facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 25, 2004, 06:00 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Razzak’s career in doubt

Reported left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak might have to face a massive task for making a comeback in the international circuit as a radical change to his bowling action is needed for his deliveries to be valid, according to sources at the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

One of the advisers, who read the report, informed it was assumed that only the faster deliveries of Razzak were faulty but according to the report some of his normal deliveries were illegal too.

Another high official confirmed that Razzak has to go a long way before returning to the national fold as his bowling-arm bends too much than the allowable limit.

The International Cricket Council is sometimes flexible in its application of the rule against the bowlers. A fast bowler is allowed to bend his arm 10 degrees, a medium pacer 7.5 degrees and the limit is 5 degrees for the slow bowlers and spinners while making the delivery.

On the other hand, the adviser informed Razzak bends his arm 12 degrees, almost two and a half degrees more than the ICC-stipulated limit. Some reports revealed that Sri Lankan spinner Muralitharan flexes his arm through 14 degrees while bowling the ‘doosra’.

However, Razzak needs a total change to his bowling action as some of his normal deliveries are also illegal. After having a two-week long examination on his action at Birmingham, England, Razzak retuned home some weeks ago after getting a positive assurance.

Bangladesh Cricket Board perhaps would support Razzak to the last though there are plenty of left-arm spinners waiting in the wings. Another question also arises as to how long Razzak would be able to keep his patience knowing the harsh truth.

In the meantime, the Bangladesh Cricket Board will hold its first meeting on Razzak today to set a course of action for him. He has already been asked to join the national camp at the Army Stadium today. His suspect bowling action forced him out of the 21-member preliminary squad declared three days ago but the opportunity will keep in touch with the BCB. He will also help the batsmen in practice sessions by his bowling.

“Naturally I am a bit frustrated for not having a place in the squad. I know it’s natural as my bowling action needs to be rectified but being out of cricket is painful,” Razzak told New Age.

“Chief selector Faruque Ahmed and regular captain Habibul Bashar contacted me and told me to join the camp,” added the 26-year-old talented spinner from Khulna. “I don’t know what my exact problem is. Perhaps I will know everything after joining the camp,” concluded Razzak.

The left-arm spinner attracted the attention of the Bangladesh cricket bosses in 2001-2002 season while playing in the premier league for the Biman Bangladesh team. In the following season he bowled even better and was considered as one the best left-arm spinners of Bangladesh cricket. However, his bowling action was doubtful from the very beginning of his career.

NewAge >>

Old September 25, 2004, 06:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Tough break for the guy but it's best that it's fixed early in his career however I'm afraid that with a normal action Razzaq will never be good enough to reclaim his place in the national team
Old September 25, 2004, 07:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Hope BCB learn from Razzak episode. It is time to identify the chuckers who are playing in domestic leagues. The chuckers should be banned or BCB should help them to correct their action. I think this is the second big issue regarding BD cricket after the performance.
Old September 25, 2004, 11:29 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree sports_fan_bd
I read earlier that Razzak's bowling action was suspected even in domestic league, but BCB did not take any action. I cannot understand how this was overlooked during the practice in camp, where it would have been well identified. Using chuckers noway helps us, rather it is disgusting and harms our reputation. BCB should be careful to nip the problem at the early stage and support the player to correct his action.

Edited on, September 26, 2004, 4:29 AM GMT, by Sam.
Old September 27, 2004, 03:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

It's really a bad news for Bangladesh cricket.
Old September 27, 2004, 06:11 AM
Cricket Legend

yes that is now 2 suspect actions from Bangladesh cricket Sanwar Hossain was also suspect.
Old September 27, 2004, 06:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Rafique and Naimur Rahman as well
Old September 27, 2004, 06:45 AM
Cricket Legend

What as in Mohommad Rafique the one who is in the team now. Is that why he played early on but didnt come back for a while.
Old September 27, 2004, 06:06 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

thats a bad news. now, what the heck all those assurance was all about when he came back from england?
Old September 27, 2004, 07:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well...this raises some interesting questions about the mechanism in place to weed out chucking in the domestic circuit, and particularly before it reaches to the international level. It is particularly unfair to the bowler. Razzak is very young. Just 20! If he takes a year out to work on his action, he can theoretically make a comeback in a year or two. the key for him will be his commitment and determination and the support that BCB will extend to him.

I wonder if coach McInnes has some sort of procedure for our age group and HPS players?!
Old September 28, 2004, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

ho bhai durbhaggo,
akta bhablam ailo ebar......bhablam rafique ar replacement pawa gelo obosheshe kintu kono labh hoilo na. beta akdom pura illegal boling kore. dhuru.......luck tai akdom kharap mone hochhe.
Old September 28, 2004, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

arey kisher durbhaggo...shala fira aisha aager actionei bowling korbo...tokhon karo chokkheo porbo na....
Old September 30, 2004, 08:23 PM
Test Cricketer

i feel bad for this guy. he is really a great bowler. hopefully he will be back soon.