facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 23, 2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Default Mirpur mistakes will spur UDRS usage - David Morgan

Technology in cricket
Mirpur mistakes will spur UDRS usage - David Morgan

Andrew Miller in Dhaka

England top scorers, Tim Bresnan and Ian Bell, received let-offs from the umpires on the third day © Getty Images

David Morgan, the ICC president, believes that the umpiring controversies that marred the third day of the Mirpur Test will help to encourage all cricket boards to embrace the use of the Umpire Decision Review System, but added that the business of footing the bill must still be shared by the host broadcaster for each series.

"I think that UDRS makes for wonderful television," Morgan said. "It adds a dimension to the package that a viewer receives, and I do believe that the broadcasters have a responsibility to fund part of it. Cricket is not afloat with dollars and pounds and euros. It is not a rich sport and we believe there has to be a contribution.

"But next time Bangladesh host international cricket, against New Zealand in October, I am sure that the BCB will have the equipment available," he added. "They clearly regret not having it in this series."

Shakib Al Hasan, Bangladesh's captain, was critical of the BCB following the third day's play, saying that had they chosen to pay for the referral technology, his team could have claimed a first-innings lead over England and made a push for their fourth Test victory.

"We would have been in a very good position if [UDRS] was in use here," he said. "I think we would have asked for a referral four times with full confidence, and three of them would have come to our way for sure. It's really bad for us that we did not use the referral system, which we could have done."

"Umpires can make mistakes, but a series of mistakes have gone against us, and it's very unfortunate," said Mustapha Kamal, the BCB president. "We have been talking about [UDRS] issue, but we found that other countries have not been using it extensively, so we thought that, first of all, we must know about the system itself. It is very delicate and if we misused it, it might go against us."

Speaking during an official visit to Bangladesh ahead of next year's World Cup, Morgan also defended the integrity of the ICC's elite umpires following Andy Flower's pre-series comments that more influential teams tend to get the rub of the green in marginal decisions, a suggestion that was backed up by Bangladesh's coach, Jamie Siddons, at the close of the third day's play.

"I have a great deal of time for Andy Flower. I have not chatted with him on this matter, but I'd like to," said Morgan. "I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased. This game will be monitored in Dubai, and the match referee is here monitoring umpire performance as well. We will also listen to the captain of Bangladesh and the coach, but their views will not necessarily be regarded as value judgements at the end of the day.

"The UDRS system is being rolled out and is being used significantly more than in situations such as this when it is not in use," said Morgan. "Boards and broadcasters are being pressed to ensure it is available, and I think it will not be too long before we have the system operating with the optimum equipment available at each Test match, wherever it is played in the world."

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo. Go to http://twitter.com/miller_cricket to follow him on Twitter through the England tour of Bangladesh.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng201...ry/453155.html

Old March 23, 2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

why does one need to pay to receive fair and equal treatment?

everyone involved in the game is entitled to it by right.

lak of ursd isnt an excuse for umps to get it wrong.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:27 AM
Cricket Legend

the decision that went against us cost us hugely, if bd dismissed england less than 350 the whole scenerio would be different and bd would be playing for a win now. we have been frankly hijacked by the umpires.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by unda_bhai
why does one need to pay to receive fair and equal treatment?

everyone involved in the game is entitled to it by right.

lak of ursd isnt an excuse for umps to get it wrong.
you have struck the heart of the matter ! UDRS can't be given as an excuse for the horrible umpiring.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Details of series against NZ ?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Any details of home series against new zealand next october?

Last edited by dolcevita; March 23, 2010 at 08:04 AM..
Old March 23, 2010, 08:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

will england want UDRS when playing against BD ????

if UDRS was there they would have lost this game. as no UDRS the may win this.

so no URDS is good for bigger countries playing against lesser countries
Old March 23, 2010, 08:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
will england want UDRS when playing against BD ????

if UDRS was there they would have lost this game. as no UDRS the may win this.

so no URDS is good for bigger countries playing against lesser countries
already forgot aus vs WI ? even UDRS decisions went against WI that were clearly wrong.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Why England would want to take UDRS when BD will be touring in their country next month. They are getting benefits of umpires without UDRS which may be reduced if UDRS in effect.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

The ICC should pay parts of the cost of UDRS system. They already bear the cost of umpires so why dont they bear the cost of UDRS which is supposed to be part of umpiring.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Details of the next series against new zealand in october ?

Old March 23, 2010, 08:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Two different issues. One addressed by Morgan and the other convinently ignored by him.

Yes use of tecnology can help.

But how about quality of umpiring and clear biasness issue when misatkes clearly goes against one team? How ICC is planning to adress that i.e. quality issue of the umpiring? How umpires are evaluated? How Bangladesh end up getting shitty umpires series after series? How come ICC doesn't fine umpires (their match money) for repeatedly violating the fairness of the game?
Old March 23, 2010, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased.
OK, in that case, they are freaking incompetent and well incapable of doing their jobs. Drop them.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

Hasnt Morgan told that all the good quality umpires are in ipl?
Old March 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

The UDRS system must be refined before making it a must for internationals. The rules for UDRS stands like this, if there is doubt about a decision, the on-field umpires' decision stands. Which is quite hypocritical in my opinion. If we are to take the help of technology, we should use it completely.
A faint edge should be given out regardless of what the on-field umpire said. An lbw should be given out if it is clipping just the bails, regardless of what the &@^#! on the field[read Tony hill, Rod Tucker] said.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
OK, in that case, they are freaking incompetent and well incapable of doing their jobs. Drop them.
exactly my first thought. if they are not biased they are simply inept. Umpires should be fined and punished (and those to be made public) for their job bad done...
Old March 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Details of the next series against new zealand in october ?

