facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 25, 2003, 03:10 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Exhibition match

BCB gearing up

Sports Reporter

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is going to hold an exhibition match involving national cricketers on Tuesday to celebrate the Independence Day.
The 50-over-contest between BCB Red and BCB Green will be held at the Dhanmondi Cricket Stadium.

Former national captain Akram Khan will lead the Red while experienced all-rounder Khaled Mahmud will captain the Green.

Skipper Khaled Mashud, who decided to quit the captaincy after leading Bangladesh to a woeful campaign in the 2003 World Cup, will stand behind the wicket in the Akram-led Red team.

The game will mark the first appearance of the national cricketers who returned home on February 5 after five defeats in six games in South Africa.

But chief selector Aliul Islam indicated by not considering three national caps that it would not be a mere exhibition match.

Opener Al-Shahriar, Hannan Sarker and Ehsanul Haque have not been included in the list of 30. Mashrafee-bin Mortaza, who twisted his right ankle during the World Cup and was forced to return home early, was not also picked by the selectors.

"The failure of our openers mainly responsible for our disastrous campaign in the World Cup. We have picked some fresh and experienced openers for the practice match on the basis of their performance in the domestic cricket. But that does not necessarily mean the three players have been left out," said Aliul to the Daily Star last night.

He however said that Wednesday's game is aimed to find a probable combination for the coming tri-nation tournament and the two Tests against South Africa.

Dhaka will host a three-nation one-day tournament also involving India before the Test series in March.

Aliul also picked former national captain Faruque Ahmed (Green) and former national opener Athar Ali Khan (Red) to manage the sides.

"It will be a test case for them to deliver goods in different capacity," said the chief selector. The appointment of Faruque and Athar was made in a bid to find a replacement of ASM Faruque, he added.

TEAMS

BCB Green: Khaled Mahmud (captain), Mohammed Ashraful, Javed Omar, Rashedul Haq, Tushar Imran, Nazimuddin, Habibul Bashar, Alok Kapali, Sanwar Hossain, Mohammed Selim (wicketkeeper), Arafat Sunny, Taposh Baishya, Tarek Aziz Khan, Talha Jubair and Enamul Hoque.

BCB Red: Akram Khan (captain), Mehrab Hossain, Shahriar Hossain, Sajjad Ahmed Shipon, Mazharul Huq, Aftab Ahmed, Aminul Islam, Naimur Rahman, Anwar Hossain, Khaled Mashud (wicketkeeper), Manzarul Islam, Mushfiqur Rahman, Monjurul Islam, Anwar Hossain Monir and Mohammed Rafique.

Old March 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
Club Cricketer

Who is the Bangladeshi captain now? Just wondering, as you say that Khaled Mashud quit.
Old March 25, 2003, 10:26 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

According to rumours, Akram Khan is the most likely candidate to be the captain. And in today's papers, Khaled Mahmud is probably the vice captain.
Old March 25, 2003, 11:13 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I guess there will be lot of people on Dhanmondi stadium today to watch this (free) game. It would be great if we had some first hand report from a spectator here

[Edited on 26-3-2003 by nasif]
Old March 25, 2003, 11:59 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default repeatations

please check other posts to make sure you are not just reeating the same info. This DS report was posted yesterday under the heading - BCB gearing up.

Thanks.
Old March 26, 2003, 03:37 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Result

Here's report from prothom-alo:

Independence Day match

There will be another match today.
Old March 26, 2003, 07:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Here is the score card for those of you who couldn't view it through the link as it happened to me in one of my computer and thats why I had to use my other computer to view it. Or for those of you who can't read bangla.....

BCB Green: 50 Overs 249/6
BCB Red: 40 Overs 166 all out

BCB Green:
Javed Omar 66
Rashedul 15
Ashraful 5
Habibul Bashar 59
Tushar Imran 6
Sanowar 38
K.Mahmud 13
Salim 32

Bowling:
Monjural 0/57
Anwar 2/32
Mashfiqur 0/36
Manjaral 0/45
Naimur 2/39
Mehrab 0/38

BCB Red:
Mehrab 37
Shahriar 16
Aftab 4
Aminul 12
Akram 3
Naimur 1
K.Mashud 9
Mushfiqur 42
Manjarul 17
Anwar 1
Monjural 4

Bowling:
Tapash 1/39
Tarek 4/55
Enamul 1/12
K.Mahmud 1/15
Ashraful 1/22
Sanwar 0/18

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
After this match I think we must bring back Javed, Mehrab, Enamul and Mushfiqur. Mushfiqur is being a very good all rounder who didn't let the batsmen do a lots of run plus he scored 42 which is very good.

