facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2005, 11:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Why cancel Zimbabwe ?

I have read that BCB is considering dropping a tour planned to Zimbabwe for later this year, in order to ensure an uninterrupted domestic competition.

I also learn from most posts in this forum and also the Bangladeshi press that the Bangladeshi domestic cricket structure is not adequate.

I read in the Daily Star today that some Premier League cricketers are hard put to find a team for the upcoming Corporate League, as First Division and Youth Squad players are preferred since they cost less !

Given this scenario, my opinon is that it would be a good idea to fly to Zimbabwe and play some good international cricket on foreign soil, with a team with more or less the same level of ability as Bangladesh.

True, the domestic structure has to be improved but it cannot happen overnight !! Right now, it might not be a good idea to drop an international tour for this domestic cricket !

What do you think, my friends ?

Old September 26, 2005, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i think the ppl at the bcb are dumb beyond belief
Old September 26, 2005, 11:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i think the ppl at the bcb are dumb beyond belief
Quite eloquently put, in my opinion.

I hear that a lot of money flows through the system in Bangladesh. People who manage cricket should be there for the love of the game and of course Bangladesh; not MONEY.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Even if BCB ppl are professional idiots, I reckon the bastmen need some time at the crease, even if our domestic cricket ain't that competitive. Sri Lankan tour was a failure becoz of the mental approach of batsmen. Maybe they need a break from international cricket and tours etc, and concentrate on spending time at the crease.

Then again, tushar imran spent hours at the crease in England. He comes to Sri Lanka and makes an idiot of himself.

I hope Watmore really has found out what the problem is.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

they way i look at it is that there is no point spending hours on the crease facing a premier league chucker throwing a bunch of rubbish at you. domestic cricket can only benefit us in the long term. playing zimbabwe in their homeground, and thus facing better bowlers than the ones in the leagues, and that too in foreign conditions, would be a better option for the short term. it will at least enable the players to remain in touch with competitive cricket (domestic cricket is not yet competitive - it doesn't matter if your team loses the championship).

domestic cricket, imo, is for the players who will be emerging five/six years from now. the current bunch, i.e. the top 15/16, can only improve by playing quality opponents on a regular basis. since playing county sides or other first class teams is not an option, this opportunity to play zimbabwe should have been taken, as they are of similar standards.

Edited on, September 27, 2005, 4:57 AM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old September 27, 2005, 12:22 AM
Test Cricketer

ATMR,

i can't argue against your case unless I start bringing in a lot of speculative thinking. I just wanna know what the hell happened in lanka, and also, if there is any way to solve whatever the problem is.

Edited on, September 27, 2005, 5:28 AM GMT, by aosaif.
Old September 27, 2005, 02:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

I think, the team will visit Zimbabwe.
if not, the only reason can be they are afraid of the Zimbabweans!
Old September 27, 2005, 02:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
they way i look at it is that there is no point spending hours on the crease facing a premier league ....domestic cricket can only benefit us in the long term. playing zimbabwe in their homeground, and thus facing better bowlers than the ones in the leagues, and that too in foreign conditions, would be a better option ....
I agree with you. This is what I thought too.

The top players will benefit immensely from a series against Zimbabwe.
Old September 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

No matter how glorius the old days (British period to 1995) were..the game of cricket improved drastically when many outsiders came play in BD cricket leagues. Our players saw what type of physical fitness and batting/bowling + fielding skills you need to succeed. That injected lotsa good stuff in BD cricket. Srilankan dudes even played in Rajshahi or Bagerhat leagues..and improved our cricket..

I believe, we must restructure the BD cricket leagues, have more outsiders coming in and elevate the level of the game. We need practice - very badly.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

not practice, u ppl had enough of it! it is th tactics n how to counter attack the team aginst u!
self confidence n the triple d's!(determination.dedication and devotion)
Old September 27, 2005, 10:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by abherath
I have read that BCB is considering dropping a tour planned to Zimbabwe for later this year, in order to ensure an uninterrupted domestic competition.
Well.. there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding here. BD team was not supposed to go to Zimbabwe... rather ZIM was supposed to be invited to BD. BCB was supposed to ask ZIM if they want to host the series.. but most likely they have refused to do so. And since Inviting ZIM during the only domsetic season of the year would hamper it... BCB is probably thinking about cancelling it.

