facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old April 24, 2003, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Default 24-27 Apr 2003 - BAN vs SA - 1st Test - Day 2

I hope our bowlers make some early breakthroughs today. If the seamers can pick up a couple of wickets early on, our spinners can work through the rest of their batting. I am still hoping to keep them down to under 350. If we can do that, maybe we will avoid the innings defeat.

Edited on, May 9, 2005, 1:11 PM GMT, by radicalsami.

Old April 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

May be but don't you think they will be more energetic today and they might go beyond 350. I guess the wickets of Gibbs and Smith was due to the heat as they lost most of their energies during fielding.
Old April 24, 2003, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Of course they might go beyond 350 and most probably will. I am just hoping that they don't.
Old April 24, 2003, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Come to chat
Old April 24, 2003, 11:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Bowlers are trying their best but couldn''t do that much to SA strong batting. Enamul, Baisya and Mahmud are very economic at da moment.

The Score is South Africa 122/2 (34.0 ov)

Bowlers: O M R W Econ
Khaled Mahmud (RM) 6.0 3 8 0 1.33 (1nb, 0w)
Enamul Haque (SLA) 7 2 17 0 2.43 (0nb, 0w)
Old April 25, 2003, 12:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Moni's turning them like hell

Beaten Dippenaar twice in an over and ump went to 3rd ump with one

40.2 Khaled Mahmud to Rudolph, no run
Wonder why Mahmud is bowling now, he has other spin options in
Kapali and Ashraful - with the turn Enamul Haque got in the
previous over...

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Habibul_fan]
Old April 25, 2003, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Default DROPPED!

41.3 Alok Kapali to Dippenaar, one run, Dropped! Leg break - takes the
outside edge, skipper Mahmud drops an easy catch at first slip!

Our skipper can't bat, can't bowl, can't field, why is he in the team?
Old April 25, 2003, 12:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Cos the selectors suck?
Old April 25, 2003, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Commentator will get fired

Match State: Drinks

Enamul Haque to bowl from the other end
Very strange tactics or the lack of it

47.5 Alok Kapali to Rudolph, no run, pushed back to the bowler
These two batsmen have made this ordinary bowling look too good

48.1 Enamul Haque to Dippenaar, one run, Oh! Finally! Scrambles through
for a single - reaches his fifty. Boycott will be proud of
Dippenaar's batting effort

50.4 Mohammad Ashraful to Dippenaar, no run, left alone again, Dippenaar
been reading the copybook a bit too much these days

50.6 Mohammad Ashraful to Rudolph, no run, Rudolph is only two runs
(miles) away from his fifty, defends again

51.4 Alok Kapali to Dippenaar, no run, and defends
51.3 Alok Kapali to Dippenaar, no run, Dippenaar defends

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Habibul_fan]
Old April 25, 2003, 01:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Mommy. help, they are being too hard on us!

SOUTH AFRICA SITTING PRETTY
Boetta Dippenaar and Jacques Rudolf slowly but remorselessly ground a mediocre Bangladesh attack into the Chittangong dust, putting on an unbeaten 129 for the third wicket. South Africa added 86 in the session and lost no wicket.
After a cautious start, they tucked into friendly bowling that looked bereft of teeth and ideas, on a wicket where the ball kept low and turned.

Khaled Mahmud, the captain, set a bad example, striving for extra pace and bowling erratically both sides of the wicket. He served up a shoddy mix of full tosses and half-volleys, but escaped punishment when he strayed wide down the leg side or outside off. It was a frustrating morning for Bangladeshi supporters, in stark contrast to yesterday when the batsmen put up a fight.

Tapash Baisya and Mashrafe Mortaza opened the bowling in the morning, with Mortaza looking more in control of his rhythm than he did yesterday when he was thrashed for 43 off six overs. His three overs cost just 11 today, before he was hauled out of the attack.

Jacques Rudolph, unflustered on Test debut, and Boeta Dippenaar played straight and displayed nifty footwork. They avoided the sweep and took toll of the many loose balls on offer.

Rudolph took their third-wicket stand past the fifty mark with a stylishly executed cover drive to the fence off a juicy, wide half- volley from Baisya. The hundred of the partnership was brought up with another beautifully timed cover drive. His driving off the front foot was the highlight of the morning’s play.

Enamul Haque, the left-arm spinner, was brought on in the 30th over to replace Mortaza, and Rudolph, who stands erect at the point of delivery, greeted him with thump to the cover boundary.

Haque, his receding forehead glistening with sweat, disappointingly refused to flight the ball even as the pitch offered turn. In the 40th over, he spun two balls viciously across the face of Dippenaar’s bat, one of which needed the third umpire’s intervention for an attempted stumping.

