facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 23, 2018, 04:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Default How to prevent waste?

Every week, I open my fridge and throw out piles of uneaten food. Expired sauce/ingredients. Rotten groceries. I throw away fruits that's going bad almost on daily basis.

I get amazon boxes to my house almost on daily basis as well, many are left unopened.
I buy things on whim (when buying and if it is me who is buying i would research and try to get the best deal but never follow through for the deal - an example a 300 dollars rebate on a camera i bought - never claimed but when buying that rebate made me pull the trigger)

I hardly say no to anyone close despite how ridiculous inside i think a purchase might be ... (they would ask only if they themselves think it might be excessive and want reassurance from me not to feel guilty) .

All these only bother me when I see my credit card bills. But the actual process of throwing away foods (feels like cleaning), or buying unnecessary thing do not bother me.

----------

I identified many reasons but it is almost impossible to change many.

For example: We minimize cooking by cooking a lot and refrigerate it for a week but then get tired of eating similar or old food and we order from outside or eat out and at the end - have massive left over food.

Amazon/Online is your new shopping for ppl - they don't go to Mall. These day ppl log into online at work on daily basis and browse and 1 click buy.

any of you have similar problem and tactic to tackle this? I thought of discontinuing all credit cards, all subscriptions but this would create a hindrance to a smooth lifestyle (however wasteful that style might be).

Old September 23, 2018, 04:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Every week, I open my fridge and throw out piles of uneaten food. Expired sauce/ingredients. Rotten groceries. I throw away fruits that's going bad almost on daily basis.)
You need to have a proper plan about what you are going to eat. Only buy the items that you know you are going to cook or eat. Otherwise do not buy.

Also do not buy in batches or lots. Do shopping every week and only buy for the week.

Quote:
I get amazon boxes to my house almost on daily basis as well, many are left unopened.

I buy things on whim (when buying and if it is me who is buying i would research and try to get the best deal but never follow through for the deal - an example a 300 dollars rebate on a camera i bought - never claimed but when buying that rebate made me pull the trigger)
This is called impulse shopping. We live in an age of propaganda. Corporations know that they are producing much more than people need, so the only way to sell their products is through push marketing.

So, how do they do it? They will make an ad that will cast an insecurity among the viewers. They will show that your life is miserable without that product. However, as soon as you buy the product, life instantly becomes an utopia. And the ad will be repeated ad infinitum. You must resist this temptation when it comes to impulse shopping. Before buying everything, think if you NEED it or not. If you do not need, do not buy.

It is OK to reward you with some WANTs in life, but that should not be the norm.

The whole process of impulse shopping is like how we have the constant need to check our facebook, email or BC forum. We constantly crave newness. But it is bad for health. Same with shopping. You do not need every newness. Everytime your fall for it, it is a win for the corporation and their propaganda. Think about it - in terms of feature, is there much difference between the first iphone and the latest iphone? I don't see much. Yet millions were fooled to buy.

Quote:
I hardly say no to anyone close despite how ridiculous inside i think a purchase might be ... (they would ask only if they themselves think it might be excessive and want reassurance from me not to feel guilty)
You need to learn to say NO. Say NO politely and explain you reasoning

Quote:
All these only bother me when I see my credit card bills. But the actual process of throwing away foods (feels like cleaning), or buying unnecessary thing do not bother me.)
If you do not feel guilty, then look at those who are beneath you socially and economically. The people in Yemen are now starving to the point that they are simply boiling leaves to survive on it. Read about how much starvation is going on in South Sudan due to 40 years of war between different factions. Think about Syrians and their struggle to get basic subsistence. If you ponder and reflect, you will surely come to appreciate God's blessings more and will not take them for granted.

Quote:
I identified many reasons but it is almost impossible to change many
It is not impossible. Keep trying.

Quote:
For example: We minimize cooking by cooking a lot and refrigerate it for a week but then get tired of eating similar or old food and we order from outside or eat out and at the end - have massive left over food
Cooking one day and refrigerating them for the whole week - tried it - it may be expedient, but refrigerated food is the worst food. Refrigerated food will be somewhat OK if you know how to properly defrost it and heat it up, but still it can never match the taste and flavor of freshly cooked food.

