facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 21, 2004, 05:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas?

This will fulfill some of your knowledge in this area like mine. Read it, it has good stuff. By the way, I hope our fellow Christian members here will not be offended. Thanks!

islam-online.net

By the way guys, the people here giving these advices after being questioned are islamic scholars. I hope before debating their ideas, u should get degree and knowledge like them first. They are educated and respected muslims in muslim community, mostly in North America. Thanks.

Old December 21, 2004, 10:09 AM
Cricket Sage

We always celebrate, but only as a cultural Holiday like 4th of July and Thanks Giving Holiday.
Old December 21, 2004, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

I didn't read the article.

But you know, 25th december isn't even the real birthday of Jesus.

Jesus has never heard of a christmas tree or santa clause.

I am thinking about getting a christmas tree so that my son can enjoy it and learn to respect other cultures.

Lets just enjoy the holiday.
Old December 21, 2004, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

you can celebrate, enjoy and do whatever you wish as long as you are confident and pure in your own faith. I like Bangladesh because we get holidays on Eid, Christmas, Duga puja. Over in US you get Xmas only, some companies let Jewish people take off on their religious holiday.

This time Christmas sucks, I only get Friday off along with Sat, Sun.
Old December 21, 2004, 07:28 PM
Test Cricketer

The best thing about Christmas is the cartoons they show in the morning. When I was a kid I wasn't hung up about not having a Christmas tree. Those complaining little brats should be beaten and taught how not to succumb to peer pressure

I remember one year, we had to make an 'Eid Tree' for my sister, with presents underneath it *sigh* (she was obviously not beaten enough)
Old December 21, 2004, 09:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

a human being can celebrate whatever he or she wants.

however, what one SHOULD celebrate is dependent on his or her beliefs. if one believes that their religion is the truth then why on earth would you celebrate the holidays of other religions. and if one has no beliefs, why would you celebrate any holidays.

i have a friend who is athiest, he has refused to attend church with his family, but still keeps the presents he gets for christmas.

so the question is not whether a muslim can or should celebrate christmas, the question is what kind of muslim is the one in question?

how many christians celebrate eid or durga puja...and should they...if they do, what kind of christian are they? that is the question.
Old December 21, 2004, 09:47 PM
Cricket Legend

"so the question is not whether a muslim can or should celebrate christmas, the question is what kind of muslim is the one in question?

how many christians celebrate eid or durga puja...and should they...if they do, what kind of christian are they? that is the question."

al Furqaan, I do not have the answer to your riddle, so please do let us know the answer to what kind of muslims, christians, hindus, athiests are they, and how many kinds are there in total.
Old December 21, 2004, 09:48 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

the question is not celebrating. but, muslims are not allowed to do or show a sign that would make other think that he is not a muslim. for example, wire a cross or putting "shidur" on head or staff like that. if we follow this same logic here, if a muslim decorate a xmas tree, other who see it has a chance thinking that he is a christian. and that is not allowed by our religion.

i'm not saying that is how it is, but writing it from best of my knowledge. i could be wrong. so, before u do anything like that check it out with a learned person.

does anyone here knows it for sure?
Old December 22, 2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Some of you do realize that Christmas isn't really a religious thing. As somebody said, Jesus never heard of a christmas tree or santa claus. Not just him, up until the early 20th century, no one really cared for the old man in the red suit. Thanks to some smart businessmen, SC and the x-mas three became a permanent feature in our lives.
Old December 22, 2004, 12:08 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Let's also take a dig at some of our so-called muslim trends. PAYE dhore salam - that's actually a HINDU tradition if you really want to get technical.
Old December 22, 2004, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Christmas is a commercial and ritualistic but joyous entity. And to be frank so is eid to most people. Not many are devoting anything to god or spirituality on those occasions. Don't let any "Learned Person" twist the reality.
Old December 22, 2004, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Religious traditions are like appendices to modern life.
Old December 22, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cricket Sage

But it brings more holidays!!!!

The more the better!!!!!
Old December 22, 2004, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
Religious traditions are like appendices to modern life.
On the contrary its the lifeblood for every shop in the world.

