facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 2, 2004, 02:09 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default \'Huge weapons haul\' in Bangladesh

Police in Bangladesh say they have made their biggest seizure of illegal weapons in a haul that included AK-47 rifles, rocket launchers and grenades.

Ten lorries loaded with arms and ammunition were found in the south-eastern port city of Chittagong, the authorities say.

A home office minister said the cache was part of a conspiracy to destabilise the country.

An investigation is underway into the weapons and their likely destination.

India theory

Police acting on a tip-off found the arms being loaded into trucks from two boats on the river Karnaphuli.

Eight people were arrested.

Junior home minister Lutfozzaman Babor told the BBC the weapons were to be used inside Bangladesh as part of a "larger conspiracy" to destabilise the country.

However, a leading security expert, retired Brigadier Abdul Hafiz, said the weapons might have been destined for north-east India, where several groups are fighting Delhi's rule.

"Chittagong has a reputation of being used as a transit route for illegal arms," he said, but he added: "Whoever the recipient is, the national security of Bangladesh is involved."

This is not the first seizure of a large amount of weapons and ammunition in Bangladesh.

Last June, police recovered more than 100,000 rifle bullets and 150kg of explosives in the northern district of Bogra.
-BBC

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by rezwan1977]

Old April 2, 2004, 02:39 PM
Chief Moderator

so far they found

1050000 round guli!!

1500 A K 47!!!

150 rocket launchers

21000 grenades

-bbc bangla radio
Old April 2, 2004, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

The BBC made up that story. There were no arms found in Bangladesh today. There have never been any arms shipments made through Chittagong. If anyone has been destabilizing the country, it must be those commie loving Islam-hating leftist parties. Bangladesh is not a transit for any destabilization of India. There are no illegal training camps within 1000 miles of Chittagong. It simply is not true. The BBC lies. Our government has said so many times, and I for one believe every word they say.
Old April 2, 2004, 09:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes to the talibanization of Bangladesh.
May the rightist forces succeed.
Down with those godless communists like Shubho.
Old April 2, 2004, 10:16 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
The BBC made up that story. There were no arms found in Bangladesh today. There have never been any arms shipments made through Chittagong. If anyone has been destabilizing the country, it must be those commie loving Islam-hating leftist parties. Bangladesh is not a transit for any destabilization of India. There are no illegal training camps within 1000 miles of Chittagong. It simply is not true. The BBC lies. Our government has said so many times, and I for one believe every word they say.
This is the 3rd time I think. Everytime we blamed each other. I'm sure something more is waiting for us before April 30 deadline.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by rezwan1977]
Old April 3, 2004, 12:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by rezwan1977
I'm sure something more is waiting for us before April 30 deadline.
You r talking like our Junior home Minister, Mr. Lutfuzzaman... Pls dont be so cheap in thinking or making cometns, because you are the future generation of the country..!!
Now here are some points I would request everyone to count before jumping to any conclusions:
1. The kind of weapon discovered has never been used in any kind of terrorism ‘within the country’ before and not likely to be used in the very near future either.
2. The huge volume of weapons only implies a very very organized and wealthy international group of terrorists who r very successfully using BD as a good transit. (I am relay not very sure that our Defense froces is efficient and skilled enough to stop international weapon trades through the country!)
3. This kind of Weapon trade isn’t at all possible without the involvement of some ‘Middlemen’ on the lads that is being used as transit (not indicating govt. or the opposition party specifically, can be both.)

Unfortunately enough, the most responsible guy for these matters at the moment, Mr. Lutfuzzaman has already shown his intentions stating that it is an internal dirty politics trick.
Anyone care to note that he is the Authority here, not a cheap political voice?! So first of all he shouldn’t make cheap comments and accuse anyone without an investigation.
Secondly, if he knows who is to blame, its really solely his responsibility to bring that person or group to to the law, no matter who it is!!
Final result: as always, this matter will go completely uninvestigated like all the times before. Whether it is a stunt setup by the govt. itself or is it an international terrorism trade or maybe an international trade in which the political leaders in directly involved as illegal weapon trading (maybe both Govt. & Opposition Political Leaders) The whole thing will end again in both the sides blaming each other, because both the sides (Govt. & Opposition) know the real secret very very well and they agree about keeping it secret from the general public and that’s where their success lies.
Its really necessary that younger generation keep their eyes open and not get biased by the political showdowns from either the Govt. or the Opposition regarding these issues... because that is exactly what their aim is... to hallucinate!!
Old April 3, 2004, 04:07 AM
Banned

Just by the size of the cache and the types of weapons, it is possible to make a logical assumption about it's final destination. The government's failure to prevent such transit only points out the weakness in the intelligence infrastructure of our system, no matter who is in power. I'm sure these were headed for Indian border insurgency groups of some kind. They used our territory for transit.

