facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 30, 2007, 07:11 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bangladesh Vs Zimbabwe ODI series : It's time to widen the gap

As part of their world cup preparation Bangladesh is touring Zimbabwe for the second time in eight months. Last trip was a disaster, in which Bangladesh, highly tipped as favourite lost the series 3-2. After that series, Bangladesh met Zimbabwe six times and won all six matches comfortably. It is widely anticipated that Bangladesh has improved significantly as a team and is well ahead of current Zimbabwe. Bangladesh's failuer in the last away series raised some eyebrow. Now its the time to show that the previous outing was a one off incident and Bangladesh cricket stands well ahead of Zimbabwe.

In the current tour Bangladesh will be playing four ODI's in a span of 11 days. The ODI's are scheduled on on February 4, 6, 9 and 10. The team will fly for Harare on January 31, 2006.

Bangladeshi slectors have opted for experience for the first time in recent times. Mohammad Sharif is back in the squad after five long years and another experienced pace bowler Tapash Baisya is also back after 25 ODI's. Veteran wicket keeper Khaled Mashud misses the tour for injury which he sustained in current Dhaka Premier League. Tushar Imran again got a seat in the musical chair at the expense of young Nadif Chowdhury. In search for a suitable opening partner of Shahriar Nafees, selectors awarded a wild card entry to explosive batsman, Tamim Iqbal. He is a clean hitter of cricket ball and performed consistently in the domestic circuit before getting national call. The most notable absentee is young pace man Syed Rasel wh0 proved his effectiveness whenever he got opportunity.

Squad for the Zimbabwe tour

Habibul Bashar (Captain), Shahriar Nafees (Vice-captain), Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafee bin Mortuza, Tushar Imran, Mohammad Ashraful, Sakib Al Hasan, Mehrab Hossain, Shahadat Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mohammad Sharif, Tapash Baisya, Abdur Razzak and Tamim Iqbal.

Bangladesh is starting their campaign in 2007 with a relatively easy away tour. Although return of Douglas Hondo might boost the struggling bowling attack of Zimbabwe, everyone is expecting another clean sweep by Bangladesh team. If Bangladesh can achieve that, the gap between the standard of cricket between Bangladesh and rest of the minnow nations including Zimbabwe will be more evident. A 3-1 series win might please some fans but will definitely raise some concern. Any other result will be considered unacceptable to the fans and well-wishers especially when World Cup in the Caribbeans is looming in the horizon.

Now, its time to look back. Now a days, whenever Bangladesh meet Zimbabwe, fans expect an easy win. In some cases fans even complain about the possible gain of Bangladesh with matches against Zimbabwe.

From the ICC trophy level, Zimbabwe was dominating the tie between these two teams. In the ICC trophy, Bangladesh played 3 matches against Zimbabwe and lost all of them. Tigers had to wait a long time before tasting a victory against the lions. After playing 10 matches with consecutive defeats, Bangladesh defeated Zimbabwe on 10 March 2004 at Harare for the first time in their cricketing history. Young Ashraful's heroics coupled with solid performance from Captain Habibul Bashar and Rajin Saleh earned the valuable win. Zimbabwe cricket went through some controversial reforms in late 2004 which resulted in rebellion by some key players. After Zimbabwe lost the key players, the fate started to shine for Bangladesh. Now, its the tale of Bangladesh's progress and Zimbabwe's slide.

Until the end of 2004, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe met 13 times and Zimbabwe was leading the stat with a 12-1 record.

Zimbabwe toured Bangladesh in early 2005. This a series to be remembered by many Bangladeshi fans as they earned the first ever ODI and test series win. Bangladesh won the 5 match ODI series by a margin of 3-2 after conceding the first two games. Since then, Bangladesh is dominating the frontier. From January 2005, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe fought 16 times to take the ODI pride. Bangladesh was victorious in 11 occasions. As I mentioned previously, this turnaround in the fate is contributed by Zimbabwe's decline in cricketing standard along with consistent progress of Bangladesh team. Apart from infamous 3-2 series loss in the last away series, Bangladesh always looked better among the two teams.

Bangladesh is now in a winning streak against Zimbabwe. After losing the away series in the 4th Match at Harare, Bangladesh defeated Zimbabwe in all the 7 matches they played including a 5-0 whitewash in the home soil.

It appears to the cricket pundits that Bangladesh is a better team among the two in the sub-continent conditions. In Zimbabwean condition or in fast bouncy wickets it's still difficult to distinguish the differences between these two teams. Bangladesh is now on a mission to prove this hypothesis wrong.

