facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Do you welcome the US naval ship on Bangladesh coas?
Yes 33 86.84%
No 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 29, 2007, 08:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
I think we should have refused the help of the US service men in 1991 (operation sea angel) when they helped in a similar fashion because that incident created the precedence for them to come again. We have given US an opportunity to after the "Oil that is supposed to exist" at the cost of saving real lives. How did we fall into this US trap?! By being so gullible, we cannot expect to progress as nation.
i am surprised nobody saw the sarcasm in my comment! I have to announce that I am being sarcastic

Old December 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
i am surprised nobody saw the sarcasm in my comment! I have to announce that I am being sarcastic
Yup!
Old December 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Dispel public confusion over stay of US navy ship
Speakers urge govt at BBC Bangladesh Sanglap
Staff Correspondent

The caretaker government should dispel public confusion over the detail plan of a US Navy ship that is acting as the launch pad for US relief effort in the coastal districts, speakers at a BBC Bangladesh Sanglap yesterday said.

They said the administration should clarify how long the US service personnel would stay here, how they would perform their activities and when they would leave the country, easing public doubt.

"As the US warship has given rise to questions in the public mind, it is the government's duty to make everything clear," said former army chief Lt Gen (retd) Harun-Ar-Rashid.

He said the misgivings are not groundless given the US attitude in different countries. "If people know how long and how US soldiers will work here, then they will get relief from confusion".

Other panellists in the Sanglap included Awami League (AL) presidium member Motia Chowdhury, adviser to BNP chairperson Enam Ahmed Chowdhury, and president of Bangladesh Economic Association Dr Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad.

Echoing Harun, Motia Chowdhury said the US would have to prove that public confusion over their presence here is pointless.

She said people do not know about the terms and conditions under which the US service personnel arrived here. As the government did not make the terms public, they are now in uncertainty as to whether the US soldiers have intentions other than relief operations only.

Enam, a former Privatisation Board chairman, said everything will be clear if the timetable for relief work and rehabilitation could first be fixed.

Dr Kholiquzzaman said different countries have different styles of helping a disaster-hit country and the US has sent in soldiers. But the government should have made it clear, he said, adding that relief materials would not reach all if distribution of it is not done in a coordinated way.

BBC Bangla Service organised the Sanglap together with BBC World Service Trust and was moderated by Shakeel Anwar of BBC Bangla Service.

All the panellists called on the government to try the war criminals immediately.

Lt Gen (retd) Harun said in this regard that the state has no obstacle to bringing the war criminals in the dock but political goodwill is necessary for this, adding the war criminals could be tried under the existing law of the country.

The present or any future government can form special tribunal anytime to bring them to book, he said.

Dr Kholiquzzaman said trying the war criminals should be the first task of the next elected government, with Motia adding that the Awami League would try them if voted to power in the future.

Enam said the present government has been busy with trying corrupt people and extortionists, but they should also identify the war criminals to bring them to book.

He admitted that the BNP-led four party coalition government could not try the war criminals because they did not have goodwill in this regard.

All the panellists agreed that the government should coordinate the relief operations to ensure that it reaches everyone equally. They also said donor agencies should not prefer NGOs to the government in conducting relief work.

Last edited by Nasif; December 2, 2007 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: html fix
Old December 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
Street Cricketer

I would accept thousands people live at risk rather than live like mendicancy squad. Its shameful life to live like bikkok. I will live with a famous chinese probverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Old December 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall
I would accept thousands people live at risk rather than live like mendicancy squad. Its shameful life to live like bikkok. I will live with a famous chinese probverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Don give a man any fish and don teach him how to fish either and he will die.

Why is it so hard for you to accept help. Our garment industry relies on US. Take that away and our whole Economy would crumble.
We don have OIL neither we have any other forms of rich mineral. They are simply here to help. The more they help and the more time they stay the better it is.
You are only saying this because you haev no idea about the hardship these people are facing.
Try to be in the shoes of the victims and then make comments.
Old December 2, 2007, 02:42 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Don give a man any fish and don teach him how to fish either and he will die.

Why is it so hard for you to accept help. Our garment industry relies on US. Take that away and our whole Economy would crumble.
We don have OIL neither we have any other forms of rich mineral. They are simply here to help. The more they help and the more time they stay the better it is.
You are only saying this because you haev no idea about the hardship these people are facing.
Try to be in the shoes of the victims and then make comments.
Its so hard for me to accept "vikari" help because from the day i have started to think i have seen us asking for "vikka" whenever for any reason. Thats what made us a disble nation. Have you ever seen any "Vikari village" in Bangladesh? People of these village never do anything but doing vikka generation after generation and they are proud of that. What a Low life shameless lowest category people!.

US garment industry rely on us becuase of low cost and cheap labour. Its not help. We made US to to do bussiness with us. If US have got other cheap sources US businessmen wouldnt give a damn of my country. Businessmen mean Business.

when you said we dont have oil and other rich mineral i say why not make other pay us oil. In that case i would prefer invade other well resourced country. Thats what your respectable master (US, UK and all developed and so called civilized country) did. Learn a lifetime lesson here " Dont ask help , make other to help".

