facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old February 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul
Default A book about footballer Munna (r)

He was one of the best Bangladeshi footballers I have had the priviliege to watch. Strong, tough and industrious- would probably best describe the late Bangladeshi "King back" Munem Munna. He was also very popular in West Bengal. Glad to see an author honouring a great player of BD football by penning a book about him.

Football

Book on Munna published

Sports Reporter

Cover of 'King Back Monem Munna'
A commemorative book on legendary defender late Monem Munna -- King Back Monem Munna -- hit the stalls at the Ekushey Boi Mela on Wednesday.

Munna's son Azman Salid unveiled the cover of the book yesterday at the Nazrul Mancha at Bangla Academy.

Edited by journalist Imrul Kabir Sumon, the 320-page book at Tk 400 will take readers and football fans down memory lane with touchy and informative write-ups by Munna's football colleagues of home and abroad, other sports personalities, eminent politicians, organisers, journalists and fans.

The writers include Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina, Dhaka City Mayor Sadek Hossain Khoka, Indian star footballer Baichung Bhutia, former Sri Lanka and Abahani booter Pakir Ali, late journalist Masud Ahmed Rumi and Indian newsman Rupak Saha.

A collection of hundreds of news items and features, the book also has pictures of the country's one of the greatest footballers, who died of kidney ailments at the age of 39 on February 12, 2005.

The book is being marketed by publication house Anyaprakash.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=25419

Old February 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

He was a very kind man too. very down to earth. Once i was with my cousin at Abahani Club. My causin was a cricketer so after their practice every one have tea break and food. Since i was not a player or anything i was just standing there and watching sallaudin and aslam(they were X by that time) playing in a corner and all off a sudden Munna Bhai came. he was then the capatain. And right a way asked me how i was and whom i came with and ask the clubs to give me some food too (from labamba).. i was taken back by this cause he was the biggest star and even though x star like aslam or salahuddin wouldn't even talk with me....

Anyway Wanted to share the memory...

Any idea how i could purchase this book?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 28, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

akabir77,

Thanks for sharing your personal experience and highlighting Munnas kindness towards you...May Allah grant him the Jannah!

You must have been quite a picchi then and you were amidst such an esteemed company...legendary Salahuddin no less! He was probably Bangladesh's first sporting star. Although, I have heard about the Magician footballer 'Jadugor' Samad from my late grand-father (may Allah grant him the Jannah)...he probably was quite a player!

Get in touch with the publisher or get someone to send it to you from BD.
Old February 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Indeed he was a great player…one of my all time favorite Bangladeshi player. I will definitely try to get a copy of it while I’m in Dhaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Any idea how i could purchase this book?
Akabir bhai, please check your IM.
Old February 28, 2008, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
akabir77,

Thanks for sharing your personal experience and highlighting Munnas kindness towards you...May Allah grant him the Jannah!

You must have been quite a picchi then and you were amidst such an esteemed company...legendary Salahuddin no less! He was probably Bangladesh's first sporting star. Although, I have heard about the Magician footballer 'Jadugor' Samad from my late grand-father (may Allah grant him the Jannah)...he probably was quite a player!

Get in touch with the publisher or get someone to send it to you from BD.
Yeah i was very picchi... my jaw dropped when i saw sallahuddin standing in a corner...

Yeah i will ask my sisters to get it for me...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This only shows how Bangladesh squashes talent. Yes he was one of the best defenders for BD to play the game (along with Kaiser Hamid and others) but in my opnion he was the best midfielder Bd never tested. By need BD put him in the backfield but he was a natural midfielder that we never saw. West Bengal had the opportunity to see his natural talent flourish. His coach, I can't remember may be a checz or Russian once said, how could BD play him in defense? Where the entire Bengal does not have a better midfielder than Munna. I believe he scored many goals over there 10+ too. He was a natural play maker like bhutia now.
Old March 23, 2008, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

yes he was a great player. good defender or good defensive midfielder. he was chased by indian football clubs and if i am not wrong was the most expensive player in the subcontinent for quite some time. tough sturdy defender and very good in tackles. had battles with good strikers like bhutia, rohimov etc. and came on top nearly every time

80s and early 90s, Bd produced some of the best talents in soccer. Sabbir who was regarded the best player in asia by coach naser hejaji, Aslam the striker by instinct, Kawser hamid the tall dashing defender , Munna and many others. The dhaka league was quite lucrative and I remember several very good players from iran, iraq, russia, nigeria played there. it looks like a distant memory now Bd had such good footballers and will probably never produce them again.