facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old November 24, 2014, 11:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Default Lionel Messi worship thread.

Messi at the age of 27 recently overtook the highest goals scored ever in la liga by Zarra. Though the former lead scorer did it in fewer games....

Regardless, I have a new found love for Messi with recent following of La liga....

This guy is the greatest footballer ever born, I have never seen anyone ever play as beautifully..... I think Maradona was only half as good (though it is unfair to compare people from two different era).

It's a shame Argentina didn't yet win a single world cup with him on. And last 3 WC with Messi on, in all instances it was Germany that stopped them from advancing.

Old November 24, 2014, 11:20 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Maradona is the best. Messi did not deliver in the WC.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Maradona is the best. Messi did not deliver in the WC.
there are football outside world cup... Yes for an Argentinian, nonsensical patriotic emotion like the above you mentioned is understandable but from a pure football lover what you wrote above has little value.

And messi did deliver... Argentina was the runner up. It was one of the toughest German opponent in history....you know the team that exposed the world cup host on who are they up against...

One player do not make a team.

Just appreciate his game, you don't have to like argentina, you don't have to like barcelona.. just watch this guys game just for sheer love of football, and maybe you can appreciate it...

Since i am following la liga i acutally support Real madrid over barca but i can't get enough of Messi.... He is an artist..
Old November 24, 2014, 11:32 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

I think you are new to football.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

http://youtu.be/eOuyyWfznYw?t=2m46s

My favorite ...apparently at age 19... : bow down:
Old November 24, 2014, 11:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I think you are new to football.
try playing me...its a challenge...

Dont' assume anything just because i don't talk about it...
Old November 24, 2014, 11:43 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Dont' assume anything just because i don't talk about it...
Don't assume that I am not a fan of Messi because I say Maradona is better. You still sound like a noob who started watching football from 2006.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Don't assume that I am not a fan of Messi because I say Maradona is better. You still sound like a noob who started watching football from 2006.
Right..

At age 8, I won my first sport trophy playing football tournament. I grew up predominantly in a hispanic neighborhood, where i played soccer with the local kids every day. Seeing me play, one of my neighbor bought me a soccer ball..and told me to practice with him in his back yard. I am a right hander, and was practicing my left foot kicks.. his ball popped when I shot the ball with my left foot hitting his wall.
I sustained a back injury while playing soccer around the age of 11...since then my parents stopped me from playing anymore.. and i was afraid too...

Soocer is in my blood... I could still probably knock you out with my left footer even though I haven't been playing for close to 20 years. Cricket i can't even hold the bat...

anyways, jadukor you are just a silly person.... talking about Maradona in a messi worship thread... keep the negativity out ok?
Old November 25, 2014, 12:19 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Thanks for your life (yawn) history. You are no fun trolling. Ami gelam.

Ps since you have a lot of free time now.. watch 1986 wc.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Please change the blasphemous thread title! Thanks.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thanks for your life (yawn) history. You are no fun trolling. Ami gelam.

Ps since you have a lot of free time now.. watch 1986 wc.
You still don't get it do you? Why you talking about 1986 wc in a Messi thread? Messi wasn't even born then.....

You are just showing your age.. Don't hang on to the past my friend....

Trolling is only fun when you can get under the other person's skin... you have a long way to go my friend.... keep trying...
Old November 25, 2014, 03:26 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

I think you got hit by a football by your friend Pablo when you were young. You clearly do not remember your opening "noob" post. Here it is:
Quote:

Regardless, I have a new found love for Messi with recent following of La liga....

This guy is the greatest footballer ever born, I have never seen anyone ever play as beautifully..... I think Maradona was only half as good (though it is unfair to compare people from two different era).
Quote:
You still don't get it do you? Why you talking about 1986 wc in a Messi thread? Messi wasn't even born then.....

Old November 25, 2014, 03:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

I am a huge fan of Maradona (the footballer not the mad man) and for me he is, undoubtedly, the footballing king of the modern era. Romario, Ronaldinho or Zidane came close to challenge him for his crown. But, I don't think anybody posed a serious threat as Messi does. I have given up football about 20 years ago but watching Messi on very rare occasions has given me a lot of joy. No doubt, he has modelled his game around Diego. I would still keep Maradona ahead in play making, "seeing", finishing and dribbling skills. He was the original. But, Messi still has a few years ahead of him.

