facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Default You know you're Bangladeshi when...

-you are ecstatic when BD advances to super 8 in cricket WC 07 (after beating Indiaa)
- your only explanation for knowing another Bangladeshi is "...because they're Bangladeshi"
-you've played ludu even it's the most pointless, boring board game in history
- almost every weekend is booked with "dawats" (we're social people)
-you can drop in anyones house uninvited at any time and stay as long as you want, despite many hints thrown at you to leave
- you've abbreviated Bangladesh as BD when typing
- traveling to Jackson Heights with an enormous cooler is a regular family affair
-your parents are willing to hide shutki maach in the pits of a suitcase in a pathetic attempt to cheat the custom officers at the airport.
-your siblings' names rhyme
-you honestly do not believe BD will get anywhere but you still express hope
- parties are a lot like 24k gold and shari (not sari!) showcases
- mom forces you to rub mustard oil if you're sick
- mom nags you to put coconut oil in your hair if it looks dry
- you've heard people say "coming" (ashi) when they leave
- you use three different words for "you" --- tui, tumi, apni
- force feeding, despite the gastronomical effects, is a custom
- any good news means refrigerator will be filled with sweets from friends and neighbors
-you or your parents buy something and you parents say "I can buy it for less than half price in Bangladesh"
- your parents have a picture of Tagore hung on the wall
- you buy clothes to wear only once on Eid (too precious to wear again)
- you and/or your parents love the Uttam/Suchitra duo
- your house has this ever-present cooking smell that will not leave regardless of what you do
- you either consider medicine or engineering in freshmen year (law and others are taboo)
- you've sat and made sweets with mom
- you have seen your dad become a kid again when playing karam
- your sink is usually occupied with chopped raw meat
- you have parents or uncles/aunts who will compete for fish eggs, cow brains, goat livers or that gooey stuff in the bone (nola)
- your mom or aunt loves to gossip and chew on bones for hours on end
- your family will shop at a Halal store simply because a Bangladeshi owns it
- your family owns Tagore's "geetobitan" or "golpoguchho"
- the name "Dr. Yunus" will not leave the lips of your friends for years to come (we are proud people)
- hearing Bangladesh being confused with India or Pakistan is a blow to your pride
- you believe Japan stole our idea for the flag
- you have gone to or heard of those "match making" conventions
- drinking tea is second after breathing (and none of that herb water)
- you have a lifetime supply of chanachur
- dad will start the ignition early during the winter so mom will be warm and toasty (we practice intense chivalry)
- mom will send her cooking to your dorm
-mom thinks vicks/vaporub is the cure to anything
-You use your forehead, eyeballs and eyebrows to point something out
-- You mom owns the cook book by “Oddhapika Siddika Kobir” and maybe you too if you live on your own...
- You or your parents will see a movie (ANY movie) just b/c it has a few bangle words, be it from Kolkata.
- at one point in life have owned a Bata shoe or sandal.
- Think Bata is a Bangladeshi company
- You speak Banglish if you have lived any more than two years anywhere outside of Bangladesh
-You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house
- you consider any other Bangladeshi as family

Feel free to add!
Old August 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

you know they are bangladeshi when the kids are always noisy, fighting and scare away the air hostesses in flights back to dhaka
Old August 20, 2007, 05:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
you know they are bangladeshi when the kids are always noisy, fighting and scare away the air hostesses in flights back to dhaka
no i never did that,i think most of the kids in bd are naughty but not as naughty as the saudi kids man are they naughty or what but i am not a kid who scares away air hostresses in flight.
Old August 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
no i never did that,i think most of the kids in bd are naughty but not as naughty as the saudi kids man are they naughty or what but i am not a kid who scares away air hostresses in flight.
you come across as a more mature child so i dare say you'd scare off the hostesses! i had also guessed your disdain for the arab kids!
Old August 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Rahim TamimSakib

i kept bothering the airhostresses by pressing help button over and over

Quote:
Old August 20, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brishti
i kept bothering the airhostresses by pressing help button over and over
u can't really do that..when u ride..biman..cuz..they messed up the buttons on purposee..n speaking of airplaness..anyone knw anything abt this new sylheti airline...sumone told me..a bunch of rich sylheti's frm England..r opening up a airline called..Air Sylhet..
Old August 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
u can't really do that..when u ride..biman..cuz..they messed up the buttons on purposee..n speaking of airplaness..anyone knw anything abt this new sylheti airline...sumone told me..a bunch of rich sylheti's frm England..r opening up a airline called..Air Sylhet..
yeah and they will have two restrooms after every row... one for oju and one for you know what...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 21, 2007, 05:09 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiq,Tamim, Mashrafee

u know u're bangladeshi..when ure mom yells at u for staying on the computer too long
Old August 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Rahim TamimSakib

yeah u can i was riding aircanada plane

Quote:
Old August 20, 2007, 09:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Dang! According to this, im not Bangladeshi...

Quote:
You live in Saudi Arabia? Where? I spent half my life in Riyadh....NOT a good experience.
Old August 22, 2007, 06:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
Dang! According to this, im not Bangladeshi...

You live in Saudi Arabia? Where? I spent half my life in Riyadh....NOT a good experience.
i live in dammam
Old August 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

haha well compiled bangladesh_sy, very common bangladeshi traits, although I feel we share a lot of these with our sub-continental neighbours.....

Last edited by ialbd; August 19, 2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old August 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

-Jaukhon kotipoy batsmeder boldami dekhe jutapeta korte ichchha kaure.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM..
Old August 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
-Jaukhon kotipoy batsmeder boldami dekhe jutapeta korte ichha kaure.
which batsmen are you referring to sir?!?
Old August 19, 2007, 10:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
which batsmen are you referring to sir?!?
Usually my favorite ones, usually with all the talent in the world ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

I know I am a Bangladeshi when I starve for Rice and Hilsa fish

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8/8d/Ilish.JPG
Old August 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Good one bangladesh_sy
Old August 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

lmao!! awesome!!

hearing Bangladesh being confused with India or Pakistan is a blow to your pride

well duurrr! lmao
Old August 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumz_01
lmao!! awesome!!

hearing Bangladesh being confused with India or Pakistan is a blow to your pride

well duurrr! lmao
U can definitely say dat again I hate it wen ppl say are u indian or pakistani, its like there are ppl from Bangladesh as well u know but now dey shud know since WC 2007
Old August 19, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cricket Sage

