facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Default Goodbye Taufel

Simon Taufel to retire.

Why is no one talking about this? That's a HUGE loss! Please save us from Ashokas.

Old September 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I read that earlier today. There might be many arguments over who is the best batsmen or the best bowler since the turn of the century, but there is little argument over who is the best umpire. (And the ICC awards testify as much)
Old September 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

he def looks like the youngest one in ICC's elite panel of umpires.... why is he retiring?
Old September 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

He clearly raised the bar for other umpires. He was very friendly yet very strict in his decision. That's why all loved him.

Wish him all the best for his future endeavors.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I read that earlier today. There might be many arguments over who is the best batsmen or the best bowler since the turn of the century, but there is little argument over who is the best umpire. (And the ICC awards testify as much)
Triple winner and reigning champ Aleem Dar would disagree.

Of course Taufel won the 1st 5 awards...so he is in 'historical' terms the better ump, but Dar I think has usurped him the last couple of years.

Very good ump who made the tough decisions, got them right...and was respected by all, unlike say Daryl Harper or Darrell Hair

Last edited by F6_Turbo; September 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM..
Old September 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

He was one of my favourite umpires! And the best in the business. He will be missed.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old September 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

True, nowadays Alem Dar is better. I think Dar has more character than Taufel. Taufel seems a bit dull.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
True, nowadays Alem Dar is better. I think Dar has more character than Taufel. Taufel seems a bit dull.
No one can beat 'Asad Rouf' in terms of colorful character. Recently he was on the newspaper for his off field act
Old September 27, 2012, 02:58 AM
MLC World Series I

This is a huge loss, wishing him all the best in his future endeavors.

No one comes close to him as the best umpire IMO. Perhaps, Aleem Dar at best.
Old September 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

So what's the new English language proficiency test called?
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

^ AJLST- Ananto Jalil Listening and Speaking Test.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Alem Dar is sometimes more accurate than hotspot/snikko. During WC2011 barely any of his call got over turned by UDRS.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
Cricket Savant

jau ekhon boshe boshe toffee khau
Old September 29, 2012, 03:48 AM

A loss for us, Bangladeshis.
And Dilu is bloody right here! The "Ashokas" will run the shows now - we are doomed like hell!!
Old September 29, 2012, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

One of my favourite umpires, the other being Billy Bowden. That's an immense loss. Dharmasena
Old October 2, 2012, 01:11 AM
Street Cricketer

Hi everyone Taufle is nice umpire and great personality , international cricket must miss him .... such a good umpire are very much low quantity in international cricket , anyhow best of luck Taufle you are nice person also ..... we will you all
Old October 2, 2012, 01:45 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Number-marka userIDs only hints me one and one EX name only...
Old October 6, 2012, 08:13 AM
MLC World Series I

Daryl Harper's tribute.

Quote:
Hats off to Taufel

He may have wanted to keep his cap on at all times, but the world cricket community is united in doffing its collective headgear to one of the finest umpires of them all
Daryl Harper
October 6, 2012

A basic tenet in cricket is about respecting and agreeing with the umpire's decision. In the case of Simon Taufel, players generally agree with him on almost every occasion. They accept his decisions because a very good percentage of them are correct - and this has been mostly also validated by technology. But that is only part of the reason.

A lot of that respect comes because Simon has a measured and methodical way of dealing with people. He generally ensures that he keeps emotion out of the discussion - not easy to do in the middle of a Test match when something is going on and you are not happy about it. Simon has usually been able to satisfy both sides if there is an incident, and people have been confident in his ability to keep doing that. Personally, I was more emotional in contrast. That is a major difference when it comes to gaining respect from players and coaches. Simon knows when to talk and when to keep quiet.

Read More ..
Old October 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Club Cricketer

With the introduction of DRS I think the on-field umpires can't be judged any more as the decisions are made by flicking through video frames although they do play a part in caught behind decisions. Even then they can be challenged. If any thing, credits should go to the third umpire. Some of the reviewed decisions are touch-and-go. With that being said, it is of course good for the game because the decisions are now lot fairer and clearer.

I always thought Simon Taufel is a good umpire. Thank God he's not calling it quits at similar age as Bucknell.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:35 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ That's not true. Because on-field umps still have make the decisions first. And then the teams will decide if they want to use DRS or not. If anything DRS will help us judge the umps better. We'll get to see how horrible/good decision makers they are "by flicking through video frames."

It was awesome when Dar and Taufel umpired together. They were the 3rd team on the field. All the players would be going nuts, calling for DRS and both of those 2 would have the last laugh with the DRS. And not to mention the competition between themselves.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Old October 6, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cricket Sage

So is tomorrow his last game for sure?
Old October 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

a legendary umpire, no doubt, one of my favorites and clearly a well wisher of Bangladesh Cricket.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:38 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good bye Taufel.
You are a legend.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
^ That's not true. Because on-field umps still have make the decisions first. And then the teams will decide if they want to use DRS or not. If anything DRS will help us judge the umps better. We'll get to see how horrible/good decision makers they are "by flicking through video frames."

It was awesome when Dar and Taufel umpired together. They were the 3rd team on the field. All the players would be going nuts, calling for DRS and both of those 2 would have the last laugh with the DRS. And not to mention the competition between themselves.
Sure they have to make the decisions first but their decisions can be overturned. Back in the days whatever they decided would hold to be true even the run outs. Without the video frames you can truly judge how well they are doing on the field with their naked eyes. We could only tell how much of an arse they made of themselves only after they showed the replay either in the news or during the game voiced over by the commentators comments. You could pass a judgment on their on-field work. That's history now.

These days, they have very little control over major decisions. Run outs, LBW, caught-behind and all are reviewed despite umpire's initial decisions. Their roles have been limited to watching for no balls and in effect house-keeping on the field. Much of their work, for which I can either applaud him or throw a shoe at him, have been taken away from them. So I cant really point my fingers at them anymore. Don't get me wrong. We can get the fairest decisions which is good for the game. But when it comes reviewing their performance on field I can't really say he did well because the decisions that can either be a pivotal one is now passed to third umpire.