facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Grades: BD performance in Indian series:

In TQM (total quality management) we are taught not to have a grading system on performance. It hampers the motivation when someone fails. Not all can perform at the same pace. On the other side of the coin, from childhood we had been graded in all our tests to see were we stood and how much we need to improve.

I know I am not the chief justice but as usual, I would start the grading (Al furqaan is slacking on this job). (babubhai skip the following part) Those who wish can join me in putting forth your views on this series.
The purple color stands for bad performance.
The Green stands for good performance.
The red is the grade.

1. SN: career test average: 27.56
Test series average: 9.75 way below his average.
He didn't play in ODIs because of his dismal performance in the WC. His test performance only proclaimed that he is out of touch. 32, 1, 2 and 4 averages to below 10. Anything above “F” would be a shame.

2. JO: Career test average: 22. Career ODI average: 24.29
Test series average: 19.66. ODI series average: 45.5.
Had a king pair. Well to be fair the second one was a blunder by the Australian umpire by a big margin. A score of 9 would put him with par (his average). His knock of 80 in that condition was his best ODI innings. That remains the highest run scored by any BD player in this series (both test and ODI). Highest run scored by the top order. With 3 single digit test scores (out of 4) I can’t grade him over C+.

3. Tamim: Career ODI average: 18.73
ODI series average: 26.
He is the most generous person in BD lineup. He gives his wickets at gift wrapped with red ribbons. It is time for him to be the man and become as stingy as possible. The starts are there but then…. B.

4. Habibul Bashar: Career test average: 33.53. Career ODI average: 21.68
Test series average: 11.5. ODI series average: 21.5.
(Now I know how hard it is to write positive notes) The once king of the herd has become out casted. The second ODI score of 43 of 88 balls only gives the false notion of him being in-form. The Indians were happy for him playing that way. That ensured the series victory. His test innings was something to forget. The decisions of not to attack in the 1st ODI while fielding, not to attack on the 2nd ODI while batting, not to attack in 1st test's 2nd innings and not to bat first in the 2nd test made sure India go out victoriously without a fight in both form of game. F.

5. Ashraful: Career test average: 24.35. Career ODI average: 21.94
Test series average: 24. ODI series average: 20.5.
The batting in first ODI was simply what the doctor ordered. The batting in the last innings was not I wanted him to do. I wanted one whole session batting from him. I could have said then he has matured. Not trying to break Viv’s record. But now I can only say he has much to learn and need to have faith on his teammates to build partnership. B-

6. Sakib: Career test average: 24. Career ODI average: 43.8
Test series average: 24. ODI series average: 27.5.
In test he had to come in when BD was respectably 7/4 and 10/3. Under stress I say he did what was necessary. This was his debut series. Expecting more would be foolish when the big guns failed to deliver. B.

7. Aftab: Career ODI average: 26.63
ODI series average: 28.
Talented player don’t know his own potential. He can single handedly take BD to places where all our dreams can come true. The starts are there. Then gifting his wicket away with one too many shots. He has the potential to hit every ball to hit for 4. However, he doesn’t realize he don’t have to. B

8. Rajin: Career test average: 22.
Test series average: 29.71.
The class is there. With the limited opportunity he had he showed he is one of the pieces for Bangladesh's dream test team. His catch of Dravid alone would give him a permanent position in the field for years to come. A

9. Mash: Batting: Career test average: 12.05. Test series average: ***50.33***.
Career ODI average: 17.32. ODI series average: ***42***.
Bowling: Career test average: 37.57. Econ: 3.19. Test series average: 38.83 Econ: 3.61
Career ODI average: 29.14 Econ: 4.57. ODI series average: 57. Econ: 5.7
A+ just by batting. Got a fifer in test 1. 13 month lapse is all bullsh*t excuse. he wasn't playing test cricket in secrect hideouts all this time. Either you can bat or you can't. I have not seen any player averaging 3 or 4 folds more than his actual average.

10. Mohammad Rafique: Batting: Career test average: 21.12. Test series average: 10.66
Career ODI average: 13.52. ODI series average: 12.
Bowling: Career test average: 37.53. Econ: 2.72 Test series average: 51.16 Econ: 3.98
Career ODI average: 38.75. Econ: 4.39 ODI series average: 35.3 Econ: 5.3
Highest wicket taker in ODI and Test. Over all B-.

11. Rasel: Batting: Career test average: 5.5. Career ODI average: 5
Bowling: Career test average: 26.64. Econ: 4.21. Test series average: no wickets. Econ 4.7
Career ODI average: 37.92 Econ: 4.06. ODI series average: 28.75 Econ: 6.05
Unlucky not to have few more wickets in both form of the game. In this type of pitch he did what was expected of him. His average is way better than his career average. However, he became more expensive. B-.

12. Shahadat: Batting: Career test average: 8.6. Career ODI average: 5
Bowling: Career test average: 37.57. Econ 4.41. Test series average: 21.2 Econ: 4.24
Career ODI average: 29.14. Econ: 5.01. ODI series average: 43 Econ: 6.14
The lanky one got it all. Now all he needs to develop is a little swing. Fifer in test 1 was as deserving as one can get. He was sorely missed in the second test. Both his average and econ rate in test has improved in this series. He stats for ODI don't do justice to the talent he has. B+

13. Abdur Razzak: Bowling: Career ODI average: 22.61. Econ: 3.92. ODI series average: 47. Econ: 4.95
Expectation was high. At home he should have done better. 19 overs 94 runs with only two wickets don’t make him the same World Class Abdur Razzak we know. He has given more than an extra run per over in this series and his averaged doubled. Not good at all. D.

14. Enam Jr.:Bowling: Career test average: 39.46. Econ: 3.92. Test series average: no wickets. Econ: 4.06.
I know it was only one match and basically he bowled for just one innings however not getting a wicket is not an option for a strike spinner. 16 overs 65 runs. Over 4 per over no wickets. He has failed in his primary job. The problem lies he didn't create any half chances. He was our master spinner who loops and varies the ball and keeps the batsmen guessing. Most of the guessing was done by Enam himself. F.

15. Mohammad Sharif: Bowling: Career test average: (Cricinfo messed up data from the scorecard with the tall Sharif)
I blame the selectors to make this type of mistake on pulling someone with that type of short notice. He had done more than some of us expected. He would need some more time. The pace is not there. The swing is not there. After a long break and asking him of so much is unfair. C.

16. Mushfiqur Rahim: Career ODI average: 28.9
ODI series average: 36.
There are places he can improve. A serious WKing training is needed for him to be the only choice for BD. Putting weight in which foot when the ball is being delivered is not a guessing game. That saves the fraction of the second that is necessary to take a diving catch on both sides. B.

17. K Mashud: Career test average: 19.12.
Test series average: 11.66.
Good that the selectors picked Mashud in this series. Now it is clear that he is no better than Mushfiq at glove work. The over through at the keepers end was painfull to watch. That average he had should scream out “a replacement is eminent.” D-.

Grading is necessary in order to get the future selection correct. Those who don't like my grading it is better you put your own grading and reasonings instead of attacking my post. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. Thank you.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; May 30, 2007 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added some career stats for the bowlers

Old May 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
In TQM (total quality management) we are taught not to have a grading system on performance. It hampers the motivation when someone fails. Not all can perform at the same pace. On the other side of the coin, from childhood we had been graded in all our tests to see were we stood and how much we need to improve.
SHABBASH BANGALI! Fataey diso ekdom !!!!!
I agree with you 100% and the fact about Mashrafe's and Mashud's batting is just way too good !!!!!

Last edited by Tintin; May 30, 2007 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: mod.edit : snipped long quote
Old May 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Sir auditor, this has the potential to be a front pager.

Could you expand on the reasoning for some of the grades assigned? For example, Shahadat gets a B+ with no comments.

Also, for bowlers, perhaps provide the bowling averages as grade indicators?

Personally, I have a few issues with the grading. Enam's F based on one innings in one match is perhaps too harsh. A data point of one is not enough to grade. A spinning strike bowler sent in to bowl in a pitch that had nothing for the spinners. Note that the pacers got 7 of the 8 wickets.
Old May 30, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_Ti
SHABBASH BANGALI! Fataey diso ekdom !!!!!
I agree with you 100% and the fact about Mashrafe's and Mashud's batting is just way too good !!!!!
lol, ami ekta rough liksilam. Oita dekhley most of you would be doing this .

