facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.
Default Natural Game leads to natural death.

This time Jalal said it and I quote him here without quoting the whole mindless quote, " The decision to relive him.....so that he can play his natural game " !

So, that line of thinking - playing "natural game", is spread evenly from the Executives on down to Selectors, to the national team player, and I am sure, all the way down to Academy, Club, para cricketers aspiring to play for the country.

I want to know what the heck is "natural game"? We have all heard it from time to time in post match interviews, being parroted mercilessly by our players. Win or lose, after every game, the reason for success was "natural game" and the reason for failure was the inability to play "natural game".

If anything, we need to follow, practice and adjust to playing "situational game". I assume the natural game is the inherent flair of individuals who shows glimpses of domination. But, in intl cricket, the opposition is good enough to counter your natural tendencies by throwing roadblocks at it. Soon as that Avenue is blocked, we stall and die a natural death, since we are not capable of scoring runs via a different route, one that requires patience. In other words, we can't play the game of "take what is given" otherwise known an "situational cricket". For example, the demise of Ashraful and many others can be attributed to this mindless term called natural game. Of course a batsman must think positively and should have the mindset of dominating the opposition, but crucially, it can be done without consistently risking your wkt by launching low percentage shots for the sake of natural game.

Good job Jalal. You have just sent the message to Ashraful that don't do anything different, if anything, stick to your ways of BS Natural Game. I am sure, none of them know what 'natural game' really means, and when we have philosophers at the top green lighting something they themsleves don't understand, what comfort a simple fan like me can take towards a better outcome ?

P.S : Memo to BC mods- Next interview, please raise this little matter of "natural game" with Siddons. I am really curious to know what it means and whether he agrees or not.

Old June 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

good point.

The 'natural game' comment struck me as odd too.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Good point. It high time they drop this term for good and play "pro game" which includes not getting out twice in the shame fashion or bowling half-volleys and on the pad. Not dropping lollies and having wild throws without back ups or running theselves out like complete morons.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Natural game = Natural instinct/inclination. For BD players, no adjusting to what is given to you. Hence the downfall. At any sports adjusting to the adversities is one of the main reason in improvement in results/performance.

However, Tendu-Lara (natural gamers) are masters of adjusting what hand they get dealt with.

I want Chandurpaul not Lara in BD team. Cause Laras only comes once in a lifetime, whereas, Chanderpauls have a better probability. Limited Natural game with most application.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Natural Game .. my Foot.

In this level of cricket, to be continuously successful, a batsman need to polish his natural game so that he can hide his weakness effectively, minimize risk, neuralize opponent bolwer's stategy and play according to the master game plan but can also adpot to immediate team's need.

Why BCB send these wrong signals? Its really depressing.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

If Bangladesh really plays their Natural Game, we will be Whitewash again in Test/ODI/T20. Because the Fact is Bangladesh is not yet competitive in International Arena. If we want to win we have to play Extra Ordinary game.

All the wins from our side against Test side were extra ordinary performance. We expressed that as Natural Game. With Natural game, we can only beat the associate teams. Losing to them is below natural.

Finally, I want our management/media/fans to accept the fact rather tell "Janina Keno Player ra Tader Shamortho Onujai Khelte Parchena."

Amader shamortho shudhu beating associate teams and 1/2 victory against test teams which are "Upset". We have to accept this Fact.

Old June 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

What pisses me off is this term - Natural Game.

WTF is natural game? If I can play my natural game, why do I need a coach? Why do I need a team management?

The term is an overly hyped-up term for someone who doesn't know how to speak good English. And here we are, talking about natural game all the time.

Give this effing natural game a break, and turn on your natural 'obedience' for what you have learnt to play, not what you would mindlessly play.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Excellent thread Beams. I recall you and I once mutually poked fun at that term. To me their natural game is very unnatural since it invariably leads them to their proverbial cricketing graves which is the pavillion for any self respecting batsman. It's time that these parrots learned to play some "learned game" instead of what's natural to them.
Old June 23, 2009, 10:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

amazing thread and an amazing point..who needs BCB and selectors...when we have BanglaCricket.com..and this time i am not being sarcastic.

there's a saying in bangla "যেই কপাল সেই মাথা"...looks like the scenario for Bangladesh cricket most of the time... since the instruction to play in such manner comes from the top..why is Ashraful to blame then?
Old June 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
Club Cricketer

If some one wants to play his natural game, he should play golf. Cricket is a team sports and players should play according to team demand.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

And yes, I too have seen that term "natural game" and it stuck out to me. It really is a pathetic term that is used in our cricket all too often. The first couple of times, its ok, but then it just gets all too repetitive.

