facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 9, 2005, 06:28 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Telegraph: Bangladesh coach sounds note of defiance

By Simon Briggs
(Filed: 10/05/2005)

The Bangladeshis make a low-key entrance to the English summer this morning by taking on British Universities at Cambridge, a suitable venue for a team who have yet to outgrow their status as the freshmen of the international scene.
While the players sat for photographs yesterday at the team hotel, their coach, Dav Whatmore, was rehearsing all the usual arguments in defence of Bangladesh's Test status: learning curves, vast pools of talent, that sort of stuff.

But in the midst of this familiar debate, Whatmore sounded a welcome note of defiance. Why, he asked, had his strike bowler Mashrafe Mortaza not been included in yesterday's initial squads for the ICC Super Series?

For those who have not been following this innovation closely, the International Cricket Council have arranged a contest between Australia and the Rest of the World for this coming October. Yesterday saw the announcement of two 30-man squads - one for Tests, one for one-day internationals - and not a Bangladeshi among them.

Mortaza may not be a big name this side of the Ganges delta, but his Test record of 43 wickets at 33.76 compares well enough with a couple of other Asian quicks who did win selection: India's Irfan Pathan (45 at 33.08) and Pakistan's Naved-ul-Hasan (seven at 58.42).

More importantly, as Whatmore pointed out: "It would have been a huge shot in the arm for Bangladesh cricket generally. I would have said 'Look mate, it's your initial squad and this kid can play.' That's not to say that he would have made the final team but it would have been nice. I think they missed an opportunity."

A real handful during England's tour of Bangladesh 18 months ago, Mortaza has a wonderful opportunity to rebuff the ICC's selectors over the next few weeks. Though he says his action was not consciously modelled on anyone, the long, lithe swoop of his right arm is reminiscent of the Australian great Ray Lindwall. His away-swing could trouble an England batting line-up that has collectively failed to scratch a mark on the crease this season.

Now that Mortaza has recovered from double knee surgery at the end of 2003, Bangladesh's bowling can offer a cutting edge in any conditions. Mohammad Rafique and 18-year-old Enamul Haque make up a slow left-arm duo that many countries would envy. But the batting remains a mess. Habibul Bashar, the captain, is the only established player with an average over 30 - and even his 34.83 would struggle to get him into a Rest of the World fourth XI.

English cricket followers can take more comfort from the ICC's selection, as they have seven representatives in the two squads. Interestingly, Andrew Flintoff is the only man to feature in both forms of the game, a statistic that underlines how difficult Duncan Fletcher has found it to blend the Test and one-day teams together.

Michael Vaughan, Andrew Strauss and Steve Harmison are in the Test match squad, while Darren Gough, Marcus Trescothick and Kevin Pietersen make it into the one-dayers.

"It's a great incentive to try and get into the squad of 20 and then into the final 13," said Vaughan, whose previous five Tests against Australia have brought him 633 runs. "To get into the final squad we're going to have to play well this summer. Goals are important and there's an ultimate goal to aim for there."

Source >>

Old May 9, 2005, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I hav always wondered why Naved ul Hasan made it into the team.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Mortaza may not be a big name this side of the Ganges delta, but his Test record of 43 wickets at 33.76 compares well enough with a couple of other Asian quicks who did win selection: India's Irfan Pathan (45 at 33.08) and Pakistan's Naved-ul-Hasan (seven at 58.42).
He can wait a bit as i believe he will get chances in future, but i can sympathise with Dav's point about the shot in the arm.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think it is the Bush-Blair-Parvez connection
Old May 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
I hav always wondered why Naved ul Hasan made it into the team.
I think it is the Bush-Blair-Musharraf connection
Old May 9, 2005, 06:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Look at the bright side, when the rest of the world gets their rear kicked by the Aussies, they can't blame the BD cricketers!!
Old May 9, 2005, 06:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

I see a start of a Top-10 reasons we should be glad that BD cricketers are not included in the Rest of the XI
Old May 9, 2005, 07:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Is Telegraph tunning down their criticism of Bangladesh? Sounds like they are praising our bowlers!

Edited on, May 10, 2005, 12:06 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Is Telegraph tunning down their criticism of Bangladesh? Sounds like they are praising our bowlers!

Edited on, May 10, 2005, 12:06 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
sounds like it.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

The Sun sounds more belegrant towards BD-

"Smooth talking cannot mask the statistical evidence. This lot are useless and should be nowhere near Test status."
Old May 9, 2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

It's Simon Briggs - I believe has been fair to us - if you are one who are able to take valid criticisms
Old May 9, 2005, 08:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Did Briggs just compare Mortaza with Ray Lindwall or do my eyes deceive me?
Old May 9, 2005, 09:04 PM
BC Editorial Team

he did indeed. Briggs is alright. It's Berry that I'd like to meet in an andheri gali...
Old May 9, 2005, 09:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
The Sun sounds more belegrant towards BD-

"Smooth talking cannot mask the statistical evidence. This lot are useless and should be nowhere near Test status."

I wouldn't take the blatherings of a newspaper whose top banner is: "Score with a Page 3 Girl!!" too seriously.

If statistics were that important there would be no point in playing the Ashes.

And if I remember correctly England struggled against our A side while touring here in 2003 and were in danger of losing the first test until the 5th day.

Edited on, May 10, 2005, 2:18 AM GMT, by capslock.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:53 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Looks like if we can take it to fifth day then it could be a Bad luck for England too . It may be a draw ya never know in test cricket .

Bangladesh, who begin their tour against British Universities in Cambridge today, became the 10th Test nation in 2000 only because the all-powerful Asian block insisted on it.

This all rubbish according to Sun , it means we got the test status caz of all-powerfull Asian block insisted on it .... So it means we can't play tests or what ? We have to show this time just make a draw to tell England so we can play . I am seek of this kinda article from English people .

Edited on, May 10, 2005, 5:09 AM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.