facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 15, 2007, 04:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Ash looks very handsome in tha picture..

Old August 15, 2007, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Mona Lisa looks nice in dat pic!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 15, 2007, 06:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

kothar pani kothae gorae...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 15, 2007, 08:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Once again, there's no absolute rule of thumb that says "you cannot share a bed with anyone after ____ age". Or is there something religious about itwhich I'm not aware of? Be it male or female, a sibling is a sibling. I know some people find it difficult to accept.
Yes, it's weird in today's context.

Not many generations ago, ballobibaho and bohubibaho were the norm. As for Islam, I am sure those people were hardcore muslims as well, their dil must have been pretty saaf.
Old August 15, 2007, 08:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Yes, it's weird in today's context.
Depends on how you take it. It's subjective.

Quote:
Not many generations ago, ballobibaho and bohubibaho were the norm. As for Islam, I am sure those people were hardcore muslims as well, their dil must have been pretty saaf.
That's completely cultural. I have little knowledge about Islam's take on ballo bibaho, but I do know Islam's take on who you CANNOT get married to. So the ones who practice this religion will consider this as a rule of thumb.
Old August 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
That's completely cultural.
Not really. Child marriage and polygamy were quite popular before the twentieth century in about everywhere in the world, regardless of society and culture. We call those societies "backward" now.

Quote:
I have little knowledge about Islam's take on ballo bibaho, but I do know Islam's take on who you CANNOT get married to. So the ones who practice this religion will consider this as a rule of thumb.
Yes, religion, in the past and even at present, has been used as an "objective" tool to rationalize a lot of things that may seem "subjectively" odd. For example, the continued preponderance of cousin marriages (and other "weird" inter-family romantic relationships and practices) among Chatgaiyas is most probably a cultural, or more appropriately, a subcultural thing, not a religious thing. In America, the whites who intermarry within their families are generally deemed as "white trash". A similar kind of stigmatization hasn't really caught on in Bangladesh I guess.
Old August 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
kothar pani kothae gorae...
As usual ... from

to

Old August 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Old August 15, 2007, 11:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
As usual ... from
-IMG-
to
-IMG-
But before that.....

to

Old August 15, 2007, 11:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Not really. Child marriage and polygamy were quite popular before the twentieth century in about everywhere in the world, regardless of society and culture. We call those societies "backward" now.
Islamic ruling on age for marriage:
Quote:
...(age) is not mentioned by numbers in the Quran, but God establishes big clear standards that indicate that marriage can happen when maturity was achieved. As we all know maturity varies from one continent to another, from the hot countries to the cold ones, from one sex to another, and from one civilization to another. God knows that and he deliberately and out of His mercy, did not put an age rule for us. He left it for every community to decide while following the general rules of maturity supplied in the Quran.
Source: http://www.submission.org/women/Aisha.html

Quote:
Yes, religion, in the past and even at present, has been used as an "objective" tool to rationalize a lot of things that may seem "subjectively" odd. For example, the continued preponderance of cousin marriages (and other "weird" inter-family romantic relationships and practices) among Chatgaiyas is most probably a cultural, or more appropriately, a subcultural thing, not a religious thing. In America, the whites who intermarry within their families are generally deemed as "white trash". A similar kind of stigmatization hasn't really caught on in Bangladesh I guess.
I know many people who have married their cousins. They are from various backgrounds, bangladeshis and non-bangladeshis. I just believe this varies from people to people.
Old August 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
Islamic ruling on age for marriage:
Source: http://www.submission.org/women/Aisha.html
Thanks, although I am not sure what made you post that. I didn't ask for the "Islamic ruling". Nor do I think that website represents the "Islamic ruling".

Quote:
I know many people who have married their cousins. They are from various backgrounds, bangladeshis and non-bangladeshis.
Yes, it's not uncommon. But I believe it's getting more or more uncommon in modern societies.

Quote:
I just believe this varies from people to people.
Yes, that part is obvious, isn't it? Societies evolve in interesting ways.
Old August 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

You are welcome. Well, I just wanted to point out that Islam discouraged child marriage regardless of what people did in the past.

