facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 30, 2004, 06:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Batting second is better...

Cricket batting myth hit for six
Anna Salleh

The common wisdom that it's better to bat first if you win the toss in test cricket has been debunked by a new statistical analysis by Australian researchers

Article

Old March 30, 2004, 03:36 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

it only counted matches of four years. 1997 to 2001, whereas test cricket has history of above 100 years. choosing a different time frame can very likely be change the outcome of the stats. i think the myth of batting first is true. it would be interesting to see what the total stat is, instead of a time frame. anyone interested to do that? go to this Complete List of Test Matches and randomly choose about 200 of them and see what the stat is. according to the rule of stat, if u choose it randomly, it should represents the entire picture.
Old March 30, 2004, 11:54 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
"In the old days they used to have uncovered wickets and so the wickets would get weather on them,"
This obviously has evened out the difference between batting first and last but ...

Quote:
"[The second-batting advantage] could be because it just so happened that the better teams always batted second,"
I guess this is also significant. There are too many teams with poor bowling lineups these days. A team like India or WI - with good batting lineups, but bad bowlers - will rarely choose to bowl first. The presence of bad bowlers will also mean that such teams win fewer games.

In the case of stronger teams, which usually have good pace attacks like SAF or Australia, they bowl first more often than India or WI, and would also win more tests. This might have swayed the results in the recent seasons.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by Tintin]
Old March 31, 2004, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

well i will never say that batting second is always the best choice or batting first is always the best choice. it all depends on the pitch and the weather. it also depends i think what team you are playing against.
Old March 30, 2005, 12:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

For me....In a pressure game one shud always look to bat first.....U know...put the runs on the board and ask the opposition to get em......Specially in cup finals....cheers....
Old March 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i don't think the views in the article are properly backed up with sufficient logic. like agent said, a 150 year trend doesn't change in 4 years.
Old March 31, 2005, 08:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
it only counted matches of four years. 1997 to 2001, whereas test cricket has history of above 100 years. choosing a different time frame can very likely be change the outcome of the stats.
Right, I didn't think this was a comprehensive study.
Old March 31, 2005, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

That's useless, I'm sure if they really investigated all the factors over a long period of time batting first would be the best. Chasing in one-dayers however can have its advantages