i didn't come up with thiss..actually..i copied n pasted frm facebook...there r so many groups in facebook...like that...you knw you'r frm bangladesh..when..you knw your frm india..when..maybe we can hav onee..like..you knw you r a BC member..when..
Old August 19, 2007, 08:46 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
-you are ecstatic when BD advances to super 8 in cricket WC 07 (after beating Indiaa) -------- and immediately start making predictions of going to semi-final
- your only explanation for knowing another Bangladeshi is "...because they're Bangladeshi" ---------- or because they are talking in Bangla in the train/bus and find yourself curious to listen to their conversation
-you've played ludu even it's the most pointless, boring board game in history ---------- or worse, you play bagaduly (bagatelle)
- almost every weekend is booked with "dawats" (we're social people) ------------ and weekdays you recover from diarrhea
-you can drop in anyones house uninvited at any time and stay as long as you want, despite many hints thrown at you to leave ------------- so you/they get the darowan to switch off the main power to fake a loadshedding
- you've abbreviated Bangladesh as BD when typing ----------- described Bangladesh is next to India to tell someone where it is
-your parents are willing to hide shutki maach in the pits of a suitcase in a pathetic attempt to cheat the custom officers at the airport. ------------ or find other schemes, like going to the parking lot, taking it out, get your baggage checked and after put the food back in your hand luggage
-your siblings' names rhyme -------- your parents give you and your siblings matching surnames different than their own
- mom forces you to rub mustard oil if you're sick ----------- and feed you jau bhat
- mom nags you to put coconut oil in your hair if it looks dry -------------- your dad tells you to get a haircut
- you've heard people say "coming" (ashi) when they leave ------------- and if you say 'jai', they always correct you - "jai na, bolo ashi"
- you use three different words for "you" --- tui, tumi, apni ------------------ you mix them up a lot when you're talking to someone around your age you just met
- force feeding, despite the gastronomical effects, is a custom ------------------ your dad forces you to eat that boiled/poached egg in breakfast, or the fish skin, even though it's gonna make you puke or give you a stomach ache
- any good news means refrigerator will be filled with sweets from friends and neighbors ---------------- when you buy sweets, you always buy the ones you'd like to eat, because that's what's going to be served when you take it to someone's house
-you or your parents buy something and you parents say "I can buy it for less than half price in Bangladesh" --------------- or buy it and then then notice the tag says 'Made in Bangladesh'
- you buy clothes to wear only once on Eid (too precious to wear again) -------------- or you can't wear them anyway because by the end of the day you will have accumulated enough curry stains on it that just won't come off with washing
- you and/or your parents love the Uttam/Suchitra duo ------------- your dad loves folk music, and you mom loves ghazal
- your house has this ever-present cooking smell that will not leave regardless of what you do ------------ because you have not heard of air freshener or exhaust fans
- you either consider medicine or engineering in freshmen year (law and others are taboo) ------------- that's what your parents have studied and want you to study
- you've sat and made sweets with mom -------------- you're also a willing test subject for "quality control"
- you have seen your dad become a kid again when playing karam ------------- or watching cricket
- your sink is usually occupied with chopped raw meat --------------- and fish
- your mom or aunt loves to gossip and chew on bones for hours on end ------------ and sisters.. it's usually the female
- your family will shop at a Halal store simply because a Bangladeshi owns it ------------- and complaint that's all the Ilish maachh is going abroad and how expensive it is back in Bangladesh
- your family owns Tagore's "geetobitan" or "golpoguchho" ------------ and an audio tape/CD of Rabindra Sangeet in the car that they must listen to on their journeys
- the name "Dr. Yunus" will not leave the lips of your friends for years to come (we are proud people) -------------- like the odd victory against other cricket nations, that you or your friends recorded and won't stop watching
- hearing Bangladesh being confused with India or Pakistan is a blow to your pride ----------- when someones makes that mistake, you always clarify it to them, or give them a big lecture
- you have gone to or heard of those "match making" conventions ----------- someone in your family is a ghotok, or got married through a ghotok, will boast about their 'ghotkali' track record and try to find just about everyone a life partner.
- drinking tea is second after breathing (and none of that herb water) ----------- with bela biscuit or mr. cookie
- you have a lifetime supply of chanachur ------------ and muri
- mom will send her cooking to your dorm ---------------- those living abroad, mom will always ask you what you wanna eat, no matter how impossible it might be to get it to you
-- You mom owns the cook book by “Oddhapika Siddika Kobir” and maybe you too if you live on your own... ------------- while your mom cooks a variety of dishes, you're too lazy and end up cooking your run-of-the-mill curry
- You or your parents will see a movie (ANY movie) just b/c it has a few bangle words, be it from Kolkata. -------------- or compromise if it has Amitabh in it
- You speak Banglish if you have lived any more than two years anywhere outside of Bangladesh -------------- or just because you went to an English medium school in Bangladesh
-You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house ------------ you stereotype someone for being from a particular district in Bangladesh, if they leave early or straight after lunch/dinner
- you consider any other Bangladeshi as family -------------- you always find a connection that the person is somehow your distant relative

Feel free to add!
Added.

I left a few out coz I couldn't think of anything.

Last edited by Ahmed_B; August 20, 2007 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Mod.content: Removed bold-red
Old August 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cricket Legend

"-you are ecstatic when BD advances to super 8 in cricket WC 07 (after beating Indiaa)"

Not true - Many Pakistanis were ecstasic too, if for different reason. The sheer joy of India being knocked out and humbled by BD was a balm on the hurting self-esteen from a similar exit.

And many traits listed above are common to people from Sub-Continent.
Old August 20, 2007, 11:31 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

- When gals cannot talk without 'who did what that should not have been done and who did not do what that should have been done'
- If your Mom thinks none of her kids eat enough (regardless the extra 20 pounds)
- Your Mom thinks she is the best cook of the world and their kids cannot eat stomach full if it was cooked by someone else (maternal aunts excluded)
Old August 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

i see a lot of you putting the 'bangalihood' thing on your parents or on their actions.....

why, dont you have anything that distinctly makes you a Bangladeshi......?
Old August 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Back in 98, I have seen this one (looks like few has been added recently on BD), that version was for all desi instead of Bangladeshi.

I am amazed that this one survived a decade on the net.