Making up stories, on the other hand, is the reason for BBC to exist. Creating fictions under cover of authentic aura takes the form of sublime art with BBC. The English government works with direct collaboration, by creating stories of bitterness between BBC and government, just to give them more credibility. It's a supergiant bulls**t machine.
Old April 3, 2004, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

from the DS today on vessels that are in the port:

Port sources said 11 cargo vessels berthed at the port jetties since April 1.

Investigation will focus on three vessels that arrived at the outer anchorage of the port on Thursday night, another official said.

Of the three vessels, MV Orient Freedom and MV QC Honour, owned by BNP lawmaker Salauddin Qader Chowdhury, arrived from the Port Kelang of Malaysia with cargoes. The other vessel -- MV Ocean Moray -- arrived from Singapore.

1. former razakar and current mobster-turned-advisor to the PM SAQA Chowdhury owns 2 of the vessels - how convenient is that?

2. When the "good cops" finally showed up to nab the "bad cops" who were supervizing the unloading activities, the "young men with the cellphones" "melted away" with "40 workers". Is this is a bad movie? Have they heard of gheraoing the place so no one "melts away"? The bad cops would have left too but DS printed their names. Oops.
Old April 3, 2004, 08:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by billah

Making up stories, on the other hand, is the reason for BBC to exist. Creating fictions under cover of authentic aura takes the form of sublime art with BBC. The English government works with direct collaboration, by creating stories of bitterness between BBC and government, just to give them more credibility. It's a supergiant bulls**t machine.
are you serious?

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by rafiq]
Old April 4, 2004, 12:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Old April 5, 2004, 12:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Ha Ha This is a good one!

Cop in question to probe gunrunning
Fertiliser factory security men receive threats, OC denies involvement with smugglers
Staff Correspondent

The police officer at the heart of accusation of helping gunrunners in unloading the largest-ever arms cargo on the Karnaphuli coast on Friday was tasked with a probe in what Chittagong residents called 'a pernicious turn'.
Police on Saturday lodged two cases with Karnaphuli Police Station in connection with the arms haul. In both of the cases, Ahadur Rahman, officer-in-charge (OC) of the police station, is the plaintiff and has been assigned as the investigating officer.

Residents of the port city expressed despair as the news of his probe duty broke, and many of them said he might divert the focus of probe.

Witnesses to the arms offloading at Chittagong Urea Fertiliser Limited (CUFL) jetty accused Ahadur and three of his men of helping the gang in their act.

read on for more from this article in the DS
Old April 5, 2004, 01:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yay! free arms for our army
Old April 5, 2004, 01:28 PM
Cricket Legend

If a government cannot control the supply of drugs and arms entering a country, then just legalise it. Laws are useless if they are not respected or implemented.
Same goes for US.
No offense but just a thought for the day, however ludicrous it might seem.
Old April 5, 2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

If a government cannot control murder and robbery, then just legalise it. Laws are useless if they are not respected or implemented.
Same goes for US.
No offense but just a thought for the day, however ludicrous it might seem.
Old April 5, 2004, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Zunaid,

I got your point. Only a slight problem. I believe murder and robbery was legalized (on a defacto basis) long time ago by the powers to be. And while we are still on the issue, me and many others, include capital punishment in the category of murder. However, ludicrous it might seem.
Old April 5, 2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Oracle,

Unfortunately, I agree with your observations and views in the previous post including the one on Capital Punishment.

And I don't care however ludicrous we sound.
Old April 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Unfortunately, I agree with your observations and views in the previous post including the one on Capital Punishment.
But what about in countries like BD where the law is not upheld - how do you punish heinous crimes (like acid throwing) knowing full well that when then the next government comes, the criminal will be set free?

Just out of interest, how do you think the thugs who recently killed the two businessmen (by chopping them up into dozens of pieces), should be punished? What if they are Awami penguins?

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by fab]
Old April 5, 2004, 06:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Fab
I understand your concern and would empathise with the victims. However, it is a personal opinion and viewpoint, complicated by the sad fact that the religion I was brought up with has sancticified it.
But, in a twist, I also value the fact that Islam puts such a great emphasis on compassion and mercy. The sheer power of forgiveness that Islam has allowed speaks volumes and in conrast to other religions it is something to be proud of, really. I just wish that the latter was the case. I can never accept "eye for an eye" ,whatever the compelling arguments brought forward.

Anyway, we have detracted from the main subject, so I will not continue.
Old April 6, 2004, 07:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
Yay! free arms for our army
LOL
Surprisingly, that's the first thing that came to my mind too... You know that saying.. what is it

Dumb minds think alike?

Oracle always amuses me with his bizzarre thought process! He should take his ideologies and preach it among his Martian brothers! Planet Earth has no place for pusillanimous ppl.

No one believes in "eye for an eye" these days... you take my eye.. I gonna take both of your eyes, both of your balls, and maim you to make sure there will be no progenies.