facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 13, 2005, 09:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default two + two

Quote:
DOHS always use to fail going pass the first round in 2nd division even after spending lotta money. For the last few years ever since Coco bhai (current BD cricket development borad president and the 2nd son of Zia) took charge old DOHS has blossomed. They spent more money then ever and now they are getting the outcomes.
now I get a clue why Shanto was "selected" for the India match and who the real "selector" is!!

Old January 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Ha Ha Ha!

I was thinking the same thing today.

But thought it will offend some people if I raise the issue.

But as you pointed out the link, I can laugh atleast without offending anyone!
Old January 13, 2005, 10:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Don't understand what does that has to do with shanto selection?
Old January 13, 2005, 11:06 PM
Cricket Legend

aha! There should be a quota of at least 2 players who can be picked by the PM's family. I think that's fair! In fact they probably don't do it as often as they really could, if you think about it
Old January 13, 2005, 11:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Poor Faruk.
Now he have to defend shanto selection to the media.
Old January 14, 2005, 12:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

I don't want to get into this but it seems to me that the two+two scenario is the very likely one. The decision to include Shanto was an absolute shocker and I still find it very difficult to digest!
Old January 14, 2005, 03:36 AM
Test Cricketer

This seems riddiculous. You guys make the selection of shanto sound like pre-planned almost to the last detail; with a vague relevance to DOHS or whatever.

During that game, both nazmul and taposh was injured, and atleast the decision about taposh was made at the very last moment. The prospect of having other more popular bowlers as replacement, though very obvious, may not be as an option at the very last moment.

We don't know if any other bowlers were available at that moment, and the fact that shanto is experienced and a leading wicket-taker in the league in that moment, it would seem an obvious choice to play him.

As far as I remember, the decision was made by dev whatmore.

What possible political motivation could there be by playing him?
He performed miserably, and reduced his chances to ever being called to play for the national team to nothing.

I still don't understand what "coco bhai", and him being president of BCB and the sponser of DOHS has anything to do with shanto?

blah
Old January 14, 2005, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

actually i don't either but it sounds like a good story anyway!

p.s. when did mr. "coco bhai" become president of bcb? as for dohs success, good for them and congrats for winning the league. it always helps to have political patronage in getting resources to the club - shekh kamal and abahani was a good example as well.

Edited on, January 14, 2005, 2:08 PM GMT, by rafiq.
Old January 14, 2005, 09:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

By the way when dave started with bd he immdiately talk with bulbul and called shanto in the squad and then found out his fitness was not up to the mark. I know he has good relations with some other old players too (i don't know how). So, it just may be that his(shanto) name came up to him at that moment but its also may be true about the 2+2, its not totaly impossible....
Old January 14, 2005, 09:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blah
As far as I remember, the decision was made by dev whatmore.
Not true. Bangladesh team in Bangladesh is picked by the selectors.
Old January 14, 2005, 03:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Dev whatmore is one of the selectors....
Old January 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blah
Dev whatmore is one of the selectors....
Really? I did not know that. Could you please show me a reference?
Old January 14, 2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Mr. Rafiq is so jealous here. he want his own son to play in BD team, and when he find out about coco playing a part, he become miserable a start writing stories. Mr. Rafiq I think was beaten up by coco for wanting to date his girlfriend. He is way too personal.

I think coco choose Shanto, and told Dave and he agree, who told selectors, who then agree. Done.
Old January 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Whatmore is a selector reference:

http://www.thedailystar.net/dailysta...2104.htm#BODY1

"The inclusion of new national coach Dav Whatmore in the selection panel was one of the highlights of a crucial meeting of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday.
"Whatmore will be a part of the selection committee," said Cricket Committee chairman Mahabubul Anam after the marathon meeting at the BCB Gulshan office last night.

