facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lasith Malinga.

Thanx for the article yaaaaarrrrr, priceless...

Old July 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Very simple correlation. Moist air will make a bouncy wicket bouncier but has little impact on dead batting tracks.

Moist air means the moisture on the wicket will be retained for longer time and that helps in greater purchase (lift) from the wicket.
It's not that simple. The correlation is non-linear. Just read the article below

http://www.cimh.edu.bb/The%20outfield%2012.pdf

Several branches of science are involved in the making of a pitch.
Old July 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisermatin
It's not that simple. The correlation is non-linear. Just read the article below

http://www.cimh.edu.bb/The%20outfield%2012.pdf

Several branches of science are involved in the making of a pitch.
It's simple, you missed the point. I haven't said anything about the making of a pitch.

If a pitch is already made bouncy, moist air will help better seam movement and will help in bounce as it will prevent quick evaporation of moisture from the wicket. Very simple principle of physics.

Moisture on the wicket greatly helps in seam movement and bounce.
Old July 30, 2007, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Good fast bouncy wickets even without seaming support will be much better than the current slow and low wickets.
Exactly!! Atleast having a good and fast bouncy pitch is better than having nothin. The BD batsmen will have some clue of what it might be like, unlike when most of the times they are clueless about these kind of stuff.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
Exactly!! Atleast having a good and fast bouncy pitch is better than having nothin. The BD batsmen will have some clue of what it might be like, unlike when most of the times they are clueless about these kind of stuff.
It's really awwfull to watch when they act like clueless ones.
Old July 31, 2007, 08:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

It seemed Sri Lanka could not produce fast, bouncy pitches until Sri Lanka started producing a string of fast and fast-medium bowlers. Now the difficulty seems to have vanished out of the backdoor !

If you want to do it, you can do it. I am sure Bangladesh could produce such wickets.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Looks a really good structure for the Sri Lankans. Everything seems to be improving!
Old July 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

it is an interesting article. we need more money to be spent at grassroots level as well..
Old August 2, 2007, 03:13 AM
Cricket Legend

There is also something called talent. If Sri Lanka with its 20 million people can have a Jayasuriya, Muralitharan and a Vaas in their midst, I am pretty sure we have similar people in our 140 million. However, the question is how do we identify them and give them the chance to display their skills?
Old August 4, 2007, 07:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
There is also something called talent. If Sri Lanka with its 20 million people can have a Jayasuriya, Muralitharan and a Vaas in their midst, I am pretty sure we have similar people in our 140 million. However, the question is how do we identify them and give them the chance to display their skills?
Right on track.

We have a huge population which can produce a lot of skilled persons in every field that we would concentrate on. Bringing 40/50 skilled talented matured players out of this huge population won't be a big deal if we can work according to a good plan.
Old August 4, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Very handy post
Old August 6, 2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Now on the front page:

Articles and Features

Cricket: Sri Lankan Model and Its Possible Adoption in Bangladesh
Sheikh Abu Ayub Azad
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The same could be held true for the Bangladesh cricket team, especially in the Test history. But what version of history should the Tigers learn from? BC's Ayub Azad explores by looking at the Sri Lankan cricket model.
Read article »
Old September 4, 2007, 03:46 PM
Cricket Guru

A good read. But there are points that I can't agree with WW. I am reposting my opinion on decentralization which I think is more appropiate to this thread :

Decentralization - It does not make sense to me. For betterment of Bangladesh cricket, I believe we need a strong centralized professional league, and Dhaka premier league is currently serving that purpose. It was DPL that had helped us to gain international status. After all those years, DPL is still far far ahead of other leagues in the country in terms of popularity, competitiveness, organizational and financial strength.

If you look at Sri Lanka, their FC league is basically a Colombo based club league with few clubs from other parts of the country incorporated. The interprovincial tournament that WW talks about only took place in 2004 and 2005, thereafter the unpopular event was discontinued.

Back to our case - regardless of what a cricket crazy nation we are, I don't think we have the financial strength to support more than one professional league (Corporate league and NCL give us ample proof here). Also, by making the players play for different teams in different leagues (CCL, DPL, and NCL) in the same season, we are hampering the players from developing the sense of belonging to one team (which I think is an important requisite for competitiveness in team sports).

By ignoring the DPL (and trying to promote a picnic league as called by some ex-nationals), BCB have actually weakened the strength of our domestic structure in last few years. What they need to do is to pour more money into DPL and ask the clubs to start a FC league in parallel to existing oneday and twenty20 leagues. Clubs should be also told to start age levels teams to groom talents.

One objection against DPL is that it has too many teams. Also teams such as Old DOHS and Indira Road have big strength difference. Well, this problem can be solved by breaking the teams into two tiers with promotion and relagation (like English county league).

This does not mean leagues outside Dhaka should be ignored. BCB should also make it a priority to revive leagues in places like Chittagong, Mymensingh, Khulna, Rajshahi, and Sylhet. If financially possible, BCB should encourage top clubs from those areas to join Dhaka first division and try to gain entry into DPL (like Young Pegasus from Rajshahi did).

BCB can also continue to run a league for division/district based teams, excluding DPL players, that will help them spot talents outside DPL.