It sounds like a mixed up situation.
Old September 27, 2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

This is a good strategic move by BCB not to press Zimbabwe hard to come to BD after they initially refused to come....at this moment we can't afford losing to Zimbabwe...by playing in domestic leagues without any interruptions, our players may get their fragile confidence back....atleast this is an opportunity for them....
Old September 27, 2005, 02:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

I am glad that BCB cancelled ZIM tour. Our boys needed time to themselves to reflect on the lessons learned and get their confidence back.
Old September 27, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think not having any international cricket for the next couple of months is a blessing in disguise. Let's give the players a break and give them an opportunity to develop their game away from the massive stage of international cricket.
Old September 27, 2005, 02:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

also the die hard fans need a mouth rest 2. they use those 2 much during any series...
Old September 27, 2005, 04:16 PM
Street Cricketer

I agree. 4-5 months away from IC will help us. The players need to find their feet playing at home.
Old September 27, 2005, 07:51 PM
Club Cricketer

Break from what? Break from a break. The way they played, it looked like they were never playing.

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
I think not having any international cricket for the next couple of months is a blessing in disguise. Let's give the players a break and give them an opportunity to develop their game away from the massive stage of international cricket.
Old September 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

hmmm my opinion in this regard is BCB is doing the right thing. They played lot of international cricket in last few months, and ended up mostly with zero. rather let them play some cricket at home, let some time go, let them set their mind for internatinal cricket and let them be eager to play international cricket. I hope by the time they would get enuf time to refine themselves (i wonder thought!)
Old September 28, 2005, 03:07 AM
Cricket Legend

I would have preffered some 3 day matches instead of the Asia cup. It would have been more beneficial to both Zimbabwe and BD.
And why are we worried about embarrasments or potential banana skins at this point?
Old September 28, 2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

because you fall down when you put your foot on a banana peel ..ouch!
Old September 28, 2005, 10:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

They are making a big mistake by dropping the plan to play Zimbabwe. Why are they doing this ? After Srilanka defeat are they afraid to play against Zimbabwe and fear they might loose game. If they played they could decrease the failure percentage to some extend.
Old September 28, 2005, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Right_Way
Break from what? Break from a break. The way they played, it looked like they were never playing.

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
Very well said. It appears as though we are having a break from a "break". I am all for the series to go on. Win or loss doesn't matter to me. What's the worst that will happen? The International media will ridicule us for losing to Zimbabwe? I thought we had grown thick enough skin by now. 3-day, 4-day matches aren't bad either. If bureaucracy really is to cancel the series, I suggest inviting over Zimbabwe's 2nd String team and let them play our A team. We can arrange a marathon series of 5 4-day matches and 5 one-dayers. That practice can't be any worse than a whole season of CCL for 15 odd players.
Old September 28, 2005, 10:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Break from what?
For Players: Break from experimental batting.

For Fans: Break from high hopes & pathetic disappoinments.

Old September 28, 2005, 10:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Quote:
Break from what?
For Players: Break from experimental batting.

For Fans: Break from high hopes & pathetic disappoinments.

I totally agree with you 1000%.
Just want to add, our Coach should give all BD players a target for each and every game. In this way they will be more focused and responsible. We need mental alertness from all BD players.
Old September 29, 2005, 09:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Well.. there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding here. BD team was not supposed to go to Zimbabwe... rather ZIM was supposed to be invited to BD. BCB was supposed to ask ZIM if they want to host the series.. but most likely they have refused to do so. And since Inviting ZIM during the only domsetic season of the year would hamper it... BCB is probably thinking about cancelling it.

It sounds like a mixed up situation.
And I liked to add: It is a good thing these boys need a break from Int. Cricket. Domestic Cricket is no joke. If ash, bashar or aftab fail and someone else like nazimuddin, musfiq are scoring in 100's that would be interseting to see. it will put more pressure on the current lineup to produce. Also our local boys need to experience or atleast associates with the big boys. it will help the bowlers learn a thing or two from mash, tapash, rafiq. For the long run this move would be good.