Whatmore, the seventh foreign coach of Bangladesh, will take over the nation team from June 1. The Sri Lankan-born Australian had expressed his desire to be a part of the selection process when he came to Dhaka on a brief visit early this month. "
Old January 14, 2005, 04:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Thanks Blah! With Whatmore in the panel I don't think the decision has anything to do with politics!
Old January 14, 2005, 04:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Politics! Politics! Politics
Old January 14, 2005, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

When I saw Shanto in the team I thought Wow..KOKO really done it this time. Thru him Shanto got his list chance. But when I hear from Faruk and DW, it changed my mind a little bit not all tho.

Now after reading the chaos in the field and the biasness of the umpires for DOHS..I think same thing is happening because of KoKo. too bad...

I just hope that it is not true but hey this is BD...anything can happen.
Old January 14, 2005, 05:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

I still don't get the point.... if DOHS becomes champion, then what is the benefit of coco(or chockolate or whatever)?

This guy seems to me a moron..... he became bcb boss because he is the son of prime minister; when he was aksed he said that had some cricket experience! Now everybody knows that playing knock-out 2nd division qualifier (not even main 2nd division) should not be considered as qualification.

Does he know that he is ruining his reputaion (i wonder whether he has any). What a dumb he is.

Regarding DOHS game with brothers, the manager of brothers accused that they had dismissed DOHS at least 15 times! But the ampire favored DOHS. This sorts of activities are certainly not good for our cricket. This will obviously demoralize genuine team like brothers, biman, victoria who creats good team only for their love for the game.

Let's send an open letter to 'The Daily Star' from banglacricket protesting this ill practice.

Edited on, January 14, 2005, 10:52 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.
Old January 14, 2005, 06:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kana-Baba
I still don't get the point.... if DOHS becomes champion, then what is the benefit of coco(or chockolate or whatever)?

This guy seems to me a moron..... he became bcb boss because he is the son of prime minister; when he was aksed he said that had some cricket experience! Now everybody knows that playing knock-out 2nd division qualifier (not even main 2nd division) should not be considered as qualification.

Does he know that he is ruining his reputaion (i wonder whether he has any). What a dumb he is.

Regarding DOHS game with brothers, the manager of brothers accused that they had dismissed DOHS at least 15 times! But the ampire favored DOHS. This sorts of activities are certainly not good for our cricket. This will obviously demoralize genuine team like brothers, biman, victoria who creats good team only for their love for the game.

Let's send an open letter to 'The Daily Star' from banglacricket protesting this ill practice.

Edited on, January 14, 2005, 10:52 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.
I am not defending any one here, neither Coco, nor DOHS, but I should at least request everyone to think that Akram Khan played for DOHS and he led the team. If there was any such plan to make DOHS champion illegaly, I am sure he would oppose it, or at least he would not be a part of it. Akram is one of best guys we have in our cricket...
Old January 14, 2005, 06:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

well Akram might be one of the best player we have ever produced; but does he the person with strongest morality?
Old January 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Just because akram left Abahani after 14+ years does not mean that he lost his morale right away. He is still one of the best. OLD DOHS was probably 3rd or 4th best in paper after victoria and city this year.
If politics was involved, it is a disgrace, but Brothers has a got some connection also[khoka]. BTW, in soccer I was always a supporter of brothers union until the mid 80's when i left for states
Old January 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Just because akram left Abahani after 14+ years does not mean that he lost his morale right away. He is still one of the best. OLD DOHS was probably 3rd or 4th best in paper after victoria and city this year.
If politics was involved, it is a disgrace, but Brothers has a got some connection also[khoka]. BTW, in soccer I was always a supporter of brothers union until the mid 80's when i left for states
Old January 14, 2005, 08:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

akrams leaving abahoni has nothing to do with his morale. my concern was whether he has the gutts to stand strong in front of prime ministers son.

obviously this year DOHS is very strong team in terms of players quality. but according to prothom alo, DOHS were alloted the same cricket ground always where pitch is much batting friendly and stable where so such room for accidental outcome; whereas other top teams got some matches in some field where you can not predict the pitch; hence more chance of accident.

By no means, you can compare Cco with Khoka. Moreover Khoka doesn't care about cricket; he only likes football.
Old January 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
Test Cricketer

two + two = seven
Old January 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

can't handle too much of political talk. i am going to retire now from this thread