Thinking of all the distinguished guests we have, I have edited the rough draft few times. I had some nice choice of words for Habibul Bashar.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; May 30, 2007 at 04:37 PM..
Old May 30, 2007, 02:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

SN got worst than a F.
Shame.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Grading is necessary in order to get the future selection correct. Those who don't like my grading it is better you put your own grading and reasonings instead of attacking my post. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. Thank you.
O ya... you want 5th from any critisim? Your grading s[]ks !!!

1. SN: F -- This series a complete failure
2. JO: B -- I expected more from JO in test and less in ODI.
3. Tamim: B -- Still looks like a real deal
4. Bashar: D -- No comment needed
5. Ash: C -- I expect more from this highly talented experienced batsman. Sorry last test innings doesn't excited me much, specially when we are playing TEST (not ODI) and trying to extend the game to 4th day.
6. Sakib: B - Kind of dispointed in TEST. But hey it was his first TEST under lot of pressure to prevent batting collupse. Plus 24 ave is in par with our legend's (Ash) average in this series. Plus he defended more balls. Not bad.
7. Aftab: B -- Unrealized potetial spoiling due to lack of mental maturity.
8. Rajin: A - Kind of surprised me. I am not really a fan of Rajin. But I think it will be injustise if he doesn't get another call in SL series.
9. Mash: A - No Comment needed.
10. Rafique: C - He is kind of lossing his edge. But still good enough for BD team.
11. Rasel: C - Kind of dispointed a bit, but not that much.
12. Shahadat: A -- he surprised me in a positive way.
13. Razzak: B -- Looks like he slipped a bit from his WC-2007 form
14. Enam: F -- Completely disapointed me
15. Sharif: D -- I have seen nothing special to warrant another chance against SL.
16. Rahim: B -- Not spectacular, but steadily making a strong case for himself for TEST also
17. Pilot: D - Nio comment. No point wasting time in a sinking boat.

I am also taking 5th. Those who like my grading can praise me. On the other hand, those who don't like my grading it is better you put your own grading and reasonings instead of attacking my post. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. Thank you very much.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
O ya... you want 5th from any critisim? Your grading s[]ks !!!
Your grading is much better than mine.
I had 3 Fs an 2 As.
You have 2 Fs and 3 As.

Fazal sir beshi number daiy in a losing series.
Old May 30, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

1. SN - (F)
2. JO - (B-)
3. Tamim - (B)
4. Habib - (D-)
5. Ash - (B)
6. Sakib - (B+)
7. Aftab - (B)
8. Rajin - (B+)
9. Mash - (A+)
10. Rafique - (A-)
11. Rasel - (B)
12. Shahadat - (B+)
13. Razzak - (C)
14. Enam - (D+)
15. Sharif - (D+)
16. Mushfiq - (B+)
17. Mashud - (D-)

Might have been a lil generous
Old May 30, 2007, 04:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
great grading and the 2 parts on masri and pilot were 200 percent spot on

Last edited by Tintin; May 30, 2007 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: mod.edit:snipped quote
Old May 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

T_E bhai, I have never seen D- grade in any grading system. It's definitely a front page material. IMO, you should grade the players following standard grading practice.

My grade.

1. SN - F
2. JO - C
3. Aftab - C
4. Bashar - F
5. Sakib - B-
6. Ashraful - B-
7. Mushfiqur Rahim - B-
8. Rajin Saleh - B
9. Khaled Mashud - F
10. Abdur Razzak - C
11. Mashrafe Mortaza - A
12. Mohammad Rafiq - B
13. Shahadat Hossain - B+
14. Syed Rasel - B
15. Mohammad Sharif - F
16. Enamul Jr. - F
17. tamim Iqbal - C

It may seem quite harsh, but failure to deliver even average should result in an F

Last edited by Miraz; May 30, 2007 at 05:51 PM..
Old May 30, 2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Just shows that Mashrafe is our Favourite player.
Old May 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
T_E bhai, I have never seen D- grade in any grading system. It's definitely a front page material. IMO, you should grade the players following standard grading practice.

