facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
I would say our local league is the main problem. With a crappy league you will have crappy pool of players. Stars at national leauge become hannan/kapali in international arena. We need good wickets, completitive matches and there should be financials gains involved so that winning team is rewarded hansomely. Otherwise the lethargic attitude towards monotonous national league will create the hannan/kapalis forever in never ending loop.

Ofcourse, I am not saying there isn't problem in the board. Political mentality is well in the core of BCB. That should be fixed also. We need right people in right places.
Fixing national league may not just be the solution. We have more than one thing on hand to fix or get better. Tell me how many of our national players perform in the league? They are as pathetic in the national league as the are in international games. I feel it involves some psychological and motivational factor. Look at Junaid Siddiqui, he was scoring tons in national league and as soon as he got into national team the draught started for him in both national and international games. I don't think our players motivate themselves enough to perform, and hold onto consistency. The only motivation factor they have is getting into national team. I think we do need a team psychologist.

Further, to add to the problem our young players don't have tendulkar, murali, wasim or imran khan to learn from. We just don't have enough quality senior players to guide these youngsters. Look at Srilanka, or even India, when they put in some young players they always have seniors for consultation, guidance, tips, fixing mistakes, and taking pressure off during game times.

So, overall, we just need to give our cricketers some time. They will eventually get to the top, but it will take much much longer than we anticipate. The competitive cricketing culture is not established yet.

None of the players we have had yet were successful to establish 'consistentism'. Let's take a look at the trend of players we have had.

ICC Trophy 1997 Era - Hardworking cricketers with Very LIMITED Talent and VERY VERY VERY Inconsistent
World Cup 1999 Era - Hardworking cricketers with SLIGHT Talent but VERY VERY Inconsistent
World Cup 2003 Era - Some what less Hardworking cricketers with SOME Talent and OVER Confident but VERY Inconsistent
World Cup 2007 Era - Less Hardworking cricketers with Talent and VERY Inconsistent

So, if you take a look at above, you would notice that Hardwork has been slowly replaced with Talent. Cricketers are not as hardworking as in the past where people had to work hard to replace their inadequacy of talent. What you would also notice is that the inconsistency has slightly decreased. Earlier we would DREAM of upsets, but now we are CAPABLE of making upsets because we have talented players. However, we would not find consistency unless this equation is fulfilled, Consistency = Hardwork + Talent + Motivation.

In conclusion, we are slowly moving in the right direction but it will take more time than we anticipated. The progress has been some what slow compared to our expectations which increased with here and there upsets.

Prediction based on the trend and current situation: World Cup 2011 Era - Some what Hardworking Cricketers with Talent but Inconsistent (eg. Rokibul Hasan).

Old April 18, 2008, 08:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

hopefully, the team will improve a lot.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
Further, to add to the problem our young players don't have tendulkar, murali, wasim or imran khan to learn from. We just don't have enough quality senior players to guide these youngsters. Look at Srilanka, or even India, when they put in some young players they always have seniors for consultation, guidance, tips, fixing mistakes, and taking pressure off during game times.
Didn't we drop or showed the door to most of the experienced cricketers (Rafique, Bashar, Pilot, JO..) for youth movement. Seems blame is rightly at the door of BCB, it would be their responsibility to motivate the players. Time to go to a truly pay for performance contract. Score a duck and walk away with $0.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

The Yorker:

Yes i did miss those players and im sure they will be in with a strong chance as some of the players currently in the squad will drop off like Hannan and Kapali. I was just giving a small squad and im sure the whole squad of players in contention over the next few years will be larger. Those players should definitely be in that larger squad throught their recent performances and if they continue to perform in that fashion.
http://www.bdcricketfans.com - The home of Bangladeshi Cricket Fans. Go here and sign up for more BD cricket chat. http://www.cricketminnows.tk - Sign up here for talk about the cricket minnow countries of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya and the associate teams.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Didn't we drop or showed the door to most of the experienced cricketers (Rafique, Bashar, Pilot, JO..) for youth movement.
The problem there is that only two of them were some what class players - Rafique and Bashar. Rafique's retirement could be blamed on BCB, but let's face it he was getting old and would have retired in a year or two eventually. Bashar has lost it, he has only 50% chance to make it back to the team. So, the experienced players of NOW - Ashraful and Aftab namely (in terms of bowling: Mashrafe, Razzak, Shahadat) will have to be those seniors who will be guiding the youngsters. And it will take some time (since they are still young) for Ashraful and Aftab to settle into the "senior position" - growing old, maturing and having a good head on their shoulders.

