facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 5, 2004, 07:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Justice in BD

oracle,
I'm probably sounding like Bush.. Don't get me wrong, I do generally agree with your views about capital punishment, and do believe people can be rehabilitated. But I am stumped for a solution in lawless third world countries with limited education of the general population. Lax laws will just make Bangladeshi criminals take advantage of them (we know our culture and the way BD thugs work!). Whereas harsh laws have been proven to work as a deterrent (in such countries). I am thinking more about prevention of crime, rather than justice itself.

Btw, one would have thought that given the state of gaols in BD, that itself is harsh punishment. Evidently not!

Old April 5, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Bangladesh should adopt the policy of the British, and send all her convicted murderers to Australia, instead of hanging them.
Old April 5, 2004, 11:14 PM
Test Cricketer

hehe I thought the objective was to prevent crime

btw, they didn't send many serious offenders to Australia, those crims were left in the UK, and by the looks of it seems like most of their descendants are in parliament. They only deported the small time loaf thieves etc (i.e. those who they could not fit in the over crowded prisons)
Old April 6, 2004, 12:04 AM
Cricket Legend

So you want to make Bangladesh into a Singapore? Let the punishment be so great that it serves as a deterrent? That's cool, except for a slight difference between the two countries.

In Bangladesh, governments are lawless so what do you want civilian criminals to do? Governments facilitate, initiate and practise lawlessness. Governments steal and rob national assets in crude as well as sophisticated ways.

Opposition parties practise freedom of assembly and speech by calling hartals and damaging public and private property.

When "lawmakers" have no respect for the law, how can they create and enforce laws in the country? It's a free-for-all, and let the best thug win!
Old April 6, 2004, 02:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
When "lawmakers" have no respect for the law, how can they create and enforce laws in the country? It's a free-for-all, and let the best thug win!
Good point. It's hopeless. Bangladesh is hopeless. A pathetic country full of pathetic people practicing a pathetic culture (I include myself and my relatives in the generalisation). Amra Bihar'er Dada. Time to stop dreaming eh?
Old April 6, 2004, 05:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Fab,
I am equally puzzled about this dilemma. But we can all start by agreeing on what is "not" acceptable. Throughout history enlightened people have dragged us towards the dream of a more humanistic society. I wish there were more of them. Here is one essay by Orwell which I have always found touching and I hope it clears away any lingering doubts.

A Hanging
Old April 7, 2004, 07:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default BD can win!!

Bangladesh need to address 4 issues to make any impact to make their citizen safe.

1) They have to curb drug use in BD. 75% of my acquintance (freinds) take some sort of drugs. These stat is worse in some circle. I have seen how drug change a picture perfect boy to a common thief. SSC and HSC both star, Ideal school/Dhaka college student turned to stealing CD,books, anything he could find just to support addiction. Lots of the violance,highjacking are drug infused.

2) Polticians need to stop arming the young for using them against political enemy. When politicians create a monster that monster goes out of control.

3) BD need to reduce unemployment rate way down. Desparate people take desparate measure. Lots of highjacking are just to make ends meat.

4) Stop theives getting into shangshad.

Old April 8, 2004, 02:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
I do generally agree with your views about capital punishment, and do believe people can be rehabilitated
All of you ppl need to get in touch with reality! Don't believe in capital punishment?? PLEASEEEEE! Especially Oracle!

It's easy to say this and that... when you gonna have someone really close to you get raped and murdered.. then come here and tell me - I do not support capital punishment..!

All of you ppl need to get out of your Quasi-Gandhi mood and be normal.

if You guys want ideas on how to put ppl to "sleep"... ask me! I got plenty!