schedule still not finalized by any booard
Old March 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
said Morgan. "I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased. This game will be monitored in Dubai, and the match referee is here monitoring umpire performance as well. We will also listen to the captain of Bangladesh and the coach, but their views will not necessarily be regarded as value judgements at the end of the day.
If ICC doesn't give values to their opinions then what's the use of listening to the captain and the coach?
Old March 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i wonder where smashed up is in all this?

in the heat of this test match, i totally forgot this guy thinks ALL decisions go in BD's favor - even in matches not involving BD.

where are ya, smashed-up?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 23, 2010, 01:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Message for BCB - use the freaken UDRS! Find someone better than Lotus to negotiate with Nimbus for a reasonable price for use of hotspot cameras.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased.
That is how Political Correctness works in the modern world- one complained about individual, seen as he /she complained about institution. You don’t need to rectify or fix the problem because it was human error, admin error or technological issue; however, you do need to enforce breach of code of conduct on complainant for bringing the holy game into disrepute. You are always right; it is me or siddons who is wrong!
Old March 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Andrew's latest tweet ( http://twitter.com/miller_cricket ):

Quote:
# A very convivial evening at the BCB president's mansion. It's fair to suggest that money was no object for UDRS... 7 minutes ago via txt
Old March 23, 2010, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

I cannot understand why does it have to be UDRS or nothing. The UDRS , I believe includes "Hot Spot".

Umpires should be able to use whatever technology is available. After all, it is available for both sides as it is available for the viewers. If there is doubt even after watching the replays, the decision should go in the batsman's favour. Period.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
If ICC doesn't give values to their opinions then what's the use of listening to the captain and the coach?
চুরান্ত প্রহসন।
Old March 23, 2010, 01:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Two different issues. One addressed by Morgan and the other convinently ignored by him.

Yes use of tecnology can help.

But how about quality of umpiring and clear biasness issue when misatkes clearly goes against one team? How ICC is planning to adress that i.e. quality issue of the umpiring? How umpires are evaluated? How Bangladesh end up getting shitty umpires series after series? How come ICC doesn't fine umpires (their match money) for repeatedly violating the fairness of the game?
Precisely. Its all good for him to state the obvious that UDRS would have helped but some of the decisions not given THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE TOUR (not just this test match) were not even close. If i am not mistaken ICC are responsible for the umpires so as president of the organisation he should be taking the responsiblity and atleast apologise for the horrendous umpiring in the TOUR. This bias against lesser teams are well known and documented and yet the ICC shrug it off and point fingers elsewhere. PATHETIC TOTALLY PATHETIC.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Thumbs up UDRS in next Test series

UDRS in next Test series

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president AHM Mustafa Kamal has assured that the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) will be in place from the next home Test series in Bangladesh which is in October against New Zealand.

Clarifying that the non-installation of the UDRS in the current series against England had nothing to do with finance rather it was a matter of the intricacy of the system that barred from it being installed, the BCB supremo said they are working with the broadcasters and others involved to make sure that the logistics are there for the next Test series. He said all these to reporters at the press box of the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium while accompanying International Cricket Council (ICC) president David Morgan yesterday.

"We have been talking about the UDRS issue, but we found that other countries have not been using it extensively, so we thought that, first of all, we must know about the system itself. It is very delicate and if we misused it, it might go against us. There was also the matter of agreement with broadcasters involved," said the BCB chief.

"Now we have taken up the matter with the broadcasters and everybody has agreed that in time for the New Zealand tour, everything will be in place."

Such an affirmative response from the person-in-charge was the demand of the hour after the blasting by Bangladesh skipper Shakib Al Hasan the previous day for BCB's failure to have the technology in place for the current series.

The whole series against England, starting from the one-dayers has been dogged with contentious decisions. The most frustrating fact was that the hosts have been in the receiving end for most of those shocking decisions.

A fuming Bangladesh coach Jamie Siddons claimed at the end of third day's play that three or four decisions went against his side which only justified his opposite number Andy Flower's pre-series remark that more influential teams tend to get the rub of the green in marginal decisions.

The ICC president refuted such indication but at the same time he felt Bangladesh might have been better off with the UDRS in place than not and admitted that he was not pleased with the standard of umpiring in the series.

"I cannot accept that any of our international or elite umpires are biased. This game will be monitored in Dubai, and the match referee here is monitoring umpires' performances as well. We will also listen to the captain of Bangladesh and the coach, but their views will not necessarily be regarded as value judgements at the end of the day," said Morgan.

The ICC president expected that there will be a day soon enough when every Test match will have the UDRS in use.

"The UDRS system is being rolled out and is being used significantly more than in situations such as this when it is not in use," said Morgan. "Boards and broadcasters are being pressed to ensure it is available, and I think it will not be too long before we have the system operating with the optimum equipment available at each Test match, wherever it is played in the world."

But he expected the involvement of broadcasters as well as the cricket council in both monetary and logistics perspectives to ensure that the UDRS gets going soon.

"Cricket is not afloat with dollars, and pounds and euros, it's not a rich sport. So, there has to be some contribution from the broadcasters as well as from the ICC.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=131395