facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 2, 2012, 11:22 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Fast Bowling

New rule will add variation to Tigers’ bowling: Jurgensen

Atif Azam

The use of two bouncers in an over in the one-day international as recommended by the International Cricket Council’s cricket committee recently will add variation to Bangladesh’s pace bowling attack, said bowling coach Shane Jurgensen.

The ICC’s cricket committee made the recommendation at its May 30-31 meeting at Lords where a wide range of issues were also discussed.

‘It’s hard to say at this moment as we have never played a game with that rule but the advantage for the bowlers is that it will provide another variation during the new ball, during the powerplay and the death overs,’ Jurgensen told New Age on Saturday.

‘Batters may then think twice whether to switch-hit, scoop or lap yorkers if they know that another bouncer is available to be used,’ said Jurgensen, who joined the Tigers in October, 2011 replacing Ian Pont.

Jurgensen observed that the Bangladeshi pace bowlers are at par with other players of the world as far fast bowling is concerned but believed that it will not be the only criterion for becoming successful with the bouncers.

‘We have guys pushing 135-140kph just like every other country does,’ said Jurgensen, who signed a contract that would see him with the Bangladesh team upto June 2013.

‘A good bouncer is just isn’t about the pace you bowl. It’s also about the impact of the pitch it has and also being smart about when to use the bouncer as a surprise,’ he said.

‘This rule if it comes in also includes the option for a slower bouncer too,’ said the Australian.

Among many other topics it was also discussed that the powerplay will be restricted to the first 10 overs plus one five-over batting powerplay, to be completed by the 40th over.

Unlike the past there would be no bowling powerplay and Jurgensen sees both advantage and disadvantage of it for the Tigers.
‘It may provide an opportunity to use more spin during the middle overs which may suit us and make life easier for the captains as it will help control the over rates slightly,’ said Jurgensen.

‘Bowling powerplays provide a lot of opportunity for wickets, our powerplay bowling was excellent in the recently concluded Asia Cup,’ he added.

http://www.newagebd.com/detail.php?d...6-03&nid=12452

Interesting observation of the fast bowlers - comparing them to anderson, roach, broad, bresnan, steyn, cummings, hilfenhaus, philander, malinga, gul, etc, etc, etc

Thoughts?

Last edited by Ian Pont; June 3, 2012 at 02:35 AM..

Old June 2, 2012, 11:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

uhm.....i dont know if you're that great yet.....but we will be soon InshaAllah
Old June 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
MLC World Series I

Did Shane include Shahadat as well while observing?

Our pacers lack the consistency to bowl wicket taking deliveries and to intimidate the batsmen.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Coach, Jurgensen forgot to wear his contacts that day. There are only few aameer, Roach, Malinga in this world. The wickets we have, we will not produce likes as such in near future. Heck we don't have a 150 wicket taker.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:11 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

i think shane had too much drink
Old June 3, 2012, 12:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: None Specifically

Nice to see Mr.Shane have so much confidence in our boys.. Hope the seamers can repay the confidence by some excellent performance in the T20 world cup!
Old June 3, 2012, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Perhaps just boosting their confidence, otherwise no. But I must say it has improved a lot recently in ODIs. Bowlers were pretty decent in Asia cup and were instrumental in the wins.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

And your source, Mr. Pont?
Old June 3, 2012, 01:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Jorgensen has learnt the art of flattery and it's effect in our society....he's hoping to get his contract extended.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Such a kaleidoscopic view of reality -- be it fueled purely by creativity or chemically induced -- is not only postmodern, but also of a different realm in the space-time continuum. Innovations like that are cool in art, literature, music and mathematical works and meanderings, not international cricket.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2012 at 02:34 AM..
Old June 3, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

so Shane found any new bowler ?
Old June 3, 2012, 02:01 AM
Cricket Savant

I am having hard time resisting a "Shane, response?" quip, but I am echoing First Class cricketer series here.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 3, 2012, 02:38 AM
Cricket Savant

In all seriousness, we'll never have quality fast bowlers or develop potentially good fast bowlers into the class of bowlers mentioned in Ian's original opening post in this country, until and unless:

1) We play on better pitches beyond BKSP.

2) We develop a culture of bowlers working hard on their own because of raw passion and desire.

Guys with decent pace like Rubel, Shubhashish, Raju, Rabbi, Robbin and Tanzin will do themselves a huge favor by playing a lot of cricket in environments where the right combination of better pitches and individual responsibility is the norm, not the exception. I'd love to see these guys play cricket in England, Australia of South Africa at ANY level. Even less pacy guys like Nazmul, Babu, Dollar, Zia and Reza may become better by playing there.

I don't even wanna think about Rajib
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 3, 2012, 02:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Saying this:

Quote:
Jurgensen observed that the Bangladeshi pace bowlers are at par with other players of the world as far fast bowling is concerned
Is not the same as saying:

Quote:
comparing them to anderson, roach, broad, bresnan, steyn, cummings, hilfenhaus, philander, malinga, gul, etc, etc, etc
There is a difference between being as fast as others and cherry picking and comparing them to some of the best in the world.

The context here is speed not the quality of the bowling and his reference speed is 135-140kph which is IMO the average speed of good fast bowlers if you don't cherry pick the best in the world.

