facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old October 3, 2008, 04:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe
Default Why Cricket Fans Dont Like Baseball?

Cricket and Baseball are similar sports, at least by the lay mind. However, those who passionately follow cricket, dont necessarily share the same passion for baseball.

Im speaking to those in the USA obviously. I have seen that US cricket fans are more interested in basketball, football, or other sports but not too many going all out for baseball. For some reason, it has NOT translated over to the US fans...I have seen many of you speak about cricket pretty expertly, and I can say u r very well following a sport oceans across from you...where u DONT watch a game live in a stadium EVER, ur fan base is scattered and most of u BC members almost never meet up in the US...yet somehow u have developed a sport that is foriegn to the USA..to the point most of u guys write in these forums pretty often.

Yet that passion cannot be even seen for NBA if I must say...or for that matter, any other american watched sport. In that respect, u guys are an anomaly...an eccentric class of men, a devout cricket fan from another continent who dont even recognize the sport...Y u men take such pain? Y not just..follow a sport more closer and similar?

BY the way, I am a hypocrite cuz I live in a city with two baseball powerhouses...The Los Angeles DOdgers and Anaheim Angels...and I still watch follow cricket with passion and fervor. But just for kicks...why?????

Old October 3, 2008, 08:42 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Fazal bhai apnar "Yogi Berra" koi gelo
Old October 3, 2008, 08:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I use to follow Baseball. Was a huge fan of Nolan Ryan. Cal Ripkin.

Then the druggies spoiled every thing for me. Do not follow Baseball any more.
Old October 3, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Baseball is a poor cousin of cricket. Why to follow an inferior when you have the access to the best?
Old October 3, 2008, 11:20 AM
Cricket Sage

cricket er sathe nijer shorir er rokter taan asee aie jonno..

i watch the red sox play once in a while..but let me tell u..it's still worth waking up at 5 in the morning to see the BD boys play...
Old October 3, 2008, 11:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I first saw baseball bat when some one was using it as weapon...I know it sounds weird. but what else would they do with it. But a thought came to my mind when I saw Mushy's picture where he was practicing with a stump. Cricketer can also use baseball bat also.....no....or is it another weird thought.....what someone has tried it already........was it flop then.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:54 AM
BC Editorial Team

Cricket is to baseball what chess is to checkers
Old October 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

How to play this game? I wanna play,
Ke khelbe, aho amar loge,
Old October 3, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

I watch the Jays every now and then. Same with cricket. I watch BD every now and then. So i guess i treat them fairly.
Old October 3, 2008, 03:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
Cricket is to baseball what chess is to checkers
It's the Complete Opposite, It's alot easier to Comprehend Cricket than it is Baseball, I live in New York so I've been Spoiled to Greatness in most US Sports but in New York ... Baseball >>>>

Cricket has a more sense of Nationalism, There is a chance for Bangladesh to be #1, so thats why I follow it and the Underdog/Minnow status has a certain Aura about it.

lol @ LA being a Baseball powerhouse, you Stole a Team from Brooklyn, than took a Great Manager from the Bronx and than signed a bunch of former BoSox.

Angles have a NY owner, he learned to Strive for the Best
Old October 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

I am a HUGE Braves and Hawks fan as well as a big fan of cricket.
Old October 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
How to play this game? I wanna play,
Ke khelbe, aho amar loge,
Chess or checkers?If chess go to http://www.chess.com
Old October 3, 2008, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

I watch baseball sometimes but cricket,my favorite I started playing cricket when I was like 4 or 5.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

I know its an odd thing to say since they're both bat-and-ball sports, but I dont find the two sports to be similar at all. I've played both, and let me tell you, baseball should have died out a LONG time ago. A lot of the Americans i talk to seem to think Cricket is boring, and i dont understand that at all because most of them like baseball (which is, to me at least, AGONIZING). At least theres something to watch in cricket, even in test cricket. Even if runs aren't scored every ball, at least the bat *connects* with the ball on most occasions. It isnt uncommon in baseball to go 10 minutes watching strike after strike after strike. And dont forget what they call a "ball", baseballs "wide" equivalent. There are more of those in the first 15 minutes of a baseball game than in an entire ODI match...And all this is coming from a guy living in boston, where EVERYONE is crazy about the sport. I just dont get it...

Eh, what the heck...GO BoSOX!!
Old October 5, 2008, 03:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

BCoz it's played in two different parts & cultures altogether. It is only recently that one is getting to know about the other game, specially in the Subcontinent. I played baseball in my school & also cricket and I used to like both, but couldn't follow BB while Crick was all around me over the years, so the interest in BB didn't last much after school as a player & neither as a fan.

The statement opposite to yours (Thread Opener) is equally right, for the same reasons. If a person can like combinations of Cricket & VB, Crick & BktB, Crick & FB etc etc, why not BasB which is to some extent more closer (yet quiet different from crick, though) to cricket than any other sports mentioned above.
Old October 5, 2008, 04:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

I am british and i sat down one day to watch a game of baseball n found it so boring and pointless..the batsman keep getting out, whats the bloody point?!?! I dont know what the craze is, thats americans for u ey..
Old October 6, 2008, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Baseball is just a lame version of cricket and as someone rightly said in this thread why follow something inferior when you have access to the very best.

Basketball is my favourite US sport. Fast paced, heart thrilling, non-stop action no reason not to like it.

50/50 on US football, sometimes I find it intriguing but sometimes I just don't get it.

I find Ice Hockey boring(no offence to Sohel_NR), violent and pointless.
Old October 6, 2008, 01:07 PM
Cricket Savant

well it mainly depends where you are brought up....i have seen from my experience that most of the bangladeshis who have migrated here at early age did pick up american sports but those of us like me who have come here late, cant seem to forcefully like american sports....it has to come from heart....naturally...

in fact, the opposite could also be asked: Why do the Bangladeshi-Americans like baseball and dislike cricket so much? Is it because they think it will make them lesser of a 'g' or 'uncool' to do so?.....dunno

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 7, 2008, 07:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Well, I've been living here for around 25 years (ever since i was a kid) and i still havent been able to pick up baseball. I follow most American sports (football, basketball, ice hockey you name it) but baseball is just physically painful to watch...at least for me. And its not like i was biased because i liked cricket. At that point i hadnt even heard of cricket (i was pretty young at the time). It hasnt been all that long since i started watching cricket now that i think about it....round about 10 years...

I do understand where youre coming from though. I guess im the odd one out. My brother, for example, ADORES baseball...
Old October 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

How old were you?
Old October 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

baseball is just rubbish. murkin rubbish.