facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 6, 2023, 02:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy
Default [BREAKING] - Tamim Iqbal retires from international cricket

https://www.thedailystar.net/sports/...ricket-3362401

Tamim Iqbal announces retirement today. End of an era.

Quote:
"Yesterday [the game] against Afghanistan was my last in international cricket," Tamim told journalists during a press conference.

Old July 6, 2023, 02:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

I strongly believe Papon is at fault here. He has a tendency to make comments about player's decisions and in general seems to be a very authoritarian figure.

Sack Papon.
Old July 6, 2023, 03:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Should have done it perhaps 6 months ago to give time to shape up the batting order.

But anyways, well played lad. Thanks for all the memories.

The best memory will be that 6 against Zaheer Khan in the World Cup in the Caribbean like a marauder according to cricinfo or the shot belies that of a 17 year old which Bumble replies because its soon going to be his bed time.

Watching Tamim dancing down the pitch used to be one of the most amazing things to see.
Old July 6, 2023, 04:38 AM
Cricket Legend

This is in my opinion going to regress bd cricket instead of making people safe. First mashrafee, then riad and now Tamim. These guys have done plenty for bd, no one deserves to exit like this. The fact that he was crying his eye out, plenty of behind the scene drama.

I had a feeling Shakib would be the captain for team bd going to the WC, and this just finalized it.

Regardless of how you feel about Tamim, he has given us fans plenty to cherish about. Thank you and happy retirement.
Old July 6, 2023, 04:43 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I feel sad for tamim, form left him in the wrong time along with injuries in wrong time. He really wanted to play the world cup. if his knew he wont play the WC I believe he would have retired last year from ODI cricket.

Papon's dirty hand print is all over this
Old July 6, 2023, 05:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I feel sad for tamim, form left him in the wrong time along with injuries in wrong time. He really wanted to play the world cup. if his knew he wont play the WC I believe he would have retired last year from ODI cricket.

Papon's dirty hand print is all over this
Not just papon, the coach is also the culprit. Apprently relationship between him and coach was down the gutter. I said it before, this idiot will come and destroy bd cricket and he is on a mission. To f up a team co close to the WC is ridiculous
Old July 6, 2023, 05:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Its very sad that guys like Tamim and Shakib play for a **** team like Bangladesh
Old July 6, 2023, 05:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Dont think Tamim would have lasted this long if he played for most of the top tier teams based on his fitness when he went fat and regular poor scores to go with it. Although he would have been in a better sporting dressing room, better coaching and mental facilities and his ego would have been kept in checked.

But he has been Bangladesh's best and most exciting opener in ODI.
Old July 6, 2023, 05:53 AM
Cricket Guru

I met Tamim in Medina as he was about to enter the Prophet's pbuh mosque for Fajr prayers.

I saw him again later in the hotel, and when I waved to him he came straight to me while talking on the phone. I motioned him to finish his call. We had a small chat which was nice. I think I spoke to him Mama while waiting for Tamim to finish his call, for a longer time and he seemed like a nice guy as well.

There were other people with him, and I only recognised his wife.

Last edited by adamnsu; July 6, 2023 at 07:22 AM..
Old July 6, 2023, 06:41 AM
Test Cricketer

This is a knee jerk reaction from Tamim. I guess they took the loss against Afg very seriously.

Yes, Haturu followed by Papon is at fault here. Tamim is still no where as bad Mashrafe was during 2019. I still believe he has something to offer in the opening slot.
Old July 6, 2023, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

A bit late but good decision, thanks for all.
He isn't being selfish as Mashrafee was during last WC
Old July 6, 2023, 07:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

The best and consistent opener Bangladesh ever had in test and ODI format. We never found the right partner for him.

Thank you Tamim for all the memories. A true tiger and a patriot. Maybe we can hear him in commentary box.

I do not think this is such a bad decision, though he would have preferred to finish it off with this world cup but unfortunately he had a bit too much of a gap recently.

anyways I think tamim would have contributed far betteer than mashrafee last world cup. I am sorry but Mash was UNFIT to play. Tamim can still fly to catch a ball and play his glorious cover drive.
Old July 6, 2023, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

But this was unexpected and a bit shocking news for me. I don't think anyone qustioned his inclusion this WC.

If he gets replaced by that moron soumya sarker (and i say this being a sarkar fan for a loong time), hathuri should be kicked out of the team the moment sarker scores a duck. HIs inclusion would be illogical.
Old July 6, 2023, 07:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
But this was unexpected and a bit shocking news for me. I don't think anyone qustioned his inclusion this WC.

