facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old April 25, 2003, 11:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Default 24-27 Apr 2003 - BAN vs SA - 1st Test - Day 3

Today promises to be another embarassing day for Bangladesh cricket. If only we could get a couple of SA wickets before they declare and not get bowled out today, I'll be happy. We need to drag this on to the fourth day!

Edited on, May 9, 2005, 1:12 PM GMT, by radicalsami.

Old April 25, 2003, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

115.5 Tapash Baisya to Rudolph, no run, That one goes through like a rat
snake - all along the ground, Rudolph has a shocked look!

This is the third morning. Ridiculous!
Old April 25, 2003, 11:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

I dont think so..............

we are going to see another embarrassing defeat.....

Old April 26, 2003, 12:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Mahmud to bowl now
Mahmud bowls the slower version of the military medium pace, but
that will not stop him from attempting to bowl a few bouncers here

HAHAHAHA! We are a bunch of international jokers!
Old April 26, 2003, 12:36 AM
Cricket Legend

129.2 Enamul Haque to Dippenaar, SIX, This is insane cricket! Dippenaar
swings it high towards mid-wicket, the catch is taken - and the
silly man has one foot on the rope, which makes Bowden to raise
both his hands
Old April 26, 2003, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Default SA 470/2 Declared

Bangladesh trails by 297 runs, so its safe to say that SA will not have to bat again. More importantly, BD will have an uncomfortable 12 minutes of batting before lunch. I hope we can get past it without losing wickets.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

defeat? drag out to the fourth day? what are you guys talking about?

this has to be our worst test performance ever even though they declared before 500. how awful is it - they can't even get people in chittagong to attend.

this thing stinks, let's not hear about captains, BCB changes, investigations, up and coming players and all that other crap that we talk about on this board!!
Old April 26, 2003, 03:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Default BD 50 up!

Opee failed again, LBW to Pollock for 5, but Golla and Sumon have once again managed to build some sort of a partnership. This is looking very similar to the first innings. 47 overs remaining for the day. If BD is to last the overs out, these two will have to play the best part of them.
Old April 26, 2003, 04:08 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Sumon 48
Golla 29

Looks like Sumon getting his 50 again. Why cant others do it? If they cant do it in this dead wicket, where will they it!

And Sumon Golla should learn from Rudolph and Dippenaar. I wish they did learn something.
Old April 26, 2003, 04:18 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Sumon got his 50. Another amazing 50 from our mr. dependable.

I wish we has at least 2 more Sumon.
Old April 26, 2003, 05:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Golla really took advanage of some dismal bowling. He's on 70 at the moment
Old April 26, 2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Co Relation ....

All the talk about how PILOT and SUMON had a bad relationship gets new meaning when you look at this match.

What really happened between these two players ?
Old April 26, 2003, 07:24 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default 112 runs

Can we get those 112 runs ? Any thoughts ?
Old April 26, 2003, 07:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

You are right Rajputro. Sumon and Golla have definitely learnt something from Rudolph and Dippenaar.

The ball is rolling. Improvements are happening. But the problem is we are against the wall. We can't move back any more. We don't have much time to keep on learning.

It's a FAST world. People are impatient. No one will give us time. Everyone wants to see RESULTS. ASAP.

Am I getting impatient ?

NO.

Do I want results fast ?

Again, NO.

I am quite happy the way things are happening. I am happy as long as I can justify myself the Bangladesh Boys are improving. As a matter of fact, they ARE improving.

However, I wish things were a bit faster. And Whatmore will possibly make it happen.

----------------------------------------------------

On the 4th day, a lot will depend on Ashraful. I have a feeling he will remain unbeaten. But the big question is --- 'until what time' ? If he can continue upto 2pm.......................

Getting ready for Australia
Oh yeah!!!
Old April 26, 2003, 09:03 AM
Street Cricketer

i think on this third day our top order have shown that they can stay in the middle if they concentrate and use judgement. ashraful seems to have realised that its not worth blazing away from the first ball and his 12* from 71 balls has and will teach him a valuable lesson about batting in tests. its unfortunate that we lost quick wickets late in the evening

[Edited on 26-4-2003 by rezwan]
Old April 26, 2003, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

hello, people, wake up, these guys have played tests before. ashraful once played almost two hours (was it?) to get a run. he is the youngest test centurion. he didn't learn anything today. he was trying to apply old lessons.

as sham said, if they can't score on this god-awful wicket, where will they? I hope they send akram khan to prod and nudge for several hours tomorrow, instead of sujon. both will probably be out lbw to pollock or will misread adams. we will likely fall 10-20 runs short of the innings defeat, and I am being optimistic.

I guess batting-wise, the 3 50s helps, but bowling and captaincy wise this has to be the most pathtetic test in a long time for us. I don't see any improvement here at all.