This away series will be a real test for both teams. Bangladesh will try to keep the winning streak and prove the last series loss as fluke while Zimbabwe will fight hard to make the record straight again.

From a more realistic point of view, this is a series where Bangladesh has all to lose but virtually nothing to gain. A series win by Bangladesh will be taken lightly by cricket world as everyone expects that. If, for any reason Bangladesh fail to achieve that feat, everyone will come hard on Bangladesh. Bangladesh's progress in 2006 will again come under microscope and obviously It will badly affect the morale of the team before world cup.

Now, the only way to prevent these happenings is to outperform Zimbabwe in their soil and start the world cup with head high. It might not add a huge thing to Bangladesh's credit but will certainly prevent any form of humiliation.

Last edited by Miraz; January 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typo

Old January 30, 2007, 09:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Good analysis
Old January 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Miraz bhai explained it all for me.
Old January 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

This article deserves to be on the front/home page before this tour. Probably people in USA (including bhai Zunaid Q) are busy in this super bowl week to come this deep to read such good article.
Old January 30, 2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
From a more realistic point of view, this is a series where Bangladesh has all to lose but virtually nothing to gain. A series win by Bangladesh will be taken lightly by cricket world as everyone expects that. If, for any reason Bangladesh fail to achieve that feat, everyone will come hard on Bangladesh. Bangladesh's progress in 2006 will again come under microscope and obviously It will badly affect the morale of the team before world cup.
Ditto
Bangladesh-er boydeshik banijja'r sejonno-e ei dur abostha! Lav ney jeneo babsa korey!! Karon...desh-er lav na holey-o nijer poket to borey!!! Shame.
Old January 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:

Wow. Nothing could be said better than what you said. But for us nothing short of a win will be good . Big brother England is loosing big. But I don't see any one of those who criticized BD make any comment. Just be fair, bro.
Old January 30, 2007, 07:01 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
Big brother England is loosing big. But I don't see any one of those who criticized BD make any comment. Just be fair, bro.
Except current Ashes series, England is doing pretty well in test cricket and currently ranked # 2 in LG ICC rating. I think that answers a lot!

England's ODI failure is not recent and they are harshly criticised for that. Check the following links from cricinfo, you will get the hint.

England generate yet more bull

Embarrassing England sink to new low

The lowest I've seen England - Vaughan

Now, the situation for England and Bangladesh are quite different. England are now showing their low point only in ODI, but they have shown high consistently for decades. Now, you analyze where Bangladesh stand?

At this stage, Bangladesh simply cannot afford to make mistakes. That's the simple truth.
Old January 30, 2007, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes Bangladesh just started to manage climbing the ladder. A loose in this series is going to take them right at the beginning. I dont want that to happen at any cost. Our neighboring media will come very hard on us, I can tell you on that one.
Old January 30, 2007, 10:59 PM
Club Cricketer

Alas No TV coverage of the series as no production money in Zimbabwe.
Old January 30, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkale

ahare....
Old January 30, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good Analysis................
Old January 31, 2007, 01:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Except current Ashes series, England is doing pretty well in test cricket and currently ranked # 2 in LG ICC rating. I think that answers a lot!

England's ODI failure is not recent and they are harshly criticised for that. Check the following links from cricinfo, you will get the hint.

England generate yet more bull

Embarrassing England sink to new low

The lowest I've seen England - Vaughan

Now, the situation for England and Bangladesh are quite different. England are now showing their low point only in ODI, but they have shown high consistently for decades. Now, you analyze where Bangladesh stand?

At this stage, Bangladesh simply cannot afford to make mistakes. That's the simple truth.
I meant comments like: Richie Benaud has added his respected voice to calls to kick Bangladesh out of top-level cricket following their first-Test thrashing in England."
or my mom can bat better than Bangladesh batsman.

I hope you get the point.
Old January 31, 2007, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Great Analysis Miraz
Old January 31, 2007, 05:34 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Again, same old question. This is a series between two full members. How can it go on without TV coverage or TV footage for 3rd umpire decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
Yes Bangladesh just started to manage climbing the ladder. A loose in this series is going to take them right at the beginning. I dont want that to happen at any cost. Our neighboring media will come very hard on us, I can tell you on that one.
FRB, the ladder for Bangladesh is quite slippery like the old তৈলাক্ত বাশ and that's why more care is needed in climbing.