After 7-8 years we might find some consistency, but it may not be the level of consistency that we expect. A new generation awaits. Practically, it will take generations for a new cricketting nation to be competitive, and when throwed in this era where other teams are also developing fast, it gets a bit difficult. So, there is not much point by expecting highly of our current players. We are in the transition phase.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Didn't we drop or showed the door to most of the experienced cricketers (Rafique, Bashar, Pilot, JO..) for youth movement. .

You raised a good point to discuss.

It depends what type of experienced players you are talking and really what they bring into the table.

Just face it, none of our experienced players are Tendulker/Ganguly/Akram caliber players. Few years ago our u-19 coach (mcInes) said in this website that he doesn’t want our ex-national players anywhere near his under-19 players, and he said it for reasons. You are exposing them to bad traits.

Now see the recent older players:

Rafiq can help them with our young spinners but on the other hand he have too much hatred towards the management, they cannot trust him. Also his communication and teamwork skills are also questionable, even though personally he may be very good person.

Bashar has the mentor mentality, but his own form is a big question mark. Too much exposed to defeat and thereby lost his fighting mentality. Plus I don't know what he can teach to the kids that really will help them.

Pilot can teach the young WKs, but will he? He didn't helped Rahim when they were both together. He didn't took the young kid under his arm like old stars supposed to do. He saw him as competator and distanced himslef and treated him as enemy. He is not a typical mentor type.

The furthest a young batsman can stay from Ashraful the better it is. Remember when Aftab came? He used to be in the mold of a solid batsman when he first came to the national team. Now he is a duplicate of Ashraful in-terms of attitude. Why is that? Why he suddenly changed? How much do you think it has influence of Ashraful and watching how fans/management/media admire Ashraful's reckless batting? He smelled the path to stardom, and he followed that path. Ashraful is riding solely based on his talent. Aftab is doing the same. Ashraful will teach exactly opposite what the coach will try to teach the young players in the team.

So I don't see much harm if the more experienced players exit our team sooner than later. The new breed of players like Sakib, Tamim, Junaid, Shahadat, Farhad, Riad are our future. The less they are exposed to bad habits the better will be their chance to succeed

Last edited by Fazal; April 18, 2008 at 10:10 AM..
Old April 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

After three years of time we will have more Asrafools than regular cricketers. I want to see some crcketers in the team who can play "Common sense cricket", thats all. I don't want to see a flashy 50 want to see a hardworking 30!!
Old April 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Ok,
I want HB back to mentor this young guns. He would score 10 i.e. we are just short 12 runs if the Gadhas (either Ash or aftab) play on average. But the intangible benefit of bringing him would be much more. Or can we make Sujon our non playing captain. He is the ideal one to teach how to utilize one's talent (in his case a little more than me). He is just an inspirational leader. The best captain we have. But I agree The less they are exposed to bad bolod the better. দুষ্ট গরু থেকে শূণ্য্ গোয়াল ভাল
Old April 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

One player I like to mention that I miss is Rajin in test. Yes, he is technically flawed. But his determination could rub off some of the newbies. In test, I'd take Dravid over Ganguly for one down. And one down is our problem. All strokemakers and no grafters.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Ok,
... দুষ্ট গরু থেকে শূণ্য্ গোয়াল ভাল
and nai mama'r cheye kana mama bhalo.

shukh nai. kothao shukh nai.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Fazal

Since that promotion to no.3 against Zim in Dhaka when Rafiq opened the batting with him, Aftab has treated the no.3 position reserved for a pinch hitter type, when in reality, it is much more than that. Whatmore must take a bit of responsibility for that. He is trying hard to get back to the original Aftab when he came to the scene first. Its a difficult adjusting period. Quality wise, he is a much better player than a sole pinch hitter. Its up to him to re-transform himself. He still has to manage a good SR in ODI's when he comes at no.3.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: MJ

Agree that it will take a while, but after 7-9 years it will be a different world of cricket and BD may not be a Test playing nation. And I also question how big a influence fellow team members can be as far as temperment. In this world we live in of web-casts and stats on demand, players probably see a wide variety of players and shots. Although Ashraful may be star in BD, I would think players who troured internationally have seem how much bigger a star Ganguly, Tandulkar, Afridi are (and wealthier). So I don't buy into younger needing to follow the senior players, there are plenty of other role models out there to emulate.