If he gets replaced by that moron soumya sarker (and i say this being a sarkar fan for a loong time), hathuri should be kicked out of the team the moment sarker scores a duck. HIs inclusion would be illogical.
This is my fear aswell. Coach has a hard on for Sharkar. If this was prime Sharkar, no question about that but this form of Sharkar, I don't even want to pick him for parar cricket.

Also, the dude was still scoring runs (off form a bit) - really unprofessional all around, from Tamim, papon and coach. We were about to enter the WC as the most experienced team and now we will enter as jokesters. Forget semi final, will be happy to win vs afg/scotland-ned.
Old July 6, 2023, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

I am sad to see Tamim go.
This does bring about the end of an era.

While it has been sad to see Tamim become Slow-mim and Mr. Benson, he could have stuck around for the Test side.

But, I guess age is the age-old enemy ( no pun intended ). You can't fight age. He realized his time is up and has bowed out gracefully.

Old July 6, 2023, 08:29 AM
Test Cricketer

It's likely that Tamim as a captain wanted Riyad, and Taijul as an all-rounder. He wasn't given freedom to choose as captain.
Old July 6, 2023, 08:32 AM
Cricket Guru

The team has been transitioning for some time as the senior players are getting too old. I think without Tamim it gives the team a chance to start giving chances to other players not the ones that have been thrown in the garbage like Sarkar or poor choices like Talukdar Yasir Ali (hold back you stooges).

Holding on to Tamim for a bit longer to the WC would have been a logical choice given how close the tournament is.

Conspiracy drama baaz fans may say this is how Tamim is protesting so BCB beg him to play the WC.
Old July 6, 2023, 09:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
The team has been transitioning for some time as the senior players are getting too old. I think without Tamim it gives the team a chance to start giving chances to other players not the ones that have been thrown in the garbage like Sarkar or poor choices like Talukdar Yasir Ali (hold back you stooges).

Holding on to Tamim for a bit longer to the WC would have been a logical choice given how close the tournament is.

Conspiracy drama baaz fans may say this is how Tamim is protesting so BCB beg him to play the WC.
He was always going to be in the WC as a captain/opener. His record as captain rival's mashrafee.

Honestly this close to the WC, this was not required. Had it been a year back, it was fine. Papon is such a cancer
Old July 6, 2023, 09:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Tamim can still fly to catch a ball and play his glorious cover drive.
At first I read "Tamim can still catch a fly.."...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 6, 2023, 09:50 AM
Test Cricketer

What this shows is that Tamim would've been a mentally weak captain in the WC anyway. My biggest worry now is who is going to replace Tamim as an opener? Naim Sheikh?
Old July 6, 2023, 09:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookFinder
This is a knee jerk reaction from Tamim. I guess they took the loss against Afg very seriously.

Yes, Haturu followed by Papon is at fault here. Tamim is still no where as bad Mashrafe was during 2019. I still believe he has something to offer in the opening slot.
Probably blessing in disguise. He is:
  • injury prone
  • can't remember any monumental memorable innings
  • you need something 126/70 type innings in the World Cup if not fast, aggressive centuries like Indian and England players -- ALL of which he failed to provide recently
  • already retired from T20s...
  • I personally think he peaked in his BPL innings where he played freely with a gazillion SR with the fastest century ever
  • I wonder what his SR is...as an opener you cannot forever have a brittle SR

Obviously I love Tamim. But he has long been a deadweight missing out on many, many matches. Thank you for service and God bless. Now...go to Joe Rogan to discuss who killed JFK at Roswell.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 6, 2023, 10:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Very sad to hear he go. The situation must be serious, otherwise he would have finished this running series at least and get a last match ovation. Nonetheless, Salute soldier!
Old July 6, 2023, 10:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Some of my former colleagues who are members of the MCC told me how great it was to see Tamim batting in Tests. But they highlighted that if his mentality could somehow be improved so that he could become more consistent.
Old July 6, 2023, 10:28 AM
Cricket Guru

The thing it that this paves the way for the inclusion of Sarkar which I am worried of. BCB will argue he is a past opener and a "handy" bowler. Coach will probably support this decision.

But I will be extremely disappointed if they take him or Talukder. But then again do we have a choice? How is this Naim guy who is in the team for the Afghanistan series?
Old July 6, 2023, 10:52 AM
Test Cricketer

I had hoped at least slim chance of a semi, but now I realized that all these guys are just bunch of emotional fools. Even if he is going to retire which is fine, why is he crying? What kind of professionalism is that?