Therefore cook everyday, and if possible, cook every meal (I have an Indian Tamil friend who cooks every meal, because he never eats left over food). Cooking releases stress too. And cook only the amount you will eat

Quote:
any of you have similar problem and tactic to tackle this? I thought of discontinuing all credit cards, all subscriptions but this would create a hindrance to a smooth lifestyle (however wasteful that style might be).
All types of subscriptions only add to the stress of our lives. Loyalty cards, miles from airways....life has become overloaded with so many subscriptions that slowly I have started unsubscribing from many. When someone now a days hands me over a new loyalty card, I outright say NO, thanks!
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:06 AM
Cricket Legend

tobefair, that's a good response though i do not agree with some of your thoughts.

Regarding cooking, I do not disagree that fresh cooked food are the best. But it is not possible for me to cook my daily meals. Well technically it is possible but I choose not to. There is an opportunity cost at play here. Instead of wasting my time on cooking every meal, i can work in my job everyday which would be far more beneficial for me and order all my food from outside resturants.

Online/Amazon shopping is a BIG problem in my household. it's ridiculous. That's why i thought of taking drastic measure of cancelling all my credit cards but it will cause so many problems.

Also that world wide poverty example is very old and very poor. I can not constantly think about them. I can help them via charity but I do not believe that I should feel guilty for someone else's misfortune. I feel bad about it but it will not alter my behavior. If I can, i would not waste those food - they are wasted due to convenience...

many ppl also cite example how US wastage of food can feed most of the ppl in some african countries for life. But no one ever mentions the economics behind it. Who is gonna pay for the shipment of those food? it is economically viable to waste than to distribute. If you can come up with a solution for this problem - maybe you can become rich and win some nobel peace prize.

Thanks for your input though.
Old September 23, 2018, 04:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Create a spreadsheet of your expenses. Or better yet, go through your last 3 month’s credit card statement. Identify the expenses that were

1) made on impulse
2) on things you don’t need
3) or on things stopped using

When you tally them up, it helps to visualize the areas that were totally unnncesary.

I have fixed income. I know what my paycheck will be every 2 weeks. So I tried to make my expenses fixed as well by going through it all (rent, insurance, car payment, student loan payment, groceries). I try to hit that expense mark every month no matter what. Yes sometimes there are some unexpected expenses but it should not deviate too much.

There are two expenses -

Fixed - rent, mortgage, insurance etc
Variable - groceries, eating out, entertainment etc.

It’s easy to calculate fixed expenses. But do your best to assign an amount for variable expense as well. If you go over on variable expense this month, then next month you’ll have less to spend on. But if you spend less then go treat yourself.

This process has helped me but may not work for all. It was hard for me just to sit down and tally up all my expenses because I knew I was spending (or rather wasting) money on things I didn’t need. I was just trying to ignore my splurging habits. But one weekend I sat down and did the math and after that it just became an exercise in following that target.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

that is actuallhy a very good post on budgeting. I have another problem however which is not all my expenses are actually purchased/expense by me. And you can not control other ppl' habit. it's a futile exercise. But I can create a lot of inconvenience which can reduce expense.

Having said that.. budgeting/spending less/below your means is super boring to me instead I prefer the other route - make more. But you are absolutely right - my variable bills are actually a lot...

ppl have hard time believing when I tell them my monthly credit card bills- specially single people because visually they see me that I live like a raster fakir.. no flashy cars, clothes, shoes, no big house or expensive taste.

The funny thing is you know you are ordering way too many things when the UPS guy complaints to you about frequent delivery. This one day when I opened the door this guy is like OMG again, i was just here yesterday, with that big box right there.
just an example of waste.. I have 3 toddler cycles in my house - all serves the same damn function, none are used. and this is the trend. I can't even keep track - because the CC statement just say amazon and the amount - have no idea what the purchase is... it's that bad..
Old September 23, 2018, 08:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
that is actuallhy a very good post on budgeting. I have another problem however which is not all my expenses are actually purchased/expense by me. And you can not control other ppl' habit. it's a futile exercise. But I can create a lot of inconvenience which can reduce expense.

Having said that.. budgeting/spending less/below your means is super boring to me instead I prefer the other route - make more. But you are absolutely right - my variable bills are actually a lot...

ppl have hard time believing when I tell them my monthly credit card bills- specially single people because visually they see me that I live like a raster fakir.. no flashy cars, clothes, shoes, no big house or expensive taste.

The funny thing is you know you are ordering way too many things when the UPS guy complaints to you about frequent delivery. This one day when I opened the door this guy is like OMG again, i was just here yesterday, with that big box right there.
just an example of waste.. I have 3 toddler cycles in my house - all serves the same damn function, none are used. and this is the trend. I can't even keep track - because the CC statement just say amazon and the amount - have no idea what the purchase is... it's that bad..
I feel for you man. we can talk privately if you want....
Old September 24, 2018, 04:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I am good at not wasting money or food.
But I am good at wasting time 😐
Old September 24, 2018, 05:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I am good at not wasting money or food.
But I am good at wasting time 😐
thats even worse and

Time is money.

It's ok to waste time if u are enjoy it. But just sitting and watching the wall all the time in expense of other thing no good.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I feel for you man. we can talk privately if you want....
thank you for the offer. Public discussions yields better results I feel blessed that I can easily sustain this kind of waste but it doesn't make it any less easier to swallow when i know i m being unnecessarily super wasteful and a more disciplined lifestyle is possible.

you should not always get what you want - these are good lessons in life and can be extended to non material things so you know how to cope when you can't get something in life...like a girl that u like or the dream job which u are more than qualified for but it is given to someone else. it's a coping mechanism and learning to be happy with less.

Simplicity, less is more is my motto.

Another thing that I can never understand (which thankfully is not a problem in my life) is flashiness. Superglittery clothes, expensive makeup, shoes or jewelry. Most times ppl don't even look good in those but they feel good for some reason. I think simplicity is very beautiful and super underrated.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Flashiness for girls specially makes very little sense. when a guy look at them, they are picturing u without clothes on anyway. so that 1000 dollars saari that u gonna wear for 1 day for a facebook picture is the definition of waste. But I shouldn't judge because people are different and everyone thinks differently. And if such waste makes a happier and healthier life then that's absolutely fine also.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ziya

You need to remember that you are better off than someone in Africa. So, you shouldn't squander your wealth. Hopefully, this will help everytime you go to buy something.
Old September 25, 2018, 10:44 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Idumb, I want you to go through this site —

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/

Sort by “top” and read through some comments. Let me know if you find it inspiring
Old September 25, 2018, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

Sort by “top” and read through some comments. Let me know if you find it inspiring
I am not really too fond of wider public audience stories or data. I like to hear about ppl i know. The problem with wider audience is there will always be someone who is doing extraordinarily better than you can ever imagine. And it is not possible to apply similar tactic to your life.

Each individual should have their own financial independence number and what they are happy with. there are frugal living where ppl "retire" in 30s with net worth only in hundreds of thousands ("normal" ppl can't never do that and that's not FI really it's just being cheap). There are also young ppl multi millionaires trying to establish their next buisiness to create more wealth eventhough they can easily rest with what they have...their drive is different.

the question is what's yours?

Being single , having family, having kids complicates things further. Cheapest and fastest way of FI is staying single and no kids. And live selfishly.

that's a good group - i briefly looked at the data (eventhough they made it convoluted) - positive sign is the age group.. majority there are the 20s to early 30s group calculating their number - these ppl will SUCCEED eventually faster than others. They are not your typical 50 year old now all of a sudden thinking of money...

My FI number is very very high - i don't see achieving that any time soon. if i was single, i could have most likely achieved it in less than 10 years time and i would be motivated (ie work double, invest more/virtually everything) but now it's a pipe dream.
Old September 25, 2018, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

all of you single guys naturally will underestimate the massive expense you will incur with marriage and kids. Delay this as much as possible... Earn like crazy.. save like crazy..invest like crazy.. Need to do this for 10 years.

an example: lets say u want to travel to a place. single, you take off when things are cheap and just go. but with family - let's say 4ppl. ur expense is not only x4 but also u will be travelling at prime time due to school - and ur cost will be 3x more essentially costing u 12x more for 1 trip.
Old September 26, 2018, 01:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

hey very cool, do you participate Mufi? I'm pretty active there at times.