facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2023, 02:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Pick your ODI World Cup squad

Very early and still quite a few ODIs to be played before the big dance. But here’s my current XV, with the starting XI first.

1) Tamim
2) Liton
3) Shanto
4) Tawhid
5) Shakib
6) Mushfiq
7) Riyad
8) Miraz
9) Taskin
10) Fizz
11) Ebadot

12) Hasan
13) Mosaddek
14) Yasir
15) Nurul

Obv some controversial picks. But I left out Nasum because I just don’t think he’s good enough. If the pitch is really turning we can use Riyad or Mosaddek as a third spinner. I picked Nurul because currently his batting is no worse than Afif and you need a backup WK in case of injury as LKD or Mushy should just focus on batting.

If Fizz doesn’t improve his form, then Hasan should start ahead of him.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old March 19, 2023, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

If fit, following players pretty much cemented a place in the WC squad:

Tamim
Liton
Shanto
Shakib
Miraz
Taskin
Mustafiz (not happy with him, but don't think anyone will dare taking the risk leaving him out of WC Squad)
Hasan
Ebadot

Following players are likely to make the team, but I would not be surprised if Hathuru gamble otherwise:

Mushfiq: His last two innings still does not convince me that he's back in his old form. But we don't have matches against quality oppositions before Asia Cup, to test his back up properly. So, even if Mushfiq fails during Asia Cup, we may not have any option but to keep him.

Hridoy: Like Mash said, he has been brought in LOI teams in a rush. His debut success against Ireland still doesn't convince me. In our conditions, I believe many DPL sides have better bowling attacks than Ireland do. I am not questioning his talent, but he was not vetted properly before his international debuts to work on his weakness. The hype around him may carry him to the WC, but I will not be surprised if opposition bowlers figure out his weaknesses by then.

Yasir: The current gamble on #7. Yasir is not really a good fit for this role, as he takes few balls to get set. But Yasir is talented, has backing of Tamim. So, it's likely they will carry him in this role to World Cup, hoping he will grow into the role.

Nasum: In absence of a leggie, it's very likely that our management will keep an SLA on the bench. On ICC made flat pitches, that option is much more likely to be Nasum than Taijul,

Players at risk, but still may have a slim chance:

Riyad: Unlikely to make the cut, mainly because Riyad no longer fits the role at #7, can't bat at the SR the role demands in an ICC event. I think Riyad can still be an excellent option at #4 or #6, but Hathuru may be more interested in other options for those positions. So, it's likely that Hathuru will gamble on an untested option for #7, and may not accommodate Riyad for a position higher up.

Nurul: Lost the wind on his sails, selectors and Hathuru seems more interested in younger and more talented batters like Zakir (who also happens to be a keeper) or Shamim.

Zakir/Shamim: Selectors and Hathuru are interested in those two, but senior players are not letting those two break into playing XI, even against weak oppositions. It will be ridiculous to see one of them taken to WC without a proper vetting in international stage. But, given our history, that may happen. Zakir has a higher probability as he has proven himself in all three formats in domestics, and can be a backup keeper in the squad for a long World Cup campaign.

Shoriful/Mrittunjoy: It's confusing to me why a toothless pacer like Shoriful still lurking around the ODI squad, or why Mrittunjoy has been ignored in a home series against Ireland. One of them may make the WC squad, or both may be ignored.

Afif: The squad is still carrying him, though he's no longer getting a place in the XI. Afif already expressed his dissatisfaction having to bat late order, where he's not doing well. Hathuru is not willing to promote another lefty up the order, so it's confusing why the team still carrying Afif. Shamim or Zakir seems more logical choice in Afif's place, as they're versatile enough to move up and down the order.

Last edited by Eshen; March 19, 2023 at 05:07 PM..
Old March 19, 2023, 06:46 PM
Test Cricketer

The squad will be same as the one currently playing against IRE. If Fizz donest start picking up wickets, I would start grooming an all rounder like Mritunjoy. With MJoy you would have 9 batsmen as Miraz will bat at #8 and MJoy at #9. Bowling attack would look like this:

5. Shakib
8. Miraz
9. MJoy/Hasan/Fizz
10. Taskin
11. Ebadot
Old March 19, 2023, 06:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Tamim, Liton, Shanto, Hridoy, Shakib, Mehedy, Taskin, Fizz.

I would want to take Mahmadullah over Mushfiqur.

I think Hassan is shyte and Ebadot is slightly better on Indian tracks. I think BCB should have played these new bowlers against Ireland rather than Talukder and Yasir, I have been hearing from others like MritunJoy.
Old March 20, 2023, 11:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Ireland being so helpless at Sylhet is not helping us making a proper assessment of the players. We would have been better off letting the players play in DPL.

Anyway, lets hope Ireland tour (where the ODI series will take place in Chelmsford, England) and Afghanistan home series will be more challenging.
Old March 20, 2023, 11:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Hasnt the Ireland series provided insights how bad Yasir Ali is???? Do we need a series against Nepal or Hong Kong to show us he is a good for nothing shlong ???
Old March 20, 2023, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

If history has showed us anything, during an ICC events, 70-80% of the time, we won because of the seniors. I would take all 4 even if off form.
Old March 20, 2023, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

No more Fizz.