But my understanding is that the term "natural game" is just a substitute for the word "flair", which btw is often what leads to our downfall, such as the "khocha shot" that Ash played to get out in the T20
Old June 23, 2009, 11:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

excellent thread beamer...and well put too.

natural game is a synonom for "1. excessively flashy, sometimes pleasing to the eye stroke 2. the tendency to seemingly dominate, but succumbing sooner rather than later".

hence guys like rajin saleh never use the term. doesn't he and Javed have a natural game? sure they do, they naturally hog the crease and run scoring is secondary. but it doesn't fit the def given above.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 23, 2009, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Watch the NZ Test Series Where Vettori took Ash's Manhood, due to Ashraful's defensive approach, which he had to lead for the rest of team (That was the Team Approach, 166/90 overs)

3 Average Deliveries, 3 LBW's

The Motto Should be to play every ball to it's merit, don't give me this Pre Meditated Approach, that is being given by Jamie Siddons

Super Defensive (Ash vs NZ) or Super Aggressive approach (Mehrab Jr vs SL)
Old June 23, 2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
This time Jalal said it and I quote him here without quoting the whole mindless quote, " The decision to relive him.....so that he can play his natural game " !
P.S : Memo to BC mods- Next interview, please raise this little matter of "natural game" with Siddons. I am really curious to know what it means and whether he agrees or not.
Good point, Beamer.

Yet, I can't help but thinking: Captaincy taken away from Ash, after dismal performance, before the tour of West Indies.....

I think we are as close as we ever can be to a Test double hundred by a Bangladeshi Batsman.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:53 PM
Cricket Savant

There is some theory in Japanese martial arts that 90% of techniques, 10% of inner drive in mats, but in battle field 90% of inner drive (that's why they yell out the kiai so much) and 10% technique (at this level the technique becomes subconscious and 'natural').

This is basically the intuitive feel for "natural game" from theoretician's perspective.

Also Malcolm Crowley's quote, "Talent is what you posses, genius is what possesses you." When someone plays the innings of his life, he is in the zone, and he let's a higher power flow through his body as in instrument. Same happens when Beethoven composes or Picasso 'throws himself' at the canvas.

So I agree with cricman. Play each ball on it's own merit. And 90% focus should be on discipline and rigor in nets and 90% of inner drive in the 'battlefield.'

Best example should be Jayasuirya + x = 250/0 partnership or Dhoni's 180 something. Those were very 'natural' games of theirs. Also, the Gilchrist's recent one. To even some purists they would be like masterpieces being composed on canvas. Each ball, each breathtaking shot being set up for the next big punch.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 23, 2009, 11:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
The Motto Should be to play every ball to it's merit, don't give me this Pre Meditated Approach, that is being given by Jamie Siddons
every team plays with a plan, they usually have a couple of back-up plans as well.
Old June 24, 2009, 12:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Reality is just opposite to the thread heading. Harnessing one's natural game is the key to success.

Natural game doesn't mean only being aggressive. JO's natural game and Aftab's natural game is opposite. The natural talent needs to be refined and used to the benefit of the team. That fine tuning is the responsibility of the coaching staff. They are failing to do that and we are unnecessarily critical of the player's natural game.

Playing the ball to it's merit also depends on their natural abilities. Every player has different comfort level with different shots. Even after judging the merit of a ball, JO's natural ability might prompt a forward defense while TI might go for straight drive on the same ball.

Last edited by BANFAN; June 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM..
Old June 24, 2009, 12:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Reality is just opposite to the thread heading. Harnessing one's natural game is the key to success.

Natural game doesn't mean only being aggressive. JO's natural game and Aftab's natural game is opposite. The natural talent needs to be refined and used to the benefit of the team. That fine tuning is the responsibility lies with the coaching staff. They are failing to do that and we are unnecessarily critical of the player's natural game.
so the player has no accountability as to how his game develops? the player has a big role in developing himself, it's not just about the coaching.
Old June 24, 2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

I think we are making unnecessary fuss out of Jalal Yunus' comment. By natural game, he probably meant Ashraful playing his game without any extra burden added on him.

