facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 28, 2005, 09:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Consider BD to have shown more nerves than India?

The India-Pak 3rd test situation reminded me fast of the very recent BD-ZIM 2nd Test match.
Considering Pakistan to be the less favorite in this series, in both the cases Bangladesh & India were up to defend their test series threatened by lesser oppositions.

Bangladesh was pushed to sustain almost 5 full sessions, playing 150 overs, or score 374 runs to save the series.

Whereas, India’s hugely strong batting side had just over 3 sessions to survive or go to score a somewhat similar 384 runs in a rather Batting-Paradise.

I would say this defeat of India was a collapse of their nerves and BD’s job was far tougher because Dhaka Pitch was surely not a Batting-Paradise like that one of India. In both cases, the ‘Series-defending’ team did not really go for suicidal chasing of the target. And in both matches strength-balance of the oppsitions may be taken as similar.

BD probably did far better job in playing the ‘Nerves-game’

Old March 28, 2005, 11:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

It appeared as if Indian tail started after the fall of Sehwag's wicket. But still there is no comparison between Pakistan's bowling attack and Zimbabwe's bowling attack. Major Test teams will not suffer from a bout of nerves against the Zimbabwe bowling attack.
Old March 28, 2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Situation was similiar, BD did better there.

Opponent strength is very different, thus we can not compare if that makes us stronger.
Old March 28, 2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

India has a very talented team but has a egomaniac as their captain. This test should have been drawn. I thought India actually had a shot at winning. If Ganguly wasn't so busy talking down about teams like ZImbabwe and Bangladesh, he could have done more for his team. Managed a 1 in the first innings and DOUBLED (wow) his score in the second. Net result, 48 runs in 5 innings @ 9.6 runs/innings. Atleast he beat Balaji and Bhajji.

Compare that to INzi (the sole reason we did not get a test win against Pakistan, GRRRRRRRRR). 401 runs in 6 innings @ 80.2. Actually, that's not fair of me. I should compare Gangu with Kumble (95 iin 5 innings, 4 not outs) or batting maestro Irfan Pthan (64 in 5 innings @ 16 average). Pathan and Kumble had high scores of 37* and 38* while Dada showed them both with a high of 21.

-----
He could have avoided this comparisons only if had kept his mouth shut about the status of BD. It's none of his business. Let the ICC and people of BD worry about that. He should go focus more on his own place in test cricket.
Old March 28, 2005, 01:05 PM
Retired BC Admin

Just forgive him, Tehsin, will ya? I did. As we started to perform, I've become more generous

Whatmore billed that draw against Zimbabwe more satisfying than the win. There must be a good reason for that. May be the Bangladesh showed the signs of maturity on that day, not as indivizuals but as a whole, as a team.

While Pakistan can not be compared to Zimbabwe, the balance is somewhat proportional. The difference between BD and Zim is comparable to that of India and Pak. However, Bangladesh was in far difficult position as crickethorizon explained beautifully.

The fundumental aspect of India's second innings is that, they chased from the very begining. With 4th innings difficulties in mind and less than 100 overs to go, I think it was a poor decision to chase 380+ runs from the very beginning, more so when they are already ahead with 1-0.

And that's what makes Bangladesh's effort more sweat. They knew their limits and both options of either chasing or defending were dificult. They made the right decision and followed that script with perfect execution.

In the end, India is still far matured a team to be compared to Bangladesh, not atleast now. But we are coming..
Old March 28, 2005, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think bangladesh made a great effort to save the 2nd test against ZIM. But the reality is that it was the only time that we were able to play so well in the second innings. That too against a weaker opposition who might not have been able to exploit the pitch as much due to their inexperience! I think we still have a lot to prove.

So i think as BD supporters we should not play the "comparing game" with India. Let's worry about our team only and not get into a fight with other teams.
Old March 28, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Depends on how you slice the issue. Here are some:

1) On paper, the difference of strength between ZIM and BAN was less than the difference of strength between IND and PAK.

2) IND PAK series always add extra pressure. However, for BAN it was their first ever series win at stake. So its a break even.

3) IND failed to acheive the goal whereas BAN accomplished their target.

based on these three, BD to have shown more nerves than India.
Old March 28, 2005, 11:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rajputro
Situation was similiar, BD did better there.

Opponent strength is very different, thus we can not compare if that makes us stronger.
Well the difference in strengths between BD/ZIM and Ind/Pak is pretty silmilar. So I'd say it is not a completely unfair comparison.
Old March 29, 2005, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well I feel Bangladesh wud have done a better job if they were in the position that India was in even against Pakistan.....JAVED OMAR alone wud have played 40 overs against this Pakistani attack...cheers....

PS: We were definitely in a much more difficult position to save the match against Zimbabwe than India yesterday...
Old March 29, 2005, 01:12 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Both sides played pathetic cricket, and BD's opposition wasn't strong enough to take advantage of that.
Old March 29, 2005, 05:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Both sides played pathetic cricket, and BD's opposition wasn't strong enough to take advantage of that.
Which sides are you referring to?
Old March 29, 2005, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i wouldn't compare the two scenarios - pak have a stronger bowling attack than the zims, and those were two different days in two different places.
Old March 29, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by couger
Which sides are you referring to?
BD and India

BD had very good chance of winning if they played normal cricket. And India could never lose if they didn't try to force a draw.
Old March 30, 2005, 02:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

In the end.... we beat them, on there turf! :duh: