facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 28, 2004, 11:50 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default Secret Behind Rafique Insident

Looks like BCB finally released the report of all the inquiry and what happened at the night before the 5th ODI. At least this is what it looks like atfter reading this Bangladesher Khela Column . Check it out. Its really threatening. It accuses the two best piller of our cricket of this time, sumon and whatmore.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by AgentSmith]

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by AgentSmith]

Old March 29, 2004, 12:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Just read the article. I don't know his cricketing credentials but didn't take long to figure out that he has none. He still wants shujon to retain his spot and captaincy, though a novice can see that in terms of ability alone, shujon cannot and should not warrant a spot in the team. Its all speculation on his part it seems about what happened. he questions Bashar's captaincy. On what ? How can you assess him as a captain based on one test and three ODI's? This guy attacks Whatmore for apparently taking Bashars side. What if Whatmore took rafiq's side? would this writer criticize him? I doubt it. What is he trying to start? Anyway..won't make too much off it. We need both rafiq and bashar. There will always be writers who let personal friendship or acquantence come between their journalistic integrity. The article was horribly one-sided as it completely failed to fault rafiq an inch. The truth will probably be never known. I have a feeling that both men were guilty to a certain degree.
Old March 29, 2004, 01:22 AM
Cricket Legend

shala doinik manab jameen-er ojoggo reporter-er eishob report-er kono mullo nai. you might as well read the national enquirer or something.
Old March 29, 2004, 03:53 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default hairey amar emotional Bangali bhaira ...

Here in the States, there are two expressions I really like, and one of them is "Sh*t happens!". Essentially, the phrase implies that sometimes unpleasant things happen in life, but one should look at the big picture, just grin and bear it with a shrug, and move on .

Unfortunately we Bangladeshis are the masters of the emotional drama. It starts early, with our mothers unveiling the "noy maash petay raksi ki ei dukhkho pawar ..." line the first time we defy their wishes, and continues with our journalists dishing out such headlines as "chi! bashar! chi! Whatmore". In fact I recall one of our former Nat. coaches (Greenidge perhaps) commenting that "your reporters are emotional & subjective." No wonder Alexandar (aka Iskandar) thought aloud "hai Selucas, ki bichitro ei desh".

From the many accounts I have read on the Rafique incident, the whole thing appears to be a matter of sarcastic comments between two snr cricketers that just went way too far. I think AgentSmith posted a link to jai-jai-din article, which I thought raised some valuable points.

Men in the heat of battle will often say things they will later wish they hadn't. It will be yet another step in the evolution of our cricketers when they become professional enough to handle "khotas" without getting their "prestige hampered" and our reporters will stop pontification and start doing that which their job title implies - namely reporting.

BTW, in case you were wondering, the other American expression I really like is "Don't let the door hit your a** on your way out". That's all I have to say to Mr. Shahidul Ajam of Doinik Manobjomin.
Old March 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Its all speculation on his part it seems about what happened. he questions Bashar's captaincy. On what ? How can you assess him as a captain based on one test and three ODI's? This guy attacks Whatmore for apparently taking Bashars side
May be with the lone success of Bashar-Whatmore combination, some people got jealous?
Old March 29, 2004, 12:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

As long as DS and Prothom-alo remains such slow updaters of news (P-Alo is much better than DS though); we will remain stuck with this poor Bangladesherkhela news....sad
Old March 29, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

you are 100% correct. I wish DS and P-alo could update a bit earlier in a separate sports ticker. bangladesherkhela is quick to update and I only check it out for that purpose. Their articles are poorly written. The columists are terrible.
Old March 29, 2004, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

jaihok,
ami jugantor khub akta beshi pori na kintu prothom alo kintu amar mone hoi na khub akta kharap lekhe. bondhu bhai utpol shubro ar lekha kintu amar besh bhaloi lage. prothom alo derite khobor dileo amar mone hoi shob cheye reliable source prothom alo. karon prothom alo amar jotodur mone pore tara kokhono bhool khobor dibe na. tobe jai hok asha kori beparta khub akta serious hobe na. asha kori team ar modhhe abar shanti fire ashbe. tobe akhon ja mone hochhe je bashar mather bhitore tini khub akta kharap dayitto palon korenni kintu mather baire tini kintu khub akta bhalo perform korte parenni. onekta mosha marte kaman dagar moton bepar hoye giyeche. oidin jodi bashar situation ta thik moton handle korte parto tahole rafiqke age deshe ferot ashte hoto na. ebong ke jane hoito oi match a amra joi petam. oi match a prothomoto amader rafiq chilo na ebong tarpor doler monobol bhenge giyechilo. dannabad.
Old March 29, 2004, 02:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

I agree with other ppl about "Prothom-Alo". It seems like they take care of the sports section where the most of other newspapers just write the sports section to fill the space, nothing else. There is one Indian bangla newspaper www.aajkal.net there sports section is also good. If you are covering Ind-Pak series you should check it out. However they update very late.
Old March 29, 2004, 02:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

This Shahidul Azam guy seems to whine all the time. He just does not seem to find any positive anywhere.

From journalistic point of view I think he himself is performing at a very low level.

