facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 2, 2006, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Default I hope BC management do not take any impulsive decisions

I have seen that chinaman has temp. locked the two "hot" threads on forget cricket forum. This is not a political thread just my two cents on the topic. I think if you allow such discussions it makes the forum more lively but I do agree that things need to stay under control as well. I am ok as long as there is no galagaali going on. Sarcastically making fun of a poster's comment is not that bad I feel. If BC decides to abolish political threads I think they would be taking the easy way out of the problem which I would not like to see. If anyone has any comment about this you are most welcome. Once again, this thread is not a poltical thread just my opinion on the fate of the two threads that chinaman has shut down temp.

Old December 2, 2006, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

well, those two threads were not providing a lot of constructive thoughtful stuff. lots of unnecessary taunting. not exactly something to be proud of.
Old December 2, 2006, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I agree with Arnab bhai, although Shahriyar bhai also got a point (that being, it's an easy way out).

I noticed that a couple of posters in those threads don't participate in anything else other than those political threads. BC being a forum for BD cricket lovers (and sometimes for world cricket), it's not really a nice idea to have people only argue about political (or some unrelated to circket) stuff.

Having said that, I think that every forum should have some general discussion, which is (I believe) the real motive for FC. And that created a space for some of us who like talking more about politics than cricket. I don't mean that this contradicts any policies on BC (not even sure if there's one), but ultimately it's something that I feel is undesirable to maintain a proper atmosphere.

Just thought I'ld post my thoughts
Old December 2, 2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Kabir hit it spot on. We try to be lax but not when it sullifies the atmosphere here and detracts from BC's main business - which is after all, surprise, surprise, Bangladesh cricket.

As an aside, there is a point about this under the Forum Rules and Guidelines. Yes, it is capitalized and yes, it does exist. The FAQ link above should get one there and of course every member is supposed to have "signed-off" on this when they came "signed-on". Look under the section "Forum Abuse". Once again, we rather like to be relaxed in our moderation attempts and keep our interventions to the bare minimum. But, sometimes ....
Old December 3, 2006, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

I was actually going to request CM or other moderators to close those two threads along with another thread. Those were going no where. And Kabir Bhai hit the nail correctly some of the posters were only posting in those threads completely forgetting that this is cricket site. I even appreciate CM's initiative for blanket ban on political discussion. Because with current political situation in Bangladesh it is impossible to maintain a proper environment without throwing mud.
Old December 3, 2006, 12:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
I was actually going to request CM or other moderators to close those two threads along with another thread. Those were going no where. And Kabir Bhai hit the nail correctly some of the posters were only posting in those threads completely forgetting that this is cricket site. I even appreciate CM's initiative for blanket ban on political discussion. Because with current political situation in Bangladesh it is impossible to maintain a proper environment without throwing mud.
I still feel that is the easy way out. As long as there is no gaalagaali going on or obscenities being thrown I think we should be ok, but I am not the one to judge that and it is the BC management's decision. On issues such as these there would be difference of opinion and thats where the point of debate creeps in which makes the discussions interesting. I personally did not see anything very wrong going on those threads.Yes there were banters going on but that is just my view on it and I know it might not match with many people here.

So are you guys(BC admins) banning political threads for good or just for the time being ?

Last edited by layperson; December 3, 2006 at 02:00 AM..
Old December 3, 2006, 08:31 AM
Cricket Legend

We have not banned political threads. But we are keeping an eye on the ones that have, in our eyes, gone bad.
Old December 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
Cricket Legend

I posted this in Spitfire's thread, but it goes with this thread as well. So, replicating verbatim -

Mods need to allow some level of hostility when it comes to Politics. Otherwise there will be no political discussions possible.

When it comes to Bangladesh, politics is vitriolic to the extent of actually being hazardous to one's physical well-being. Obviously that carries over to the web as well.

If a thread becomes tit-for-tat for just two persons and easily could have been done over Private Messages and does not present any value whatsoever to rest of the members, only then it makes sense to lock a thread.

It seems that a certain someone with Chinese disposition has again become trigger-happy, just this time with locking threads as opposed to enforcing strict signature rules last time ...

PS - In the US, not too many people discuss politics - I do not think it is because they are educated better, but rather because they are more self-absorbed and too busy trying to make money.

In Bangladesh too many people perticipate in the street violence because for them it is entertainment and employment at the same time. If everyone had a job to earn living, no one would go clash with the police or rival parties. But discussing politics is different from actually participating in the destructive violence. I think it is better to discuss politics than not. It represents awareness (or at least the will to be aware).

I think this forum is the perfect place to discuss politics, especially with the elections looming. If not discuss it now, then when? All the members are educated and should be able to conduct debate with no need for slap on the wrist for content. Personal attack is different story though.

Anyway, forgive the long winded post. And hopefully no chinese lightning strikes my forehead