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by ehsan]
Old March 27, 2003, 03:26 AM
Cricket Legend

the bcb red team looks like one constructed after digging all night at the local graveyard, and they played that way too. any team with akram, bulbul and naimur as the middle order is scary.

no one asked them to drop javed omar in the first place. we had a good debate on this board on that. and moni goes from hero to retired to back again without rhyme or reason. please don't bring mushfiq back even if he scores 142 in the next match.

other than mehrab making a comeback this season, there is nothing else that is new here. it's the same old crap recycled in almost the same old ways. sad.
Old March 27, 2003, 03:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Default bowling

on the bowling, i don\'t know what excuse manjurul could have for his figures other than burnout maybe. tareq aziz could make a comeback if he is fit again but there doesn\'t appear to be any new breakthrough talent in the league this year, does there? we had our best bowlers in SA, notwithstanding the absence of moni and masri trying to stand on a cricket ball.
Old March 27, 2003, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Default no selection structure

sorry that I am hing up on this thread. I was just thinking how pathetic our selection structure really is. who else has to host these absurd exhibition games to come up with their national team? they keep doing this over and over, and then selecting players with disproportionate emphasis on that one or two exhibition games.

I am really interested to know who else does this. anytime australia must add new players, do they square off Aussie A vs B somewhere? Pakistan just dropped most of their team, did they have to play exhibition matches to know who to bring in?

I don't know why they bother with the cricket leagues in the country if they cannot even decide who to bring on to the team. I think the process of getting 30 players first and then whittling it down to 15 over the course of a couple of exhibition games is an insult to all of those players. even to mushfiq babu.
Old March 27, 2003, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default Finally...

some selection criticism that actually makes sense....and I was thinking maybe I am stupid. You have spoken the right words rafiq.

Quote:
they keep doing this over and over, and then selecting players with disproportionate emphasis on that one or two exhibition games.
Couldn't agree more.. didn't they bring the kid Anwar to open for a test at some point on the basis of an exhibition match?? What a joke that was... They basically killed the kid's confidence (mentality) by doing that. How they gonna do that to a kid who has no international experience...(he did however had pretty good batting avg at Busta... but so did all the other morons) but the selector picked him based on the exhibition match. So if Anwar didnt score some good runs in E-match, then he doesn't get chosen even if he is a good batsman.. <-- who comes up with these?? I didn't know what cricket was three years ago and even I understand it.

Quote:
the bcb red team looks like one constructed after digging all night at the local graveyard, and they played that way too
HEHE....
Now that I think of it, Bangladesh doesnt really have good bowlers either. I don't know how we acquired the reputation "our bowlers are pretty good". YEAH IN COMPARISON!!! THEY SUCK too!!!!!

Quote:
moni goes from hero to retired to back again without rhyme or reason
Looks like someone is learning from the Kenyan Selection. Out of all these cricket boards in the world... they have to follow Kenya!!! sigh!

Conclusion:
Mehrab is back - oohoo
Golla is back - oohoo
Habi baal got his form back - oohoo
New Captain - oohoo

Trie Series started/ended

why didn't they pick Al-shahariar, mehrab joke - kutta selection
Golla - Nameo ja Kameo ta - kutta selection
Habib re niche keda, hala khelte paare? - kutta selection
Incompetent Captain - notun captain dorkar - kutta selection

BCB SELECTION REVOLUTION
- Star Sports reporter
BCB is arranging an exhibitation match for the upcoming Australian tour after their dismal performance... Ailiul is optimistic!!! "I think we can surprise Australia". "We really are an under-estimated team" Ailiul told Star.......

Banglacricket.com/alochona
---- blah blah blah blah....yeah you are right... blah blah blah blah... dhuru beta crickiet ki janosh tui....blah blah blah blah.... no personal attack... blah blah blah blah..... I met your mom yesterday...she is ugly blah blah blah blah....blah blah!!!!

!!!THE END!!!!!

Old March 27, 2003, 04:23 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib
Default sad but true in a funny sort of way

Orpheus,

Man u cracked me up! . .haahaha . that was too damn funny! You should do stand-ups.