facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 27, 2018, 03:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib
Default Parent Zone

Hi and Salam to all.

I just thought of having a thread to discuss about our kids and how we are bringing them up.

Allhamdullilah I have been blessed with a boy who has turned 7 this year. He was born in the UK, however I always make him aware of his Bangladeshi heritage.

At home we speak to him mostly in Bangla. He understands alot but we encourage him more to answer.

I and my brother in laws practise playing cricket with him back yard. Maybe next year I might put him in a cricket club for proper coaching InshahAllah. We will be taking him to watch his first game next year at the World Cup.

His favourite player is Shakib Al Hassan, because he watched his first match on tv against New Zealand where he had a brilliant innings.

Old June 27, 2018, 07:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Mine is turning 14 this August, he is good at multiple sports.

But currently I am a bit worried about his inclination to online gaming, youtube etc. This is becoming a challenge.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World

But currently I am a bit worried about his inclination to online gaming, youtube etc. This is becoming a challenge.
Advance Birthday wishes.

What kind of sports does your son play?

I think swimming is the most essential thing. I got my son to swimming classes when he was 3 years.

Yes the online world and social media can be such a rough place for kids. I am studying on how to deal with this issue when my son starts using such platforms.

We have an youtube app that is child friendly.

I allow my son to play games but not online. He enjoys the lego games and Grand Turismo. I really want to get a Raspberry Pi so we can both play the classic games.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:

Break his console and introduce him to programming.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Is there any kid that plays with action figure these days? I dont know if it is a good or a bad thing, but born in 84 and growing up in 90's I used to love the He-Man toys (used to have to wait for my birthdays for my mom to buy me a new character). I know it is not programming or anything intellectual, but it helps kids to develop creative minds according to my folks. May be I am wrong.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Break his console and introduce him to programming.
Programming is very good advice although the former isnt
Old June 27, 2018, 08:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
Is there any kid that plays with action figure these days? I dont know if it is a good or a bad thing, but born in 84 and growing up in 90's I used to love the He-Man toys (used to have to wait for my birthdays for my mom to buy me a new character). I know it is not programming or anything intellectual, but it helps kids to develop creative minds according to my folks. May be I am wrong.
I used to have a He-man too, and I loved that little micro comic they used to give along with it. I was looking for one myself a couple of years ago. Wanted to remind me of my childhood.

My son plays with his action figures and some of his friends do too. Among his collection Iron Man, Hulk, TMNT and Transformers. He has three sizes of Iron man and loves that thing. That is the action figure I like the least. But nowdays kids have so many choices. I think its important as these things make children create their own world and open their mind.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Very good thread!

Adam bhaiya, One World bhaiya, Tonmoy and Dinraat,

Since your children are still very young: The following will be my suggestions (based on things that interested me as a child and an young adult, and still do and helped shape my life).

Comics
Lego
Drawing/painting - After school classes?
Any kind of crafts (after school/community classes?)
Gardening- plants - fauna and flora
Pets - Small fish tank- few fishes and aquatic plants/cats, dogs or rabbits adopted from a shelter

Music playing: instruments: In the West - violin, piano. and also maybe introduce tabla and harmonium and sitar/tanpura if possible.

Now I understand all of these won't work on all kids - some will, some will not.
Pets and plants will teach compassion and caring for another living being, possible rise of a conscience to help a (the) helpless.

Bicycle and swimming are great! Any sports and martial arts would be great. Adam bhaiya, you already started cricket with our bhaitja, that is great.
Teach them to make their own food at a very early age.

Teach them to stand up for the weak and down (in the society). Teach them to love.

Start getting them into geography and have encourage them to read books, stories - whether very young or not - stories with illustrations.

Collction hobbies: stamp and coins. die cast toy cars.

i still do all of the above. + I also do model trains (HO scale). One world bhaiya's son can start model train, since he is at the perfect age for that. Adam bhaiya's one may be a few years later.
Make model planes, ships, wooden boat. Radio control flying styrofoam planes.

I do all of the above except that I do not have any RC planes and my wife and I do not have a dog now, not anymore.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Very good thread!

Since your children) are still very young: The following will be my suggestion (based on things that interested me and still do and helped shaped my life).

Comics
Lego
Pets - Small fish tank- few fishes and aquatic plants/cats, dogs or rabbits adopted from a shelter

Music playing: instruments: In the West - violin, piano. and also maybe introduce tabla and harmonium and sitar/tanpura if possible.

Now I understand all of these won't work on all kids - some will, some will not.
Pets and plants will teach compassion and caring for another living being, possible rise of a conscience to help a (the) helpless.

Bicycle and swimming are great! Any sports and martial arts would be great. Adam bhaiya, you already started cricket with our bhaitja, that is great.

Teach them to stand up for the weak and down (in the society). Teach them to love.
Some excellent suggestions from Bujhee Kom bro which is Ironic to his nick as he understands alot

Lego is really important I agree. My son waters his grand parents massive garden from a very young age. I think in our home we will start to grow some plants , especially ones that bears fruits and vegetable.

My wife wants to get a Hamster for him, but I hate pets.

Yes musical instruments I think are important as I think it enriches one life as well and helps concentration.

I have collected some Asterix and TinTin comics which I will share with him soon. But tbh comics are not encouraged in the UK. Also it is not widely available. But during my childhood Archie and Billu/Chacha Chowdhury would give me much pleasure.