I absolutely agree with Orphy about the World Cup being not everything and the strength of that German side.

I, also, agree with Gopal the troll (a rarity) about the use of "worship" -even, though, its not necessarily a blasphemy in English sense of the word. But, still, it would be wise not to use such as it may promote celebrity or human worshiping and takes away the significance the word carries.
Old November 25, 2014, 03:44 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Messi comes close but he has played for the best team in the world with the likes of Xavi, Inniesta etc providing support. In National colors he needs to do more. La Liga also has weak teams that Real Madrid and Barcelona frequently bully. So clips of those goals look amazing but one has to consider the quality of the defenders

More importantly what kinda weird name is orphy? Is it inspired from borfy, that desert thing ppl made during Shab e barat?
(someone will scream bedaat now)
Old November 25, 2014, 04:14 AM
Cricket Guru

La Liga is the best league in the world right now. Even their bottom teams will beat many national sides. Every league always had their "weak" side...even Serie A where Maradona or an over-weight Maradona used to terrorize defences regularly. Yes, Messi must deliver in the next WC to go down in history as an equal to Deigo. That will definitely help his case.

Orphy is definitely not borfy, bhai. Although, it sounds sweet, too. Orphy as in "Orpheus er banshuri". Nuance tuance ektu shomriddho koren bhai. Shudhu trickery ar gutaguti korle to cholbe na.
Old November 25, 2014, 04:51 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

English Premier League is the best league in the world. Quite a few teams can win trophies there (upto six very closely matched teams). Its never a two horse race like la liga (with the exception of athletico madrid of course).
La Liga comes in 3rd.
Old November 25, 2014, 08:13 AM
Cricket Legend

jadukor you have a point when you say some of those la liga teams are ordinary. But like BCF bhai says every league in the world has handful of clubs that usually dominate that particular league.

Just because you recognize all the teams in english premiere league and of their "equal competitiveness" do not make it the best, Dont let the british media fool you. I think all those teams are equally ordinary.

Bangladesh at one point had great clubs like mohamedan, abahoni, kolabagan etc and they were competitive in that league.... and they had a massive following.... but that alone wouldnt make them a better league than lets say a japanese one.... i think EPL has that.. great following great rivalry... and buch of great loud mouths... i think those put together sometimes can skew ones judgement.

Maybe you can argue somewhat German league is slightly better... maybe.

Anyways , regarding quality of defense comment i think is a very poor argument... it is extremely difficult to dribble your way out just by putting extra bodies around a player and good players usually get those extra bodies which opens up other players for great assist in goals... what exceptional about both messi and maradona is despite 3 or 4 players huddling around them, they can get out of those tight situation and either make a goal themselves or assist and as a defender you dont know what they gonna do...

and i feel watching these two great, messi' dribbling ability is slighty better and he is able to create that confusion even in the best defense.... Maradona was certainly the best in his time and to this day among ppl who fell in love with him but many people focus a lot on results than the ability itself.... his era was special... all of a sudden everyone had tv and they were watching live football that creates an awe moment ...

these days youtube is there all the clips are there and eventhough it is difficult to compare greats of different era, it is still somewhat possible to judge lets say who is better at free kicks eventhough they might not have ever played in same era..

just my opinion.
Old November 25, 2014, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Maradona to his credit not only was a great player but he also had passion, grit, pride.. a lot of that can be seen in th way he played and u can see he "gave his all" ... I usually dont get that feeling in Messi... missi is just extremely blessed with talent ... but still awe to watch...

but those emotion i spoke above, he doesnt elicit atleast i dont feel it and a lot of ppl dont, maybe thats one of the reason that a lot of argentinians dont like him that much.... i worked with an argentinian native who coaches soccer here in us... and talking to him u get a similar negativity about messi....
Old November 25, 2014, 09:38 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

There is no comparison between Maradona and Messi if you talk about passion only. Maradona was extremely passionate about his country's football. The way he used to celebrate after scoring or after every wins says a lot about him. And i can never forget how he left the field in tears back in 90. I Just don't feel the same about Messi.

But Messi is extremely talented. This guy can make the ball talk. He is the next best thing after Maradona. It will be really heartbreaking to see him hanging up his international boots and not winning a world cup. Yes world cup is not everything but winning a world cup is the highest honor one can ever achieve. And Messi deserves it more than anyone playing at this moment. Neymar, Ronaldo are all talented but nowhere near him. Let's hope that he can lift the trophy in Russia.

