facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 11, 2009, 01:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

riyad is actually performing so there's no reason to drop him, the ICLers had their chance to perform and never really did, if aftab and kapali and other ICLers are really that good and really want to play for their country then they will put up the required domestic performances to do so.

now comparing aftab and riyad for the test team, let's see: riyad has gotten quite a few wickets in the couple of tests he's played, aftab doesn't really bowl much and i don't think there is much doubt that riyad is the better bowler of the 2, when it comes to batting aftab has 1 domestic FC century, riyad has 4. riyad has a better FC batting record than aftab in more matches even if you take out the test matches from their stats.

Old August 11, 2009, 01:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
20/20
Rokibul
mehrab Jr
c'mon Nazmus Sadat! why isn't nazmus given more of ago in t20s? he's got the hitting ability and can also bowl a bit if they need another bowling option.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
PoorFan,

Bangladesh's playing stocks are not deep enough that we can reject anyone who played in the Packer Circus Mark Three. So, personally, I am more than prepared to rate achievements in the ICL by the players who went there.
OK, your point has been taken. And it should be taken in 20/20 format, even though its more than a year old performance.

But in TEST and ODI? We cant just drag them in whithout being tried in domestic game! can we? They havent played even para [street] cricket for years, how can we think of taking them in the team ATM?? I am not rejecting them at all, I am talking about the system / process of selection, otherwise their inclusion will do no good for BD, as well as for them.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

If you do have so-called "high talent" and don't perform well then you are a nothing. On the other hand, if you have less talent and deliver well then you are a good cricketer. Riad is a hard working cricketer who is delivering. People used to say that Shakib won't be able to continue his successful form. But he proved it wrong with his hard work. I hope Riad will do the same with the mercy of Allah.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:01 AM
BC Editorial Team

Uff eto biased commentating ...
Old August 11, 2009, 04:11 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
c'mon Nazmus Sadat! why isn't nazmus given more of ago in t20s? he's got the hitting ability and can also bowl a bit if they need another bowling option.

surely sadat can replace mehrab jr or rokibul in 20/20. i dont think tamim is too good at 20/20
also mushfiq should be replaced in 20/20
Old August 11, 2009, 06:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Riyad and Nayeem have been valuable additions to the team. But I can't help but think that there's only room for one of them in the team. What we need in our team is a finisher. Someone who can come in and blast the leather off the ball in the death. Mushfiq, Nayeem and Riyad are all fine batsmen but dont quite fit the bill. I can't see us chase down big totals consistently against the big teams without that 'x-factor.'
Old August 11, 2009, 06:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
Riyad and Nayeem have been valuable additions to the team. But I can't help but think that there's only room for one of them in the team. What we need in our team is a finisher. Someone who can come in and blast the leather off the ball in the death. Mushfiq, Nayeem and Riyad are all fine batsmen but dont quite fit the bill. I can't see us chase down big totals consistently against the big teams without that 'x-factor.'
Do we have anyone like that?
Old August 11, 2009, 07:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
naeem hit's the ball as good as anyone and he has the added bonus of his bowling. someone like alok, aftab or nazmus could play but unless they can contribute as much as naeem can with the ball then there isn't much point in playing any of them.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
PoorFan,

Bangladesh's playing stocks are not deep enough that we can reject anyone who played in the Packer Circus Mark Three. So, personally, I am more than prepared to rate achievements in the ICL by the players who went there.
bhai jaan, sobi bujlam, kintu packer circus mark three mane ki ta to bujlam na.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
bhai jaan, sobi bujlam, kintu packer circus mark three mane ki ta to bujlam na.
Does it look like Ian speaks Bangla? Have we seen anyone in Bangladesh named Ian?
Old August 11, 2009, 12:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Does it look like Ian speaks Bangla? Have we seen anyone in Bangladesh named Ian?
My bad. I did not pay attention to the nick much because anyone can have any nick. I just assumed he will speak bangla like most of us. he is not a bangladeshi then?
Old August 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
Test Cricketer

For the record, he's just referring to the ICL.

Kerry Packer's original World Series Cricket concept was regarded as a bit of a circus sideshow, much in the same way the ICL was during its brief life.

Of course, WSC eventually had a far more profound on the game than people imagined.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

[quote=IanW;955994]Beamer,

Yeah, I wasnt going to put that sort of wrap on the poor kid, comparing him to AB. But you really would put him with Afghanistan's older, tougher brother ?

No brother. I would not do that, yet. I still have some gray matters upstairs above my shoulder. What I was trying to say is that cricket has seen a plethora of people who were not fancied and projected to be great, but in the end have surpassed all expectations. Some were slow starters, playing on the periphery, but eventually became indispensable to a team. Senior Waugh was one such. We all assumed Pup, Petersen, Sachin etc to be great even before they became greats. But, for every one of them, there are also Younis Khan, Steve Waugh, Chaderpaul- of the world. Maybe we will get one or two of those as well. Sakib for sure, and maybe even Riyad..who knows. Things happen..
Old August 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

I like this part:

Quote:
excellent offspinner
Good point IanW. He is a touchy batsman. likes to play with the pace of the delivery just like an artist. Treat to watch. He can turn ball very nice but he has to work on his long hops. He would be much better bowler if he can adopt the quicker delivery. At times his flights are too much predictable.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Let me tell you why he doesn't have a place in test team:

1. Can you put him in top 6 batsman? If so, who are the other batsman? I simply do not find him. Because there are batsman like three top order (Junaed, Tamim, Kayes), Ashraful, Rakibul and Shakib. I guess there are also better technically as well as inperformance batsman like Kapali, Nafis Iqbal, Nayeem Islam. Even you take seven batsman he is not there.

2. Can he be within top 4 bowlers? If you take 3 pacers (in specific scenerio only two spinner), one spinner, it would be enamul junior or Rajjak. There is no difference between Nayeem and Riyad.

Can you see him in 20/20?

1. He doesn't have stroke to be fit in 20/20. You can look into all the chances even in 20/20 world cup or in WI.

Only place, he can be think of his ODI but look at his ODI bowling and economy? He is hard working, well to me this guy doesn't have a place. Even in both the ODI they played against Zimb, if Rajjak comes where do you see him?

In conclusion, I can do little bit bowling and little bit batting, these kind of alrounder will be in big trouble. You have to be very good in at least one side. We can argue but I simply don't see his place unless he improves. DO not compare him with Shakib, even during early stage, Shakib was very good ODI alrounder.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TI/Dwayne Bravo/Afridi

i love him

Mrs Mahmudullah Riyad
Old August 11, 2009, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Snake,

Much as I love Enamul and Razzak, they are both SLAs - same as Sakib.

Mahmadullah brings the ball into a right handed batsman, or away from the left hander. Variety is, in my view, an essential part of an attack, and thats what he brings.

So until he loses form, yeah, I'd pick him as the second spinner.

20/20 - I dont give a damn about 20/20 (heck, I barely care about ODIs. While I think the team can and will do the business against Zimbabwe in the current bullshit tour, a home Test series win against England is what I'm concentrating on).
Old August 11, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

However, end of the day...Ian surprises me over and over again. I haven't too many of seen such devoted fans among Bangladeshis.
Old August 11, 2009, 05:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
i love him
Looks like you have bedeshi competitor.

Go for it girl...eliminate the competitor. We are all in your corner.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:14 PM
Cricket Guru

naeem is probably the only player outside of the current test team who has a better FC batting record than riyad. guys like aftab, alok and even NI might be more talented but they haven't outperformed riyad with the bat in FC cricket. besides riyad bats at like 7 or 8 in the test team, that is a spot for an allrounder (preferably a bowling allrounder) or a bowler, playing a batsman that low is a waste of a spot. if riyad isn't to play test cricket his spot should either go to another allrounder (maybe someone like naeem or shuvo to a lesser extent) or a bowler.