facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 12, 2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Default Change Champions Trophy Format

i think ICC should change champions trophy format.i know its the fund rising tournament for ICC. but they should give priority to competitiveness of the game. remember the 1st event of this tournament( it as named as Wills Int'l Cup) at Dhaka,1998. how competitive it was! every match was like Do or Die situation.but i think the current tournamet is so boring compare to previous events , specially the progrees in preliminary round(SL-WI-BD-ZIM). its like totally a bogus round.i think ICC should change the current format and go back to previous concept of Knock Out.
what's ur opinion?
Old October 12, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Yes I agree. They should change the Champions Trophy format. The preliminary round should consist of SL, IND, PAK, WI. And then there should be polapan round with BAN, ZIM, KEN, NEPAL during off days .

Last edited by Fazal; October 12, 2006 at 11:23 AM..
Old October 13, 2006, 01:09 AM
Banned

only icc full members can participate.
Old October 13, 2006, 08:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Good joke Fazal bhai.

The current tournament lacks competetiveness. I agree.
Old October 13, 2006, 11:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Should be knockout, I agree, and start with some real rivalry matches (ie. in the opening stage, Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, Australia vs England etc etc).
Old October 13, 2006, 11:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Go back to the knock-out round and stop giving Aus all the advantages. The Wills Cup in B'desh was SO entertaining esp. the SA vs England one. SA chased down a target of 300+, 115 runs in the first 15 overs with the explosive batting of Cullinana.
Old October 14, 2006, 08:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Well, if it is knockout, there is no chance for BD, unless it is associate member team.
Old October 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I think the format's slightly better now. Less competitive, but less chance for real upsets. West Indies winning the previous CT was a shock. I think the current format might allow class and form to shine through.

3 complaints about the CT though..not that related to the format..

1) Preliminary Qualifying round
Doesn't allow Bdesh to take part in the "Real CTs". I hate reading articles about the "proper, real CTs" starting only on this Sunday and yadayada.

2) Grouping of Countries
Group B with Australia, England and India (and now West Indies) seems stronger than Group A with Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand (and now Sri Lanka). Groups should be of equal strength as much as possible. My perception might be wrong here, though.

3) Scheduling of matches
While the teams in Group A have a series of matches which allows momentum to be built, the Group B teams have a sucky scheduling. Long break between their first matches and second matches. Whatever momentum they gain in the first round, they lose it by the second round. I think this will affect the tournament's competitiveness too.

Last edited by cricfanz; October 14, 2006 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Old October 14, 2006, 09:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Current format works fine for me.More matches for BD and just one win against one big team might help us to get into 2nd round.So, I will advocate for current format cause I don't give a s**t to competitiveness, all I care is my team - BD.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:53 AM
Street Cricketer

Champions Trophy has been given a format which is quite different from the World Cup, another ICC cricket tournament where all top teams in the world participate. Under this ICC Champions Trophy structure, teams participating in the tournament have been kept in two groups: Group A and Group B.

Team Groups
Group A cricket teams are Australia, India, Pakistan and West Indies. Group B cricket teams are South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and England.

Who Plays Whom
Each side is scheduled to play the other three sides in each group. Every team of the group will play other teams only once. The first two sides in each group will move to the semi-finals. Then Group A winner will meet Group B runners-up while Group B winner will compete Group A runners-up. Winners of both the matches will meet in the finals.

Day-Night Matches
All matches in the ICC Champions Trophy will be day-night. This has been done keeping in view the humidity and heat in the month of September in Pakistan. Another reason is to attract more viewers to the stadiums.
Old September 19, 2009, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

KnockOut format is best format for champions trophy.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition