facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 11, 2005, 08:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Bangladesh has turned corner, says ex-captain

By Nabila Ahmed
January 11, 2005

Bangladesh's historic breakthrough Test win over Zimbabwe yesterday was only the beginning for what will be a strong cricketing nation in the near future, according to the man who scored the country's maiden Test century.

Aminul Islam, a former Bangladeshi captain who scored a century in the country's inaugural Test match, against India in Dhaka in 2000, yesterday declared Bangladesh finally had turned the corner when it thrashed Zimbabwe by 226 runs in Chittagong.

"I think this is just the start. At the same time, we still need to improve a few things like domestic infrastructure and practice facilities. It will take a little bit of time to get as strong as India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, but I am sure Bangladesh will be an exciting cricketing nation soon," Islam said.

In Melbourne, looking after Bangladesh's only representative in the tsunami charity match, all-rounder Alok Kapali, the retired Islam, who now plays grade cricket in Sydney, said the win was the best way to respond to critics who have questioned the country's Test status.

"This is one of the answers to some of those critics who have criticised our Test status. We understand Bangladesh is still a baby in the Test arena but we're starting walking from today," he said. "The way we're going, this win will help us definitely. This is our normal cricket, playing good cricket and hopefully we can keep it going."

Ashraful Huq, the chief executive of Asian Cricket Council and former general secretary of Bangladesh Cricket Board, said the victory would cement Bangladesh's status as a Test-playing nation.

"I don't think there is any reason to question Bangladesh's Test status any more," he said. "For Sri Lanka, it took a few years and New Zealand, they took 26 years and we did it in four. I am sure this is the first of many, many victories. This was what they were waiting for. Once you've got the first win, the second, third and other wins come easily after that. Now they know in their minds that they can win, you will see them win many more times," he said.

"The Prime Minister, John Howard, asked me to pass on his personal congratulations to the captain and the team. It is just such an exciting time."

The dream came true for Bangladesh in Chittagong when left-arm spinner Enamul Haque had the last Zimbabwean batsman, Christopher Mpofu, caught by Mohammad Ashraful at silly point in the afternoon session to trigger wild celebrations on and off the field. Haque finished with six wickets

Zimbabwe, playing its first match since its Test program was suspended last June for fielding weak sides following a row between the national board and regular white players, was shot out for 154, chasing an improbable 381-run victory target.

The Bangladeshis hugged each other and danced, with skipper Habibul Bashar leading his teammates on a victory lap in front of delirious fans. "It's a big day for Bangladesh cricket," he said, before paying tribute to the fans and Bangladesh's Australian coach Dav Whatmore.

"He (Whatmore) is the man who has instilled self-belief in us. He is the man who always said, 'We can win'. We are now looking forward to clinching the series with a victory in the second Test.

"We are thankful to our cricket fans who have always supported us. They have given us tremendous support, even when we were not doing well."

Bangladesh had waited more than four years and 34 Tests for this moment, having lost 31 of the previous matches since gaining Test status in 2000. The other three games - two against Zimbabwe and one against the West Indies - were drawn.

Bangladesh's unlikely hero was 18-year-old Haque, who finished with 6-45, the best by a Bangladeshi bowler in Test cricket.

- with AFP

Source: The Age

Old January 11, 2005, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Nice to here from the old Skipper
Old January 11, 2005, 09:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

I know Nabila Ahmed ......
well really i know her brothers
Old January 11, 2005, 09:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Hopefully, this is the beginning of something special....

However, the numbers are misleading. Though New Zealand took much longer, there was also much less cricket being played. In addition to this, the other countries played much better overall (a lot more draws, not as many innings defeats, etc) in test cricket.

With all that said, if they can keep this thing going, win the series, and eek out draws against quality opponents, then they will be onto something special!
Old January 11, 2005, 09:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

They not only need to draw against big teams but also need to beat biger teams like S.A,AUS, INDIA ect.

Drawing the likes of the WI and pak won't keep us playing much
test cricket.
Old January 11, 2005, 09:39 AM
Street Cricketer

Islam, I think BEATING australia is at least a decade away, and probably more.

First step is not losing by an innings to teams, then losing by smaller margins, then drawing, and then finally making push for a win.

If they pull off a win against AUS anytime soon, the entire AUS team would probably commit suicide.
Old January 11, 2005, 09:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

mshah: yes they would, but funny thing is we play better against Aus than we play against Lanka.

We just implode against them...Why is that?
Old January 11, 2005, 07:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

reasons for imploding against SL

#1 We are horrible against left arm pacers who swing it in and SL has a master of the art in Vaas.

#2We have very few ppl who are willing to attack murali.
Old January 11, 2005, 07:35 PM
Club Cricketer

[
Drawing the likes of the WI and pak won't keep us playing much
test cricket. [/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha................................................ ..
That's the best line I have heard on this website......
Ha ha ha ha ha...............................................
Old January 11, 2005, 07:46 PM
Test Cricketer

we need more writers like Rabeed Imam and Nabila Ahmed might another one is growing up
Old January 11, 2005, 10:17 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by mshah
First step is not losing by an innings to teams, then losing by smaller margins, then drawing, and then finally making push for a win.
I would like to remove "drawing" from your list. There's almost no room for draw in modern test cricket, unless weather is a reason.
Old January 11, 2005, 11:58 PM
Test Cricketer

it's good to hear aminul islam, he is one of the best batsman that ever played for bangladesh. no matter how good we get and inshallah we will be really good, aminul islam will always be an all time great. akram khan is another legend in our cricket. i am surprised i havent heard his comment. or comment from nannu. i am sure they both were present at chitagong stadium. i have alot of respect for these players, they are the one who build the structure for guys like ashraful, nafis, alok. another guy i have alot of respect for is enamul haq moni. i hear alot of people critisize him for taking up mohammed rafique's place in the team. i want to remind them that enamul haq moni didnt do so bad in the national team either. rafique's record is much better but rafique has improved recently. he is playing the best cricket of his life rightnow. before there wasnt much different between the two. rafique was a better batsman and hard hitter that is why he was considered for one day. moni use to take wicket all the time. just because rafique is playing his best cricket right now doesnt give us the right to say negative thing about enamul haq moni. i dont know how many people know this but enamul haq moni is the one who coaches enamul haq jr, who many considering will be the next mohammed rafique. we need to respect the retired players and senior players. because it is them who worked hard and won for us the icc trophy. because of that today we are playing test cricket. because of that today we are celebrating our first test victory.
Old January 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
Street Cricketer

"Drawing the likes of the WI and pak won't keep us playing much
test cricket."

If you can consistantly draw against WI and PAK, you will be playing a LOT of cricket in the future, that much is sure.
Old January 12, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Hope they don't turn too many corners too quickly. Then we will be back to square zero.