facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 19, 2009, 05:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

@Shubho, excellent post but disagree with a few points, especially with regards to Rubel ...

He has aggression, pace, swing, slower balls and quality reverse yorkers simply not seen before in Bangladesh. He needs to be guided and managed properly so that he follows a script he can pull off consistently because he likes it. Rarely used in the Caribbean, he found himself in two minds and often bowled without the type of assertiveness emblematic of what I'm talking about.

The pressure Enam can create, even without getting wickets himself, results in wickets for others. In time he'll get his due share of wickets.

Roqib Will persist until someone better and more consistent is ready to take his place. Look at his aggregate grade here and it's no surprise that he's at the top. Maybe Mushfiq, Imrul, Shahriar Nafis (the only ICLer we need besides Dhiman behind the stumps), or Nafis Iqbal at #s 3 and/or 4. I think he needs at least 2-3 years of solid A Team cricket to learn to sight quality bowling better, rotate the strike with greater ease in the process, and eventually add some decent strokes he can play well. International cricket isn't the right place to overcome your basic limitations, IMO.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 19, 2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old August 19, 2009, 06:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

You are welcome Sohel bhai. I see the Mods have not read your comment to change the thread name as of yet.

I was actually quite depressed after the loss to Zimb. which I must give credit to some terrible game-planning on our behalf as much as the Zimbo's played brilliantly on the day.

Its good to see a come back by the boys. And some very unexpected turns taken I must say especially with the Dollar Chronicles among others. It was quite sad to witness Mushy getting denied his very deserved 100 but then again there's always a next time for a quality player like him.

With all said and done, there were ups and downs. There were some players excelling while others sitting on the sidelines injured. But like they say, "All's well that ends well"!

Good luck BD for all the matches to come!
Old August 19, 2009, 07:50 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
An "A" means "superior" by the highest standards and is hard to come by. This ain't Mississippi Valley Community College or Scholastica for the obscenely wealthy and spoiled. An "A+" is top shelf, not just memorable to a certain group of people. Tamim's innings, as decisive and emotionally moving as it was, wasn't flawless. But the flaw, meaning the life that he got, was mitigated by the overall value of his achievement and gave him the A instead of A- (excellent) or B+ (very good). Being not out with 5 overs and a handful of 1s and 2s to go would have given him the "+" ...
Didn't Tamim get drooped off Utseya by Chigumbura at 116? He scored a further 38, but BD might have won even if Chigumbura held on to the catch. BTW, Coventry was dropped by Rusel at 13. He scored another 181 only. The question is then, is a chanceless 116 enough to get an A++?
Old August 19, 2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
It seems like Mr Ashraful's quota of runs is finished for this year. He is getting out early as usual everyday.
Very insightful. ROTFL...
Old August 19, 2009, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Pick of the series for me:

Tamim - Excellent, 3 scores out of 5
Sakib- Good with Bat n Ball combined
Russell - OK, made his presence felt
Enamul - OK, justified his inclusion
Riyad - Ok, with bat n ball combined

Raqibul, Mushfiq - Did their job

Dollar - Surprised with his performance, but don't need to reverse all speculations about him. Let's wait how he performs in future
Old August 19, 2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
5. Shakib Al Hasan: Is unlikely to have too many bad matches on the trot. Bowled beautifully and scored valuable runs before taking on a fielder unnecessary. Captaincy was better but strange with Dollar Mahmud out of the field for the last 15 to 20 overs after dropping a sitter. 0 for 22 from 8 overs with 2 maidens and a wide, and 30 from 40 balls. A for bowling, B- for batting and C+ for captaincy takes him to B- (goodish) for the match.
My only complaint about his captaincy was his bowling Dolar only 8 overs. Unless Dolar was tired, Shakib should have allowed him to finish his quota. If he struck again (getting 5 wickets in the process), ZIM would have folded for less. If Dolar was tired, he could have been brought back after a breather.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The pressure Enam can create, even without getting wickets himself, results in wickets for others. In time he'll get his due share of wickets.
Dolar's devastating spell notwithstanding, Bangladesh's biggest bowling weakness is the inability to attack the stamps. At the present time, Razzak may be the only bowler who can do that, but we need more...
Old August 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I know stamps, I used them for sending mails before Digital Bangladesh unofficially kicked off.

The match grading for the 5th was appropriate, while the series grading does not seem to be in texture. How about setting up some strict rules on grading so the harmony and symmetry throughout a series remains intact.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
My only complaint about his captaincy was his bowling Dolar only 8 overs. Unless Dolar was tired, Shakib should have allowed him to finish his quota. If he struck again (getting 5 wickets in the process), ZIM would have folded for less. If Dolar was tired, he could have been brought back after a breather.
The way Price and Taylor was batting at one point didn't it seem that they would bat out the fifty overs? Powerplay taken at 46th over. Would you not have at least two overs of Dolar to finish the game? Just an observation. fifer is meaningless if the captain makes tactical mistakes and concede the advantage. What if that 5th wicket never came in the middle overs and we would only have Rasel to close out the innings. You would want the spinners to bowl 47th, 49th or 48th, 50th overs (with powerplay on)? If Shakib followed your strategy and Shaheba didn't bail us out, we would be chasing 240+.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
@Shubho, excellent post but disagree with a few points, especially with regards to Rubel ...

He has aggression, pace, swing, slower balls and quality reverse yorkers simply not seen before in Bangladesh. He needs to be guided and managed properly so that he follows a script he can pull off consistently because he likes it. Rarely used in the Caribbean, he found himself in two minds and often bowled without the type of assertiveness emblematic of what I'm talking about.

Roqib Will persist until someone better and more consistent is ready to take his place. Look at his aggregate grade here and it's no surprise that he's at the top. Maybe Mushfiq, Imrul, Shahriar Nafis (the only ICLer we need besides Dhiman behind the stumps), or Nafis Iqbal at #s 3 and/or 4. I think he needs at least 2-3 years of solid A Team cricket to learn to sight quality bowling better, rotate the strike with greater ease in the process, and eventually add some decent strokes he can play well. International cricket isn't the right place to overcome your basic limitations, IMO.
Agree there. I am very hopeful of Rubel. He has the raw ingredients to be a good fast bowler, as you have indicated, but nurturing him carefully is the key challenge. He is able to reverse the ball because he has pace, something that can't be taught. Either you have it or you don't. I would mostly play him in the test team now, keeping him fresh, and he can also experiment in that version without the constant worries of economy in the shorter version. Once, he fixes his radar to a consistent acceptable level, he will given more and more opportunity in the shorter version. His ability to york the batsmen with the old ball can be huge in death overs. We have no one who can do that.