excuses after each and every defeat. His early days, but I seriously want him talk more with the bat than mouth.
Rating : 6

Individual rating

Tamim Iqbal : Except 3rd ODI, Tamim failed to live up to the expectation partly due to unwise change of batting style. He did his best in the 3rd ODI to bag a consolation win in the dead rubber but was denied by the routine display from others.

Shahriar Nafees : Looked good in the first ODI until he played a nothing shot to complete the top order collapse. Struggled in the 2nd ODI and was left out for the 3rd. He was the last minute addition due to captain's choice but completely failed to honor the faith.

Javed Omar : Played only in the 3rd ODI and successfully managed a nice 4th ball duck only to slap his captain’s face who preferred him over Nafees.
Rating : 0

Musfiqur Rahim : He managed two ducks out of 3 innings and only scored 28 runs which were well below the expectations from everyone. His keeping was OK with occasional fumble, managed to keep his voice loud throughout the series to direct fielders the right end to throw in.

Shakib Al Hasan : Worst performer of the series with both bat and ball. He looked like a fish out of water, and managed only 15 runs in 3 innings and 1 wicket conceding 93 runs.
Rating : 1

Aftab Ahmed : 66 runs at an average of 22.00 with a strike rate of 53.66, not a typical Aftab Ahmed statistics. His overcautious attitude killed his natural game and he should stop putting unnecessary pressure on him. Batting at number 6 didn't help him at all.

Mohammad Ashraful : After getting a 3-0 debut thrash as a Test captain, Mohammad Ashraful failed to lead the team from the front in the ODI series. His 53 runs in 3 innings was never enough to inspire the struggling top order or provide some breathing space. Captaincy failed to add positives to his ODI batting and he managed to find innovative ways to get out leaving the team in disarray.

Farhad Reza : His bowling looked better than his batting but none of them were effective enough to occupy a place in any international side. Ability to play big shots mean nothing when a batsmen can manage only 37 runs playing all 3 matches of the series.
Rating : 3

Abdur Razzak : Razzak continued picking wickets at crucial time but went over 5 runs an over which is way higher than his career economy of 3.98. First ODI 28 shows his capability as a batsman but he never tries to use his batting potential. Not a thinking cricketer.
Rating : 7

Tushar Imran : He hasn’t done any harm to his reputation as “international chocker” in the ODI series. 4 runs in two innings with a strike rate of 11.76 can never be the stat of a number 3 batsman, not even in the ACC Women’s tournament where runs were hard to come by.

Mahmudullah Riyad : 36 runs and 2 wickets for 28 runs from 5 overs, not a spectacular debut, but effective enough to occupy the all-rounder slot of the ODI team. He tried to keep everything simple and that’s the way to have a long international career.

Syed Rasel : The unsung hero of Bangladesh bowling attack finished at the top taking 5 wickets with an impressive 3.57 economy rate. All the big guns of Sri Lanka cricket had no answer to his impeccable line and length, and his bunny was none other than Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene who struggled before bowing out to the pavilion twice. One of the best new ball bowlers of modern ODI cricket.
Rating : 8

Mashrafe Mortaza : The highest wicket taker of 2006 calendar year started the series well with an impressive 2 for 31 from 10 overs. He could not make the rest two ODIs due to sprained ankle and Bangladesh were no way near “1000 times better outfit” in the remaining two matches.

Shahadat Hossain : Bowling with the heart isn’t helping Shahadat or Bangladesh to make regular breakthrough with the new ball. The lanky pace bowler must use his head to utilize his pace and aggression in a more effective way to seal a place in the ODI team.

Last edited by Miraz; July 28, 2007 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old July 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

A BC classic ,a very good thread it was nice to read it and I also liked the ratings.
Old July 28, 2007, 08:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash and Tamim

Excellent read Miraz bhai! I like your honesty of the ratings as well! The only problem was that I wouldnt be too harsh on Reza. He hit many sixes and the only ODI he didnt socre over 25 was the last because of a close run-out. So although he didnt play his best he should at lest be given a 5. The others were perfect.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i wouldnt even give the team a 4 in batting...

rajib should get a 7 for bowling...wasn't too expensive. otherwise i agree...and you left out mash who should a get a 9 in the 1 game he played.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 28, 2007, 10:28 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
rajib should get a 7 for bowling...wasn't too expensive. otherwise i agree...and you left out mash who should a get a 9 in the 1 game he played.
Here's Mash, you missed bro, it's there.