No doubt Rafique is one of the most valuable players in BD team. But no one is above the law. If he breaks the code of conduct he should be punished. Let the board do their job.
Old March 29, 2004, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I don't understand BD reporters of the Bangla newspapers. May be our beloved language is amotional it self, meaning whenever we Bangladeshis try to express anything in Bangla it come out more emotional then it really is. to me BD journalists write with their heart which is corrupt with emotion, rather with their head. They are very quick to jump into conclusion, as if dividing the team and then taking side is going to achive a greater good then an united effort from the team. I actually welcome the fact that a player (in this case it was Rafiq) was sent home under the disciplinery ground as nobody is above the laws set forth for the wellbeing of BD cricket team. As we've seen before that their's a tendency of overlooking a senior/ good players fault due to his performance or reputaion, in future it's not going to happen as we have foreign blood in the current cricket board. This Rafig instance should be an eye-opener for the whole BD team. Behave or be sidelined.
Old March 29, 2004, 06:38 PM
Club Cricketer

While its true that 'prothom alo' does take extra care in the sports report section, but sometimes i get completely confused with their presentation style. The news some times become 'gouno' and the analogies or side stories become 'mukho'. a good example is the covering of india-pakistan matches. very little news with too much 'bok-bokani'. just my personal view, no intention to hurt anyone.
Old March 29, 2004, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Habibul Bashar on Daily Star:"I don't want the sad incident in Harare to spoil our good friendship. I have talked to him (Rafique) today and sooner or later things will be ok," said the new Bangladesh captain.

.....sooner or later things will be ok? I don't like this. doesn't this actually mean that things are still not ok?

someone really needs to pull this two by their ears and knock one's head with the other and say "aari bhango".
Old March 30, 2004, 10:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Smith bro! I wouldn't read too much into that...could be a "lost in translation" case

My message to the two gentlemen "Grow up!"
Old March 31, 2004, 12:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Surely our language is overly emotional. I struggled quite a bit in adapting to writing in an 'to-the-point' american style of writing. Did other people on this board struggle with writing (essays or otherwise) in a foreign environment?
Old March 31, 2004, 01:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

For us readers that can't read Bangla, can someone tell us what actually happened?
Thanks.
Old March 31, 2004, 01:41 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

In short:
Price came to Rafiq for some tips. Rafiq was more than happy to give some tips. As Rafiq and Price was talking/or finished talking; Bashar came with Rana to Price. Then Bashar asked Price to give some tips to Rana.

Bashar asked this infront of Rafiq. At that, Price said, "Rafiq is better bowler than me, you should really ask him." Bashar said, "Rafiq doesn't want to give tips to anyone."

Rafiq got furious at that accusation, and started the heated argument/cursing and what not. His main point is, "Why would Bashar insult him infornt of a foreign player, while he is more than eager to help and give tips to anyone in team.".

Thats the story in short.
Old March 31, 2004, 01:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Lol! And how does Whatmore come into this? And who wants Sujon back?

Thanks a lot for the translation.
Old March 31, 2004, 10:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Bashar said, "Rafiq doesn't want to give tips to anyone."

Is this true? It's hard to believe. We can see there that Rafiq gave tips to Price.

Okay....assume it's ture. Rafiq does not give any tips to anyone. Ok? Now, the question is...how wise for a captain to tell this to a foreign player? Rafiq belongs to his own team. Doesn't it look bad on him at the first place?

I see here Sumon in clear fault. Rafiq's fault started later on......

But what a solution! Tears in Sumon's eyes! Sent Rafiq back!

I feel pity for Rafiq. He was bullied too much there......

You cant do it specially if you are the Lead. Does Sumon know what is Lead's role?

I think we gave him Lead role without preparing him for it.
Old March 31, 2004, 10:54 AM
Cricket Legend

are bap zhogra zhati to amra choto belay kortam khelar shomoy. era to dekhi bura boyosheo zhograzhati kore. eder kobe je ai shobhbabta jabe ki jane. tobe joto taratari jabe doler jonno tototai mongol. dannabad.
Old March 31, 2004, 11:56 AM

now, my question is if this that was IT, don't u guys think sending rafique home before that crucial match was too much? it could be solved then and there.
Old March 31, 2004, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend

well agentsmith bhai,
ki ar kora bolen. akhon jeta hoye gese sheta hoyai gese. akhon to ar bole labh nai. ato boro akta shujog amader hat chara hoye gelo. ki ar kora. jaihok, asha kori bhobishhote erokom strong decision newar age coach captain manager aro bhebe dekhben. ebong asha korbo tar bhobishhote choto jinishte khamkha tene boro korben na ebong scene create korar cheshta korbenna. oi din ichha korlai bashar ghotonata thik bhabe tackle korle ajke oi ghotonata ato dur egoto na. dannabad.
Old March 31, 2004, 03:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Faltu vai, akta kaz kintu khub kora jabay. manager k borkhasto kora jabay.
Old March 31, 2004, 08:39 PM
Retired BC Admin

Now, a different view for a change. Purely speculation. Suppose, it is true that Rafique doesn't like to give tips to his compatriots. So, Sumon took the opportunity to give him a lesson and get the tips at the same time. Cheap trick but sure to succeed. From this scenario, either Rafique has a low mind or Sumon is an idiot. Again purely speculation.
Old March 31, 2004, 10:15 PM
Cricket Legend

This senseless bickering MUST stop. It could end up being the undoing of all the progress we have made.