facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old August 6, 2007, 04:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim
Default 2010 WC Regional Qualifers thread

Quote:
The Asian Football Confederation on Monday unveiled the draw for the first round of regional qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup, saying champions Iraq were unable to play at home.
Afghanistan and the Palestinian team were also barred from playing home matches for security reasons, AFC tournament director and assistant general secretary Carlo Nohra told reporters.
‘We decided this after due consideration and also after discussing it with FIFA. I think the soccer authorities in Iraq understand why we made this decision,’ Nohra said.
‘Besides Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan will also not be allowed to play their home matches in their country because of the same reason.
‘We will give them time to nominate the country where they will play their home matches and give the green light after discussing it with FIFA,’ he said.
Iraq – who won their first-ever Asian Cup in late July with a 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia – on Friday were seeded a lowly 12th for the World Cup qualifying tournament.
Teams like Kuwait and North Korea, who did not even qualify for the Asian Cup, were seeded higher.
‘We made the seedings in accordance with the FIFA ruling and all countries under our umbrella know how the seedings are made,’ Nohra said.
‘As such, there can be no complaints. The seedings were based on performances done in the last two years and not only this year.’
The draw created a number of intriguing match-ups, with Iraq to face Pakistan, while sixth-seeded Bahrain will take on Malaysia.
The top five teams – Australia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Iran – have been given a bye into the third round.
Of the 19 teams that make it through the first round, the lowest eight battle in the second round for four spots in the third round, while the top 11 move directly into the third round.
The first home-and-away knockout round will take place on October 8 and October 28 while the second round is scheduled for November 9 and November 18.
The draw for the third
round will take place in Durban, South Africa, on November 25, 2007.
In the third round, the 20 teams are split into five groups of four, with the top two from each group advancing.
The 10 remaining teams are split into two groups. The top two teams in each group qualify automatically for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Teams that finish third in each group play a home-and-away playoff and the team winning that playoff confronts the winner of the Oceania FC qualification in a home-and-away playoff to get the jackpot spot in the World Cup.
http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html

Is Bangladesh going to be in this tournament? I know they probably won't do good but I just want to know. If they are in this tournament, good luck to Bangladesh and Inshallah they will make it to the 2010 WC.

Old August 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Yes, they will be in the qualifiers.
Old August 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cricket Legend

What are the chances that they might actually advance to the second round?
Old August 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

bhari moja
Old August 7, 2007, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

why are the top five teams getting a bye? surely they need no other advantage.
Old August 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

chances of bangladesh of going to second round is next to nil. No matter who we draw. Even Vietnam would have a 6 goals advantage minimum.
Old August 7, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Bangladesh will fight against Tajikistan in 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Source
Bangladesh will play against Tajikistan for the 2010 FIFA Wolrd Cup South Africa pre-qualifying competition on home & away basis. Bangladesh will play agaisnt Tajikistan on 8 October 2007 in Dhaka. Bangladesh will play the away match against Tajikistan in Tajikistan on 28 October 200
Old August 7, 2007, 04:54 PM
Cricket Legend

How good is Tajikistan?
Old August 7, 2007, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

FIFA World Rankings:

Tajikistan: 145
Bangladesh: 172

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ra...llranking.html

As you can see, they are quite a bit ahead of us. Our record against them isn't too good either, as far as i can recall.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Talking We Suck !

Fact: Bangladesh and other South Asians countries are aeons away from qualifying for the World Cup, lightyears away from competeing with Asian powers from West and East Asia, and decades away from beating Central and Southeast Asian countries.

We should divert those funds to cricket instead.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 8, 2007, 07:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Fact: Bangladesh and other South Asians countries are aeons away from qualifying for the World Cup, lightyears away from competeing with Asian powers from West and East Asia, and decades away from beating Central and Southeast Asian countries.

We should divert those funds to cricket instead.
I would like to DISAGREE on that motion Sohel bhai.

yes, we are decades behind those more established Asian powers, but funds should not be directed to cricket instead.

I believe we still have a massive following of football in the country and only because of the cricket's recent emerge in the international arena, it has surpassed football as the no 1 game.