I could not give him more than 7 as he is now considered as an all-rounder and we expect some contribution with the bat.

Mashrafe Moratza : The highest wicket taker of 2006 calendar year started the series well with an impressive 2 for 31 from 10 overs. He could not make the rest two ODIs due to sprained ankle and Bangladesh were no way near “1000 times better outfit” in the remaining two matches.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Miraz bhai, wheres the score for Captaincy???
Old July 28, 2007, 11:05 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Miraz bhai, wheres the score for Captaincy???
Good point.

Captaincy rating added.
Old July 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful, and Mushfiq

Great thread! I'm really happy with Syed Rasel in the ODI series who played the best and his rate was 8. Rasel did a superb bowling! Hope he keeps the good work up, and that all the other bowlers can bowl like him too.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif

Awesome thread. Couldnt disagree with anything except for the comment on Mahmudullah Riyad. 36 runs and 2 wickets against Sri Lanka is awesome.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Musfiqur Rahim : He managed two ducks out of 3 innings and only scored 28 runs which were well below the expectations from everyone. His keeping was OK with occasional fumble, managed to keep his voice loud throughout the series to direct fielders the right end to throw in.
I would give him 4 more too many mistake behind the stumps. I would not be bashing his batting failure It happens sometime but he needs more practise behind the stumps.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

Great Thread!!Liked the rating.
Old July 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think Riyad's rating is a bit high because he is playing in the team as an allrounder... his bowling definitely needs more work. His batting was definitely very composed and risk free. However, he just played one match so it is too early to get excited about him. I will give Riyad 5.5.

I also disagree with Farhad's rating, I think he did a fair job as a third pacer. His batting was below par... ( his batting was OK in first match) he was run out in ODI was very unlucky and his partner deserves a part of the blame for that. Farhad deserved 4.5.

Regarding Shakib's bowling, I think he sucked in the first ODI, but he did better in 2nd and 3rd ODI. As the fifth bowling option of the team he deserved a rating better than 1 (Shakib), even though his batting sucked.

Even though I love Mushy, his keeping was very ordinary in this series and his bat did not talk (shuffling him around did not help). I think he deserves something less than 6, may be 4.5 (Mushy).

One more thing, the over all bowling performance was rated as 9, but best rating given for a bowler is 8 (Rasel) and others got 7's and 6's. I guess you are being a little difficult on individual ratings.

Last edited by cricket_pagol; July 28, 2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old July 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
One more thing, the over all bowling performance was rated as 9, but best rating given for a bowler is 8 (Rasel) and others got 7's and 6's. I guess you are being a little difficult on individual ratings.
Good observation.

It's the synergy effect. Individual grades not necessarily dictate the overall grade.
Old July 28, 2007, 04:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Nice thread Miraz bhai
Old July 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Bangladesh report cards for the ODI series against Sri Lanka

By your own admission, he scored two ducks out of three . I am not sure how you can say his keeping was OK. He dropped two catches in the final match. His keeping has never been OK. He still scores 6 which presumably means better than average. When does someone get 1 or 2 ?

We all like Mushfiq and he would make my side automatically as a batsman in tests. Because of his batting he will keep his wk spot in ODI's as well. But let's be honest, he had a bad ODI series. There is no other way to put it.

Rasel was the outstanding Bangladeshi player of the tournament. He usually is. I have always been surprised by the inventive phrases used by arbitrary selectors to keep him [ and Aftab ] out of the test team.
Old July 28, 2007, 07:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk
By your own admission, he scored two ducks out of three . I am not sure how you can say his keeping was OK. He dropped two catches in the final match. His keeping has never been OK. He still scores 6 which presumably means better than average. When does someone get 1 or 2 ?

We all like Mushfiq and he would make my side automatically as a batsman in tests. Because of his batting he will keep his wk spot in ODI's as well. But let's be honest, he had a bad ODI series. There is no other way to put it.