Thanks for reminding me about his own cooking. But also important is to do the shopping.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Programming is very good advice although the former isnt
Nah he if wants to game, introduce him to PC gaming, even though it's a niche, it still has all the triple A titles, but most importantly he will be exposed to the computing environment. If he does(obviously he will cause we are Bengalis) go to uni, he will have a nice foothold when it comes to using computers.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Very good thread!

Since your children are still very young: The following will be my suggestions (based on things that interested me as a child and an young adult, and still do and helped shape my life).

Comics
Lego

Start getting them into geography and have encourage them to read books, stories - whether very young or not - stories with illustrations.

Collction hobbies: stamp and coins. die cast toy cars.

i still do all of the above. + I also do model trains (HO scale). One world bhaiya's son can start model train, since he is at the perfect age for that. Adam bhaiya's one may be a few years later.
Make model planes, ships, wooden boat. Radio control flying styrofoam planes.

I do all of the above except that I do not have any RC planes and my wife and I do not have a dog now, not anymore.
I don't have kids, heck I'm not even married yet.
Old June 29, 2018, 03:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Nah he if wants to game, introduce him to PC gaming, even though it's a niche, it still has all the triple A titles, but most importantly he will be exposed to the computing environment. If he does(obviously he will cause we are Bengalis) go to uni, he will have a nice foothold when it comes to using computers.
Are there any specific games you recommend?
Old June 29, 2018, 05:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Are there any specific games you recommend?
Try to get him into chess, I know it sounds old fashioned, but chess really forces you to think, analytically and think ahead.

But for PC games, I started with racing games, then I learnt about piracy, watched YouTube videos, and started pirating my games. You would want him to be familiar with computers, the world is shifting to the digital age, everything is computerized.

NOT ENCOURAGING PIRACY HERE, YOU SHOULD OBVIOUSLY SUPPORT DEVELOPERS.

Games I recommend.

Need For Speed Franchise.(No violence)
Far Cry Franchise(little violence less than Call of Duty)
Elders Scrolls(becareful with this one, it can get him hooked very fast)

One more thing, make sure in school, try to put extra emphasis on Maths, Have you asked him what he wants to be when he grows up if its along the lines of Doctor,Engineer or Scientist, make sure he FOCUSES on math alot.
Till this day, I see first years fail all there uni level math subjects due to incompetence and preparation. I know he is only 14, but its crucial you prioritize math, before other subjects, since it is most widely used at a tertiary level.
Old June 29, 2018, 08:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
I don't have kids, heck I'm not even married yet.
Arrey Dinraat miah bhai, I know you are not married yet...but I thought you have already become an abbu!
Old June 29, 2018, 11:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Try to get him into chess, I know it sounds old fashioned, but chess really forces you to think, analytically and think ahead.

But for PC games, I started with racing games, then I learnt about piracy, watched YouTube videos, and started pirating my games. You would want him to be familiar with computers, the world is shifting to the digital age, everything is computerized.

Games I recommend.

One more thing, make sure in school, try to put extra emphasis on Maths, Have you asked him what he wants to be when he grows up if its along the lines of Doctor,Engineer or Scientist, make sure he FOCUSES on math alot.
Till this day, I see first years fail all there uni level math subjects due to incompetence and preparation. I know he is only 14, but its crucial you prioritize math, before other subjects, since it is most widely used at a tertiary level.
At what age do they start hacking?
Old June 29, 2018, 01:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Advance Birthday wishes.

What kind of sports does your son play?
Baseball, Soccer, Basketball

Interestingly every season he participates his team somehow ends up at the top
Old June 30, 2018, 06:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Arrey Dinraat miah bhai, I know you are not married yet...but I thought you have already become an abbu!
Gotta keep it halal.

But seriously,I am turning 25 soon and yet I still have habits of a 18 yr old(watching cartoons, playing mmorpg etc)
I havent really considered getting married. Also got a job recently too, haven't really found the right person.
Old July 2, 2018, 03:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Baseball, Soccer, Basketball

Interestingly every season he participates his team somehow ends up at the top
Wow amazing. Hope he keeps it up. out of the 3 which do you think might me most important for a kid?
Old July 2, 2018, 03:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

Games I recommend.

Some good points here. I am trying to get those Pi gadgets to play retro games the ones which I have enjoyed in the past like contra, streetfighter, etc etc.

BBC has alot of good programmes which build higher skilled career awareness. But we are now focusing on developing his skills on maths which he enjoys.
Old July 2, 2018, 06:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Gotta keep it halal.

But seriously,I am turning 25 soon and yet I still have habits of a 18 yr old(watching cartoons, playing mmorpg etc)
I havent really considered getting married. Also got a job recently too, haven't really found the right person.
I think this is a thread for parents, please come back when you are 18+
Old July 3, 2018, 03:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Have you bought your son Adorsholipi ?
Do you make him watch Sisimpur or Mina ?

Why not ???
Old July 3, 2018, 05:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
Have you bought your son Adorsholipi ?
Do you make him watch Sisimpur or Mina ?

Why not ???
Could you please elaborate why these are essentials for boys? How have your children benefited from these things?
Old July 3, 2018, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Could you please elaborate why these are essentials for boys? How have your children benefited from these things?
I think he is joking around.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Adorsholipi is good if you want yor kids to learn Bangla. That’s how we all started in kindergarten and home. O te Ojogor, I te Idur.

Mina is a good educational cartoon teaching family and societal values.

So these are not bad suggestions for anyone who wants to raise their kids with some Bengali language and heritage.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Be single be happy. Don't be a moron . And be the right type of single. Not a Chagol one.