But strangely, Mahmud switched Haque to the other end just when he looked penetrating from the Ispahani end. Alok Kapali, the leg spinner was brought on after an inexplicable delay, and Mahmud made Bangladesh’s morning worse by dropping Dippenaar at first slip, a position normally manned by Habibul Bashar. He was slow to react to a thick outside edge, casually grabbing at the ball flying to his left. Dippenaar was on 47.

That was one of the few moments of hope for a Bangladesh attack that looked hopelessly inadequate in their endeavour to get ten South African wickets, leave alone twenty in the match.

Old April 25, 2003, 02:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Default what happened to ashraful?

much too late to be watching this nonsense, but does anyone know why ashraful hasn't bowled much? wasn't spin going to be the theme today?

here's more brilliant bowler rotation: tapash comes into the attack, bowls 3 overs, the last 2 are maidens, and he is replaced by sujon who is now getting smacked around. he takes out fast bowlers just as they have warmed up.
Old April 25, 2003, 06:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Haven\'t seen a bad cricket than this!!!

280 runs scored in 90 overs and no wicket fell, is this how wes hould play?? Look like they gonna score 500 or 700 something in the 1st Innings., too bad. i don't feel like watching rest of the match. Two batsmen are leading thier way to gouble hundreds.

The Score at the moment:
South Africa 364/2 (112.0 ov)

HH Dippenaar (RHB) 131
JA Rudolph (LHB) 170

Test can't be worse than this for BD>
Old April 25, 2003, 07:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default so much for salim the better keeper...

fumbles an easy stumping....sigh....

and Mahmud misses an easy catch...double sigh...what is Mahmud doing?!?!...I seriously think we should consider dual captaincy for test and ODI...and sujon should not be in the test side. My vote for test captain is Bashar.
Old April 25, 2003, 07:52 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default No matter how bad the bowling ....

It's surprising how we can't take a single wicket or manage to take only one or two on a given day ... I'm sure their are far worse bowlers out there wth better luck then ours.

Since I didn't follow the match, can't comment of Shujon but reading the posts, it's obvious that he is out there to make Pilot look better. 3 overs and you're gone ? Dropped catches ? Not bringing in the spinners when the ball is spinning ? Come on. What's more basic than that ?
Old April 25, 2003, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Actually, I think what Sujon was trying to do with his bowler rotations was to give his pacers short spells in the Chittagong heat, especially in the afternoon session. I think that is justified. This is not England where the players need three overs to get warmed up.

However, I think Sujon is feeling pressured to do something spectacular since he knows that he doesn't justify a place. Therefore, since he didn't score with the bat, he is bowling himself too much. I would rather have seen Ashraful bowl twice as many overs and Sujon bowl half the overs he has bowled. I don't care about Sujon's economy, who needs economy when we can't take a single wicket all day long. Sujon's bowling poses absolutely no problems to the SA batsmen on this dead track.

Ultimately, we will just have to face the fact that Sujon should get dropped from the Test side. I fully endorse the plan of different captains for one-day and Tests and I also think that Sumon should be given the Test captaincy. Sooner the better.
Old April 25, 2003, 12:12 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I also did not follow the match from start to end, but wasn't it through Sujon's bowling that we could have taken 1 more wicket on Day One?

Only if the umpire had given the decision on the bowler's favor.

I think from the bowling point of view, Sujon did OK, except that he is bowling too much - like one of you said.

One day or another, Sujon will have to understand who is our main bowlers - pacers or spinners.
Old April 25, 2003, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

if you watched the match on tv, which i didn't, then maybe you are justified in thinking sujon bowled well. his economy was certainly ok but that was maybe because the south africans were ultra-conservative. but a couple of things that i picked up from circkinfo commenntary was that he repeatedly a) was trying to increase his pace when he didn't have any and b) bowling short deliveries and bouncers.

A negative end result of all this may be that by dropping Sujon the test player and test captain, we may also lose Sujon the one-day player who is infinitely more useful.

I always wonder when our captains are messing up, what is the coach's role in advising him during breaks?
Old April 25, 2003, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

this is one of the few BD test days that i've watched start to finish recently and man was it boring

Bowden stuffed up LBW, Salim missed stumping, Sujon dropped sitter did we actually deserve to get them out?

At least the run rates down a little so it might go into the 4th day. Interesting that shahid and DOORBIN aren't here aint it
Old April 26, 2003, 12:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well Doorbin bhai is here but I guess Shahid has gone for a long break. I think Shahid can't bear these humilating defeats unlike us.

[Edited on 26-4-2003 by ehsan]