Rasel was the outstanding Bangladeshi player of the tournament. He usually is. I have always been surprised by the inventive phrases used by arbitrary selectors to keep him [ and Aftab ] out of the test team.
Agree with you, we have been to nice to Mushfiq. However my bashing does not mean he should be dropped.
Old July 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

too many young inexperienced side is what Bangladesh is paying the price... think about it, a good team has only at most three developing cricketers and the rest developed cricketers. everybody in the Bangladesh team is a Developing player expecting consistency out of this team is like asking for gold from a beggar.

Good thread, Miraz Bhai(more of an elder/uncle to me), Banlgadesh is paying a grave price fo excluding experienced players and the "lost generation" " comment stolen from gertrude stein and another BC member where players like Al shahriar, Kapali, Ehsanul Haque are left out. so Rafique and HB not being in ODI costed us a bit. but it looks like they are both out of form.

Last edited by Rifat; July 28, 2007 at 09:01 PM..
Old July 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
Street Cricketer

ur wrong about nafees, nafees did well in the first odi, and looked very good. in the second odi he was unlucky. he was the best batsman. tamim in fact did worse than nafees. the only thing that saved him was the last odi. if nafees got to play the last odi, he could have done well i believe. the selectors are very bad.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Cant agree with many of the ratings given here by Miraz bhai. Nafees was the best batsman in the first ODI and he undoubtedly played a bad shot to get out when he was fully set. But he gets a lower rating than Mushfiq, who didnt do any better than Nafees in the first match, with two more ducks to show for. He has shown glimses of improvement with his keeping, but more is expected of him.

In fact, I couldnt make a lot of sense out of most ratings. Although overall team ratings seem justified, the standard of dishing out these ratings hasnt been maintained.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:39 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahir
Cant agree with many of the ratings given here by Miraz bhai. Nafees was the best batsman in the first ODI and he undoubtedly played a bad shot to get out when he was fully set. But he gets a lower rating than Mushfiq, who didnt do any better than Nafees in the first match, with two more ducks to show for. He has shown glimses of improvement with his keeping, but more is expected of him.

In fact, I couldnt make a lot of sense out of most ratings. Although overall team ratings seem justified, the standard of dishing out these ratings hasnt been maintained.
While I admit your concern about Mushfiq's rating, the rest of your comment is too generalized to comment.

Some members are in complete agreement with the ratings, you are probably at the other extreme and that only shows the thought diversity of BC members.

Scoring a 33 and then getting out playing stupid shot when team needed most doesn't make anyone "the best batsman of that particular ODI" and don't forget his clueless batting in the 2nd ODI.

About Mushfiq, I have watched all 3 ODI matches live, except two missed opportunities the rest were not chances in its true meaning. He always maintained a lively presence behind the stump with loud directions. IMO, his keeping role was OK. About his batting, after a reasonable show in the 1st ODI, change of batting order didn't help him but definitely he should have done way better with the bat.

Lastly, a rating of 6 is never above average, it can be hardly an average rating.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:50 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahir

Ditto.

Quote:
Javed Omar : Played only in the 3rd ODI and successfully managed a nice 4th ball duck only to slap his captain’s face who preferred him over Nafees.

Too harsh on JO. Well, he was out for a duck, but that may happen in cricket. And also this is just the second duck of his career. If its like slapping than, Ash also did it many times during his career.

On the other hand, Mushfiqur Rahim, despite two ducks and very poor wicket keeping gets 6, thanks to his loud voice behind the stumps.

Last edited by BD-Shardul; July 29, 2007 at 05:03 AM..
Old July 29, 2007, 11:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Scoring a 33 and then getting out playing stupid shot when team needed most doesn't make anyone "the best batsman of that particular ODI" and don't forget his clueless batting in the 2nd ODI.
He was the best while he lasted. When do our batsmen not get out with an idiotic shot ? This is not to argue for argument's sakes... just my viewpoint. I always thought your perspective about our team, players, n cricket overall had similarities with mine.

About Mushfiq, I'm personally a huge fan of his, and his presence behind the stumps is unmistakable. His keeping efficiency isnt top-class, and that we all know. He's dropping a few catches that a young, agile keeper like him is expected to grab. About the batting order in the last two matches, it infact was the way I personally want it : Mushy batting high, at 3 preferably. But he failed there. Well, i sure hope that he will be given more chances there to prove himself.