facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2015, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes
Default Soumya Sarkar: The Future Sensation Is Here

Yes im going to cop a lot of stick for a thread like this. But first hear me out because i barely open many threads. People who know me on the forum for long enough know im not the type of guy to prematurely say things like this about any new player coming into the team. But i think its different this time round. I can just feel it in my veins. And ill tell you why.

First time i watched Soumya bat was wen i watched the Ban v Zim highlights where he made 20 odd. And i think true love hit me. His elegant style and his timing really stood out and it was something different. It just gave me instant goosebumps. Something i haven't felt or seen from a BD batsmen for a quite a while. Not only that but he looked confident and in control and for a debut batsmen is almost unheard of.

But that wasn't the end of him for me. Out of all the BD players the bd player i ever met face to face was in fact Soumya! Not only that but he is also the only bd player ive had a proper conversation with. I feel its a sign for me like his humble character really touched me and so from that point on my admiration for him grew tenfold.

And now to his actual batting. Yes he was making starts and looked eye catching. But people bring up the whole he might be a SN, JS, Omi and they use the example that someone like Junaid would also make an eye catching 20 and get out. Which is fair enough but personally i feel Soumya will definitely not turn out to be a player like the SN, Junaid etc. And ill tell you why.

Firstly its because of his technique why i think this. Yeah sure Omi and Junaid had decent techniques but it was nothing as elegant and graceful as Soumya's. Heck its not even comparable. The way Soumya times the ball beautifully when he punches the ball down the ground is the type of shot you see from Ganguly's book of shots. The beauty of it is that it looks like he isn't even trying, its just something so natural. It's all class.

Junaid and Omi might have had decent techniques but they had glaring technical issues. Soumya does not. When i watched JS, Omi bat it never really struck a chord for me. Junaid had too much of a high backlift and would lose his balance at the crease. Jahurul is too much of a bottom handed player who tries overhitting every ball. So in my opinion its offensive to compare Soumya's batting style to the jodu modus we have had coming thru at the top order for us.

And furthermore the confidence Soumya shows is unparallel. He didn't crap his pants being a youngster facing Jimmy Anderson, Borad, Boult etc. for the first time. He didn't go into a shell and stop scoring. He saw it as an opportunity and took on the opportunity. Have u seen this kind of attitude from any of the batsmen we had coming thru over the years? Simple answer is no. All the jodu modu batsmen would have looked clueless or dug themselves into a hole.

Furthermore the way he handled the NZ bowlers today with the kind of swing that was happening, considering its the first time he has played in those types of conditions, without having much experience in those conditions, shows to me he is definitely a gem of a player. That kind of attitude is almost Tendulkaresque. He showed to us he can bat in all conditions and can adjust with ease.

Overall what im trying to say is that this guy has it all. The type of player Bangladesh desperately needed. He might happen to struggle at times but he is definitely worth having in the team for years to come because i know without a doubt he will go places. He will definitely give back to Bangladesh Cricket. He could possibly be the start of a new breed of Bangladeshi batsmen coming thru the ranks. He is the future. And he is already here.

Old March 13, 2015, 06:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I will credit half of our good showing in this world cup to Shabbir, Shoumya and Taskin. These young players have been a real find for us. Shoumya is world class, a note to BCB, if this kid fails, PERSEVERE. He has been in my fantastic team in each of the bd matches, never disappointed. And he is a pretty handy bowler, bowls stump to stump. And takes all the catches. You described his batting already, if he wasn't there today in the top we probably were looking at a score below 200.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Couldn't agree more BP. It's quite funny actually that Soumya did not have any kind of hype that Anamul had. And yet he just came, saw and conquer out of nowhere. Dare I say,he is THE MOST eye pleasing batsman in BD cricket history. Even more so than Ashrafix and will surely average a lot more than Ashrafix ever did.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Couldn't agree more BP. It's quite funny actually that Soumya did not have any kind of hype that Anamul had. And yet he just came, saw and conquer out of nowhere. Dare I say,he is THE MOST eye pleasing batsman in BD cricket history. Even more so than Ashrafix and will surely average a lot more than Ashrafix ever did.
exactly right! Anamul so crazy hyped but there would talks about Soumya but he was still relatively unknown. Haturi defs knows talented batsmen wen he sees one.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Love him, I'm pretty sure Hathuri is also looking into finding talented potentials to fill our opener spots. Tamim's days are numbered, and his uncle won't be able to do s*** about it.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Brilliant player. Improving each game. What he has been able to do is to avoid a disaster after openers failing cheaply. His 20.30 and todays 50 is why we are scoring 250+. Great find. Really impressed by his bowling as well. I see a future captain. Too early but think about it 3/4 yrs down the road. U never know.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Loved the way how he attacked Boult and Southee even after witnessing that demonic bowling spell, he gave no s**** about them
Old March 13, 2015, 07:40 AM
Cricket Legend

A genuinely exciting prospect. Hope he's the real deal. Has looked really good in all of the five games played so far. Decent pace bowler too!
Old March 13, 2015, 07:42 AM
Cricket Legend

^ Thats the best part of Sarkar.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

What a refreshing change from Jee-ah-ur-rohmaan and Phorraad Rejah
Old March 13, 2015, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

JS, OMI dont compare but a young mofees does having said that I really hope he is the real deal, terrific on the eye, simple solid technique and most importantly what separates him from the other failures is that he isn't overwhelmed by the match situation. Every time he came in with us in a sticky position and although he scored 20s he looked so calm and controlled.
Old March 13, 2015, 07:55 AM
Cricket Legend

And ow ye he balls rather accurately at 130k.
Old March 13, 2015, 08:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

A sensational talent just like Sabbir and Taskin. The future of Bangladesh cricket looks bright.
Hope Sarkar gets a BIG one against the "BIG" modol. He needs to convert them big. What an elegant and graceful bat this Sarkar is! Ma Shaa Allah!
Old March 13, 2015, 09:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Yes I also believed in him from the first time I saw him in the national team. Over short period of time he is playing better and better. Some of the strokes are so elegant and effort free, its a delight to watch him play.

