facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 22, 2005, 03:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল
Default Habibul Bashar as captain

when you lead a team you should have both or either of these qualities:

1. Lead from the front (Pulling)

2. Force from the back (Pushing)

As far as my observation goes Bashar dont have any of these qualities as a captain. He was a good performer and thats all you can say about him. He is not a leader. He cannot motivate Bangladesh team. He just dont have what it takes to be a leader/captain. He just dont know how to force or make these players to perform. I am just frustrated about him. My suggestion is to make Shariar Nafees the next Bangladesh captain and to me he has both the qualities to some extent to lead this team from the front and get the best from these players.

Edited on, September 27, 2005, 5:13 PM GMT, by TeamManager.

Old September 22, 2005, 04:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Bashar is our best test batsman by far and the only practical choice for captainship. Shahriar Nafees is barely a rookie. He hasn't even cemented his opener spot yet, and you already want him as a captain? Do you mind me asking what gives you the impression that he has leadership skills? I remember some people were quite assertive of pushing Rajin up to the skipper post. To me, Rajin is still a contender for that post, but NOT before Bashar retires. For the moment we have no replacement at our disposal. People like Taibu sure make him look like a weakling, but I'm afraid Bashar is all we have and we will stick to him at least until 2007 WC (fitness permitting). I am not implying that Bashar possesses all the ideal qualities of a test captain. My point is that he is our poor man's mercedes, and the only sane choice. Calling for the captain's head after a series loss may be a luxury to the other 8 teams in the arena, but in our case this is only a knee-jerk reaction typically every time we lose a test.
Old September 22, 2005, 07:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

some mistakes that Bashar made:

1. As pointed out by Athar Ali, when Rasel and Rajib were bowling superbly, Bashar was not attacking by putting a short forward leg in front the batsman. He opted to have a square leg which was rediculous considering the situation. Probably he forgot to set the field aggressively as he does not have to do that very often or at all.

2. The way he got out in the first innings was ridiculous, painful and disgraceful. The bowler did nothing with the ball but he gave his wicket just like practicing catch. It is understood that he wants to play his natural game and that's everybody likes him to do but it does not necessarily means that he cannot take the responsibilty and not to make shots like that in the half an hour period before lunch. if he does not take resposibilty nobody will be eager to be responsible.

Unfortunately, Bashar is the best option we have. So he needs to improve his game specially on motivating the players and setting field placements. Lets hope for the best!

Edited on, September 23, 2005, 12:31 AM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.
Old September 22, 2005, 08:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Does he know the definition of captancy when he plays those ridiculous pull shot playing his "natural game". I guess loosing his wicket and putting the team in trouble is part of his "natural game and stroke playing".

If you make a mistake you learn from it, but making it over fifty times is ridiculous. He is not Lara or Sachin, he might got most of his runs from that shot but recently it's not working why bother playing it. For example, Waugh in one innings didn't play the pull shot at all. But He was still the winning captain. Bashar needs the brain. Without the brain he can't help our team nor does any players in Bangladesh.
Old September 22, 2005, 10:56 PM
Test Cricketer

one more question about Bashar is that why he never use the bowling of Aftab? While there was a little favor for Pacer and while rafique was bowling in a wrong direction (most of the balls to mid and leg stump) he should bring Aftab to bowl.
He should try with rafique just by changing his ends as his prime bowler was not getting the perfect line.

I really do not understand that why Bashar always go with predetermined plan what I mean that the plan what he worked out the previous night. He never change his plann according the situation in the field.

I always have the feeling that he never properly used the bowling talent of Aftab in any of his games. He should know that Aftab is our only changed pace bowler.
I personally think that it is the time to change the Captaincy. Eventhough Pilot got some allegations during WC but still I think he will do better as a Captain compare to Bashar. Another point to mention that it is the Pilot who always encourages the fielders by shouting and on the other hand Bashar do nothing in the field to make a TEAM BANGLADESH
Old September 22, 2005, 11:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
My point is that he is our poor man's mercedes, and the only sane choice. Calling for the captain's head after a series loss may be a luxury to the other 8 teams in the arena, but in our case this is only a knee-jerk reaction typically every time we lose a test.

Yes, yes, yes but a slight no.
Old September 22, 2005, 11:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by esteban_loaiza
some mistakes that Bashar made:

Unfortunately, Bashar is the best option we have. So he needs to improve his game specially on motivating the players and setting field placements. Lets hope for the best!

Edited on, September 23, 2005, 12:31 AM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.
That is a bit unfortunate, isn't it?
Old September 22, 2005, 11:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by SS
Does he know the definition of captancy when he plays those ridiculous pull shot playing his "natural game". I guess loosing his wicket and putting the team in trouble is part of his "natural game and stroke playing".

If you make a mistake you learn from it, but making it over fifty times is ridiculous. He is not Lara or Sachin, he might got most of his runs from that shot but recently it's not working why bother playing it. For example, Waugh in one innings didn't play the pull shot at all. But He was still the winning captain. Bashar needs the brain. Without the brain he can't help our team nor does any players in Bangladesh.
He is good for nothing. As a captain his wicket is too valuable and he just dont seem to care about it. How would he expect responsibility from other young guns when he himself is irresponsible?
Old September 22, 2005, 11:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by shaheen
I personally think that it is the time to change the Captaincy. Eventhough Pilot got some allegations during WC but still I think he will do better as a Captain compare to Bashar. Another point to mention that it is the Pilot who always encourages the fielders by shouting and on the other hand Bashar do nothing in the field to make a TEAM BANGLADESH
He just dont have what it takes to be a leader/captain.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
]

Thats not only Bashar's problem, that is the problem of the whole country in every sector.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by One World
Quote:
]

Thats not only Bashar's problem, that is the problem of the whole country in every sector.
Oh yes!
Old September 23, 2005, 03:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Our biggest problem is not weak captaincy of Bashar, rather our biggest problems are ASH's inconsistancy, AFTAB's once-in-a-while batting form, and numerous others. We have grow as a team, just by having a good captain, you will win nothing..

