facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 13, 2020, 07:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
You did not understand this company at all. So I don’t wish to continue.

At 12/13 times multiples: this company was cheap. It’s simple logic if you understood what you are talking about. 25 times multiples currently: its expensive.

I don’t need your silly analysis where you don’t even know how to look for value.

The guy who wants to buy 1 or 2 stock to make it big spends time researching stocks in a sector that is showing decreasing demand for sugary drinks, govt regulations to restrict sugary content and by volume is projected to grow 0.9% annually in terms of volume consumption.

You are absolutely right, I do not see value in the sector. I think one of the crucial aspect of "value investing" is understanding the underlying reason why a stock is down in the first place and can those reasons be easily rectified. Otherwise that multiple will rise pretty fast with decreasing sales.

It's a good thing we don't agree on most things. It only means one of us is making money. And it's not you.

*repasting - this site is terrible, so buggy.

Old October 13, 2020, 02:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
what's your annualised return over 10 years? be honest.
What do you think? Do you think I am losing money or underperforming the market by a lot over the years?

It's not so simple to give you a number. I have multiple different accounts on multiple different platforms. Every single platform have different user experience and not all provide similar kind of data. I have money going out every pay check to various accounts. For example let's say I buy into a mutual fund that gained 15% over one year but my gain wouldn't be 15% - it could be less or more depending what the fund was priced when my paycheck got distributed.

Then another scenario - if you have 5K in an account but you invested only 2K in apple share. The share appreciated 2x and now ur apples share is worth 6k and u have a cash of 3k still. Is your return 200% on that account or 80%??. Potentially any cash you have in a bank is also investable - would u count that?

It's much easier to calculate when you simply do a lum sum investing and then that's it.

anyways i will give u details on my Roth account because it wasn't automated, i did active trading there as there are no tax consequences.

I started with 17K in that account less than 2 years ago.. some months into 2019. In 2020 there was another 6k contribution (it will become clear why i am mentnioning the timing). The account currently has 41K but here is the kicker.. I always had some amount held in cash north of 5K in that account...(currently it is the lowest i have at 1.3k).

So i will ask what is my annualized return on that account in less than 2 years?

If i calcuate (35 - 17)/17 = 105% total
or (41-23)/23 = 78% <-- this wouldn't be really accurate over 2 years because the 6 k was there only since jan 2020 - which is less than a year and importantly not even invested.

And here is the thing.. it was not one stock one stock in that account. I had in total traded approximately about 12 stocks there. In fact my return would have been more higher had i not traded as much. S&P is no where near my return in that time period.

Now that u got some info - how does this really help you?
Old October 13, 2020, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

I am gonna sell my bitcoin position if it reaches 12k again.. and then try to buy it again if it falls below 10..
Old October 13, 2020, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

You ask one question: you get a complete opposite answer.

It clearly said 10 years annualised return.

But let me be smart and just give the last 2 years (where the stock market has been booming for everyone: even retail investors)

Imagine a retail investor comes along and says my annualised return for last 2 years have been over 100%.
Old October 13, 2020, 05:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
You ask one question: you get a complete opposite answer.

But let me be smart and just give the last 2 years (where the stock market has been booming for everyone: even retail investors)

Imagine a retail investor comes along and says my annualised return for last 2 years have been over 100%.
This is where you have a comprehension problem. I have multiple accounts that it would take an accountant days to figure out exact rate of return. And I explained to you why an anualized rate of return is not a simple thing to calculate with examples i laid out to you. But I can assure you they aren't below market returns because majority of them area in market index.

I really don't know what your point is? The sp500 over that same period (2 years) yielding 32% (probalby less as i think my first purcahse was in march or something). That same period also included a covid 19 market crash. Despite all that I doubled the invested money.

I didn't have roth 10 years ago. I started with 17K..in one year i poured two years of contribution and i had another year of contribution there lying around in cash... 5.5 (contributed in 2018)+ 5.5+6 (both contributed in 2019) and then i started purchasing stocks.

U are just silly. I hope it's clear now. Why is it so hard for u to believe that I am making money in market. LOL. Or u think i am like u who just likes posting, sometimes live as I trade? and ppl can't go back and look the performance?
Old October 13, 2020, 09:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Anyone who is able to double their money year over year even for 2 years need to be appreciated. What would be wrong with a retail investor coming and saying he had 100% return year over year for 2 years??

Your hindsight dismissiveness about other ppl's rate of return over market returns show that you really don't have any experience. Can you get a 100% return in next two years? No rules. You can buy one or 100 stocks . You can do margin. you can do options. wahtever u like. I would like to see u get that return. I will be the first one to applaud you if you can achieve that. And i will tell you that you are not gonna achieve that with your value investment in your sugary soda company.

