facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 26, 2017, 04:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib
Default BCB president behind Mehedi Hasan's inclusion for ODIs

Ten days after announcing that it was his decision to drop Mahmudullah for the Colombo Test, BCB president Nazmul Hassan has said he was behind the decision to pick Mehedi Hasan for the ODIs against Sri Lanka.

Mehedi had returned to Dhaka from Colombo on March 20 with the other Test players who were not part of the ODI squad that was announced the previous week. But three days later he was added to the ODI side, for the first time in his career.

Hassan said that he first called chief selector Minhajul Abedin, telling him to include Mehedi in the ODI squad, before calling the player himself to ask him to make plans to return to Sri Lanka. He said Mehedi's inclusion in the playing XI for the first ODI was only decided on only after the team arrived at the Dambulla ground; there was discussion around whether left-arm spinner Sunzamul Islam could be added to the XI instead.

"I called up [Minhajul Abedin] Nannu to send over [Mehedi Hasan] Miraz," Hassan said. "I found out he is in Khulna, and told him that he must get back to Sri Lanka. Basically we wanted to keep him as an option because they have a number of quality left-hand batsmen. Miraz had been bowling well in the Tests and this is a very important series for us. But when I sat with the team that morning [of the ODI], it still wasn't decided if Miraz or Sunzamul [Islam] would be playing. It was finalised after coming to the ground."

Mehedi opened the bowling in the chase of 325 in Dambulla, sending down all ten over for figures of 2 for 43.

Last week when Hassan had spoken about his role in the Mahmudullah exclusion, he said that he takes "all the decisions". He has been vocal about selection decisions since the Afghanistan ODI series last September, and during the Bangladesh Premier League too. Incidentally, in June 2016 Hassan had said that the revamped selection committee would cut down his role in selection decisions.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lank...y/1088588.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papon at it again boys. This is fun!
Old March 26, 2017, 05:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Papon loves attention. A press conference literally everyday. Can this guy not keep his mouth shut for some time and work behind the scenes.

And, despite not holding a bat/ball in his life, he is claiming to make selection decisions on behalf of people he paid millions for their expertise. Something is seriously wrong with our cricket system.

Also, why is he always with the team? Instead of going for these BCB sponsored vacations, shouldn't he be in Dhaka running the board and finding solutions on improving our cricket?
Old March 26, 2017, 05:43 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

If it's true then hats off.
First he dropped Riyad and now picked Miraz.

This is where selectors and Haturi failed. So keep going Nazmul!!!!

I don't care what he does as long as it gives the results we want.
Old March 26, 2017, 05:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim

Couldn't agree more nadim.
Old March 26, 2017, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim

Yh true but, he's probably made few crap 'executive selections' but he won't open his mouth about them am sure

Old March 26, 2017, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Whilst I don't agree with president getting involved with squad/team selections, there has been a lot of internal family politics within the team and so it takes a strong character like Papon to intervene and do the right thing. Hats off to him
Old March 26, 2017, 06:15 AM
Cricket Legend

The moment when you realize the BCB president is a better selector than the people hired to do the job of selecting. Our real selectors have been poor, for a while now.
Old March 26, 2017, 08:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

One thing for sure papon alone didn't made the call he surely talked with people like akram, faruk and others about getting miraz into squad.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
One thing for sure papon alone didn't made the call he surely talked with people like akram, faruk and others about getting miraz into squad.
If he's listening to someone, I think it's Hathuru.
Old March 26, 2017, 02:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
If he's listening to someone, I think it's Hathuru.
If Hathuru wanted Miraz in the team, he would have kept Miraz in Lanka, would not sent him back.

Anyway, good job Papon. Ironic that he thought changing the selection process would require less intervention from him. I hope he has realized his mistake by now.
Old March 26, 2017, 03:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Papon khalu zindabad
He is the pocha pasa our team needs
Old March 26, 2017, 08:53 AM
Test Cricketer

I was wondering if it was Papon.

Playing Miraz vs SL is fine because of their left-handers and after they scored 350 in the practice match.

Not calling up Miraz was the right call so far. He's only 20, ODIs add to pressure, an unsuccessful stint in ODIs can lower his confidence, he's still working on his Test rhythm and consistency, his impeccable control vanished after all the noise following the England series. These are all things you've to take into account. He has enormous potential, should be handled carefully, and you've to make the right calls with a long-term view.

It's fine if Papon makes a call every once in a while. Just don't make a habit out of it. Let the selectors do their job, otherwise the selection panel serves no purpose.

I doubt he would've interfered before 2nd Test had it not been our 100th. Riyad likely would've been dropped from Test after completing the series. Mominul would've kept playing and he should've. Too early to drop Momin, and Imrul just returned from an injury. It usually takes a little more time to get back to your best following an injury.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:02 AM
Test Cricketer

All the outcry re Miraz reminds me of Taskin and Tests. Majority of fans were committing harakiri because an injury-prone 19/20 yo Taskin with hardly any FC experience wasn't being called up for Tests. Besides age and injuries, he was unlikely to impress in Tests before developing more control and bowling at 140+ consistently. He lacks in smarts and technical ability/variety. He's all about speed. Not doing well in Tests so far can't be good for his confidence.

And now the same people are overreacting by throwing him under the bus.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Most of us have been whining and complaining about the selection past year and a half and now when someone actually made some right calls, we decide to whine more about the person who did it.
Old March 26, 2017, 10:18 AM
Cricket Legend

well done Papon, you are the man.
Old March 26, 2017, 03:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Papon is a don! I think not only the players, but the selectors from time to time should get closed door threats from him
Old March 26, 2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Thisis why you you shouldnt have let Faruq go. That man knew what he was doing.
Its fine and dandy as long as Papon making this calls once in a while, but dont make it a norm please. It wont end nicely. Bring back Faruq if possible. I still remember the day back in 2006, Faruq and Akram sitting under the burning sun right beside the Feni govt. school field, just to watch an inter school final. Guess, the MOM they chose that day. A 10 years old Saifuddin.
Old March 26, 2017, 04:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
If Hathuru wanted Miraz in the team, he would have kept Miraz in Lanka, would not sent him back.

