facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 17, 2003, 08:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Masri is out

It seems Masri is out, at least for the WI match. He stepped on the ball during nets and injured his ankle (probably). I saw this news on cricketnext.com

Old February 17, 2003, 09:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Default what the hell?

this guy seems to be making a habit of injuring himself. poor guy.

looks like talha will finally get a chance. one person's pain is another's gain.
Old February 17, 2003, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

If someone had to step on the damn ball, why couldn't it have been Hannan that imbecile? Oh well, atleast it wasn't Kapali.

Yeah, looks like either Talha or Sujon will definitely get a chance. Perhaps both will, Talha for Masri and Sujon for Tapash. Hopefully Hannan will also get dropped in favour of Tushar or Sumon.

Whatever happens, it seems unlikely that the batting will show much improvement. I just wish they would try to play out 50 overs, thats all really. I don't care how much they score. If we can do that or get close to doing that for the next three matches, we will take some level of confidence into our match against Kenya. If we keep getting bowled out before the 30th over, we have no chance.

Old February 17, 2003, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

against sril lanka, he was using his feet to stop the ball after a chase. the commentator showed the replay and said it is a really bad idea to do that because you can step on the ball and turn your ankle. looks like that is exactly what he did!
Old February 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Masri and Sumon both injured

Mashrafee should have never played more than a couple of matches in the first place - considering that he didn't bowl at all for the last 1 year. The only ball that he bowled in his entire spells of 2 matches was against John Davison of Canada who got a perfect ball. Other than that, there was nothing.

Channel I news said that him and Sumon are out because of injuries - Sumon hurt his finger.

According to the same news reporter, Sujon will come in place of Tapash and Tushar will replace Hannan. Also, as you said - Talha coming in place of Mashrafee.

There will be some changes in the batting order and that Seejan may come in to open with Rokon.

But previously, the same news gave wrong info another day - so this is not so reliable.

Old February 17, 2003, 01:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

The choices you make off the field, or while fielding can also say a lot about the quality of the cricketer. Seeing Masri get injured doing two stupid things does not giev me much confidence in him....If he continues to do such idiotic things (like skipping rope and steping on balls), he may never fullfill his potential.

hope I am wrong about this
Old February 17, 2003, 02:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Good Bye Masri

Unfortunate.....
Masri won't be playing for next 3 months at least.
They are thinking to send Masri back home and ask for a replacement.
Old February 17, 2003, 02:41 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Panic

This is really panic guy.....Masri was in a good form....he choped the Srilankan bowlers in the last match getting 28 of 24 balls which none of our batsman did and his bowling wasn't even bad....

We will suffer if Masri is not in the team
Old February 17, 2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Send Golla or Opee in place of Masri.

(I hope we can pass Golla or Opee as an bowler)
Old February 17, 2003, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Guess not. Pilot wants Akram Khan as the replacement.

Not bad for adding experience.
Old February 17, 2003, 04:51 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Tonight....

Hello guys---

I hope most people have recovered from the Bdesh-SL shock. I watched the match live. I also taped it and watched selected parts of the tape later. Needless to say, it was a painful experience. Still, if you are a Bangladesh supporter, you are probably quite skilled in coping with such pain by now. I trust, therefore, that most of you have recovered somewhat and are looking forward.

As for the lineup for tonight's game, I hope the selectors will at least make one crucial change--get rid of Hannan. As I said, I watched selected parts of the Bdesh-SL tape over and over again...and there was probably no dismissal more pathetic than that of Hannan.

It is too bad Masri is out. I was hoping for Masri, Manju, & Talha, but it looks like we will get Talha, Manju, and Tapash.

Watching the Bdesh-SL match (the first Bdesh match I've seen in a while on the screen) also made me think a little bit about the long run. Even disregarding the embarassing first over, I felt we were completely outclassed...and the degree by which we were outclassed was no less (and perhaps more) than the degree by which we were generally outclassed in the WC99 matches that I had previously watched on screen. This made me wonder whether repeated exposure to the test teams was the best way to improve our cricket.