I will give you another account info for you to calculate my rate of return. this account had around 30K contributed over the span of 2008 to 2012 and nothing afterward. It is currently valued at 158K. This account also went through the 2008 crash.. After losing 90% of that portfolio at the onset, I still poured money in.
Old October 13, 2020, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

^I still hold my citibank stocks from that 2008 crash. that was brutal. I rode citibank stock from my purchase price of 23 dollars all the way to 1 dollars in matter of months. I will never forget the pain that crash inflicted in me.
Old October 14, 2020, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Anyone who is able to double their money year over year even for 2 years need to be appreciated. What would be wrong with a retail investor coming and saying he had 100% return year over year for 2 years??

Your hindsight dismissiveness about other ppl's rate of return over market returns show that you really don't have any experience. Can you get a 100% return in next two years? No rules. You can buy one or 100 stocks . You can do margin. you can do options. wahtever u like. I would like to see u get that return. I will be the first one to applaud you if you can achieve that. And i will tell you that you are not gonna achieve that with your value investment in your sugary soda company.

I will give you another account info for you to calculate my rate of return. this account had around 30K contributed over the span of 2008 to 2012 and nothing afterward. It is currently valued at 158K. This account also went through the 2008 crash.. After losing 90% of that portfolio at the onset, I still poured money in.
That’s not a bad return.

2008-2020 = 13.6% return in the same period S&P 11%.

Those numbers sound legit.

Share us some of your experience.
What are those that went wrong and why: so people like me can avoid.
Old October 20, 2020, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I am gonna sell my bitcoin position if it reaches 12k again.. and then try to buy it again if it falls below 10..
well it didn't take that long to reach 12K. hmmm
in other news, SNAP crushing.
Old October 25, 2020, 12:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
That’s not a bad return.

2008-2020 = 13.6% return in the same period S&P 11%.

Those numbers sound legit.

Share us some of your experience.
What are those that went wrong and why: so people like me can avoid.
I think your calculation is wrong, sp returned lower while mine is slightly higher but it doesn't really matter - it's better than 30K losing its value due to inflation in a bank. And it's not even 30K at one time.. it's over few years so u don't really feel it.

I think the biggest lessons would be:
1. Continue to buy stocks ignoring noise (look at number 3)
2. Try to resist selling anything ever (Assuming you already researched the company, made a judgement call, trust yourself)
3. Have patience - and buy when market crashes (and many crashes will come)
4. Automate

Just look at snapchat - all of a sudden your 80 dollars prediction may come true... u know how much i bought it for.. $6 dollars haha.. and we were having that discussion when it was like at 14. I kept track of it's price and when dec 18 market crashed - went to 5.. i thought it was a steal. I did however sell it when it doubled and then rebought it again recently. And there is my PROBLEM. I am too trigger happy.

If I never sold any of my apple shares ever - i would have apple shares worth roughly half a million dollars today paying dividends quarterly. Hurts to just think about it.
Old November 17, 2020, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
well it didn't take that long to reach 12K. hmmm
in other news, SNAP crushing.
good thing never sold... talk about bad timing... BTC just skyrocketted.
Old November 17, 2020, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

Just look at snapchat - all of a sudden your 80 dollars prediction may come true... u know how much i bought it for.. $6 dollars haha.. and we were having that discussion when it was like at 14. I kept track of it's price and when dec 18 market crashed - went to 5.. i thought it was a steal. I did however sell it when it doubled and then rebought it again recently. And there is my PROBLEM. I am too trigger happy.

If I never sold any of my apple shares ever - i would have apple shares worth roughly half a million dollars today paying dividends quarterly. Hurts to just think about it.
The gift of hindsight.

My philosophy is make money when you can. As long as you can stay with the Dow or Nasdaq return you are doing OK. If you can beat it, even better.

A mix of holding ETFs and savy day-week trading short positions is the way to do it.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 18, 2020, 08:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

@iDumb, PLTR was a great call. I had researched this company and was on the fence for the following reasons:
1) The valuation was very rich for a company that hadn't turned profitable in 15+ years of existence (although the valuation wasn't nearly as rich as SNOW).
2) Unlike SNOW their stock price was stagnant in the beginning.
3) I'm familiar with the inner workings of the federal govt and was a bit concerned that they may not want to grow the bottom line in order to avoid scrutiny.

When you're on the fence after doing so much research, sometimes you just need the fresh perspective of an outsider. After reading your post I went for it and it's paid off nicely.

@SBD, you're looking at the wrong valuation model. iDumb talks about growth stocks. Your valuation techniques mostly apply to value stocks. Most of the time you guys are comparing apples and oranges.