And I agree with BCF bhai about the title
Old November 25, 2014, 02:14 PM
Cricket Guru

On a second thought, I would also put Bundesliga just ahead of La Liga which was, undoubtedly, the best league a few years ago. Two years ago I ,actually, went to the ground to watch Freiburg hosting Bayer Leverkusen which ended in a draw. But, Frieburg being such a small club still played very good football -technically speaking.

English League is "competitive" but full of sub-standard players compared to other major European leagues. Somewhat "competitive" akin to a Bangladesh v Zimbabwe series. Until recently English brand of football was a physical and long ball "playing in the sky" one. Technique or "beautiful football" wasn't on the agenda. And, the result is England not winning anything since 1966. That should be a major pointer. Where Italy, Germany and Spain has won major tournaments.

Back to Maradona - Messi debate; the game has gone through a lot of changes since the days of Diego. The major one being clamping down on the "razors", the "killers", the "butchers" i.e the defenders. They cannot hack down an attacking player anymore like they used to do back in the days. Red cards shown for fouls nowadays wouldn't even have seen the yellow cards then. As a result, attacking, skilful and flair players can express themselves on the pitch without worrying much about ending up with a career ending "tackle". Which makes a HUGE difference. The playmakers and centre forwards are much more "protected".

Said that, Messi is still a very special one and I think he would have done equally well in that era. Perhaps, wouldn't have been allowed that much of "show-boating" on the pitch, though. Maradona would be unstoppable in todays "working conditions" -not that many were able to stop him anyway. And, he had bucket-loads of charisma to boot and a "hand of God" to go with it.
Old November 25, 2014, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Bcf bhai good point on referee being more lenient back then...these days any tackle that touches opponent body part is automatic yellow card. Despite that on field a lot of players who are defending against messi lose their temper and play dirty ...or just gets physical with him out of frustration.
Old November 25, 2014, 08:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

La Liga is undoubtedly the best league in the world right. They have the best youth set ups and also develop the most world class players plus it is very competitive and on top of that are able to attract the best players around the globe. La Liga is a 3 horse race for the title with Real Madrid, Barca AND Atletico and just because these 3 teams have the ability to beat other La Liga teams 3-0 on a consistent basis doesn't mean the lower teams are bad or are very underpar and that the league is not competitive or not as entertaining.

Its more the fact that those 3 teams are just superb but teams like Sevilla, Valencia, Malaga, Villareal, Athletic Club are quality as well and have proven to be much better than the mid table teams in the EPL such as Newcastle, West Ham, Swansea etc. If we take away Real, Barca and Atletico are you then gonna say "Oh La Liga is the best cos its now competitive". Thats just being irrational imo. You have to look at is as if "Oh La Liga have 3 world class teams but still the other mid tiers teams are quality teams as well" but clearly not in the level as the top 3. Btw from what im watching a team like Sevilla would beat teams like Tottenham and Liverpool (who are traditionally meant to be the better teams of the EPL).

I might seem to be biased but i enjoy just as much EPL compared to La Liga and i do enjoy watching EPL. People might say La Liga is uncompetitive but that is a load of lies because La Liga mid table has always been very competitive and the mid table teams have always been technically more superior than EPL teams. People saying things like La Liga being uncompetitive clearly haven't watched the likes of Sevilla vs Valencia or Malaga vs Villareal because its far more better and the football is much more technical as opposed to watching teams like Swansea vs West Ham or Tottenham vs Newcastle etc. If you don't believe me that La Liga mid table is far better than the mid placed tables of every other club in every league around the world then just let facts speak for itself.

All people know the Europa League is pretty much the battle of the every leagues "middle table teams". Traditionally it has worked out to be that all the best teams of the European leagues are in the Champions League and the average teams of the European leagues are in the Europa League. In the past 11 years, 6 of the years La Liga teams have won the Europa League (Sevilla, Atletico and Valencia). The other five years pretty much were won by top flights footballing teams that feature in the Champions League on a consistent basis such as Chelsea, Porto, Shaktar, Zenit and Moscow.