PS: I was born and brought up in a city 200 km away from Dhaka. I can assure you that there is no reason to think I am emotionally biased towards our capital city.
Old October 19, 2007, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Warwolf:

Just wanted to let you know that while I was in Dhaka on a hectic visit this article was mentioned a lot of times by a senior member of BCB. Although the ideas have been circulated previously, it seems that your piece has certainly captured the attention and imagination of decision members.

Congratulations. Thanks for helping BC becoming a positive influence.
Old October 19, 2007, 01:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Cricket as a whole is much more professional here in Sri Lanka. At the age level our guys can be comparable, but once they reach age 17+ there is more opportunity to develop here. You must see how serious even their school cricket is. The clash between Royal College and St Thomas (two of the largest schools in Sri Lanka) is televised on television, and followed by ppl all over the country. Just an example of how serious ppl are about their cricket here. We should have modeled the Sri Lankans instead of looking at the Aussies. Yet again fingers have to be pointed to the policy makers.
Old October 19, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Wow Oracle bhai, that's great news.

I'm happy that our voices at BC is being heard by the new BCB management. Thanks to WarWolf for giving his best in producing this fantastic piece. Congrats buddy
Old October 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
Warwolf:

Just wanted to let you know that while I was in Dhaka on a hectic visit this article was mentioned a lot of times by a senior member of BCB. Although the ideas have been circulated previously, it seems that your piece has certainly captured the attention and imagination of decision members.

Congratulations. Thanks for helping BC becoming a positive influence.
Dear Oracle bhai
Thanks for your appreciation. Actually the praise should go to Miraz bhai and the editorial team for decorating the article in such a nice manner.

My father is seriously ill due to cancer. That's why I am not regular at BC right now. I miss BC every moment these days. Please pray for him.
Old October 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Dear Oracle bhai
Thanks for your appreciation. Actually the praise should go to Miraz bhai and the editorial team for decorating the article in such a nice manner.

My father is seriously ill due to cancer. That's why I am not regular at BC right now. I miss BC every moment these days. Please pray for him.
Wish your father a speedy recovery and good health. We are with you at your time of difficulty..
Old October 28, 2007, 12:54 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Dear Oracle bhai

Wish your father a speedy and complete recovery. We miss you here as well.

About the article, every credit goes to you, I have simply performed my duty as an editor.
Old October 29, 2007, 02:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Thanks abherath, Miraz bhai and all other BC members for your support.
Old October 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
I'm extremely sorry to hear that bro. Hope your father recovers fast. We are always there for you, so please count on us if there's anything we can do to make it easy for you at this time.
Old October 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ok guys, we dont' need a Sri Lankan model, Aussie model or Indian or Paki model. Remember we alreadhy had a rich cricket history in Bangladesh for over a hundred years. It's just that the quality wasn't that good. After we split from Pakistan, there was always cricket being played at the club level, but the problem was the quality was not that good. So, remember, BD is not new to cricket.

So I am sick of trying to adapt other country's models because they are not always appropriate. I believe we need to stop replicating other countries models and just let a new BD model evolve. Right now the systems in place is fine. There is a first class structure. There is a club structure. There is school cricket structure. Just the pitches suck and the players are not motivated enough in the first class system. Hopefully the financial compensation for the players will make them motivated and the quality of the games will improve. But finances alone, the players need to realize that it's up to them to improve to reflect on BD wins at the test level.

So, basically what I am saying is no point in trying to replicate other country's models when the real problem is motivation for our players and the winning attitude at the test level. This Attitude (without being overconfident and stupid and celebrating everytime someone scores a hundred) will go a long way to give BD wins at the test levels very soon. The basics are there already. Just the hunger for win is lacking. That's it that's all that it comes down to! Let me know how many of you agree with me. I am just sick and tired of trying to replicate other countries when a system is already in place. Just need some tweaking and the players need a spanking!
Old October 31, 2007, 05:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Thanks brother. I know i have a lot of good friends and brothers like you here in BC and that is a big support for me. BC is really a big well educated family to me and I am honored to a member of this family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I'm extremely sorry to hear that bro. Hope your father recovers fast. We are always there for you, so please count on us if there's anything we can do to make it easy for you at this time.
Old October 31, 2007, 05:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Dear Oracle bhai

Oh dear...wish your father a quick recovery. Hope he gets well soon and congrats on your article
Old November 4, 2007, 07:04 AM
Street Cricketer

Again we are falling behind by taking Sri Lanka as the model. Why in the world should we be content with 2nd or 3rd best ?? why cannot we follow the best ??

I assume you would say its impossible to turn a paddy field into a gold mine overnight, yes its true , but why would not you try to turn a paddy field into a gold mine rather than turning it into a grain field with say 10 years time in mind ??

You might have a point saying Sri Lanka and Bangladesh could be related culturally , and all other subcontinental support ....

I simply dont think this is the right way, if we want to be the world beaters we will have to follow the Aussies and there should not be any compromise regarding our goal.

Im not saying this in terms of cricket only, but i think its also there in our genes that we are content by being second best ..!!!

Its about time we change .. we should because every nation has its evolution, its time we Bangladeshis help evolve our nation too .