Why are you lot backing this turd?
Old March 20, 2023, 10:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I am willing to give Fizz a run through the Asia Cup. He could just be out of form - albeit he is out of form more often than not.

Yasir has been hard done by...so has Afif but Afif doesn't really have the domestic numbers that Yasir and Mosaddek have to demand batting up the order.

I'm sure there will be at least one surprise pick like Abu Jayed Rahi last time.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 20, 2023, 11:47 PM
Cricket Legend

My squad:

Tamim
Liton
Shanto
Shakib
Hridoy
Mushfiq
Riyad
Miraz
Taskin
Fizz
Ebadot

Anamul
Zakir
Tanvir
Mahmud

Rony, Afif, Yasir, Shamim, Mossadek, Sohan, MJoy, Nasum, Shoriful miss out.

Riyad is a controversial pick at 7 but he's no worse than recent number 6/7s Yasir/Sohan. Afif has voiced his frustration finishing so I don't think it'd be wise to put him at 7. Also Riyad is our best option for collapses and batting with the tail. The other wild pick is Tanvir because I Nasum is the least threatening SLA of the ones we have and is a liability in the field.
Old March 21, 2023, 09:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Riyad won't make the cut for #7, his current SR does not support it. Indications say Hathuru will continue trialing with Yasir/Zakir for #7.

Riyad had better chance claiming his old spot #6, but now his vaira Mushfiq is taking it away from him. Riyad maybe still accommodated for a middle order positing for Ireland tour in May, if both Shakib and Liton skip out. He will have to do something outstanding in that tour to survive.
Old March 21, 2023, 10:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
. Riyad maybe still accommodated for a middle order positing for Ireland tour in May, if both Shakib and Liton skip out. He will have to do something outstanding in that tour to survive.
Shakib and Liton apparently didn't get the NOC i read somewhere. Thats not cool. It's a good exposure for our best. I like watching BD players in IPL.
Old March 23, 2023, 04:07 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Shakib and Liton apparently didn't get the NOC i read somewhere. Thats not cool. It's a good exposure for our best. I like watching BD players in IPL.
Matha mota papon
Old March 23, 2023, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

From Tamim's comments in the press conference today, seems like playing XI today + Mustafiz are certain for the WC.

They will certainly need two more batters. Zakir's prospect seems bright to me, as he can bat any position from 1 to 7. Other slot probably will be contested between Afif and Yasir. There may be an outside chance both Afif and Yasir will be left out to bring back Riyad, but it seems unlikely atm.
Old March 23, 2023, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
From Tamim's comments in the press conference today, seems like playing XI today + Mustafiz are certain for the WC.

They will certainly need two more batters. Zakir's prospect seems bright to me, as he can bat any position from 1 to 7. Other slot probably will be contested between Afif and Yasir. There may be an outside chance both Afif and Yasir will be left out to bring back Riyad, but it seems unlikely atm.
I would take riad 10/10 times instead of fat boy there. And Afif is out of form so not him either. Riad has that experience we can bank on as well
Old March 31, 2023, 12:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Thing are getting interesting - the way Shamim batted today, I will not be surprised if he pips Riyad, Yasir, and Afif for the #7 slot in the ODI team.

IMO, next few rounds of DPL will be key who's getting the slot for Ireland tour in May.
Old May 12, 2023, 03:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

You write off Mushy at your own peril - has taken ownership of the finisher role.
Old May 12, 2023, 07:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
You write off Mushy at your own peril - has taken ownership of the finisher role.
We are going to get goose bumps each time Mushy will be in similar position as today in WC. They will always mention about that India game.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:04 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
How? By the virtue of two meaningless series Vs Ireland where there is no pressure?
Old May 14, 2023, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

WHY NO SAIFUDDIN?
Old May 14, 2023, 01:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Few changes I like to see before Afg series-

Yasir: Tamim has been carrying his home boy as a bench warmer for too long. If the management don't have confidence to let him play in a meaningless series against Ireland, it's high time they let Riyad back into the squad.

Rony: Rumor is that most of our WC matches will take place on Edens Garden and Guwahati. Both are high scoring grounds now. I can see why the management is looking into a power hitter like Rony as an opening option. But I will prefer to see a more technically sound option like Zakir as the backup opener.

Shoriful: Not intelligent or skilled enough to survive at top level of cricket. Taskin will naturally replace him in the next series.

I would not write off MJoy yet, given this was his debut match, and that too on foreign soil. If not in the squad, the team should carry him as a net bowler and help him improve.
Old May 15, 2023, 09:21 AM
Test Cricketer

I would like to take a look at Zakir Hasan too as a backup. The batting tail rarely manages to bat through fifty overs. Once the opposition are into the tail, they can easily bundle them up. It need some work going forward.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:06 AM
Test Cricketer

I think that is the main question now: Play Riyad at #7, Miraz goes to#8, plus 3 pacers. Or play an all rounder in place of Riyad so that we have 4 quicks.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

I would not write off MJoy yet, given this was his debut match, and that too on foreign soil. If not in the squad, the team should carry him as a net bowler and help him improve.
If not for dropped catches he would've gotten couple of wickets.
He could've be good replacement for Saifuddin if he can get his batting together which looked poor yesterday.
Old May 19, 2023, 01:17 PM
Test Cricketer

I hope Ebadot can be our Anrich Nortje in Limited Overs at least.