I am afraid that we are trying to forget all those more important faults in the cover of this second string problem..
Old September 23, 2005, 04:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

when players don't perform properly, captaincy becomes really difficult. If you cannot depend on the players how can the captain become aggressive!
Old September 23, 2005, 04:49 AM
Test Cricketer

I am very much in line with Abu_akif and cricket_pagol bhai. We all know that Bashar is not the best of captain but i don't think we keep loosing because of his captaincy.

One of the bad thing is his batting which is also going down. May be the captaincy is putting extra pressure on his batting.
Old September 23, 2005, 07:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

A captain has these powers over his team:
1. He can yell at them when necessary.
2. He can discipline them.
3. Sometimes when its needed he can even verbally warn them.
4. Its not like a football captain, a cricket captain can actually put everything together to get a better performance.
5. The game on the field goes on as he want to execute them.

If he is doing above things fine then i am not going to blame his captaincy at all. He is just too gentle a guy who cant yell at his boys when they are not performing.

Let me tell you one thing. There are two kind of players in our team. 1. whose place is secure in the team. 2. whose place is not secure in the team. Players whose place is secure in the team dont give a damn about team's result. They just dont care. Because they know they will not be dropped. They are happy with a 20+ knock or a wicket or two.
Players whose place is not secured also dont give a damn about teams result. All they want is to make their position secure. If they can make a fifty or two or get few wickets they know that they will not be dropped. They only worry if they cant make a few runs or get few wickets.

So this is the team environment in Bangladesh team.
How can you win if nobody cares about team's result.
This is the coach, captain and team management's duty to change this environment. Since we care too much about Whatmore(?) and the team management is untouchable there is one guy left in the picture- the team captain himself. Its your pick:: who do you want to remove? My suggestion is to try with a different captain. May be he will be able to change this environment because he will know soon enough that if he cannot change this environment the team will not win and his job will not be secured. Bashar, Whatmore, M. A. Latif -- their job is way to secured. So they dont bother about teams performance. We need a change to this environment before it hurts.
Old September 23, 2005, 09:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

TeamManager,

We all know about the problems our cricket has. You are not brining anything new to this forum. If you have a solution and can back it up with some credibility and performance history (a replacement captain) then please do so. I will be very keen to support that person.

I don't like Bashar's captaincy, but I will not want to see a replacement coming in on knee jerk reaction.

Your frustrations are shared by everybody in this forum but jumping to a decission in not what we need in our cricket. We still have time and opportunity to improve our side. The cricketing think tanks have to come up with a way to change the mentality of our batsmen. I don't know how we can do it in a year or two because our players shown the tendency of giving up early / playing with emotion / being happy with very little (at least 90% of the test matches). How do you change that in few years? (Its not a question to you only, it is for all of us)
Old September 23, 2005, 11:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamManager
There are two kind of players in our team. 1. whose place is secure in the team. 2. whose place is not secure in the team. Players whose place is secure in the team dont give a damn about team's result. They just dont care.
How do you know? Maybe thats what their ability is!
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamManagerPlayers whose place is not secured also dont give a damn about teams result. All they want is to make their position secure. If they can make a fifty or two or get few wickets they know that they will not be dropped.
Isn't that what the team wants from them, dear? one or two fifty or a few wickets?!
Old September 23, 2005, 11:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

H Basher is unfortunately the best one to lead us at this time. We need to work forward in creating a new captain.
Old September 23, 2005, 11:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

TeamManager, thank you for your well though suggestions. Your posts were worth reading.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawah
TeamManager, thank you for your well though suggestions. Your posts were worth reading.
Did i tell you before that i like to read your posts a lot!
Thanks!
Old September 23, 2005, 01:37 PM
Club Cricketer

Only thing he gotta do is score 100.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:23 PM
Banned

Guys..one thing you remember....

"You cannot teach anything your old dog"
Old September 25, 2005, 10:02 AM
Club Cricketer

I can't see any reason of pointing out too much criticism againsts Bashar. I think he is our best batsman by miles and only the test standard batsman in our country. His records will speak for itself. No matter how wise and tactically sound captain can be if team do not perform and quality of the player is below per then captain can't do anything. We can criticise only just for the sake of criticism. Who is in our team got a better record and performing consistently then our captain? I don't see even a single player. If we need to criticise then we got to do it for the whole team not just pointing finger to the captain's fault. We should give him the respect he deserved.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MashTamimFiqur al Hasan

it doesnt matter if even ponting or ganguly is our captain. bangladesh wont improve just by one good captain.
Old September 25, 2005, 11:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by ejaj_a
I can't see any reason of pointing out too much criticism againsts Bashar. I think he is our best batsman by miles and only the test standard batsman in our country. His records will speak for itself. No matter how wise and tactically sound captain can be if team do not perform and quality of the player is below per then captain can't do anything. We can criticise only just for the sake of criticism. Who is in our team got a better record and performing consistently then our captain? I don't see even a single player. If we need to criticise then we got to do it for the whole team not just pointing finger to the captain's fault. We should give him the respect he deserved.
I like Habibul Bashar (the player) a lot. But i just dont like his captaincy.
A player can only perform 80% without the motivation from his captain. They need a lot of inspiration, pushing and yelling. To bring out the remaining 20% is the captain's job. And i am sure HB will never be able to get that 20% performance from his players.