facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: How many medals (any color) will South Asian teams, representing close to 1.5 BILLION people can win
5 or more 4 21.05%
Less than 5 12 63.16%
Jiru 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Brazil playing much better in the last 10 min. If they play like this they should be able to get a goal in soon.

Old August 11, 2012, 10:33 AM
Cricket Sage

2nd goal for Mexico. Perelta smoked that header. All over for Brazil.

Marcelo what a moron, thik moto pass dite pare na, abar nijer team mate ke jhari dei
Old August 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

One word for Brazil: EGO. When you twist and turn and back heel instead of just pass there is a problem. Unfortunately thing is the brazilians achieved what they came for, attention for european deals or increase ones value. Hope they make it past the group stage in 2014....
Old August 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
I think India alone will win at least 5 medals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I hereby wager a full plate of Fakhruddin's biriyani that'll never happen in my lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
India did win 3 medals last time including a gold! You never know ..
Quote:
The jump from 3 to 5 won't happen in my lifetime bro.
Sohel, are you still alive ?

overall a rather disappointing performance for us, no gold (unless sushil kumar improves on his bronze from beijing) disaster performance by the archers, not too good from the shooters either and the boxers faced utterly pathetic referring. still, I will take it.
here's a bet if you want one, we will cross double figures in Rio.
Old August 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
Sohel, are you still alive ?

overall a rather disappointing performance for us, no gold (unless sushil kumar improves on his bronze from beijing) disaster performance by the archers, not too good from the shooters either and the boxers faced utterly pathetic referring. still, I will take it.
here's a bet if you want one, we will cross double figures in Rio.
Bhai amar apnar kase akta qus ase, do u only post in this forum if somebody attacks india?..i mean i envy u..everybody should defend his/her country like you but there are also so much to do in this forum..i forgot about the last time you post somethong which doesn't involve proving someone wrong about india
Old August 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
Hope they make it past the group stage in 2014....
It will be different in 2014. They will be playing in their own turf.Come 2014, I expect them to play much better as a unit. The only reason this team was named as heavy favorites is because Neymar was in it. He should concentrate on his game more and tone down all the theatrical moves a bit. He missed one really good opportunity in the 2nd half and than he was pretty much missing for the rest of the half.
Old August 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Nekre bhai, you are wrong, my last few posts before this one had to with international politics, neither involved India.

but it's true, I have cut down on posting here. the mood in the forum has changed subtly but significantly from the time I started posting. several people whose opinion I respected either underwent drastic change in views or showed their inner self (or may be I had misunderstood them in the first place). there are still folk whose posts I enjoy, BK dada, you, a couple of others....

I haven't followed much cricket since the WC. the non cricket threads here focus mostly on religion, there's not much I can say there without controversy, me being an atheist as well as an Indian. in any case being Indian here is always a practice in tight rope walking and avoiding the directed barbs all the time. after sometime, the negative outweighs the positives and one bows out.
Old August 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

^i hope to see you post more bhai..this is a bangla cricket forum afterall..post in that section and give your mother tonge brothers some encouragements...( or join in our frustrations which we do most of the time here )

anyway another thing i would love to read your opinion on this thread http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...hp?t=41315..it doesn't concern about indians or Bangladeshis but Bangalies in genral and sports..if you dont want to bump the thread PM your opinion to me or just leave a visitors massage
Old August 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

replied.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...9&postcount=42
Old August 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Team GB has won as many golds in 2012 than in 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992 and 1996 combined.
THREE GOLD today including as predicted Mo Farah in 5K, Cambell in Boxing and some guy in Kayak . Well done team GB.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Injury to the Chinese badminton player, who took the first set comfortably, and the generous new system of awarding double bronze medals helped India out with 3 of the 5 medals, but a medal's a medal so I owe Maysun a plate of authentic Dhakiaya Biriyani. At least the Indians are on the world stage collecting medals. Something I can't claim for Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Pretty appalling to see close to 1.5 billion people coming up with just 5 medals thanks to India, luck and IOC's generosity. So I suppose we'll continue to live vicariously when it comes to all sports other than cricket.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Another heartbreaking loss to Brazil for US women. Got thrashed 3-1. You lose the gold, not win the silver. The US wait for VB gold continues. Total bummer
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Injury to the Chinese badminton player, who took the first set comfortably, and the generous new system of awarding double bronze medals helped India out with 3 of the 5 medals,
this is a rather immature, almost juvenile reaction.