I do not know the answer to this question. However, a comment by one of the commentators struck a tone--he said that if a team keeps playing substantially better teams and keeps losing, then pretty soon they forget how to win. For example, when we played Canada, it almost seemed as if we did not know how to win, we were not ready to win. I wonder whether Gordon's suggestion that we instead spend a few years playing test country "A" teams might not have been a better route to follow.

In any case, I think these are real questions that the BCB dons should consider. We do not want our emerging young cricket talent to be demoralized as soon as they are initiated. One can argue that this is essentially what has happened to Ashraful. When a promising 16-18 year old kid encounters success on a world stage and then runs into repeated failure because of a barrage of previously unfamiliar superior opposition, his belief in himself can be shattered. After all, we are talking about a 16-18 year old kid!

Old February 17, 2003, 05:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

"Guess not. Pilot wants Akram Khan as the replacement.

Not bad for adding experience."

Were we looking for experience? If yes, in Akram.... lol

I thought we were looking for Openers who can be there for first 20 overs.... Hell forget openers, if you want a stable middle order - I don't think Akram should be the choice... maybe Bulbul but Akram - HELL NOOOO!!!!

"if a team keeps playing substantially better teams and keeps losing, then pretty soon they forget how to win. For example, when we played Canada, it almost seemed as if we did not know how to win, we were not ready to win"

Uhh, what you call those games against Namibia and Kwa-Zulu-Natal. We managed to win those.. right? I thought it was overconfidence... and "don't care - pheh!" attitude! CANADA??? Eigular shathe ki khelbo - they play on icee.... HAHA...... ooooo amake out korche... oooooo...... Oi habibul dekh torew out korche... HAHA... SIX marum naki KO?

Old February 17, 2003, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Experience is what calms down the overconfidence, even the speech on the crease helps.

We have talents yet we lack experience, That is what seems to be the problem. Otherwise, how can a team beat Namibia 4-1 and then lose patheically to Canada with same talents?

I would definitly prefer Golla or Opee instead. However, I appreciate them sending Akram instead of another bowler (Shanto!!).
Old February 17, 2003, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Default If we get replacement it might as well be experience...

...but I doubt Akram or Bulbul have the charisma to effect some sort of psychological change with the younger players.

Besides none of our 'experienced' players is as consistent as we'd like to believe.

Either way, let's hope we don't make complete arses of ourselves in the next four matches. May God grant us a face-saving win against Kenya at the very least.
Old February 17, 2003, 06:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Akram in place of Masri

I really don't think Akram could stabilize the top order. I can't recall Akram playing in the number one or two spot. His recent form doesn't suggest he could hold the middle order either. I hope the selectors have the final say.

BD needs a player who have had experience openning an innings. The only player who is in form is Golla.
Old February 17, 2003, 06:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Commentator on Masri during BD-SL match....

Here is what one of the commentators said after seeing Masri step on the ball while fielding during the BD-SL match:

"Now there you have something completely unnecessary. How many times have we seen someone twist an ankle while trying to step on a ball to stop it."

(Those are not the exact words, but they are close. I find it ironic that he gets injured doing exactly the same thing two days later during practice.)
Old February 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Actually, Opee is the one in real form. He has been scoring runs back at home. It doesn't really matter who we get between Opee and Golla (if we are going to replace Masri with a batsman), either will be a hell of a lot better than Hannan.
Old February 18, 2003, 01:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Default fileding coach

who is bangladesh's current fielding coach. is there one?

isn't there a fielding 101 video that says "don't step on a ball while chasing it at full speed" - aren't all test players required to view it before getting injured and whining (see daily star) "i don't know why this always happens to me!". because you didn't see that video, you idiot - now our chances of a decent bowling attack are ruined!
Old February 18, 2003, 07:12 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default fielding coach

We HAD a fielding coach (wasn't good for anything else) instead of a real coach for a while (yes talking about Trevor), still, with the way our batsmen play, I won't be surprised if the fielders also turn deaf while they get coached.