I won't talk about btc here
Old November 18, 2020, 09:04 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

do opposite of what I do. I bought Zoom a while back realizing it will go up even more (I know crazy!!) BUT then all at-home stocks took a hit after vaccine news.

I will just stick to buying ETFs. Doing decent in that way. Tough to pick individual winner stocks. And my time horizon is 5-10 years. And grapes are sour

But BTC is where it's at!! Too bad, in USA only 5x leverage is allowed. Some major exchanges (but not in USA) allows 20x,50x, and even 100x leverage. Imagine going long with such leverages in this BTC market...
Old November 18, 2020, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
It's not about getting few right and few wrong... it's just your overall thought process in investing is very poor.... if people followed your post over the years on this thread.. the likes of uber etc recommendations lol... any fool can match your average performance annualised.
this fool just wanted to rub this in. I am currently up 40% with uber. Sold 25% of position. Made possible by 2 further transaction - dolllar cost averaging it down.

anyawys, good job on those who keeps on investing ignoring the naysayers.
Old November 19, 2020, 12:10 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

EV sector has been good to me. Currently have stake in NIO and TSLA. Pretty happy with the returns and where it is projected to be. I still feel confident about EV sector and where TSLA currently sits at. I’m starting to not pay attention to daily noise and look at the overall fundamentals and its starting to pay off. Also utilizing options is a great way to take advantage of the momentum and hedging as well. I love using covered calls to generate income and hoping to use covered puts as well. Anyone else using options much??
Old November 19, 2020, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
EV sector has been good to me. Currently have stake in NIO and TSLA. Pretty happy with the returns and where it is projected to be. I still feel confident about EV sector and where TSLA currently sits at. I’m starting to not pay attention to daily noise and look at the overall fundamentals and its starting to pay off. Also utilizing options is a great way to take advantage of the momentum and hedging as well. I love using covered calls to generate income and hoping to use covered puts as well. Anyone else using options much??
This is the best options strategy. Generating income with options is the real smart investing
Anyways u have enough Tesla shares to sell covered calls ? That’s a lot of money on one stock. Big player ! Nice.
Old November 20, 2020, 07:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Have any of you invested in any U.K. companies before?
What was the reason?

If not - which U.K. companies would you invest in and why now?

Thoughts welcome from everyone.
Old November 21, 2020, 08:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Everyone seems high on this thread while valuations/multiples of companies are crazy.

No-one here seems to have a strategy for bad time.

I mean tell me some stocks , where I can sleep peacefully at night when the stock market collapses. Yes, I’m looking for stocks that will yield 10% dividend, at least in 3-5 years time.
Old November 21, 2020, 09:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Quote:
Everyone seems high on this thread while valuations/multiples of companies are crazy.

I mean tell me some stocks , where I can sleep peacefully at night when the stock market collapses. Yes, I’m looking for stocks that will yield 10% dividend, at least in 3-5 years time.
Cocacola
Old November 21, 2020, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Ticker: CSPR - will help you sleep well
Old November 21, 2020, 08:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

No one is high. I am very grounded . And I have great strategy ..it's called long term hold and resist the urge to market time .

You been saying same thing past 11 years . 2009 it was recession so recovery makes no sense .... 2020 it's covid so market high don't make sense . And in between u lost atleast a 12 percent annualized return ....

And most importantly you actually do not know how to value a company in a given market condition. So u will always lose.

I came here in Feb/March and posted to here for everyone to remain calm while losing on paper atleast a quarter million dollar ...

And u kept watching waiting to get back in ..and kept watching ...while market doubled ... Ur valuation parameters didn't give u green signal after the market dropped 40 percent.. with individual stocks like pinterest going to 10 dollars ....u didn't jump in.... PINS at 70 now ... If ur valuation is 700x off then u are wrong not the market . That's an example...
Old November 21, 2020, 08:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
Cocacola
Excellent choice for someone looking for dividend income . Or better yet buy a dividend yielding etf that tracks all the aristrocrats .. but one has to keep on mind it's a safe play will not beat market in positive years but will do well in negative years compared to overall market
Old November 23, 2020, 09:28 PM
Cricket Legend

So when do you guys think this EV market will crash?? I mean i see the future in this sector but such rich multiplier this early?? Too much FOMO - I like steady rise. We should all be ready to sell at any moment and buy back if given more favorable price. this is nuts.
Old November 24, 2020, 09:15 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
So when do you guys think this EV market will crash?? I mean i see the future in this sector but such rich multiplier this early?? Too much FOMO - I like steady rise. We should all be ready to sell at any moment and buy back if given more favorable price. this is nuts.
Yeah things have spiked way too quickly. I doubled my money on Nio in a span of one month. I sense a correction is imminent. But do I care when I’m up so much? Not really. That’s why options are awesome.