facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Angry Bangladesh's Test status is under threat again

This time it is kindda scary!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...st-status.html

Complaints about the Bangladeshis' on-field performances have been a regular theme of the last eight years, but it is financial logic that has now led the leading cricket powers to turn against them.
With a growing number of Twenty20 tournaments competing for space in the calendar, teams like England and Australia are no longer prepared to play loss-making series against a team that has failed to improve since their inaugural Test in November 2000. Bangladesh's overall record now stands at one win (against Zimbabwe) from 58 matches.
"There is no reason why a team should have to play Test matches just because it is a full member of the International Cricket Council," said ICC president David Morgan. "If a team is not gaining anything from the experience, then perhaps it might be better to settle for one-day international status."
Bangladesh's future will be discussed at the ICC executive board meeting in Perth at the end of January. They will receive little support from James Sutherland, chief executive of Cricket Australia, who told Telegraph Sport this week that he believes Bangladesh are driving down the quality of international cricket at a time when it is especially important to maintain high standards.
"With the growth in the Twenty20 market, it is important to take the clutter out of the game," said Sutherland. "We need to make sure we are playing cricket for quality's sake, not for quantity, and in recent times I'm not sure that the quality has always been there.
"The Bangladesh team that came here this year performed far worse than the previous team, which toured in 2003. It's a difficult balancing act, you want to help them develop, but we lost a lot of money hosting them and I don't think their presence is doing anything for the game."
Even one-day series – such as the one played in Australia in August and September – could become difficult for the Bangladesh Cricket Board to organise in the current climate. England, who are due to host two Tests against the Bangladeshis at the start of the 2010 summer, are especially keen to find some replacements who might be more commercially viable.
Bangladesh may be the seventh-most populous country in the world, but their development system has failed to produce any convincing international players for several years now. They have also been weakened by a spate of recent defections to the Indian Cricket League, including that of former captain Habibul Bashar.
Despite a late rally against Sri Lanka last week, which saw them fall only 107 runs short of a target of 521, Bangladesh's Test side are living on borrowed time.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

There is also a very good round table discussion by Sanjay Mandrekar, Ian Chappel and Tony Greig,
on Cricinfo, with Tony Greig calling for BD and Zim suspended from playing Test cricket, so it looks like they might not survive after 2010.

SM: Tony, one of the points that England made was their reluctance to play Bangladesh at home, purely citing commercial problems. And staying with that, let me have your thoughts on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and what their future is in world cricket…

TG: I think they both have a very limited future at the moment in terms of Test cricket. I would keep them going in the one-day game and in the Twenty20 format. I have seen some very good cricket by the Bangladesh side in the ICL. That is not real cricket and you cannot make a Test side out of those players, but they are good in the short format.

England have a point. In Australia we have used that situation quite well because we are lucky, we've got a big country; we've taken Bangladesh to Darwin, where almost no cricket is played. So at least there is a positive move there and there is some cricket in that part of the world. It may not be the greatest cricket of all times but the truth of the matter is, they are getting to watch some cricket, and as Ian pointed out, youngsters like to see their cricket stars.

Maybe England have got to think about something along those lines. But the bigger issue there is that you cannot have sides playing if they are not up to it. We have to try and get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe back to where they used to be and that is not going to happen in Zimbabwe while they have the political situation that they have going. I'm disappointed in Bangladesh, to be perfectly honest. They are taking too long and it is just not good enough.

SM: They have played 57 Tests and they have only one win, and that is against Zimbabwe.

TG: It is just not good enough, and that should be part of that discussion Ian was talking about with the stakeholders. They need to say: We need to cut back on cricket. We need to make sure the cricket that is played is good cricket, and therefore, without really being nasty to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, who need our help, both of them need to be excluded from the FTP. That will give us a few more days by eliminating both of them from Test cricket.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Nothing will happen.
India needs our vote.
period.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 2, 2009, 07:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Nothing will happen.
India needs our vote.
period.
They can suspend us. That way we can still vote for India and we wouldn't have to play Tests. It's a win-win situation for everyone except us.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Just ignore their whining, theyre completely pathetic. We've had five test series, and only one was a complete failure, being the south african away series.

Three times, we came close to winning. one vs SA, one vs SL, one vs NZ, if they bothered lookin at all these matches then they wud know that at home, BD is actually a fairly competitive test nation, and is onthe right track.
Old January 2, 2009, 08:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Just ignore their whining, theyre completely pathetic. We've had five test series, and only one was a complete failure, being the south african away series.

Three times, we came close to winning. one vs SA, one vs SL, one vs NZ, if they bothered lookin at all these matches then they wud know that at home, BD is actually a fairly competitive test nation, and is onthe right track.

May be they are setting up a situation to scare the hell out of us. And then they would let us play test cricket, but only at home. We would be playing half the amount of test cricket and still be glad about it as we did not get kicked out of the big boys club entirely. They are being bunch of fracking jackasses.

