facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 11, 2004, 04:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default About Diets

I was channel surfing when I came upon a documentary about different diets on PBS, Channel 13. They were talking about the Akins diet so I decided to watch a little. What I learnt did surprise me. You can watch the program at the following link.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/

Among other things, it addresses the obesity epidemic in American but also brings to light the fact that obesity is spreading to other parts of the world, why that is so, and why individuals and govenments should be concerned.

The documentary also unveils the myth about "fat free" and "low carb" products that are out there in the market.

If you are concerned about eathing healthy then I would highly encourage you to watch it. If you are not, I would suggest you watch it anyway as what you eat will likely affect your kids, no matter where you live. It does put an end to debate on whether the Akins diet helps you lose weight and if it is good for you.

Old April 11, 2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I am not fat or anything (5'9" 160lbs). I did atkins diet for 4 weeks just for testing. It works pretty good. But you have to really watch how much carbs you are taking. To do that you have to measure your ketone release (with urine). Ketone is a by product when your body burns fat for energy. There are lot of over the counter ketone measurement strips costs around $12 for 50 strips.

But you must take good amount of vegis and multi-vitamins. It is quite hard to adjust in first few weeks, as we are "bhate bangali".
Old April 12, 2004, 09:36 PM
Test Cricketer

I dunno why ppl bother with temporary 'dieting' measures. The thing is, you have to change your WHOLE lifestyle for the REST of your life if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

On a similar topic, don't you find it funny how McDonalds is trying to stock 'healthy' food? For breakfast, they basically offer what you can buy at the supermarket! Why the heck would i want to be seen at a McD store eating what i could eat at home?? Sheesh. And then there are the TV ads showing mothers enjoying a salad while their fat kids eat Big Macs, with the slogan 'Now I can enjoy eating at McDonalds too'. Riiiight. So basically you are not willing to eat the same sh1t you buy your fat kid. And the sad thing is, there ARE ppl like that. Sometimes I think there should be certain criteria ppl need to fulfil in order to be ALLOWED to have offspring...

PS: Nasif, you're not fat but you went on the Atkins diet for four weeks? :duh:
Old April 12, 2004, 09:41 PM
Retired BC Admin

May I have a big mac and a diet coke please!
Old April 12, 2004, 09:42 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
PS: Nasif, you're not fat but you went on the Atkins diet for four weeks? :duh:
yes fab. As I said, I wanted to test the validity of the atkin's claim. With less than 20grams of carbs a day, body goes into fat burning. I had to test it out to see if it really worked. As it turns out, it works. I don't mind being a test subject

But as you said, to keep off the loss from atkins, you have to watch carb after your initial loss. If you go back to your usual "bhate" bangali style, you will regain the lost wait in no time. I lost 10+ pounds in around 4 weeks. After I stopped it, I got that 10 pounds back in next 4 weeks. (I am a "daal bhat" guy, love my carbs)