Also the most utilized way so far to keep all the sheep alighned. The great part is you don't have to have above average IQ be the shephard. Therefore its easy to find lower level managers.

ok. I'll keep it short.
Old December 22, 2004, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let's also take a dig at some of our so-called muslim trends. PAYE dhore salam - that's actually a HINDU tradition if you really want to get technical.
Though that's a BD MUslim trend, right ? Many of us were Hindus way back when...
Old December 22, 2004, 05:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Guys, if u have read carefully the link I have provided, it iz mainly about kids. I know we are adults and we know what we are and what is for us or not. Parents has to see what influences their kids getting. Now, some of u celebrate christmas considering it a secular holiday, and u have to consider about ur kids too. They aren't adults and they still have a lot to learn. So when ur not a christian and u don't want ur kids to turn up one either, then u should think what influence ur kids are getting by u celebrating christman. Frankly, muslims in the west or other places celebrate christman because christians are dominating the world now. And u do not need to celebrate other peoples' holiday to teach ur kids to respect the poeple of other faiths. Because, muslims are told to respect other peoples' faith, itz kinda family value too. And don't worry, christians are poeple of the book; we are told to respect them, as well as jewish people.
Old December 22, 2004, 05:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
But it brings more holidays!!!!

The more the better!!!!!
ever considering converting to judaism, lol???

anyways, allrounder, a strict muslim would never celebrate non-muslim holdiays, although the milads and myriad of "islamic" holidays ppl in bangladesh celebreate are a different story.

ask a bible-wielding christian to come to the mosque with you and pray to allah...you will prolly get smacked.

so the question is what kind of _____(fill the religion) the person is. is he strict or liberal? no one can argue that a strict muslim would celebrate other religious holidays. it makes no logical sense. that is the answer to my "riddle"

as for the numbers of these various groups...who knows how many there are??? all i know is that they exist.

Edited on, December 22, 2004, 10:44 PM GMT, by al Furqaan.
Old December 22, 2004, 05:43 PM
Cricket Legend

If you are worried about kids growing up confused, then talk about all the hip hop culture, yo yo wazzup ma nigga stuff. Having less respect and concern for elders, bipasa basu, john abraham craze. Now what can I say, they even wear 'namajer tupi' and do rapping.

I thought dancing and singing is prohibited in Islam.
Old December 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by al Furqaan

How about you? Ever considering joining Taliban?
Old December 22, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cricket Legend

brother al Furqaan ,

why you keep mentioning about going to church and mosque. I dont think who ever is exicited to celebrate christmas want to go to church or have to go to church or do anything with Lord Jesus Christ to celebrate, and who ever celebrates eid has to go to mosque. Just eat, watch movies, hangout, play have fun, get gifts, clothes and that is all. No need to drag people to mosque or chuch, buy tree, or sacrifice cows and goats.
Old December 23, 2004, 08:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Christmas is just another excuse for these non-muslims too get drunk. That's what happens in the UK anyway, they just get pissed!!
Old December 23, 2004, 01:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:

How about you? Ever considering joining Taliban?
i didnt mean it that way...tho i can see how it can be thought of that way, so my apologies...just that jews have lots of holidays. more so than we or anyone else. that was all.
Old December 23, 2004, 01:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
i didnt mean it that way...tho i can see how it can be thought of that way, so my apologies...just that jews have lots of holidays. more so than we or anyone else. that was all.
Thanks for clarification.
.oops: I withdraw my comment/reply.

Edited on, December 23, 2004, 9:34 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old December 23, 2004, 03:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
Originally posted by tehsin
that is correct and is forbidodn in islam. u are not allowed to bow down to anyones feet except allah
Old December 24, 2004, 12:31 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm no good muslim, but still I'm gonna answer for allah's mercy and blessing.

Quote:
Originally posted by allrounder
If you are worried about kids growing up confused, then talk about all the hip hop culture, yo yo wazzup ma nigga stuff. Having less respect and concern for elders, bipasa basu, john abraham craze. Now what can I say, they even wear 'namajer tupi' and do rapping.
If a child is derailed, the first people to be held accountable are the parents, 'cause they are the guardian of the kid. Now, I believe as a muslim, a kid can grow up as a good muslims and knowing what is right or wrong if he is in a Islamic environment. I believe that to live well you don't need to have a lot of money. But you need to have intelligence, smartness, cleverness and by being good muslim.

Quote:
Originally posted by all rounder
I thought dancing and singing is prohibited in Islam.
I don't remember exactly, but I read long long long time ago that Messanger of Allah Muhammad (SM.) said that part of his Ummah will love music. I think I read it from Bukhari. Yes, dancing is not allowed. Well see this way, when someone speaks we usually see his face, particularly his lips and hear him speaking. We try to understand how well he speaks. As well as, we see how beautiful is his face. Itz to me the same thing. Dancing is a language. How well one dances, I judge. But with what instrument the one is speaking(dancing), I also see that and the instrument is the body. Islam says, A female's body will only be known to her husband, and a man's body only to his wife. So when one is dancing, I see his/her body which is not allowed. It creates zina, Not good for one's iman, believe me.