Thus it shows for teams like Sevilla, Atletico and Valencia (who are mid table teams in La Liga) to beat top flight teams and win more Europa titles than any other league shows how much quality La Liga has. Thus think twice before saying "teams like Barca and Real thrash the smaller clubs in the league with messi running past 11 guys" because frankly 1. The smaller clubs in La Liga are better than the best clubs in most leagues and 2. If you watched football in general then you would know teams like Barca and Real dont rely on just 1 or 2 guys to win matches.

People without knowledge of football say oh Ronaldo and Messi just run around players cos defence in La Liga is crap. Utter bs. Lets not forget Ronaldo and Messi are top scorers in Champions League so if they "run around players" in La Liga then they also "run around players" against teams in Champions League as well, implying they can just "run around" every team in the world. And it becomes stupid to say EPL teams are better because you will never ever hear of teams such as Tottenham, Liverpool, Swansea, West Ham and Newcastle to ever be in the running for the Europa League title. Chelsea is the only EPL team within the past 11 years to win the Europa League and Chelsea is considered to be the best EPL team alongside Man City. That says a lot tbh.

And lets be frank here. EPL pretty much rely on La Liga talent. EPLs best players have come from La Liga whereas only Real Madrid and Barca buy EPL talent (Ronaldo, Bale, Varmaelen, Modric and Suarez). Lets not forget the best EPL players are majority La Liga talents e.g. Aguero, David Silva, Jesus Navas, Diego Costa, Negredo, Jovetic, Michu, Alexis Sanchez, Ozil, Di Maria, Falcao, Torres, Vargas, Courtois, Filipe Luis, Soldado, Alderweireld, Herrera, Mata, Eto'o and so on (i think ppl get the drift lol). So besides La Liga triumphing in terms of performances and results they are also proven to produce and develop the worlds best talent.

Hence putting all this factors together this shows without a doubt that La Liga is the best league in the world and people need to accept it. Better league doesn't just take into account entertainment and competitiveness (which is the excuse EPL lovers use to justify why EPL is better) but rather it is the whole package.

Last edited by BengaliPagol; November 25, 2014 at 09:30 PM..
Old November 25, 2014, 08:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Nice essay BP. Not to put jadukor on the spot the way he tried to shoot me down, anyone who says english league is the best in the world currently obviously have some lack of understanding on some aspect of football.... and it's not a difficult game to understand.

And many fans are irrational, so anyone who talks crap about likes of Messi or even to some extent C. Ronaldo is just a troll in my opinion...

Messi is a gift to this Football generation really....and anyone that loves football..

World cup are my favorite time, a lot of expert comes out of the woodwork.... I watched WC games with few folks some friends and few folks that i work with.... and I was called a Nazi for saying Germany has the most beautiful team in this wc that;s why I been supporting them for a while now... and they all talk same... say things like Germany are like machine blah blah blah.... Brazill brazil neymer the the best... nobody comes close.... C. ronaldo drama, messi over rated blah blah blah.... so I watched the final by myself at home and thorouhly enjoyed it.

Fans are just dumb.... Dumb in me comes out when US plays though...... I did say US belongs in top 4 :p
Old November 25, 2014, 09:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Nice essay BP. Not to put jadukor on the spot the way he tried to shoot me down, anyone who says english league is the best in the world currently obviously have some lack of understanding on some aspect of football.... and it's not a difficult game to understand.

And many fans are irrational, so anyone who talks crap about likes of Messi or even to some extent C. Ronaldo is just a troll in my opinion...
Yeah exactly thats what i feel like people saying EPL is better does lack some sort of understanding in football. Plus besides all the La Liga talents EPL might taken, La Liga in this generation have produced all time legends all on their own with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi like it doesn't even come close to EPL. It shows how La Liga is far more technical and if you achieve success in La Liga you are bound to achieve success in any other league in the world. And even up and comers like Isco, Cavajal, Varane, Rakitic, Illara etc. are gonna be household names in the future footballing scene are all La Liga bred. Its just incomparable to what EPL produce. And then you have players like David Villa, Sergio Ramos, Aguero etc. who were all essentially developed by 'smaller clubs' of La Liga and then bought by big clubs. Plus despite people might say omfg Real Madrid and Barca spend and spend the real truth is that EPL as a whole have spend $400 million on player transfers more than La Liga teams have. This clearly implies La Liga is the best in terms of quality and in terms of developing young players into world class players and don't necessarily rely on spending to get the best players.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
La Liga is undoubtedly the best league in the world right. They have the best youth set ups and also develop the most world class players plus it is very competitive and on top of that are able to attract the best players around the globe. La Liga is a 3 horse race for the title with Real Madrid, Barca AND Atletico and just because these 3 teams have the ability to beat other La Liga teams 3-0 on a consistent basis doesn't mean the lower teams are bad or are very underpar and that the league is not competitive or not as entertaining.