When the pressure is on, instead of further digging down in the hole, he counter punches and successfully divert the pressure in the opposite direction.

In top of his batting, he already proved that he is an excellent fielder. He is underused at this point to showcase his bowling, so there is all indication he can be a very effective ODI bowler, the 3rd or the 4th seamer in the team.

What a breath of fresh air.
Old March 13, 2015, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Great found, i liked him from bd zimb series. His tecnique caught my eyes like others. Even i told one of my friend that this guy will be one to watch out in this world cup. I hope he shines more and more and brings stabilisation in our team.
Old March 13, 2015, 09:57 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

As I said, he can be 10x better than Tamim the old. His got everything in him if he stays fit and focus. Only problem is that he fails to convert his starts into biggie more often than not. Thus, Bijoy was rated highly as he was outscoring everyone in U19/Academy and A team. But, SS can overcome his problem with guidance

BTW HE SHOULD OPEN. We pushed a number 3/4 batsman to open (Bijoy), and Putting a genuine opener at 3 . There is no point giving Kayes another go. Since last wc, Kayes avg ~15 with SR of ~60 in ODI's
Old March 13, 2015, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

yes he is fun to watch and fearless. in future ODI team

Liton
Anamul/tamim/shamsur/Shahriar nafis
Soumya (so far he batted here best)
mahmudullah
mushfiq
shakib
sabbir
nasir
mashrafi
subel
taskin

extra
naeem (middle order allrounder)
sohag gazi (spin pitch)
najmul (if he gets back form)
mustafizur (for future)
Old March 13, 2015, 10:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

As long as he doesn't open his mouth I am all fine. I like all these new entries. Mominul, SS, Sabbir they talk with the bat.

Unlike his previous generations.

So the crawl, walk, jog, run, sprint is on display.

Crawl: Teens Average. Can we play 50 overs?

Walk: 20s Average. We discussed how many 50s they got against Top 8. Some of you remember, right? theBest, Noc, Miraz, others??? Stats, HHS.

Jog: 30s Averages. We can win on our day!!! Arrive of the minnow bashers.

Run: 40s Averages are happening. Win some and lose some.

Sprint: when we will have 50s Average. Kick a$$!! I am waiting for this.

We are witnessing the transformation from one stage to another.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; March 13, 2015 at 11:08 AM..
Old March 13, 2015, 10:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Has to work on his back foot technique. He is not comfortable against short balls. Once he overcomes that he will be the number 3 we have been looking for or may also open.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Oh the power of raw talent polished by some experience. More often than not, our talented players were drafted directly into the national team just because they looked too talented to be left alone and were needed due to the void that existed. But talent without the right set of skills is just too raw to be impactful and skillset that is not honed will result in a waste of that talent. Soumya seemed to have had the good fortune of not being picked too early in his career and spent a good deal of time in the domestic circuit scoring a hefty amount of runs. It did him and Bangladesh a world of good. Future, for him, definitely seems bright.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
Has to work on his back foot technique. He is not comfortable against short balls. Once he overcomes that he will be the number 3 we have been looking for or may also open.
Definitely a weakness that plagued Zunaid's career.
Soumya needs to over come this asap otherwise he will be found wanting once oppositions start to analyze him. His talent shows, but what will make him good to great is his willingness to get rid of his weaknesses by working hard.
Old March 13, 2015, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Definitely a weakness that plagued Zunaid's career.
Soumya needs to over come this asap otherwise he will be found wanting once oppositions start to analyze him. His talent shows, but what will make him good to great is his willingness to get rid of his weaknesses by working hard.
Old March 13, 2015, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Given that our middle order is STRICTLY world class, Soumya needs to open the innings. That gives us 3 talented players for the opening slot- anamul soumya and tamim, will surely put pressure on the other two to perform.
Old March 13, 2015, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
As I said, he can be 10x better than Tamim the old. His got everything in him if he stays fit and focus. Only problem is that he fails to convert his starts into biggie more often than not. Thus, Bijoy was rated highly as he was outscoring everyone in U19/Academy and A team. But, SS can overcome his problem with guidance

BTW HE SHOULD OPEN. We pushed a number 3/4 batsman to open (Bijoy), and Putting a genuine opener at 3 . There is no point giving Kayes another go. Since last wc, Kayes avg ~15 with SR of ~60 in ODI's
Thats what I dont understand either, Anamul, doesn't look like an opener, can only score when ball slightly old, but he's still getting a bit underrated now, he was a bit hyped at the start, but now people talking like he's some bum, he averages mid 30's SR over 70, he's got simple problems with footwork and not taking enough singles, but he converts his 50's well, so I think if he keeps his arrogance in check, he should be a good player. We can play with Tamim, Sarkar, Bijoy, Mahmadullah, Rahim, Shak, Shabbir, Nasir - when team fully fit, and thats a solid batting line up

Old March 13, 2015, 01:37 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Hope the kid keeps his feet on the ground and not let fame and recognition get to him. Nasir almost lost it that way and had to claw his way back. I hope this guy will continue to work hard remain fit, avoid selfies and keep up the good performance