I think you are putting words in his mouth, he didn't say we have bowlers who are as good as the best in the world. He is not comparing them with the best in the world.
Old June 3, 2012, 02:50 AM
First Class Cricketer

I would be keen to know exactly what Shane said and under what context. Also since he's already in BC, I think we should ask him what did he exactly mean, rather than trying trying to analyse it ourselves.
Old June 3, 2012, 02:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Saying this:

Is not the same as saying:

There is a difference between being as fast as others and cherry picking and comparing them to some of the best in the world.

The context here is speed not the quality of the bowling and his reference speed is 135-140kph which is IMO the average speed of good fast bowlers if you don't cherry pick the best in the world.

I think you are putting words in his mouth, he didn't say we have bowlers who are as good as the best in the world. He is not comparing them with the best in the world.
i concur
Old June 3, 2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I don't even wanna think about Rajib
Sohel bhai, it's not only Rajib's fault, rather it's our team management and selectors! If you don't consider the game format and select players accordingly, you lost it right there IMHO.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Sohel bhai, it's not only Rajib's fault, rather it's our team management and selectors! If you don't consider the game format and select players accordingly, you lost it right there IMHO.
Agree 100%. Can never get a 150CC Bajjaj to race like a 500CC Ninja although they're both Kawasaki bikes. What bothers me is when the 150CC Bajjaj runs like a old man unable to control his bladder while riding a bicycle.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
i concur

+1

As usual, we are too quick to make a statement (without even reading it properly!).
Old June 3, 2012, 03:09 AM
Cricket Savant

To be fair, Ian edited his original post later and most of us were responding to that, not what's there now. This was his original post:

Quote:
Interesting observation of the fast bowlers - comparing them to anderson, roach, broad, bresnan, steyn, cummings, hilfenhaus, philander, malinga, gul, etc, etc, etc

Thoughts?
I don't see Jurgensen actually mentioning those names but clearly see how his comments as reported can be interpreted the way Ian has interpreted them. Fact is, our fast bowlers have a long way to go when it comes to fast bowling in international cricket, and "just pace" is but one aspect of fast bowling at the highest level. Jurgensen's reported comment is at best a massive stretch. According to the report, he didn't say "at par with other players of the world as far as pace is concerned" but "as far as fast bowling is concerned". "Fast bowling" isn't just "bowling fast". Cherry picking seems to be happening both ways.

Then again, the reporter could be taking liberties here creating the ambiguity.

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2012 at 04:22 AM..
Old June 3, 2012, 03:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Such a kaleidoscopic view of reality -- be it fueled purely by creativity or chemically induced -- is not only postmodern, but also of a different realm in the space-time continuum. Innovations like that are cool in art, literature, music and mathematical works and meanderings, not international cricket.
what does this "jumbled bunch of words" haphazardly put together even mean and what does it have to do with this thread?
Old June 3, 2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Can never get a 150CC Bajjaj to race like a 500CC Ninja although they're both Kawasaki bikes. What bothers me is when the 150CC Bajjaj runs like a old man unable to control his bladder while riding a bicycle.
So true. And here comes BCB's lack of policy and procedures in place...

I remember when Shahadat first started, he was a good prospect for Bangladesh. Once Shahadat started doing well, we made him "hero" who started to think to be "Sha Rukh Khan" leading an indiscipline lifestyle to ruin himself! BCB failed to groom him (and some others) as they have no policy in place. Sad but true.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
To be fair, Ian edited his original post later and most of us were responding to that, not what's there now. This was his original post:

I don't see Jurgensen actually mentioning those names but clearly see how his comments as reported can be interpreted the way Ian has interpreted them. Fact is, our fast bowlers have a long way to go when it comes to fast bowling in international cricket, and "just pace" is just one aspect of fast bowling at the highest level. Jurgensen's comment is at best a massive stretch. He didn't say "with par with other players of the world as far as pace is concerned" but " as far as fast bowling is concerned" but "as good as others".Cherry picking seems to be happening both ways.

Then again, the reporter could be taking liberties here.
Fair enough. Didn't read Ian's unedited post. I withdraw my comment.
Old June 3, 2012, 04:03 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Any idea what other world fast bowlers you guys think the Bangladesh pacers are on a par with? Is this just about speed (as in other bowlers bowl 125-135 so we are not slower).

It serves to show as a lesson that things taken out of context can have a different meaning.

If you have the word SPEED into the sentence: Jurgensen observed that the Bangladeshi pace bowlers SPEED is at par with other players of the world as far fast bowling is concerned... then the meaning is totally different.

I highlight this because so many people misunderstand what is sometimes said. This was a classic and deliberate example of editing someone's comments. What Shane was saying was that the local bowlers are no slower than some other bowlers in other countries. He is quite correct. Taken out of context it can simply be he is saying the pace attack is AS GOOD as others, which he never said.

This is the danger of reporting, tweeting and interviews. They can be viewed many ways.
Old June 3, 2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Any idea what other world fast bowlers you guys think the Bangladesh pacers are on a par with? Is this just about speed (as in other bowlers bowl 125-135 so we are not slower).

Bangladesh pacers are on par or EVEN better than any Indian bowlers at the moment IMHO if you consider only SPEED.

Our pacers are better than any Zimbabwean also. WE aren't that behind as to Pakistani pacers as well at the mement.