Old April 26, 2003, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

I feel Ashraful is almost always put under undue pressure. I *think*( I haven't seen him yet, so this is all guesswork) he is a natural strokemaker and really is an offensive one at that. But often times he is told by the management to slow down and hold on to his wicket. He tries to do what he is told, but as a result he doesn't know what his natural game is any more. I could be beating around the bush here.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Kapali

Wt the hell is Alok Kapali upto? Wt has happened to him?? In the first innings he was out for a duck and then in the second innings he was out for 7. Wts wrong with this guy man >> did he forget how to play cricket after scoring 70 against SA in one day. Now Asraful and Mahmud has to stay in pitch until we get ahead of the trailing runs of 112. If at least these two can do this then only we might put up a score for the Africans and will eventually avoid an innings defeat.

I would really wanna appreciate Javed Omar and Habibul Bashar for their wonderfull innings. If Bashar could however stayed for a little longer to make his century that would have been a blessing for me. I'm sure if Bashar stayed for a little long then Javed Omar could have scored a little more. They should have built another good partnership like the South Africans but still the partnership they had wasn't bad for BD.

Mehrab was out for a lbw and that is why I wouldn't blame him for this that was his luck and the same thing applies for Salim but Kapali can't be forgiven for his batting after knowing the mighty score that was set by SA.

[Edited on 26-4-2003 by ehsan]
Old April 26, 2003, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Ehsan, chill out!

No one has forgotten how to bat. We HAVE to stop bringing people down everytime they fail. Kapali got a googly that he couldn't read and he got out. It happens. Hopefully he will do better next time.

Well played Sumon and Golla. Golla played a 183 balls, 30.3 overs. That is awesome. Ashraful is doing fine as well. I think though that the choice of nightwatchman was very poor. They shouldn't have sent a guy on debut, and especially someone we would have expected to score some runs. I would have sent out Tapash, someone who has a Test 50, been around for a little longer, and a wicket we can sacrifice.

But what is done is done. Now we have to look forward to the 4th day. Can we score 112? I think we can, but Ashraful will have to bat on for a while and Akram, Sujon and Moni will have to give him some support. However, knowing our team, we will probably fall about 20 runs short.

Arnab, you are definitely right. Ashraful is a natural strokemaker and he has to curb his natural instincts everytime he plays Test cricket. However, there is a reason for that. He tends to get carried away. Once he starts playing his shots and one or two come off, he plays one too many. And especially early on in his innings, it happens a lot. So I think its good that he is being a little reserved early on in his innings.

Rafiq bhai, I think you are being a little harsh. Our bowlers lack penetration, and that is a fact. But even Ntini is struggling on this wicket. This wicket is awful. So I don't really want to blame our bowlers and say that this is the worst bowling performance ever. Captaincy was pretty poor, I agree.

Anyway, at the start of the day, I said I wanted BD to take a couple of wickets before they declared and to last out the day. Well, I got half my wish so I am pretty happy.
Old April 26, 2003, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, at the end of the day, I am overjoyed for another reason. The unthinkable has happened. Dileep "the duffer" Premachandran had something positive to say about our effort. It was a whole sentence!!!
Old April 26, 2003, 02:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I agree with sham...choice of nightwatchman was very poor...I would have sent Masri....he seemed to read adams very well...in the first innings singled him out for some severe treatment and lost his wicket only coz he got over aggresive. oh well!...i wonder who should partner ashraful...i personally think that if akram can't come in next then moni should instead of shujon coz I seem to remember some innings where he had hung around for a while...but then what would it do to our captain's confidence! he really doesn't deserve to be in the team at the moment unless he can show other tomorrow...not by hitting a quickfire 40 but a solid sedate 35 even.
Old April 26, 2003, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Masri is more comfortable when he is having a bloody whack than when he has to block out for 3 or 4 overs. But anyway, it shouldn't have been Selim. Akram must come in before Mahmud. I would send Moni in before Mahmud as well.
Old April 26, 2003, 05:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Well done Golla and Sumon!

Where the hell was this side of Sumon just a few month earlier?

I know that our remaining batsmen are perfectly capable of scoring another 112 runs. But knowing them, the most likley outcome is that they'll score another 80-90 runs at most and finish the day before lunch.

The bowling conditions were bad, but we ought to have picked up a couple of wickets. Oh well,I am reasonably happy with the batting positives that came out of this match.

Old April 26, 2003, 07:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Wonderful innings by Golla and Sumon glad to see them back. Ashraful has to get a move on cos i think BD will be all out just after lunch. Lets hope i'm wrong

Did you hear the commentator when he was going"with this ordinary bowling attack BD can get a lead of 100 and maybe ever win the test"
Old April 26, 2003, 08:48 PM
Banned

3rd day dissapointment(s):

a) Neither Golla, nor Hasibul crossing into the 3 figure mark....

...nothing else !

I wouldn't crash on Ash for being slow ! Natural or not, a good player is a learned player, who plays as the situation demands. If the mgmt. wants him to play 200 balls for a 50, or 100 balls for a 20, I am all for it.

I've always thought that our pacers did well on the Chtg. turf ? What did they do to it this time ? We are trying to become like the Indians before anything - on the defensive from the word "go."