That site was particularly explaining this age issue from Quran's perspective. I am not sure what would be more "Islamic ruling" than Quran itself.
Old August 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

haire aftab.. biya koira dekhi paitasena... keno je cousin ke biya korli...

kothai shobai odher jonne dowa korbe.. ta na.. but cousin marriage niya arguments shuru korse...
Old August 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
You are welcome. Well, I just wanted to point out that Islam discouraged child marriage regardless of what people did in the past.
Sure.

Quote:
That site was particularly explaining this age issue from Quran's perspective. I am not sure what would be more "Islamic ruling" than Quran itself.
I didn't go to the site, but the part you quoted and put in bold was not from the Quran, but some guy's interpretation. Then again, religious scriptures are often vague enough to be interpreted in many ways to fit one's current preferences. I am sure when ballobibaho and bohubibaho were rampant in the middle ages, there were plenty of mollahs there to interpret the Quran in a way to support it.
Old August 15, 2007, 04:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
haire aftab.. biya koira dekhi paitasena... keno je cousin ke biya korli...

kothai shobai odher jonne dowa korbe.. ta na.. but cousin marriage niya arguments shuru korse...
I wish the couple a happy marital life.

Now the next question is will Aftab suffer a loss of form after marriage like Shahriar Nafees did?
Old August 15, 2007, 05:55 PM

As mod: I brought this thread to FC. imo the discussion has detracted from anything remotely connected to cricket. Initially it was about a cricketer getting married. There's plenty of precedence in these forums where topics that werent about cricket and instead their personal lives are in FC.
Old August 15, 2007, 09:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Saudis do it all the time. But in a country of 150 million people (say 75 millions females out of that), of all people you go for your cousin? I hope the next Aftab Jr. does not become a Voldemort. Harry Potter fans here will know what I mean.

Last edited by Alien; August 15, 2007 at 09:33 PM..
Old August 15, 2007, 09:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I was just trying to be a gentleman

But I guess dhora kheye felsi
Dude, why is it that every time I look at your name (before I look at your post) I get the feeling that you are banned? Seconds later I realise that it's an avatar.
Old August 15, 2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
..... those days of bandana and mustani is over now.... the picture clearly demonstrate who is the real boss now.
...and will remain rest of Aftab's life!!!
Old August 16, 2007, 12:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

To end all debate, go through it

Quote:
Allowed categories for marriage:

(a) [5:5] Today, all good food is made lawful for you. The food of the people of the scripture is lawful for you. Also, you may marry the chaste women among the believers, as well as the chaste women among the followers of previous scripture, provided you pay them their due dowries. You shall maintain chastity, not committing adultery, nor taking secret lovers. Anyone who rejects faith, all his work will be in vain, and in the Hereafter he will be with the losers.

(b) [33:50] O prophet, we made lawful for you your wives to whom you have paid their due dowry, or what you already have, as granted to you by GOD. Also lawful for you in marriage are the daughters of your father's brothers, the daughters of your father's sisters, the daughters of your mother's brothers, the daughters of your mother's sisters, who have emigrated with you. Also, if a believing woman gave herself to the prophet - by forfeiting the dowry - the prophet may marry her without a dowry, if he so wishes. However, her forfeiting of the dowry applies only to the prophet, and not to the other believers. We have already decreed their rights in regard to their spouses or what they already have. This is to spare you any embarrassment. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful (See also 33:51-52).

(c) [4:25] Those among you who cannot afford to marry free believing women, may marry believing slave women. GOD knows best about your belief, and you are equal to one another, as far as belief is concerned. You shall obtain permission from their guardians before you marry them, and pay them their due dowry equitably. They shall maintain moral behavior, by not committing adultery, or having secret lovers. Once they are freed through marriage, if they commit adultery, their punishment shall be half of that for the free women. Marrying a slave shall be a last resort for those unable to wait. To be patient is better for you. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

(d) [33:37] Recall that you said to the one who was blessed by GOD, and blessed by you, "Keep your wife and reverence GOD," and you hid inside yourself what GOD wished to proclaim. Thus, you feared the people, when you were supposed to fear only GOD. When Zeid was completely through with his wife, we had you marry her, in order to establish the precedent that a man may marry the divorced wife of his adopted son. GOD's commands shall be done.