Anyway, good job Papon. Ironic that he thought changing the selection process would require less intervention from him. I hope he has realized his mistake by now.
Hathuru isn't the only selector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepu
Its fine and dandy as long as Papon making this calls once in a while, but dont make it a norm please. It wont end nicely. Bring back Faruq if possible. I still remember the day back in 2006, Faruq and Akram sitting under the burning sun right beside the Feni govt. school field, just to watch an inter school final. Guess, the MOM they chose that day. A 10 years old Saifuddin.
Based on Faruk's interviews/comments, I'm glad he's gone.

His advice to players used to be: think only about cricket and forget about everything else including family. Guy is stuck in some 1800s Draconian period.

What makes you say he knew what he was doing? I don't recall perfect selections from when he was the head selector. And it was Hathuru who scouted and wanted Sabbir, Soumya, and Fizz in the team.

We do need to find a new chief selector though if Nannu is failing in that role.
Old March 26, 2017, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
saifuddin is from feni?? My family is from there. yay finally a cricketer from my hood
Old March 26, 2017, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
saifuddin is from feni?? My family is from there. yay finally a cricketer from my hood
Seen him growing up. He was a beast even when he was kid and used to take bowlers 7/8 years olders than him to the cleaners. There was a word about him that 'dont bowl saif in stumps.' He user to just touch the ball and even before you know it dissapeared over the boundary. He hit me for four sixes once in an over when he was in primary or maybe just in high school and I was doing my HSC. And trust me, I was really pacy for a kid of that age.
Old March 26, 2017, 11:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Seen him growing up. He was a beast even when he was kid and used to take bowlers 7/8 years olders than him to the cleaners. There was a word about him that 'dont bowl saif in stumps.' He user to just touch the ball and even before you know it dissapeared over the boundary. He hit me for four sixes once in an over when he was in primary or maybe just in high school and I was doing my HSC. And trust me, I was really pacy for a kid of that age.
Did you go to the school in Feni that is in dagonbhuiyan? I feel like i might have watched saifuddin play when they had matches at the pitch in that school. But i am not sure. My older cousin was really involved with the badminton tournaments in that school. Ran a brickfarm in Feni as well. So I would be out and about with him. So I might have seen Saifuddin around when I visited Feni even though I had no idea who he was.
Old March 27, 2017, 01:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

To all the intelligent people here, where is Nasir and who is responsible for ruining the career of a player who once looked like he might even be better than Sakib? A player who consistently performed. Who was brought in because of fan outcry for his last match and he performed and still got left out? Which genius is responsible for this Bullshit biased decision?
Old March 27, 2017, 03:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Did you go to the school in Feni that is in dagonbhuiyan? I feel like i might have watched saifuddin play when they had matches at the pitch in that school. But i am not sure. My older cousin was really involved with the badminton tournaments in that school. Ran a brickfarm in Feni as well. So I would be out and about with him. So I might have seen Saifuddin around when I visited Feni even though I had no idea who he was.
Feni govt. Pilot high school.
Old March 26, 2017, 04:37 PM
Banned

Hathuru scouted? You kidding me? Hathuru dont even go to our 1st class matches, let alone scouting for talents. It was Faruq who watched Fizz bowl in a donestic match and dragged him into the national team. He was even quoted saying 'this bowler is different'.
our best U-19 batch of 2006 was made under Faruq's selection team and guess what? Our most successfull U-19 team of 2016 was also made during Faruq's tenture. I am personally an witness of how he hand picked Saifuddin 10 freaking years ago from a town that is not even known for producing cricket players.
Our big 3 debuted during his time.
Soumya, Fizz, Sabbir, Mosa debuted in his 2nd outing. Hathuru didnt want Mosa but Faruq forced his case and asked them to have a look at him even in a not so important t20 series against Zimbabwe. He didnt rate Zubair and look where is the guy now.
Dont forget the 2007 t20 WC. Where he debuted Mahmudullah, Zunaid Siddique, Nadif chowdhury. After he left the post we were playing ROK in t20 WC and every1 was crying whey we were not trying out new players?
He always had an eye for talents, only blamish he had was that he was a bit harsh on senior fringe players.
You can clearly see the selection blanders after he left. There is no way Tanbir Haider would tour NZ if he was here, nor Hom would enjoy a free ride like this. Now Papon has to pick the team because no one else has the guts like Faruq had. You need balls to go against a member of parliament in BD and he did exactly that when he resigned. Its easy to critise people but u didnt see the hard work he did behind the scenes to find new talents.
Old March 26, 2017, 04:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Hathuru too wanted Fizz after seeing him in action. He's the one who wanted him in the XI IIRC. You can give Faruk as much credit as you want re Fizz (and he was the chief selector; it was his job to scout players "behind the scenes"), an obvious talent, but Sabbir and Soumya were all Hathuru.

There were one or two selection blunders during Faruk's time too, and the amount hasn't increased since he left. Tanbir probably got a shot because we lack a wrist spinner, and he was decent in the practice matches. It was a trial and error, I don't see what's wrong with that. Hindsight is always 20/20.

His comments and interviews indicated he shouldn't be in a top leadership position. And in terms of decision-making re selection, nothing made him stand out from the others. You're seriously overrating him. Just because this and that player debuted during his tenure doesn't mean he was responsible for all the good and had no hand in the bad.