facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2005, 12:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default have u read this

it's a little old but I think it's a real good article

Enamul Haque will play just his third one-day international today when Bangladesh meet Zimbabwe, yet his left-arm orthodox spinners have already captured the attention of those both inside and outside of his native Bangladesh.

Enamul almost single-handedly bowled Bangladesh to their maiden Test victory against Zimbabwe earlier in the month, and took twelve wickets in the drawn second Test. A Lohmannesque run of 6-45, 7-95 and 5-105 has many Bangladesh fans excited about their young spinning prospect, and not the least their high performance manager Richard McInnes.

I read with much interest an interview on Web site BanglaCricket with McInnes, who suggested that Enamul was a world-class spinner, and better than any other young spinning prospect in both Bangladesh and Australia - who, admittedly, are facing a spin crisis upon the imminent retirement of Shane Warne.

"I will make a very bold statement here; Enamul will be Bangladesh’s leading test wicket taker for many, many years," said McInnes.

"He will break and set records, that will stand for a long time. He is a class act and one of the best young spinners I have seen, far superior to any young spinners in Australia or in Bangladesh. He is a genuine spinner who actually gets batsmen out, rather than waiting for the batsmen to get himself out, a match winner. I could be wrong, but I am happy to make this prediction at this early stage."

It is indeed a bold statement from a man who has seen first-hand the trials and tribulations of the Bangladeshi team. While a few promising youngsters have fallen by the wayside, the first match and series win at Test level is seeing the rebirth of others. Mohammad Ashraful, who scored that wonderful century on debut, is starting to regain some touch, Alok Kapali is till trying to rise from the fall that followed his one-day hat-trick, while the likes of Talha Jubair have been injured and leapfrogged by other promising quicks such as Nazmul Hossain and Mashrafe Mortaza.

Indeed, the spinning tracks of Bangladesh encourage bowlers of that type from a young age; Manjural Islam Rana and Mohammad Rafique stepped up in the fourth one-day match against Zimbabwe to claim eight wickets between them, in the absence of Enamul, who was somewhat inexplicably, but in hindsight, understandably, omitted. Genuine fast bowlers in Bangladesh are a rare and prized commodity, but not many sides can field three full-time spinners and expect victory on a regular basis.

Which brings us back to Enamul, who should nail down one of those spinning spots and make it his for the next decade; only his lack of batting ability has seen Rana and Rafique continually edge him out. McInnes, however, is unreserved in praise not for Enamul's ability, but also his approach to cricket.

"When I first saw him, I was looking at so many players that it was hard to tell them all apart. We played England in the practice match and he bowled very well; and then he played in the Test matches and also bowled well. That was probably a major factor, that first Test. Not only the fact that he got four wickets for that match, but the way he went about it. His composure, body language and attitude to the game was outstanding, he looked like he had played 50 Tests, and not playing in his first. Cricket is such a mental game, that if you can ensure the batsmen never thinks he is on top, then as a bowler this is a great advantage. He only took four in that match, but the batsmen were never comfortable against him. He just looked like he was enjoying himself, similar to the way Adam Gilchrist plays, as if it is just a game that he loves playing. That is a great quality to have as it minimizes the pressure you put on yourself and allows you to fulfill your potential.

"Over time I came to appreciate the level of skill that he possesses. His ability to vary the pace, trajectory and speed of the delivery is fantastic, and with experience he will learn to use these variations better. He tends to still bowl too many arm balls, which is a running joke between us, but he is learning to read batsmen better. The reason he bowls so many “no balls” is that he varies the position he bowls from, not just across the crease, but also forward and back. This allows him to vary the length of the delivery with out changing anything else. This makes it hard for the batsmen to detect this change as the batsman is looking at the ball, and not at Enamul’s feet," McInnes added.

The great West Indian fast bowler Malcolm Marshall was the best user of the crease cricket has seen, and indeed many bowlers do not make use of it at all; it requires a great cricketing brain to be able to vary the lengths and angles of their delivery, and it appears if Enamul has been gifted with one.

When Bangladesh toured the late Marshall's West Indies, however, Enamul was consistently looked over and this came to a head when he was unable to get a game back home for his club in Dhaka.

" I was surprised he did not play more in the West Indies as I thought that he might have contributed over there. Rana kept getting the nod ahead of him, on his batting strength, which is understandable, as we needed to reinforce that element of our game. Enamul is still young and the selectors may have wanted to protect him against India. Although I thought he bowled well against New Zealand beating Fleming a few times in flight and with spin. However, I am not a national selector so I cannot comment on the reasons for him not playing against India, but would imagine it was to protect him from some very good players of spin. But it still might have been a great learning experience for him.

"Obviously, he was bitterly disappointed to miss out. And we had a few long chats about that and also the fact that he could not get a game for his club team in Dhaka either, amazing as that sounds. I think he probably has earned his spot now and just needs to go on and cement his spot in the one-day team, which I think he is good enough to do," said McInnes.

There is no doubting the foresight of McInnes, who predicted Enamul's six wickets in the second innings of that victorious first Test against Zimbabwe after his young charge had gone wicketless in the first dig.

Should he become Bangladesh's greatest wicket-taker, there is nothing to suggest that he won't finish his career among the likes of Muthiah Muralidaran and Shane Warne, given that he has seemingly cemented a spot at a much earlier age.

For now, however, it's working on the off-break, bowling less arm-balls and maybe trying to send down a nice-looking doosra or two.

heres the link copy it to your browser it works

http://www.cricket-online.org/news.php?sid=4485

Edited on, February 22, 2005, 5:24 AM GMT, by cricman.

Edited on, February 22, 2005, 5:32 AM GMT, by cricman.

Old February 22, 2005, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Source please! Do not post articles without attribution.

In any event, this is the article where they pilfered word for word our interview with BC with no acknowledgement whatsoever.
Old February 22, 2005, 12:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

To add to Zunaid bhai - hopefully we will soon have a copyright notice on this website that will ensure an end to such shameless pilfering. Ohey rajputro, kichu bolo
Old February 22, 2005, 12:43 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Here's the original piece from BC (short for banglacricket.com):

“Talent, Enamul & the promise of the U19s” - the McInnes interview

By G.M. Bashar

http://banglacricket.com/html/articl...=2005&item=299