I am just bashing on everything and not really offering solutions, so here goes:
1. Pick 25 players for national team eligibles, and stick with it for the next 2/3 years.
2. Select teams for ODI/Test, should be consistent only changing 2/3 players for ODI vs Test.
3. Let the 10-11 players not picked for any series play A side. These players should only be called up to National team after min. 3 successful tours/series or 6 months of good form.
4. National team players who are selected for a series should play entire series (except injury ofcourse). No knee jerk reactions to 1-2 failed games. Let the player relax knowing they have entire series/tour and probably next 2 series before they may be dropped. Our batters are too impatient, and less to worry about can only help.
5. That does not mean they will not be dropped for non performance, after 3/4 series or 6 months of bad form, player may be relegated to A team. Does not matter which player, Ash to Zunaid (A - Z, get it). And all matches are counted, NCL, DPL, and National team. There is no off-season.
6. After 2/3 years evaluate where they are in world cricket. Are they better off? Are players making progress? Time for a new approach? Hopefully at that point you may have found some consistency, or at least identified 4-5 players that are keepers and setup a new 25.
7.Schedule more matches, for National and A sides. There has to be some Associate team that wants to get in a few matches. Cricket board really needs to get creative and provide the most amount of matches possible for national team and send A team on tours of different pitches (England, Aus, NZ, SA). Dole out the $$
8. Domestic leagues like NCL and DPL needs boot in funding. And not just from BCB, for league to be successful it has to stand on its own feet. Clubs needs to generate money through means like gate receits+broadcast rights+ad space+merchandising...like other self-sustainig leagues (EPL, NFL, F1). IF there is a successful domestic league, This also creates a greater selection pool of players. Have larger number of players giving cricket full attention knowing there is some 300 spots available in the different teams.
8. What the Board is responsible for is developing youth cricket. Be it at the school level in setting up pitch, donating equipment, provide coaching. Or setting up more independent district board that would facilitate growth in their area. Having not lived there for a while, and not knowing current corruption level, don't know which would be better.
9. Board has to be built on the best interest of cricket. No political appointments, but knowledable about the game. Selectors needs to work with Coach to identify and stick with game plan and players.
10. Jalal at every warmup.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
So I don't buy into younger needing to follow the senior players, there are plenty of other role models out there to emulate.
We were not just talking about role models, we were talking about guidance and mentoring even while the game is on. Watch how its done in bigger teams like India, and SL.

BTW overall, you've made good points. A good plan of action that may benefit our cricket. But then again, it will take time, there is no magic formula that we fans expect.
Old April 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Imagine 3 years time? hmm...Ashraful's avg still 20 something.
Old April 18, 2008, 05:51 PM
Cricket Legend

hmm 3 years time...... more dreams & hopes.... sure, why not? not that we have sth to hold onto at the moment.....

but I am afraid now more top teams are just gonna invite us for ODIs only...
sigh.... too many problems, too few solutions....
Old April 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
Your missing someone from the list, our best batsman at that time and also the captain Habibul Bashar!
I intentionally omitted bashar. I only picked up young players who were showing lots of promise 3 years ago and were tipped of being the next big thing in these 3 years.
Bashar was not promising, he was at the peek of his potential
Old April 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Cricket Legend

More games is a must. Even though our performance is bad. Teams like Australia and England and India play 14-16 tests and 35-40 ODIs a year. Whereas Bangladesh play 6-8 Tests and 30-35 ODIs. Bangladesh play too many ODIs or maybe to little tests. If none of the test nations are touring arrange a 4 day game against Ireland or Kenya or any of the strong associate sides. Even zimbabwe. When are Zimbabwe back in the test arena. When Ireland played in Bangladesh recently they only played 3 ODIs there obviously wasnt enough time for a 4 day match but why not invite them back and play 2 4 day games and 3 ODIs again. Also Zimbabwe should come and play 3 5 day games and 5 ODIs. Bangladesh has large gaps in their Future tours programme so the board should think of these options.
http://www.bdcricketfans.com - The home of Bangladeshi Cricket Fans. Go here and sign up for more BD cricket chat. http://www.cricketminnows.tk - Sign up here for talk about the cricket minnow countries of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya and the associate teams.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Little less than three years ago, Aftab, Ashraful, and Shahriar looked like players full of high potential (I am talking about the NatWest series), now they all look like players full of crap - this is the story of Bangladesh cricket so far.
Old April 21, 2008, 06:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Little less than three years ago, Aftab, Ashraful, and Shahriar looked like players full of high potential (I am talking about the NatWest series), now they all look like players full of crap - this is the story of Bangladesh cricket so far.
I saw a few matches of the Nat West series and I do agree, they did play well there, even though they got beaten except for the one australia match, but Aftab and Ashraful was much better.
Now, they look a shadow of their former selves, dont know why?

Who knows what will happen in 3 years time, some of these players might be national discards.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
It's a vicious cycle my friend.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

this started off as such a good thread.

it was killed by negative fans who can't appreciate the work of others.

look, if your outlook on our cricket is that it will always be hopeless; get off this forum, it isn't for you.

if you don't believe you can't achieve.

have you ever thought of this: is it the bangladeshi cricketers that are killing our cricket, or is it us? fans.