facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Did Saddam Hussein deserve an execution?
Yes, he deserves it for the killings 8 42.11%
No, he shouldn't have been executed 2 10.53%
Thrown in jail for the rest of his life 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31, 2006, 01:04 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default Did Sadaam Hussein deserve execution?

Did he deserve to die the way he did the other day. Why couldn't he just be thrown in jail for life. He did kill a thousands of people for the past 30 years of his rule.
So did he deserve an executional death?

Old December 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I simply can't understand what you're looking for. Your poll asks if Saddam deserved an execution. Hell yea he did. But your post asks whether he deserved it "the way he did". What do you mean by this? Do you mean, whether he deserved it under the US admin? On Eid day? Hell no...

Although I wanna vote for it...please first consider explaining your question first.
Old December 31, 2006, 02:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

yes but not in EID DAY...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 31, 2006, 04:43 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

When the worst violator of humanity punishes someone for vialotion of humanity (who is guilty), I don't know what I should do .......

I really don't.

My feeling is, great, the small davil is gone, now, how about the bigger ones?
Old December 31, 2006, 04:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I simply can't understand what you're looking for. Your poll asks if Saddam deserved an execution. Hell yea he did. But your post asks whether he deserved it "the way he did". What do you mean by this? Do you mean, whether he deserved it under the US admin? On Eid day? Hell no...

Although I wanna vote for it...please first consider explaining your question first.
I think he is meaning the same thing but worded it differently.

Option 2 and 3 is rather funny. If he wasn't executed (Option 2), then where else would he go? Obviously to jail for the rest of his life (Option 3). And the guy is 69 years old and mostly likely won't survive anything more than 10 years which is a jail term for rapists, not mass murderers.
Old December 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
Cricket Legend

An alive Saddam = greater risk for the west.

He might write a book, or better start exposing the very evil that ascended him to power. It was probably in the CIA's best interest to eradicate this guy. Hence the hurried execution.

Btw Alien, what's with the Soviet location?
Old December 31, 2006, 10:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte Blanche
An alive Saddam = greater risk for the west.

He might write a book, or better start exposing the very evil that ascended him to power. It was probably in the CIA's best interest to eradicate this guy. Hence the hurried execution.

Btw Alien, what's with the Soviet location?
Alien is traveling in his own little time machine he created. He is just test riding it before selling the prototype for billions of dollars to a big company. Currently he is in the Soviet Union after being in Hogwarts for a while.
Old January 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Because the video is quite violent and inappropiate for this site, I won't post it here. I happen to have the link from youtube, if any one wants the link then u2u me.
Old January 2, 2007, 03:28 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

I am personally against the death sentence, be it for the most-deserving piece of living creature on earth. "In prison for the rest of life", with the assurance that he will never be released under any circumstance, should be the substitute for the death sentence. Therefore, thats what I say Saddam deserved - in prison forever. If you just kill a criminal for whatever bad he has done in his life, then how does he get punished ? He's gone with the snap of his neck if sentenced to death by the jury. Rather, he needs to feel the punishment, he needs to see himself being punished, he needs to go through it alive, suffering every moment that he lives.
Old January 2, 2007, 05:07 AM
Cricket Legend

I too am against death sentence. To me its just murdering a murderer.

For one, the main aim of punishment should be to teach a person a lesson that what he did was wrong and should not ever happen again. Ofcourse it's totally irrelevant in Saddam's case because he is not in power anymore for the lesson to have any effect.

But on the other hand, whats the point of hanging him? Will it bring back the dead back from his 1982 killings for which his sentence was upheld?

When people get hanged for same reason as Saddam Hussein it's not punishment anymore its revenge.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

It's hard to conceive an Islamic (or a country with Muslim majority) state to reverse its stance on death punishment. Saddam would have been executed no matter what charges you tried him under. Our pacifist sentiments are not shared there. I'm sure if you took a public opinion poll in Iraq, it'll reflect people's inclination towards capital sentence.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

This is what really confuses me. Personally, I don't support death penalty and wouldn't wish it on anyone, even criminals like Bush. Yet in Islam it is prescribed for certain crimes.

Read the Hadith, during the time of our Prophet (Peace be upon him), death sentences were carried out, often the condemned was stoned to death or beheaded. These methods were also there under other Prophets such as Moses and Abraham(Peace be upon Them) as narrated in Old Testament. As a Muslim, I get confused because my religious beliefs clashes with my personal opinions and I don't know which way to go.
Old January 2, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
I too am against death sentence. To me its just murdering a murderer.

For one, the main aim of punishment should be to teach a person a lesson that what he did was wrong and should not ever happen again...
There are crimes that can be rectified and there are crimes that can not be rectified. Those who die unjustly can not be brought back. Hense the eye for an eye rule exsists in every society.
Death penulties are not only to punish the criminal but also is seen as an examplatory punishment so that the society does not produce similar criminals. General people of the land sees the punishment and are discouraged to commit the same mistake. Those are the reasons for death sentences and are justified.

One can not take up law in their own hands. The society will parish if that happens.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; January 2, 2007 at 02:46 PM..
Old January 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

So spending the rest of the life in solitary confinement with no parole is less of an incentive to commit crimes than death in 30 seconds?
Old January 2, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte Blanche
So spending the rest of the life in solitary confinement with no parole is less of an incentive to commit crimes than death in 30 seconds?
Yup!
Living, breathing (There is a chance in the future, even if that is a faint one) vs death. Which one is incentive wise better?

