facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old July 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Reefat Bin Sattar finally becomes the third Grand Master of Bangladesh

Reefat Bin Sattar's long and tedious wait to become third Grand Master of the country finally ended when the FIDE approved his Grand Master (GM) title yesterday.

The 32-year old Reefat had earned his much-awaited third and final GM norm in April last year but he had to wait to achieve the required ratings (2500) and wear the crown after Niaz Murshed (1987) and Ziaur Rahman (2002).
The game's governing body, the World Chess Federation (FIDE), confirmed his title after reviewing his performance till the ninth round games of the 37th Chess Olympiad, held in Turin, Italy last May-June.

Full report from Daily Star

Congratulations !!! Reefat

Old July 8, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Congrats to Reefat!!!! Happy for him.
Old July 8, 2006, 03:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

That's a great achievement for Reefat. Hopefully, there will be more grandmasters from Bangladesh soon.
Old July 9, 2006, 05:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Congrats to Reefat ! Great Acheivement for him and for the whole country !!

We want to see more GM's in the future too
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 9, 2006, 08:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Thank God; At last he achieved the necessary ratings. I think he won the norm at least 6 monthes ago
Old July 9, 2006, 11:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Don't really know much about chess but congrats to the man all the same. He's doing a good job representing Bangladesh on the world stage.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.
Old July 12, 2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

nice...now it's Abdullah-Al-Rakib's turn

by the way, here's a list of rankings of players from around the globe. bangladesh are 60th out of 146 countries.

http://www.fide.com/ratings/topfed.phtml

This can actually be a lot better. I think we have enough talent to be somewhere in the 40's.
Old July 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

congrats congrats Reefat
________
Toyota Paseo

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM..
Old July 18, 2006, 04:40 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Reefat deserved it long time back. When he won the nationals 3 times back to back I thought he was on a roll and will go all the way. But international tourneys are so competetive its hard to keep such good performance.

Its amazing to me that all three GMs of BD are from my high school (St. Joseph's) and I personally played with all of them. I've been following Reefat and Zia's friendly rivalry since we were in 7th grade, both were kid prodigy in chess like Niaz Bhai. I remember in one of the national Juniors I was following a game and hoping a player will execute a cool combination. It took me 20 mins to figure out how he will win. Then Reefat came over, looked at it for 30 sec., and showed me a better line. Then he said the guy will not make the move and neither players are aware of this line. Indeed that guy blundered and lost! Chess is as much psychology as it is logic and art.
Old July 18, 2006, 04:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluster11
Reefat deserved it long time back. When he won the nationals 3 times back to back I thought he was on a roll and will go all the way. But international tourneys are so competetive its hard to keep such good performance.

Its amazing to me that all three GMs of BD are from my high school (St. Joseph's) and I personally played with all of them. I've been following Reefat and Zia's friendly rivalry since we were in 7th grade, both were kid prodigy in chess like Niaz Bhai. I remember in one of the national Juniors I was following a game and hoping a player will execute a cool combination. It took me 20 mins to figure out how he will win. Then Reefat came over, looked at it for 30 sec., and showed me a better line. Then he said the guy will not make the move and neither players are aware of this line. Indeed that guy blundered and lost! Chess is as much psychology as it is logic and art.
yay josphetites. proud of my school. shahriar nafees is from our school too.
Old June 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Congrats to Reefat.

Regarding ATMR's comment of being able to do better: I agree. Which brings up my question: do we have a chess coaching centre or academy?

I believe all three of our GMs and our IMs are self-taught (cluster11 can correct me if I am wrong). Now, I am not saying that you can "create" a chess GM by training them in an academy. They are natural prodigies. However, a considerable amount of time and effort is spent initially in working out certain principles/strategies from scratch, even with the aid of chess books. Much of this could be alleviated if we have/had a good chess academy (similar to what the Soviet Union used to have).
Old June 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Congrats, Reefat.
Old June 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Congrats, Reefat.
It's been a year, my friend.
Old July 10, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

By the way, did Cluster and C_B played each other? its been so long I forgot to ask?

All three GM's can open their own private academy where they can train prodigies. Could be a constant source of income.
Old July 10, 2007, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluster11

Congrats to Reefat. He had to wait such a long time to get it. Jaihok, I am definitely very proud of his achievement.

Just like cluster11 bhai, I can also proudly say that I had the opportunity to play with all three of our GM's at some point in my life. I also had the opportunity to play with Rajib and Rajib - future GM's from BD. It seems all the people who play with me end up becoming a really great chess player. In fact, I had the opportunity to play with cluster11 bhai himself... so I expect great things from him too!

DAMN it!!! this is from last year and I already wished him

Last edited by cricket_pagol; July 10, 2007 at 02:46 PM..
Old July 17, 2007, 07:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
Congrats to Reefat. He had to wait such a long time to get it. Jaihok, I am definitely very proud of his achievement.

Just like cluster11 bhai, I can also proudly say that I had the opportunity to play with all three of our GM's at some point in my life. I also had the opportunity to play with Rajib and Rajib - future GM's from BD. It seems all the people who play with me end up becoming a really great chess player. In fact, I had the opportunity to play with cluster11 bhai himself... so I expect great things from him too!

DAMN it!!! this is from last year and I already wished him
did reefat go to st. josephs? i have a strange feeling that it is the same reefat who was in my class. of course, i left for england after class six or seven (con't remember now!) but there was a chess playing reefat in the same year as me.