And all SL players play their natural game, don't they?
Old June 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
so the player has no accountability as to how his game develops? the player has a big role in developing himself, it's not just about the coaching.
You are misreading the meaning of natural game. It's like an individual's unique, way of playing. Say if you have aptitude for visuo-spatial abilities yet I brute force you to enter a box and think linguistically, I am causing you to self-sabotage.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 24, 2009, 12:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
You are misreading the meaning of natural game. It's like an individual's unique, way of playing. Say if you have aptitude for visuo-spatial abilities yet I brute force you to enter a box and think linguistically, I am causing you to self-sabotage.
i was responding specifically to BANFAN's comments about the refinement of a players game being the complete responsibility of the coach rather than both coach and player. i didn't comment on natural game.
Old June 24, 2009, 02:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

It's the natural beauty is what I like!
Old June 24, 2009, 02:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i was responding specifically to BANFAN's comments about the refinement of a players game being the complete responsibility of the coach rather than both coach and player. i didn't comment on natural game.
Go ahead Gowza with this age old question, just to contradict BANFAN ..

I'm looking for a player in all international sports who is responsible for his own fine tuning without a coach

If that was possible why we need a coach? Why other sports of our country are so lacking? Why their development stops after a level? You mean none of them are trying to play better? Why do you need to go to a good school when all are teaching the same syllabus?

Leave Ashraful, I take that for the sake of argument that he isn't learning, it is his fault; what is with the rest of the players? Why do you even consider that the coach is doing right things & players are wrong? what evidence do you have for that? I have a dozzen evidence of coache's wrong policies.

If you like, lets list out rights and wrongs to weigh his contribution +/-
Old June 24, 2009, 02:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Go ahead Gowza with this age old question, just to contradict BANFAN ..

I'm looking for a player in all international sports who is responsible for his own fine tuning without a coach

If that was possible why we need a coach? Why other sports of our country are so lacking? Why their development stops after a level? You mean none of them are trying to play better? Why do you need to go to a good school when all are teaching the same syllabus?

Leave Ashraful, I take that for the sake of argument that he isn't learning, it is his fault; what is with the rest of the players? Why do you even consider that the coach is doing right things & players are wrong? what evidence do you have for that? I have a dozzen evidence of coache's wrong policies.

If you like, lets list out rights and wrongs to weigh his contribution +/-
i'm not doing this just to contradict BANFAN, i believe both the player and the coach are responsible for the development rather than just one or the other. as for listing rights and wrongs, positives and negatives etc we did that a long time ago and didn't get anywhere. i'm not talking about anyone or any team specifically, the development of any player or any team in any sport is dependant on a number of people in various positions.

as for the BD team specifically, i'm not going to get into why i think the team hasn't progressed as much as we would have liked it to but i've already said that i believe it's time for siddons to move on from the BD national team.

also i've said that i believe siddons has played a part in ashraful's development, which has actually gotten worse since siddons came along (it seems that ashraful is going backwards and siddons is at fault for this but that doesn't excuse ashraful for allowing it either).

Last edited by Gowza; June 24, 2009 at 02:18 AM..
Old June 24, 2009, 10:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Great inputs all around.

BANFAN touched on the case of Aftab and JO, which I find interesting and without a doubt explains our shortcomings. To me, it is equally unnatural, when a batsman ( for example : JO and Rajin ) refuses to punish a ball that deserves to be hit. Equally unnatural is when a gaping hole in the field is not exploited due to lazy running between the wkts. And, it is super annoying, when a batsman continues to challenge the field set up for his demise just to show his natural gaming can overcome it. Each individual of our team ( or any team )does something with the bat that he is more comfortable with, or should I say, naturally comfortable. But, the other part of the equation is the opposition, who will not let you seat pretty in your comfort zone, and that is when we falter or what I call, head towards natural death. I think ours is the only team, when we as fans, can anticipate the fall of a wkt during a match more than any other team. The moment the pressure is on, we can see the writing on the wall. We do two things in those situations : Either we try to hit our way out of it , or we adopt the turtle strategy, which shuns the idea of run scoring . Neither helps the cause.

Coaching can do so much boys. It is ultimately up to us to play to the situation of the game. Coaches will come and go, but until and unless we change our individual ways of playing cricket with mental fortitude that is necessary, the outcomes will remain the same. Natural game has to be harnessed like somebody said, or in cases like JO types, it has to be discarded in certain situations.