(e) (In Case of War) [60:10] O you who believe, when believing women (abandon the enemy and) ask for asylum with you, you shall test them. GOD is fully aware of their belief. Once you establish that they are believers, you shall not return them to the disbelievers. They are not lawful to remain married to them, nor shall the disbelievers be allowed to marry them. Give back the dowries that the disbelievers have paid. You commit no error by marrying them, so long as you pay them their due dowries. Do not keep disbelieving wives (if they wish to join the enemy). You may ask them for the dowry you had paid, and they may ask for what they paid. This is GOD's rule; He rules among you. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise. (See also 60:11-12).

Forbidden categories for marriage:

(a) ( Do Not Marry Idol Worshipers) [2:221] Do not marry idolatresses unless they believe; a believing woman is better than an idolatress, even if you like her. Nor shall you give your daughters in marriage to idolatrous men, unless they believe. A believing man is better than an idolater, even if you like him. These invite to Hell, while GOD invites to Paradise and forgiveness, as He wills. He clarifies His revelations for the people, that they may take heed.

(b) (Respect for the Father) [4:22] Do not marry the women who were previously married to your fathers - existing marriages are exempted and shall not be broken - for it is a gross offense, and an abominable act.

(c) (Incest Forbidden) [4:23] Prohibited for you (in marriage) are your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, the sisters of your fathers, the sisters of your mothers, the daughters of your brother, the daughters of your sister, your nursing mothers, the girls who nursed from the same woman as you, the mothers of your wives, the daughters of your wives with whom you have consummated the marriage - if the marriage has not been consummated, you may marry the daughter. Also prohibited for you are the women who were married to your genetic sons. Also, you shall not be married to two sisters at the same time - but do not break up existing marriages. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

(d) [4:24] Also prohibited are the women who are already married, unless they flee their disbelieving husbands who are at war with you. These are GOD's commandments to you. All other categories are permitted for you in marriage, so long as you pay them their due dowries. You shall maintain your morality, by not committing adultery. Thus, whoever you like among them, you shall pay them the dowry decreed for them. You commit no error by mutually agreeing to any adjustments to the dowry. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise.

(e) [24:3] The adulterer will end up marrying an adulteress or an idol worshiper, and the adulteress will end up marrying an adulterer or an idol worshiper. This is prohibited for the believers.

(f) [33:52] Beyond the categories described to you, you are enjoined from marrying any other women, nor can you substitute a new wife (from the prohibited categories), no matter how much you admire their beauty. You must be content with those already made lawful to you. GOD is watchful over all things. (See also 33:50-53).
To know more click
Old August 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh please.
Old August 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

An article on AFTAB's marriage. This article might answer the questions that many fans want to know. He & his wife saying marriage wont affect Aftab's performance and he might do better than before.

Read Here (in Bangla)
Old August 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

get married when you are still in national 11 (got demand).
Old August 18, 2007, 04:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Wow! So much has taken place during my short absence from BC

Anyway, if we forget the prospect for genetic catastrophy, this is mostly a cultaral thing. One analogy would be how in western society it is almost a crime to burp in public while farting is fairly accepted (or embraced ). On the other hand, burping, in our society, traditionally is accepted as an approval towards the quality of cooking and public farting is considered as a heinous crime.

Another analogy would be the concept of using toilet paper (inevitable skid marks) Vs. use of water (clean undies).

So, let Aftab be happy. And let our pretentious concerns dissipate as they should. Who are we to judge anyone?
Old August 18, 2007, 04:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
An article on AFTAB's marriage. This article might answer the questions that many fans want to know. He & his wife saying marriage wont affect Aftab's performance and he might do better than before.

Read Here (in Bangla)