For criminals who deserve death penalty, society do not want to spend any more resources on them. Jail cells, guards, security etc. Those should be deployed for the ones who need to be reformed.
Old January 2, 2007, 05:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
There are crimes that can be rectified and there are crimes that can not be rectified. Those who die unjustly can not be brought back. Hense the eye for an eye rule exsists in every society.
Death penulties are not only to punish the criminal but also is seen as an examplatory punishment so that the society does not produce similar criminals. General people of the land sees the punishment and are discouraged to commit the same mistake. Those are the reasons for death sentences and are justified.

One can not take up law in their own hands. The society will parish if that happens.
There were over millions of death penalties before Saddam's and has been happening since the dawn of civilisation. Problem is people never learn. They will be scared, feel sad for the condemned and after a few months will forget about it. There are many dictators running around the world in N. Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, do you think any of them will give up their job because Saddam got hanged?

You can't undo the past in most crimes, but when you kill a criminal you aren't achieving anything better either. It's committing judicial murder. Thing is, death penalty has been the status quo for milleniums in many countries and its one of those things people are reluctant to change.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

There are plenty of scholarly works done about the uselessness and ethical issues of death penalties. Watch the movie "Green Mile". Death penalties should be eliminated from all civilized societies. Too many great minds have been killed by the governments to further their agenda throughout history, and we need to take this right away from all governments. I am not talking about just judicial executions here. The funny part about Saddam's excution is that, its been quickly done to hide all his bigger crimes, as most of his bigger crimes, if investigated, would expose who were behind them.
Old January 3, 2007, 06:27 AM
Cricket Legend

This execution won't help Bush's cause in any shape or form. Not after what happened in the execution room. Iraqi Govt. is launching an enquiry into the matter and the whole execution was made to look like a handing over Iraq from Sunni to Shia.

Looks like Americans are going to stay there for a very long time.

Mr. Moqtada Al-Sadr is nothing but a Shia version of Saddam Hussein. When the Americans starts quitting, the current government will be booted off and that guy will massacre the Sunnis.

Its in the country's interest that they split in two just like India-Pakistan partition.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
There were over millions of death penalties before Saddam's and has been happening since the dawn of civilisation. Problem is people never learn. They will be scared, feel sad for the condemned and after a few months will forget about it. There are many dictators running around the world in N. Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, do you think any of them will give up their job because Saddam got hanged?

You can't undo the past in most crimes, but when you kill a criminal you aren't achieving anything better either. It's committing judicial murder. Thing is, death penalty has been the status quo for milleniums in many countries and its one of those things people are reluctant to change.
I guess all I can do is convey. If someone gets it fine and dandy. If not no loss to me. I will try one last time.

(Please reread my posts in this thread if possible) I have never mentioned anything of Saddam's execution. I was giving a general backing of death penalty and its need. Without the death penalty YES there will more criminals who would murder left and right knowing they can get away alive. Think deep. What a person fears the most in general?

"People never learn" comment is extreme. They why have any law at all? People will never learn, period. Why punish the thief for the pety theft he has done. Let him enjoy what he has stolen. Let him have what wasn't his. Right can not be equal to wrong.

The fear of death penalty allows the general citizens to be civilized.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The fear of death penalty allows the general citizens to be civilized.
I don't know why the paragraphs in my posts are collapsing. Sorry. No criminal ever thought this: "Since, I'll only get a 99 years of force labor in the prison where I'll live as a bitch of this 250 pound gorilla, I'll go ahead and commit this crime. Good thing there is no death penalty." Never trust your feelings. Do the reserach. Here is a link: http://deathpenaltyinfo.msu.edu/c/ab...s/contents.htm Excerpt: Those who believe that deterrence justifies the execution of certain offenders bear the burden of proving that the death penalty is a deterrent. The overwhelming conclusion from years of deterrence studies is that the death penalty is, at best, no more of a deterrent than a sentence of life in prison. The Ehrlich studies have been widely discredited. In fact, some criminologists, such as William Bowers of Northeastern University, maintain that the death penalty has the opposite effect: that is, society is brutalized by the use of the death penalty, and this increases the likelihood of more murder. Even most supporters of the death penalty now place little or no weight on deterrence as a serious justification for its continued use. States in the United States that do not employ the death penalty generally have lower murder rates than states that do. The same is true when the U.S. is compared to countries similar to it. The U.S., with the death penalty, has a higher murder rate than the countries of Europe or Canada, which do not use the death penalty. The death penalty is not a deterrent because most people who commit murders either do not expect to be caught or do not carefully weigh the differences between a possible execution and life in prison before they act. Frequently, murders are committed in moments of passion or anger, or by criminals who are substance abusers and acted impulsively. As someone who presided over many of Texas's executions, former Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox has remarked, "It is my own experience that those executed in Texas were not deterred by the existence of the death penalty law. I think in most cases you'll find that the murder was committed under severe drug and alcohol abuse." There is no conclusive proof that the death penalty acts as a better deterrent than the threat of life imprisonment. A survey of the former and present presidents of the country's top academic criminological societies found that 84% of these experts rejected the notion that research had demonstrated any deterrent effect from the death penalty . Once in prison, those serving life sentences often settle into a routine and are less of a threat to commit violence than other prisoners. Moreover, most states now have a sentence of life without parole. Prisoners who are given this sentence will never be released. Thus, the safety of society can be assured without using the death penalty.

Last edited by pagol-chagol; January 3, 2007 at 12:20 PM..
Old January 3, 2007, 12:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

PC: the link isn't working. Please edit the link and get rid of all the "-----" at the end of it.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
PC: the link isn't working. Please edit the link and get rid of all the "-----" at the end of it.
Thanks. Fixed the link.