I have seen my family, how they have grown up from hardship to leadership.
If i have 50000Tk i wouldnt distribute it to 100 family to live 5 good day. instead i will pick 5 family, will show them the way how to pass better life for lifetime and make other to learn the technique.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

I thought the US sent an aircraft carrier. Now, from the News it seems that the ship they sent is a small one that has a Helipad.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its so hard for me to accept "vikari" help because from the day i have started to think i have seen us asking for "vikka" whenever for any reason. Thats what made us a disble nation. .....
......I have seen my family, how they have grown up from hardship to leadership.
If i have 50000Tk i wouldnt distribute it to 100 family to live 5 good day. instead i will pick 5 family, will show them the way how to pass better life for lifetime and make other to learn the technique.
Your argument is philosophically sound, at best. What the ships are doing is a one time event, and our response has to be in tune with the reality. It has nothing to do with any "vikari" habit. You are failing to grasp the gravity of the situation, and overly eager to express your "strength of mind" at the expense of the suffering of so many people.

Incidently, do you know on a person to person basis, how many of the victims receiving foreign aid are "vikaris?" I doubt you do. And what if one were your sister trapped in the outer banks - and unreachable via your "vikari" noukas? What would your choice be...hope for the best, or let the aid relief come and rescue her from the off-shore?
Old December 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Its so hard for me to accept "vikari" help because from the day i have started to think i have seen us asking for "vikka" whenever for any reason. Thats what made us a disble nation. Have you ever seen any "Vikari village" in Bangladesh? People of these village never do anything but doing vikka generation after generation and they are proud of that. What a Low life shameless lowest category people!.

US garment industry rely on us becuase of low cost and cheap labour. Its not help. We made US to to do bussiness with us. If US have got other cheap sources US businessmen wouldnt give a damn of my country. Businessmen mean Business.

when you said we dont have oil and other rich mineral i say why not make other pay us oil. In that case i would prefer invade other well resourced country. Thats what your respectable master (US, UK and all developed and so called civilized country) did. Learn a lifetime lesson here " Dont ask help , make other to help".

Well can u pls give me a name of the village where everyone is a vikari????

These people lost everything, houses, boats (since most of them were fishemans),
Now they will have to rebuild their life and feed their family. They need everyones help. US is there to help. Thats the fact.

Bangladesh donated a million dollars to Us government during Katrina. U call it helping and u call it humanity. U help people who are not as lucky as you. Calling your country a "vikari nation" is a bad bad thing to say. U must be reprimended for that.

By the way how many families did u volunteeritly showed
" will show them the way how to pass better life for lifetime and make other to learn the technique" ( i don know wat that means tho). Can u pls be a lil more specific abt how to go abt doing that. May be Dr Yunus can take a leaf out of your theory and work on it.

Pundit called your comment Philosophy, I call it "non sense" at best
Old December 3, 2007, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Maybe thats the reason you think every poor person around can just wake up and become rich if they wanted to.

People who become rich after poverty often do so because they worked hard, and because they got the right amount of luck.

I am sure you are proud of your family, but dont forget there are thousands of other families who are working equally hard but who are unable to progress because of bad luck/circumstances.
Old December 3, 2007, 03:29 AM
Test Cricketer

couldn't refrain myself to post here. Those who are opposing US help, i'm sure most of you are getting your education in the States. Working your a$$ off to get their citizenship. and now you don't want US to give to aid to us. More than you, those sufferer needs help. They can't afford to care who is american or indian. they just need help.

Bhoter mukhe ram ram!!!

Always remember!! they are the super power. They don't need any cause. If they want our oil ( ? ), they can get it by somewhoe and we can NEVER stop them.
Old December 3, 2007, 06:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Ok, here is a clarification from my side to open this thread. I was strongly trying to be impersonal irrespective to what was my stand on this issue. I didnt even try to imply anything like if the US navy had any other hidden agenda but to help unconditionally to the Sidr victims. Since the presence of an US troop to a third country always raise the eyebrow and controversy by default, I thought I would open a poll to know what was our BC members view and opine in this regard. Hope this explanation will help enough to restrain those who jumps on the bandwagon from labelling me of being a hardliner when our people need desperate help.

Nevertheless, I have an innocent, I repeat, an innocent question to be answered. Why do the US gorvernment need to send naval ship with the naval troop to help our Sidr victims? Couldn't have this help been performed in any other way? Like sending a cargo plane with loads of food and medical stuff, and with a medical and rehabilitation team for that matter? Why the naval army?

Sorry if this "innocent" question reflects my being ignorant, but as a "shadharon jonogon" my inquisiteveness knows no boundary.
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life

Last edited by Navarene; December 3, 2007 at 06:41 PM..
Old December 3, 2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarene
Ok, here is a clarification from my side to open this thread. I was strongly trying to be impersonal irrespective to what was my stand on this issue. .....

......Sorry if this "innocent" question reflects my being ignorant, but as a "shadharon jonogon" my inquisiteveness knows no boundary.
I have not taken this poll, and am not sure what my true opinion is. I am trying to use sense when I respond.

But Nav's additional comments has re-kindled my interest. Knowing Nav, I am not truly surprised with this left leaning (nothing wrong there, I suppose), somewhat academic oriented spin here (certainly nothing wrong there).

You mention a cargo plane..how much can that bring in? Ok, how about 20 cargo planes: from where?

Also, when emergency response means within days, what civilian entity could actually make it from the USA to meet the needs? Let me think, the Fairfax county first response medical unit? Let me think, what kind of red tape would that have required to be surmounted, even with federal push?

Also, had they sent 20 cargo planes (which by the way, Saddam's Iraq could have sent also) our begum moyna moti (ur) would still be harping - its a camoflouged planed, its a CIA agent disguised as a medic. And why do you think the USA is the USA, because its emergency response unit is equivalent to Saddam's Iraqi helicopter brigade? Maybe no, I think? Don't you?