India does need our vote. However, they have so much financial clout now that we could not probably live without voting for them no matter what they do to us. It is a very unfortunate situation.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

I am going to stop watching cricket if they take out Bangladesh from the FTP. It will be a gross injustice to the players and spectators of Bangladesh. Bangladesh is starting to gel together as a test nation and I am sure all the top dogs are going to fight for their lives against them pretty soon. As Jamie Siffons says, "Year of 2009 would be the biggest year for Bangladesh Cricket." I hope the players would get a chance to prove his words.
Old January 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart
As Jamie Siffons says, "Year of 2009 would be the biggest year for Bangladesh Cricket." I hope the players would get a chance to prove his words.
Could you please mention the link of the comment made above by Siddons? Thanks a lot.
Old January 2, 2009, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh brother...the world keeps whining, and nothing ever happens. All they really can do is have a cry...India runs the cricket world - and they need our vote.
Old January 2, 2009, 08:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

ধুর! আজাইরা প্যাচাল। হাতি ঘোড়া গেলো তল টনি বলে কত জল।
নিঊজিল্যান্ড ২৬ বছর, ইন্ডিয়া মনে নাই কত ১৩ বছর মনে হয় ১ম টেষ্ট জিততে সময় লাগলো।

আমি সব সময় দেখেছি যখনই বাংলাদেশ টেষ্ট ক্রিকেটে ভালো করা শুরু করে তখনই এই সব ধুয়া উঠে। গতবার অসিদের বিরুদ্ধে যখন প্রায় টেষ্ট জিতে যাচ্ছিলাম যখন দরকার ছিলো নিরবিচ্ছিন্ন টেষ্ট খেলা তখন আমাদের প্রায় ১৩ মাসের বিরতি আসলো।

এখন আমাদের দরকার টানা টেষ্ট খেলে যাওয়া। এই সব প্যাচাল শুনার সময় নাই।
Old January 2, 2009, 08:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
নিঊজিল্যান্ড ২৬ বছর, ইন্ডিয়া মনে নাই কত ১৩ বছর মনে হয় ১ম টেষ্ট জিততে সময় লাগলো।

আমি সব সময় দেখেছি যখনই বাংলাদেশ টেষ্ট ক্রিকেটে ভালো করা শুরু করে তখনই এই সব ধুয়া উঠে। গতবার অসিদের বিরুদ্ধে যখন প্রায় টেষ্ট জিতে যাচ্ছিলাম যখন দরকার ছিলো নিরবিচ্ছিন্ন টেষ্ট খেলা তখন আমাদের প্রায় ১৩ মাসের বিরতি আসলো।

That was a long time ago. You can't rely on what happened 80-90 years ago.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

'Nuf said.

Quote:

Old January 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
কিন্তু নিউজিল্যান্ড কিংবা ভারতের তখনকার সময়ের মতো এখন তো আর সেই সময় নাই - দিন পাল্টাইছে। হারলেই আমরা নিজেদের সান্তনা দিতে ইতিহাস টেনে আনি।
Old January 2, 2009, 08:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
Could you please mention the link of the comment made above by Siddons? Thanks a lot.

Look at the bottom of it.

http://www.prothom-alo.com/archive/n...TM0MTEz&mid=OA==
Old January 2, 2009, 08:46 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

its interesting that same people all the time talk about bd test stutus. what they r thinking?
Old January 2, 2009, 08:53 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It's not so simple. India could still get our vote by keeping our full member status but suspending the right to play Test cricket.

The situation is far worse than previous cases due to the financial boom of T20 cricket. Unfortunately the move is coming at a time when we have just started to play better Test cricket, especially at home.

I would not be surprised if ICC decides to restrict Bangladesh to home Tests only.

Last edited by Miraz; January 2, 2009 at 09:01 AM..
Old January 2, 2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Second test ta jita khubi dorkar. Mendis, torey 500 taka dimu, tui desh chere palay ja!
Old January 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib & Rubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Second test ta jite khubi dorkar. Mendis, torey 500 taka dimu, tui desh chere palay ja!
i agree with you asif bhai
mendis please i will give you more money then asif bahi jus run away from bangladesh

Last edited by abz_786; January 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM..
Old January 2, 2009, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Second test ta jite khubi dorkar. Mendis, torey 500 taka dimu, tui desh chere palay ja!
ATMR Babu,

500 Take-er Kichchu Hobena. 5 Lakh Taka Debo Ki?
Old January 2, 2009, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
ATMR Babu,

Still jabe na. Threat dite hobey. lol
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old January 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

wow DJ, I am impressed
Your Bangla is improving
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
ATMR Babu,

Old January 2, 2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

BD might still play home test series.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

BCB is running by all morons.I remember when Indian batsman was struggling in the Aus,SA pitches in the 80/early 90s.They prepared bouncy and green top pitch in the mohali and some other venue.India now taking ample preparation before going to Aus or SA.you can see the result.But we are sending our teams to SA 2 days after nz tours(playing in the placid pitch of BD) without any preparation to play against bowler like steyn,ntini,mornel and Kalis.still no step has taken.our players bound to fail
Old January 2, 2009, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Hope this time also its only "Ajaira Pechal". But the reasoning this time is different - Financial aspects. Seems a bit worse situation than before. Tomorrows 2nd test is important as we don't have test series in near future after that, so the performance is important.

I have a real fear that we may be restricted to home tests only. In that case the number will be half the amount we are playing now.
Old January 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

This is so annoying!!! But finally it wont happen.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]