Its more the fact that those 3 teams are just superb but teams like Sevilla, Valencia, Malaga, Villareal, Athletic Club are quality as well and have proven to be much better than the mid table teams in the EPL such as Newcastle, West Ham, Swansea etc. If we take away Real, Barca and Atletico are you then gonna say "Oh La Liga is the best cos its now competitive". Thats just being irrational imo. You have to look at is as if "Oh La Liga have 3 world class teams but still the other mid tiers teams are quality teams as well" but clearly not in the level as the top 3. Btw from what im watching a team like Sevilla would beat teams like Tottenham and Liverpool (who are traditionally meant to be the better teams of the EPL).

I might seem to be biased but i enjoy just as much EPL compared to La Liga and i do enjoy watching EPL. People might say La Liga is uncompetitive but that is a load of lies because La Liga mid table has always been very competitive and the mid table teams have always been technically more superior than EPL teams. People saying things like La Liga being uncompetitive clearly haven't watched the likes of Sevilla vs Valencia or Malaga vs Villareal because its far more better and the football is much more technical as opposed to watching teams like Swansea vs West Ham or Tottenham vs Newcastle etc. If you don't believe me that La Liga mid table is far better than the mid placed tables of every other club in every league around the world then just let facts speak for itself.

All people know the Europa League is pretty much the battle of the every leagues "middle table teams". Traditionally it has worked out to be that all the best teams of the European leagues are in the Champions League and the average teams of the European leagues are in the Europa League. In the past 11 years, 6 of the years La Liga teams have won the Europa League (Sevilla, Atletico and Valencia). The other five years pretty much were won by top flights footballing teams that feature in the Champions League on a consistent basis such as Chelsea, Porto, Shaktar, Zenit and Moscow.

Thus it shows for teams like Sevilla, Atletico and Valencia (who are mid table teams in La Liga) to beat top flight teams and win more Europa titles than any other league shows how much quality La Liga has. Thus think twice before saying "teams like Barca and Real thrash the smaller clubs in the league with messi running past 11 guys" because frankly 1. The smaller clubs in La Liga are better than the best clubs in most leagues and 2. If you watched football in general then you would know teams like Barca and Real dont rely on just 1 or 2 guys to win matches.

People without knowledge of football say oh Ronaldo and Messi just run around players cos defence in La Liga is crap. Utter bs. Lets not forget Ronaldo and Messi are top scorers in Champions League so if they "run around players" in La Liga then they also "run around players" against teams in Champions League as well, implying they can just "run around" every team in the world. And it becomes stupid to say EPL teams are better because you will never ever hear of teams such as Tottenham, Liverpool, Swansea, West Ham and Newcastle to ever be in the running for the Europa League title. Chelsea is the only EPL team within the past 11 years to win the Europa League and Chelsea is considered to be the best EPL team alongside Man City. That says a lot tbh.

And lets be frank here. EPL pretty much rely on La Liga talent. EPLs best players have come from La Liga whereas only Real Madrid and Barca buy EPL talent (Ronaldo, Bale, Varmaelen, Modric and Suarez). Lets not forget the best EPL players are majority La Liga talents e.g. Aguero, David Silva, Jesus Navas, Diego Costa, Negredo, Jovetic, Michu, Alexis Sanchez, Ozil, Di Maria, Falcao, Torres, Vargas, Courtois, Filipe Luis, Soldado, Alderweireld, Herrera, Mata, Eto'o and so on (i think ppl get the drift lol). So besides La Liga triumphing in terms of performances and results they are also proven to produce and develop the worlds best talent.

Hence putting all this factors together this shows without a doubt that La Liga is the best league in the world and people need to accept it. Better league doesn't just take into account entertainment and competitiveness (which is the excuse EPL lovers use to justify why EPL is better) but rather it is the whole package.
Front page!!!!