a couple of facts for you, the chinese player won 21-18 in the first set, that too with the help of a couple of lucky net shots, hardly 'comfortably', it was a close game. Saina had anyway defeated her a couple of months back in indonesia in a long match and would have likely done that here again.
more importantly, they had to play 3 back to back knock out matches within a 60 hour period. Saina was fit enough to survive the ordeal, Wang was not and her body broke down. luck has little to do with it.
Quote:
generous new system of awarding double bronze medals helped India out with 3 of the 5 medals
first of all, the system of awarding double bronze is not new, it's pretty old. there's a specific practical reason why it is so, generosity has hardly anything to do with it. btw, 2 of our bronzes are semi finalist bronzes, not 3.
secondly, if anything IOC and luck denied us of at least a couple more medals.

Mary Kom, who is 5 times world champion could not compete in her usual 46 kg category because IOC did not introduce it. she had to increase weight and compete 2 levels up in 51 kg against opponents much larger than her. if 46 kg was there she was a sureshot gold medalist.
it's a tribute to the fighting spirit of a 29 year old mother of two that she used all her skill and smarts to outbox opponents with much longer reach to get the bronze.

sumit sangwan, vijender and devendro all went down to horrible referring decisions, the last two winning would have confirmed another 2 medals.
kolkata boy joyanta karmakar missed out bronze by a whisker in shooting.

that is saying nothing about the below par performance of our archers and shooters, which is plain unlucky.

if luck and IOC were on our side, as you say, the tally would have hovered around 10.
we would do it in Rio. slow but steady, as they say.

Last edited by Neel Here; August 12, 2012 at 02:53 AM..
Old August 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

add another silver for sushil kumar in wrestling to that. poor guy lost in the finals to a japanese wrestler.

Last edited by Zunaid; August 12, 2012 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: mod.edit
Old August 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Good fight from Spain. Trailing behind slowly though.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Congratulations to India for exceeding their (implicitly understood) pre-tournament medals expectation. It will no-doubt provide a huge boost to sport in India.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

exceeded ? implicitly understood by whom ? not anyone who tracks Indian sports, that's for sure.

I am happy that we went over our beijing performance but this was lower than what we realistically expected from the contingent. only in wrestling have we exceeded expectations, where both our medal contenders achieved a podium finish.

what we expected and what we got :
shooting 3 (2)
boxing 3 (1)
archery 1 (0)
wrestling 1 (2)
badminton 1(1)

total 9(6)
Old August 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Weird how they ended the ceremony with skinny bitches and drugies.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Really happy that we (USA) ended up with the most medals. China gave us a pretty big scare but in the end, the US pulled away. Still gotta give credit for China to be doing that well in the Olympics. Expect them to give us another scare in the next Olympics as they seem to keep on improving. Just gotta respect how hard the US athletes work. Their hard work and determination is commendable. Really makes me proud to be an American.

As for the subcontinental countries, well the less said the better. I'll admit that India has made some improvements. A jump of 3 medals to 6 is good but still is really disappointing considering how big of a population they are and also the money they spent. It looks as though they are trying to get a structure in place but it seems it'll take a while before they start making serious jumps in the medal standings. The rest of the countries made no real improvements. As I said before, the culture needs to be changed upon. You have to be like machines in order to compete in the Olympics and I just don't see that from the subcontinental countries.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 17, 2012, 03:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
A jump of 3 medals to 6 is good but still is really disappointing considering how big of a population they are and also the money they spent.
disappointing considering the population, NOT the amount of money spent (which is miniscule compared to the big medaling countries). truthfully, there are other more important priorities and sports has just started to find acceptance as a profession in the last 10 years.

in fact, it is china that gets the lowest return upon investment, in terms of money and effort spent on olympics. it's just that the money and effort are huge and the returns are commensurately large in absolute terms. it's a hitlerian system where talented athletes are forced to train even beyond their will and kids are thrown into gruelling childhood sapping training schools by the govt with not a care for parent's permission.

tell me, would you like your kid to go through something like this ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz22PNu57px

and then, only one out of thousands climb the olympic podium, the rest are thrown out by the administration to eke out a living as a sweeper or a porter.
http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...644120,00.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/sp...pagewanted=all
Old September 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Hey All! Please check out this London Olympic 2012 video that I put together!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-gd86OCW6Y