It wasnt a long ago before we could have beaten teams like Tajikistan or gave Singapore or any other East Asian teams a run for their money.

But as always the case, politics and red tapes have seen the downfall of our fate.

I believe with proper funding and geniune restructing of the game, we could, in 10 years, be a force to reckon with in Asian football.

... and thus, football and cricket, side by side, be the most popular game in the country, which would be good for both the sports, the country and us the fanatics as a whole.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 8, 2007, 07:28 AM
Cricket Legend

We suck in football lol!!!man i wish we had a player like maradona,but that will never happen.
Old August 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: kkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
We suck in football lol!!!man i wish we had a player like maradona,but that will never happen.
lolllllllllllllllllsssssssssss
Old September 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
I would like to DISAGREE on that motion Sohel bhai.

yes, we are decades behind those more established Asian powers, but funds should not be directed to cricket instead.

I believe we still have a massive following of football in the country and only because of the cricket's recent emerge in the international arena, it has surpassed football as the no 1 game.

It wasnt a long ago before we could have beaten teams like Tajikistan or gave Singapore or any other East Asian teams a run for their money.

But as always the case, politics and red tapes have seen the downfall of our fate.

I believe with proper funding and geniune restructing of the game, we could, in 10 years, be a force to reckon with in Asian football.

... and thus, football and cricket, side by side, be the most popular game in the country, which would be good for both the sports, the country and us the fanatics as a whole.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Fifa World Cup Qualifiers 2010, Bangladesh v Tajikistan

I'm looking forward for a good show of BD football team under new coach. The matches against Tajikistan will be on 08/10/2007 & 28/10/2007.

Way to go. Come on BD football team, show something good for your countrymen

Last edited by ammark; September 29, 2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: mod.misc: thread merged as per poster request
Old October 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
Club Cricketer

8 October , 15.00 . Bangladesh - Tajikistan in Dhaka.

http://www.the-afc.com/english/compe...c_schedule.pdf
Old October 6, 2007, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

hehe just yesterday i dreamt about me playing in the bd national football team and saw that i won the asia cup for bd and then i saw that i lifted bd to the 20th rank in just 20 games lol,i wish i will play in a foot ball team oneday cause just a few days ago i scored 4 goals for my team as a substitute,our team already conced 6 goals without scoring and then i was called in and i scored 4 goals in a row and all cutting the keeper lol but our team lost 7-4,but still atleast we put up a fight right but yes our team the grade 6 did defeat the big grade 7,8 and 9 many times so we are very proud of our selves and during my farewell day every one was saying that "we are gonna lose a very valuable player and the best student in our class is now going" this sentence touched the core of my heart ,i almost cried during the last hours in the school,man i will miss them.
Old October 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
Cricket Legend

BD team announced.

Squad
Old October 6, 2007, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Match will start at 9:00 GMT on 08 October. Does anyone know about any live coverage?
Old October 6, 2007, 05:03 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcricmad
Match will start at 9:00 GMT on 08 October. Does anyone know about any live coverage?
ATN bangla will telecast the match live and I guess you can watch bangla channel in some deshi websites like : http://bengaliguru.com/ or http://bangla-media.blogspot.com/200...ighlights.html
Old October 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
ATN bangla will telecast the match live and I guess you can watch bangla channel in some deshi websites like : http://bengaliguru.com/ or http://bangla-media.blogspot.com/200...ighlights.html
Thanks for your kind response

Confiden BD coach and captain differ in terms of win. The former believes in win but the latter insists on draw, though he didn't write off win.

source

Last edited by Mohiul; October 7, 2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old October 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm curious about this game... if I have time I'll try to have a look at the links!
Old October 7, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier
I'm curious about this game... if I have time I'll try to have a look at the links!
cough cough, hopefully you can stay awake with the pace of the game Xavier
Old October 7, 2007, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Asian football is usually quite pleasant... they play fast and have good technical skills, they just lack some physical and tactical strength...

Here is a link about asian WC qualifiers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI...tion_%28AFC%29
Old October 7, 2007, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I've followed ATN Bangla this afternoon, but they didn't announce anything about the live telecasting of this football match. Are you sure?