And, its not only the neigbouring media, english-aussie media will be even louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia
I meant comments like: Richie Benaud has added his respected voice to calls to kick Bangladesh out of top-level cricket following their first-Test thrashing in England."
or my mom can bat better than Bangladesh batsman.

I hope you get the point.
Zia bhai, got it

Newbies everywhere get different treatment (including BC ) and that's what Bangladesh is getting from the elites.
Old January 31, 2007, 07:53 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Apart from wanting to see how well Tamim does, I have zero interest in this series.
Old January 31, 2007, 08:17 AM
Cricket Legend

yes miraz bhai, the ladder is slippery and it will remain slippery until we make winning against big teams a habit and not an accident!!!!
Old January 31, 2007, 08:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
the ladder is slippery and it will remain slippery until we make winning against big teams a habit and not an accident!!!!
Could not agree more
Old January 31, 2007, 01:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
No coverage at all! This ain't happening!!
Old January 31, 2007, 02:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Tamim: "Kire Mehrab, abul er moton hasos ken? Bujos nai ami aschi tor jaiga nite?"
Old January 31, 2007, 02:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Apart from wanting to see how well Tamim does, I have zero interest in this series.
and how well tamim does won't mean much.

if he scores 4 centuries...just means we have 2 minnow bashers (3 if you include aftab. but aftab at least scores the same against big teams too)

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 1, 2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Very Good writing Miraz Bhai. Excellent. Keep up the Good work.

To our BD Team:
" Kotha noy Bhai, ebar Kajei Proman Korte Hobe"
Old February 1, 2007, 01:17 AM
Cricket Legend

channel i a kintu tamim ar boktobbo shunlam. tar moddhe jeno ami tar chachake khuje pilam. asha korbo tini tar chachar namer shubichar korte parben. tar chachar hat dhore bangladesh cricket onekta poth pari diyechilo. asha korbo bhobisshote tar bat ar upor bhor kore bangladesh dol aro onek poth pari dibe. dhannabad.
Old February 1, 2007, 07:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

South Africa A team whitewashed the current Zimbabwe team in the recently concluded series under the name of Zimbabwe A. They even failed to put pressure on the SA A team for a single time. So, I think, any result other than a whitewash will be very much disappointing for the current BD team and there shouldn't be any chance for the Zimbabwe to show any sort of competitiveness.

Tigers should force the world to think that the difference between them and current Zimbabwe side is tooooo much with a heavyweight performance. GO TIGERS, GO!!!
Old February 1, 2007, 07:47 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcricmad
So, I think, any result other than a whitewash will be very much disappointing for the current BD team and there shouldn't be any chance for the Zimbabwe to show any sort of competitiveness.

bdcricmad, that's the general perception and ideally that should happen. Now, we need to keep in mind the 'not so glorious' uncertainty of Bangladesh cricket team.
Old February 1, 2007, 11:05 AM

Rain or shine, Zimbabwe prepares for Croco Motors series

THE Bangladesh cricket team arrives in Harare this afternoon, for the Croco Motors One-Day International (ODI) series against Zimbabwe.
All the four matches of the series are at the Harare Sports Club. The first one is on on Sunday, the 4th of February. The second one is on Tuesday, the third on Friday and the fourth and final one on Saturday.
After losing a three one-day match warm-up series against South Africa A, the Zimbabwe squad returned to Harare for camping, but persistent rains in the capital have disturbed most of their training sessions. However, team manager Givemore Makoni said the weather conditions have not shattered the training programme.
“We managed to have nets after coming back from Bulawayo, and we also had a practice match on Wednesday,” he said, adding: “On Thursday, we are hoping to have another practice match, then another one on Friday. On Saturday we will have a light session. We will be ready for the first match on Sunday.”
On his side’s mental preparedness after the series whitewash defeat in Bangladesh late last year, Makoni said: \"They have put those losses in Bangladesh and against South Africa A behind them. They have obviously picked a few lessons and are looking forward to this series.” All players picked for the 22-men training squad worked out this week, including fit-again opening batsman Terrence Duffin, who has missed the last three series due to a torn wrist tendon. Zimbabwe team physiotherapist Amato Machikicho declared Duffin “medically and clinically fit”. Squads
Zimbabwe (training squad): Prosper Utseya (captain), Gary Brent, Erick Chauluka, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Charles Coventry, Keith Dabengwa, Terrence Duffin, Trevor Garwe, Anthony Ireland, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Friday Kasteni, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Mluleki Nkala, Edward Rainsford, Vusumuzi Sibanda, Brendan Taylor and Sean Williams.

Source: Zimbabwe Cricket website