My grade.

1. SN - F
2. JO - C
3. Aftab - F
4. Bashar - F
5. Sakib - B-
6. Ashraful - B-
7. Mushfiqur Rahim - B-
8. Rajin Saleh - B
9. Khaled Mashud - F
10. Abdur Razzak - C
11. Mashrafe Mortaza - A
12. Mohammad Rafiq - B
13. Shahadat Hossain - B+
14. Syed Rasel - B
15. Mohammad Sharif - F
16. Enamul Jr. - F
17. tamim Iqbal - C

It may seem quite harsh, but failure to deliver even average should result in an F
Aftab delivered above average...
Old May 30, 2007, 05:52 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
Aftab delivered above average...
Grade changed.
Old May 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
Club Cricketer

i dnt understand how come tamim getz so low?
he had 45in 1st odi! n 2nd odi he got unlucky ruN OUT!!!

he should be newhere near less than a to b+
Old May 30, 2007, 06:22 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla786
i dnt understand how come tamim getz so low?
he had 45in 1st odi! n 2nd odi he got unlucky ruN OUT!!!

he should be newhere near less than a to b+
He should get an F for the poor sportsmanship in the 2nd ODI and a B in the first one.

On an average I can't give him more than a C.
Old May 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

T_E, tried to disagree in quite a few cases there, but all my effort went in vein Helluva analysis!

Wait a minute.. still, Enam was basically put into fire. His "F" from you is harsh, but too bad there isnt any "E" available. I for one still believe in Enamul and SN, a couple players to get "F"s from this series.
Old May 30, 2007, 06:53 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Good analysis T_E, agree with most of your gradings. Though I'd give Sharif a D, because he hasn't really made an impact.
Old May 30, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Shahadat should get an A beacuse he also featured in that big partnership with Mashrafe.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:30 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

i agree with tigers eye for the most part...but while giving mashrafe an A+, i'd give shahadat an A...not only for the batting partnership they shared, but also for their bowling together...we were obviously missing shahadat during the second test match...he just surprised me. of course i expected mashrafe to do well, but i didn't expect much from shahadat after the world cup, but he bowled very well!
Old May 31, 2007, 01:03 AM
Cricket Legend

When I was in class 7 or 8 we took a calss test. Noone among the 50+ students in the class passed. Some got close but no dice. Some one wrote on the blackboard "Gono fail". This series may have produced another such classic.

Last edited by gatekeeper; June 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM..
Old May 31, 2007, 02:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Miraz bhai's spot on... rajin and sharif should get those grades for trying, despite obvious limitations in their game.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; May 31, 2007 at 04:30 AM..
Old May 31, 2007, 04:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
When I was in class 7 or 8 we took a calss test. Noone among the 50+ students in the class paased. Some got close but no dice. Some one wrote on the blackboard "Gono fail". This series may have produce another such classic.
good one. except mash and shahadat... and ash helped himself with that 21-over captancy and those defiant strokes when all seemed lost.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 31, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. That last paragraph did the trick .

May be my expectaion of Enam's variation, loops, inticing the batsmen, making the batsmen think was way too high. Zero wickets puzzled me and there was bleeding of runs. If he is not that better than Abdur Razzak then I suggest let Abdur Razzak also have a crack at Test. This is what evaluations bring. Alternative solutions to fix issues.

Sharif was dragged in out of nowhere. Did the selector even see his recent bowling in Domestics before calling him up? I mean not his stat sheet only. Yes, he got wickets but was he so much above Taposh in terms of expectation? I was generous to him cause he didnot have enough time to prepare mentally.

As for D- grade, lol. I should have given F. But with so many Fs I would not have anymore students in my class. Shob palabey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
When I was in class 7 or 8 we took a calss test. Noone among the 50+ students in the class paased. Some got close but no dice. Some one wrote on the blackboard "Gono fail". This series may have produce another such classic.
I need your company at "Rosgolla" thread in Forget Forum. (Post 24) Please visit:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=21341
Old May 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I don;t even think Rajib played in any of the ODI's, he deserves an A. IMO
Old May 31, 2007, 09:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

TE almost always says my words.
Good post, perfect grading.